Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #27856
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Ouch! Quite the adventure start to the season.
I will get to see my Roubaix in about seven hours. But, zero time to ride while I'm home. I need to work on the motorcycle and get it up to snuff, then some plumbing work on the house.

I think I'm in good waterbottle practice as I use one at work, and have only dropped it once at my desk.
The peleton sprinted in a feed zone I think.

That's the first time I've dropped a bottle in 2 years. And NATURALLY I was right next to a storm drain...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #27857
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931

YakSpout brings the funny.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #27858
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Another one for Ricky:

Nicolai gets fat

M
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #27859
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Tomorrow is Demonstration forest Santa Cruz
Man, I really have to get down and check out the demo.

It's right at a year since I moved to the Bay Area. I've done a good bit of road biking -- the fun factor for road biking is way higher here than back east.

But my mountain bikes are gathering dust. It's just been too much easier to hop on my road bike, rather than having to load up the mountain bike and drive a pretty good distance to a trail. And I haven't been that excited by the few trails I've been on. Not that much actual tight singletrack, and not much technical challenge. (Huge aerobic challenge getting up these bigger mountains, though.)

I've been starting to think about paring the stable way down, to just a road bike and a beater commuter. The thought makes me sad; I've had a ton of good times on my mountain bikes.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #27860
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
@Oznerol,
before you give another milliseconds consideration to letting your MTB go, you should know that though the road riding opportunities right out of your door are wonderful, there's also a good bit of decent trail near you. (i once lived where you are now, and part of the reason i moved to this part of the world was for the cycling opportunities.

for starters, without going all the way to the Demo Forest, you've got all the stuff that the Mid-Peninsula Open Space district (mis-)manages, with many people saying the crown jewel in the system being El Corte de Madera (often referred to be the name of the Scenic Overlook where people park near it: "Skeggs").
if you haven't also explored everything accessible off of the end of Stevens Canyon, connecting in with the network out of Saratoga Gap and/or Alpine Road, you're missing some great potential fun.
a little further up the Pen' is the small but technically interesting Water Dog Park.
if you're up for hauling it over the hill as far as Demo, you probably don't want to miss getting over to the coast to check out Wilder Ranch, and definitely don't want to miss out checking out Tamarancho in Marin.

that's all i'm going to tell you about in a public forum. after you've checked that out, get back to me if you want to know about more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Man, I really have to get down and check out the demo.

It's right at a year since I moved to the Bay Area. I've done a good bit of road biking -- the fun factor for road biking is way higher here than back east.

But my mountain bikes are gathering dust. It's just been too much easier to hop on my road bike, rather than having to load up the mountain bike and drive a pretty good distance to a trail. And I haven't been that excited by the few trails I've been on. Not that much actual tight singletrack, and not much technical challenge. (Huge aerobic challenge getting up these bigger mountains, though.)

I've been starting to think about paring the stable way down, to just a road bike and a beater commuter. The thought makes me sad; I've had a ton of good times on my mountain bikes.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #27861
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Not my size, but my first 'real' road bike was a PDM Concorde and I want another!

M
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #27862
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,896
First race of the season today. St. Patrick's day Duathlon in Hampstead, MD. 3 mile run/18 mile bike/2.5 mile run. 34 degrees with overcast skies, wind from the N/Ne at 4 mph. Intermittent periods of precipitation.

Wasn't *too* bad, despite the fact that the course was variously peppered at times with cold rain, sleet, snow, you name it. My first run was pretty good for me, turned it in at 27 mins. I freakin' rocked the cycling section, especially since the race organizer cut it down to 11 miles because of snow on the road in some of the tight corners. ? The countryside in that area of MD reeeeally reminds me of where I grew up, the foothills of North Carolina. Lots of short, sharp descents, a quick hammer on level ground for a hundred or so yards, then a short, sharp ascent. I felt very at home cycling in that countryside. My CAAD9 wearing the Ultegra group once again handled like a champ, and I love my orange Vittorias. They stayed glued to the road (the conditions were never icy enough to make me nervous - just enough damp on the roads to increase surface tension).

UNfortunately, it's become *very* clear to me that while my run/bike is pretty good, my bike/run SUUUUUUCKS. I had plenty of cardio, breath wasn't the problem. It was my legs - they felt like crap and I couldn't get a nice stride going - all I could manage was this retarded little trot. I spotted a transition workout a while back that was basically an hour & a half of alternating biking & running for 10 minutes each, and I think I'm going to add that into the mix.

Now, I've promised myself to enter four races this year. What should I do next? Should I
A) Enter another duathlon of similar length to enter, and see if I can improve on my times
B) Double-down on the stupidity and sign up for the Olympic Duathlon in July with double the lengths (10k run/48? k bike/10 k run)
C) go to a different discipline altogether and find a nice time trial to enter somewhere? I did want to finally knock out a century ride this year, after all...
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #27863
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
for starters, without going all the way to the Demo Forest, you've got all the stuff that the Mid-Peninsula Open Space district (mis-)manages, with many people saying the crown jewel in the system being El Corte de Madera (often referred to be the name of the Scenic Overlook where people park near it: "Skeggs").
Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually rode El Corte de Madera a while back, and wasn't that amazed. Maybe I was on the wrong trails. Overall you're right -- I need to explore more before I do anything drastic.

Another factor to mention is that I have a lot of other activities. The move out here got me back on a motorcycle after 6 years away, I've gotten into trail running and more serious about hiking and backpacking, I'm lifting weights again regularly after a near-decade break, boulder at the gym at least once a week, and so on.

I doubt I'll sell the bikes. Chances are I'll get back to it at some point, and it'd be worth the trouble to hang on to my full suspension rig just for a once-yearly trip to Utah.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #27864
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
First race of the season today. St. Patrick's day Duathlon in Hampstead, MD. 3 mile run/18 mile bike/2.5 mile run. 34 degrees with overcast skies, wind from the N/Ne at 4 mph. Intermittent periods of precipitation.

Wasn't *too* bad, despite the fact that the course was variously peppered at times with cold rain, sleet, snow, you name it. My first run was pretty good for me, turned it in at 27 mins. I freakin' rocked the cycling section, especially since the race organizer cut it down to 11 miles because of snow on the road in some of the tight corners. ? The countryside in that area of MD reeeeally reminds me of where I grew up, the foothills of North Carolina. Lots of short, sharp descents, a quick hammer on level ground for a hundred or so yards, then a short, sharp ascent. I felt very at home cycling in that countryside. My CAAD9 wearing the Ultegra group once again handled like a champ, and I love my orange Vittorias. They stayed glued to the road (the conditions were never icy enough to make me nervous - just enough damp on the roads to increase surface tension).

UNfortunately, it's become *very* clear to me that while my run/bike is pretty good, my bike/run SUUUUUUCKS. I had plenty of cardio, breath wasn't the problem. It was my legs - they felt like crap and I couldn't get a nice stride going - all I could manage was this retarded little trot. I spotted a transition workout a while back that was basically an hour & a half of alternating biking & running for 10 minutes each, and I think I'm going to add that into the mix.

Now, I've promised myself to enter four races this year. What should I do next? Should I
A) Enter another duathlon of similar length to enter, and see if I can improve on my times
B) Double-down on the stupidity and sign up for the Olympic Duathlon in July with double the lengths (10k run/48? k bike/10 k run)
C) go to a different discipline altogether and find a nice time trial to enter somewhere? I did want to finally knock out a century ride this year, after all...
Meh. Skip all that and go straight to an Xterra event!

You wanna ride a century? c'mon down. I've got at least 2 100mi loops we can ride.

M
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #27865
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
yeah, OK; i think ECdM isn't what so many people seem to make it out to be, especially since i know what it was like before MidPen took it over and closed down all the best single-track,...
still, it's very pretty in spots for a place that isn't really Old Growth, and you should make sure that you find someone who will show you around the best places there before you dismiss it.
then, make a day in Marin of it, go get your ticket and go check out Tamarancho. i think you'd have a hard time not liking it. i think it's as cool as the Demo forest, but in a different way.

and welcome to the 'hood. you're in a great spot for the kind of stuff you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually rode El Corte de Madera a while back, and wasn't that amazed. Maybe I was on the wrong trails. Overall you're right -- I need to explore more before I do anything drastic.

Another factor to mention is that I have a lot of other activities. The move out here got me back on a motorcycle after 6 years away, I've gotten into trail running and more serious about hiking and backpacking, I'm lifting weights again regularly after a near-decade break, boulder at the gym at least once a week, and so on.

I doubt I'll sell the bikes. Chances are I'll get back to it at some point, and it'd be worth the trouble to hang on to my full suspension rig just for a once-yearly trip to Utah.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #27866
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
So, at a demo the other day the bike I rode had tires that were 2.3 inch diameter. Mine are 2.1 inch. Other than the fact this bike was a full suspension compared to my hard-tail, the tires were immediately noticeable on the trail.

Question is, I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I liked them, but I don't know enough about riding in general to know if I should pursue getting a set for my bike (or if they would even fit )

Anyway, why would someone want slightly larger tires? Pros and cons of a 2.3 over my current 2.1.

Ready, GO!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #27867
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
Hey all,
I am looking for some rather flexible de-railer cable housing.....
I am building up my wife's Ogre and the front cable routing has a wicked bend in it. I am only running a 2X up front so it is not a big deal to have a sharp bend, I would just like to find a decent housing that can make it. My usual Jagwire is too stiff.
What brand should I look at? Or do you have any ideas?
TIA

Edit: Two ideas I have are using the 1:1 side of a travel agent (doesn't really work, not enough room) or a v-brake noodle.

mud screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 11:44 AM
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #27868
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Meh. Skip all that and go straight to an Xterra event!

You wanna ride a century? c'mon down. I've got at least 2 100mi loops we can ride.

M
What can I say, I love the duathlons. I just need to work harder at them. It'll probably help that the days are getting longer & warmer now. One of these days we'll ride a century together, but I have a feeling mine is going to be in the fall
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #27869
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Hey all,
I am looking for some rather flexible de-railer cable housing.....
I am building up my wife's Ogre and the front cable routing has a wicked bend in it. I am only running a 2X up front so it is not a big deal to have a sharp bend, I would just like to find a decent housing that can make it. My usual Jagwire is too stiff.
What brand should I look at? Or do you have any ideas?
TIA

Edit: Two ideas I have are using the 1:1 side of a travel agent (doesn't really work, not enough room) or a v-brake noodle.
Nokon or something similar is your best bet. There's a few other brands that work well. None are what you'd call cheap.

No SkyMass for you! As Brian Larson and I were rolling up to the gate on our bicycles, the ranger was coming back towards us from the closed gate. The ranger in the booth said 'Park's closed. The Natl Park Service closed the park *preemptively* for ice and snow. Preemptively huh? Gee thanks! B and I did about an hour's loop and called it for the day. High 30s and snow/sleet and an 80mi ride? We'll pass and live to ride another day.

M
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #27870
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Could be a good deal, to the right person. Though, I'd negotiate a lower shipping price, as I've shipped a complete bike for less than that.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: