Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #27721
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Here's an easy one for you riders with disc brakes. Are they a quantum leap forward in terms of effectiveness when compared to conventional caliper brakes. So good, in fact, that stoppies can be achieved??

Or not....
I made the switch from tektro v brakes... My decision to switch came from necessity...if you ride the same rims too long, they wear out, and on a steep decent all of a sudden i completely lost my front brakes because there wasnt enough material to disperse the heat created...melted the pads, sh** my pants, and thankfully didnt hit anything hard...

And i am very happy with my new brakes, went with avid BB5 cable brakes, easily 2x the stopping power over the v brakes, and better modulation...

As for stoppies, hehehe i can pedal to 15mph, get my weight as far over the rear wheel as i possibly can (whole body behind the seat) grab a handful and pick the rear end up as far as i dare....i found out if you arent careful you can take it too far....LOL thats what i get for abusively trying to bed the pads when they were new....LOL
bogieboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #27722
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yes, and yes. Although, on the trail my front will lock and slide before I do a stoppie. Gummee! is right, they stop the same all the time wet or dry. They tend to not get as muddy either, and when they do get some mud on them they self clean much better than the old v-style brakes. The bike I have now is the first I have had with disks, and I will not be going back.

Note: I only ride MTB bikes. No good cross trails here (well, one trail a cross bike would probably work fairly well), and I am terrified of riding on the roads.
You need better tires suited for the terrain if ya cant stoppie.....LOL
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #27723
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Here's an easy one for you riders with disc brakes. Are they a quantum leap forward in terms of effectiveness when compared to conventional caliper brakes. So good, in fact, that stoppies can be achieved??

Or not....
Brakes are as good as what they are tuned for. For trials (not trails), we use disk, magura hydraulics, and V. They all work well enough to stand you on one end or the other, the disks however, you have modulation. Canti's work great when set up properly for touring..... Maybe others. My bb7's work great on my wife's ogre and my Fargo. My disks are AWESOME on my MTB bike. I am not fond of v-brakes due to the skinny pads, they wear out to fast in mud.

I think that about covers it. If it works for what it is intended, it is still around.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #27724
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
Most people riding motorcycles ride them like they drive SUV's, i.e. with their heads planted in their butts.
And they think of bicycles and motorcycles as toys. Since they don't ever ride a motorcycle when it is anything other than convenient for them and their activities.
These are also the guys most likely to tell you they would ride, if their wife would allow them...
I gave up attempting to educate either the cages or the motorcyclists or for that matter the asshat cyclists who piss me off.
Given a choice I'd ride my bicycles and never drive or ride a motorcycle again.

But, my wife won't let me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The 'bicycles on the road' thread got bumped a few days back up in 'the perfect line.'

Not a few days later comes a post from someone about losing his temper after getting harassed by a car on his MC. I don't get why there's this big disconnect between the 2 forms of transportation that rely on 2 wheels. 'Y'all' get all aggro when someone does that shit to you on a MC, but yet, you turn around and do it to bicyclists?!

People are either hypocritical or just plain stupid. I haven't figured out which yet.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #27725
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Very nice. I have a brother in Berkeley and a sister who just moved from Emeryville to Concord. I had a chance to do part of that route with my brother a few years ago.
Thanks! Out to the peninsula this Saturday for 60/6500. Oh, the joys.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #27726
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Me too. S'why I'm going to wait for a Chinese knockoff.

@Moodfart: that -1 is perfect. Rival is a good group. 2 of my 3 bikes have a mix of that and everything else SRAM makes.

M
Quote:
The 'bicycles on the road' thread got bumped a few days back up in 'the perfect line.'

Not a few days later comes a post from someone about losing his temper after getting harassed by a car on his MC. I don't get why there's this big disconnect between the 2 forms of transportation that rely on 2 wheels. 'Y'all' get all aggro when someone does that shit to you on a MC, but yet, you turn around and do it to bicyclists?!

People are either hypocritical or just plain stupid. I haven't figured out which yet.

M
+1 on the SRAM stuff. I've a mix of Apex/Rival on the 'cross bike and X0/X9 on the MTB. Shifts nice, durable and doesn't require a lot of adjustment.

Re: hypocrisy and stupidity. Both, usually simultaneously.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #27727
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Most people riding motorcycles ride them like they drive SUV's, i.e. with their heads planted in their butts.
And they think of bicycles and motorcycles as toys. Since they don't ever ride a motorcycle when it is anything other than convenient for them and their activities.
These are also the guys most likely to tell you they would ride, if their wife would allow them...
I gave up attempting to educate either the cages or the motorcyclists or for that matter the asshat cyclists who piss me off.
Given a choice I'd ride my bicycles and never drive or ride a motorcycle again.

But, my wife won't let me.
yabbutt... I'm talking about posters HERE! Up in the Perfect Line. You'd think they'd know better.

The ones in JM too when that thread surfaces for breath every now and again.

M

Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #27728
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

So...got my clipless setup on my bikes today, never ridden clipless before, and was told get used to falling while learning...LOL everyone was right...i was fine till i tried to get technical, went 5 miles of mounting and dismounting no issue...decided to hop over a railroad tie that was used to block off a parking lot...and landed on my side with a bike stuck to me....LOL only injury is a bit of a bruise from landing on my keys in my pocket.

I can say however, you can build a good bit more speed with the clipless than the old school toe clips...both on my mtb and my roadie...hopefully i will be able to learn panic dismounts rather quickly....it sucks trying to clip out while on your back...LOL
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #27729
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I'm lucky enough not to have fallen over with my clipless pedals yet but I've only ridden with them a couple times for short distances. I bet my time will come soon enough!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #27730
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'm lucky enough not to have fallen over with my clipless pedals yet but I've only ridden with them a couple times for short distances. I bet my time will come soon enough!
Oh yes, it will... even after 20 years of clipping in. Rolled up to the car after finishing a nice ride on my 39th birthday and fell over in the parking lot. Couldn't unclip due to losing a screw in the cleat, which meant the other screw held it firmly in the pedal.
That day I learned another of yet another application for blue Loctite.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #27731
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
So...got my clipless setup on my bikes today, never ridden clipless before, and was told get used to falling while learning...LOL everyone was right...i was fine till i tried to get technical, went 5 miles of mounting and dismounting no issue...decided to hop over a railroad tie that was used to block off a parking lot...and landed on my side with a bike stuck to me....LOL only injury is a bit of a bruise from landing on my keys in my pocket.

I can say however, you can build a good bit more speed with the clipless than the old school toe clips...both on my mtb and my roadie...hopefully i will be able to learn panic dismounts rather quickly....it sucks trying to clip out while on your back...LOL

It'll come naturally before you know it. That's not to say you won't have a brain fart now and then. Blue Loctite good stuff on cleats
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #27732
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
It'll come naturally before you know it. That's not to say you won't have a brain fart now and then. Blue Loctite good stuff on cleats
Haha im sure it will, just a bit different than i am used ti with the toe clips...gitta work on the twist out instead of straight back like my toe clips...but i can already tell theres a lot more power to be had with clipless...LOL
Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #27733
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Thanks! Out to the peninsula this Saturday for 60/6500. Oh, the joys.
Be safe bud....
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #27734
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Saw this pic and it reinforced 'where MCs come from.'

Lots of in this pic.

M
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #27735
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Some dismounts happen so quickly that no amount of training will allow you to unclip in time. I've seen very experienced racers being flung down the road with their bikes still attached to them, and I've also seen it happen on the trails.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: