User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #27721
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,306
Are you holding your grips too tightly while you're riding? Also, when I hit rocks/drops/roots, I'm usually off the saddle, seat squeezed between my bent knees with a loose grip on my bars. I can't really relate to having my weight come down on my bars, usually everything is weighting the pedals. How are your gloves?
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #27722
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've had great results with my Ergon GP1 grips. I know they're contour, but, I don't notice any difference when standing up. For sure, I'll never go back to a round grip.
Those are the same grips I'm using. They're very heavy compared to foam grips though, and I need to get my bike down to 22 lbs. so I can be as fast as all the pro racers.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #27723
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,883
@A: Sounds like you're stem's too low rather than any fault of the grips. I haven't seen you on a bike, so that's a WAG. AFA answering your question: I'm using the same grips I've had on my bike since the early 2000s and haven't tried anything different.

In other news: this one from the WTF file

More WTF?! Ummm anyone else think that this thing shouldn't be worn by males?

M
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #27724
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Are you holding your grips too tightly while you're riding? Also, when I hit rocks/drops/roots, I'm usually off the saddle, seat squeezed between my bent knees with a loose grip on my bars. I can't really relate to having my weight come down on my bars, usually everything is weighting the pedals.
That's how I ride, too, except I don't use my knees to hold the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Those are the same grips I'm using. They're very heavy compared to foam grips though, and I need to get my bike down to 22 lbs. so I can be as fast as all the pro racers.
Ahhh! You're too much.

Absolutely, do not look here.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #27725
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Are you holding your grips too tightly while you're riding?
No. I was doing that when I first started riding, but I'd get cramps in my hands, so now I concentrate on keeping a fairly loose grip on the bars. The only time I consciously tighten my grip is when I'm bouncing over big rocks and roots, where I'm afraid the handlebars may be wrenched out of my hands if I don't grip them tightly enough.

Quote:
Also, when I hit rocks/drops/roots, I'm usually off the saddle, seat squeezed between my bent knees with a loose grip on my bars. I can't really relate to having my weight come down on my bars, usually everything is weighting the pedals. How are your gloves?
I'm using standard issue padded gloves. Are you supposed to squeeze the seat between your knees in those situations? I was told to do just the opposite and to let the bike move around under me, but that makes keeping my balance on the bike more difficult when standing.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #27726
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Ahhh! You're too much.

Absolutely, do not look here.
No hard tail for me, unfortunately. I test rode an 18 lb hard tail belonging to a local racer. I was so battered after just one mile that I couldn't wait to get off the thing.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #27727
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
@A: Sounds like you're stem's too low rather than any fault of the grips.
The ergos were worked out by the shop owner who built the bike. He's an ex-racer who happens to be exactly my size and weight, so I figured the setup has to be right.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #27728
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
I'm using standard issue padded gloves. Are you supposed to squeeze the seat between your knees in those situations? I was told to do just the opposite and to let the bike move around under me, but that makes keeping my balance on the bike more difficult when standing.
I was taught to do that when I started riding mountain bikes as a kid, I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it keeps me attached to the bikes while allowing my arms to stay loose and bent at the elbows.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #27729
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was taught to do that when I started riding mountain bikes as a kid, I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it keeps me attached to the bikes while allowing my arms to stay loose and bent at the elbows.
I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #27730
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Nice! Any pics of that S-Works you mentioned earlier?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #27731
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice! Any pics of that S-Works you mentioned earlier?
I haven't taken any pictures of it myself, but it shows up in a photo one of my riding buddies took of his new Niner yesterday. Hint: mine is the white one.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #27732
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Damn! nice ride!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #27733
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Aurelius:

Obviously I haven't watched you ride, but looking at the photo- your saddle seems way forward, & the stem seems fairly short. That could account for some forward weight bias, just my $.02. Nice rig
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #27734
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,883
Quote:
The ergos were worked out by the shop owner who built the bike. He's an ex-racer who happens to be exactly my size and weight, so I figured the setup has to be right.
Obviously something's off.

M
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #27735
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Damn! nice ride!
It seems to be quite the chick magnet. Three girls yelled, 'Nice bike!'... as they passed me on the trail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: