Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #27871
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Could be a good deal, to the right person. Though, I'd negotiate a lower shipping price, as I've shipped a complete bike for less than that.
My size, but I already have a Crosshairs. Like it lots.

I'd be tempted to say if I had to give up all the rest of my bikes and keep one, it'd probably be the Crosshairs. ...but its a tight race with my Full Tilt Boogie!

M
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #27872
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
There's been talk about proposed changes to a local trail that many riders criticize for being too physically punishing. This particular trail is characterized by thick palmetto roots which snake all over the place, giving a sensation of riding over hundreds of speed bumps. The result is muscle fatigue and soreness in the joints that lasts well into the next day. It makes me wonder, can this sort of thing result in lasting damage to the body?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #27873
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There's been talk about proposed changes to a local trail that many riders criticize for being too physically punishing. This particular trail is characterized by thick palmetto roots which snake all over the place, giving a sensation of riding over hundreds of speed bumps. The result is muscle fatigue and soreness in the joints that lasts well into the next day. It makes me wonder, can this sort of thing result in lasting damage to the body?
Yes. Yes it can. You should upgrade all of your suspension components to the highest possible spec IMMEDIATELY!!!!11!!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #27874
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,139
Quote:
The result is muscle fatigue and soreness in the joints that lasts well into the next day. It makes me wonder, can this sort of thing result in lasting damage to the body?
...yes.

I used to work in an orthotic/prosthetics shop, as a fabricator*. One thing we dealt with was people who had done injury to their joints by repeated shock to the limb. Think of carpenters hammering nails. Tennis elbow. That sort of thing. I encountered one or two mtb guys during my 5ish years there who had done damage to their joints from repeated jarring shocks.

It's why I'm really, really picky about my running surfaces. I don't want to aggravate any knee injuries by running on concrete.

* - I do some really weird & nifty things to the wrapping on my handlebars, but I've never ever gotten ulnar numbness.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #27875
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
...yes.

I used to work in an orthotic/prosthetics shop, as a fabricator*. One thing we dealt with was people who had done injury to their joints by repeated shock to the limb. Think of carpenters hammering nails. Tennis elbow. That sort of thing. I encountered one or two mtb guys during my 5ish years there who had done damage to their joints from repeated jarring shocks.
I started wondering about this because there's an old dude in my Sunday riding group who is suffering from very serious back issues. A recent X-ray reveals that much of his spine is fused together from thick calcium deposits. His neck is virtually immobile because of it. He thinks this is the result of decades of riding his bicycle off-road. He rode rigid frame bicycles in the days before anyone thought of putting suspension components on them.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #27876
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,298
Think it's one of those 'life is short' type things... there's a million reasons not to do anything. Of course mountain biking beats you up, but so does sitting on the couch, and don't get me started on them damn motersickles! I wouldn't look too far into this one and just enjoy yourself, as clearly you are.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #27877
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Definitely. However, I totally disagree with "softening" a trail to suit less-capable riders.

I've found that if I turn up the speed, my Stumpy will float across the tops of roots, like a MX-er ripping whoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I used to work in an orthotic/prosthetics shop, as a fabricator*. One thing we dealt with was people who had done injury to their joints by repeated shock to the limb. Think of carpenters hammering nails. Tennis elbow. That sort of thing.
This describes me and why I haven't worked in 1-1/2yrs. My quality of life has definitely been affected. If I do something strenuous/shocking to my upper limbs, I pay for it for the next few days. I'm currently suffering withdrawal from a pain management 'script that has my balance all wonky. Hopefully, all will get better.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #27878
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Think it's one of those 'life is short' type things... there's a million reasons not to do anything. Of course mountain biking beats you up, but so does sitting on the couch, and don't get me started on them damn motersickles! I wouldn't look too far into this one and just enjoy yourself, as clearly you are.
While it is true that life is short, no need to intentionally shorten it... I started to notice my knees starting to hurt more last year, which i attribute to riding a hardtail...mind you i am anly 24, but, i switched to a full suspension the end of last summer, and my knees stopped hurting on long rides...

Its not about doing something or not, its more doing it smart...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #27879
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
And i also dissagree on softening the trails... Theres only one way to get better at riding, and thats to push yourself...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #27880
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,139
Ouch, dude. I've seen what that's like. I hope you find some reliefl
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #27881
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
It makes me wonder, can this sort of thing result in lasting damage to the body?
Repeated inflammation will cause calcification. More in some people, less or not at all in others.... It depends on your genetics pretty much.

You need to take care of you joints, pure and simple.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #27882
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,853
I've ridden my 30 mile loop twice now in the last week. I'm terribly out of shape. Took about 20 minutes longer last night, and the previous time I cut it short because I just didn't have the gas to keep going. Ended up being 2 miles shorter but it was arduous.

What's changed since, what..... 3 months ago. Nothi,.... wait. I'm now 40.

It really is all downhill innit.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #27883
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
I would likely be a proponent of rerouting that trail entirely, to give those roots a break before it damages the trees. but I'm not there, haven't seen the trail in question. certainly in the local state park that has serious mountain biking, Wilder Ranch, they regularlly rotate the routes, close a trail with too much erosion, open a new route, and give things a chance to recover. the local mtb clubs are very active in volunteer trail maintenance.

a rather out of date trail map
http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/wilder-qtvr-map.html
Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #27884
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I would likely be a proponent of rerouting that trail entirely, to give those roots a break before it damages the trees. but I'm not there, haven't seen the trail in question.
What they're doing at other trails is to fill in the spaces between the roots with clay, rather than chopping the roots away, as had been done previously.

The big disagreement is over whether the same thing should be done at the bumpy trail, which has so far been left alone. The bumpy trail has the potential to be the nicer of the two: it's much longer (10.2 miles vs 1.3), it has more variety, and is more picturesque. The reason so few people ride it is because it really beats you up.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #27885
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
I disagree on principles that trails should be for the common enjoyment. IOW mtn biking shouldn't be about lowest common denominator fun.

The roots and rocks are what give trails character.

For example: Fountainhead here in the DC area was re-designed a few years ago. The first quarter of the trail system is now an IMBA-style banked, smooth(ish), flowy kind of trail. That ain't mtn biking! I could ride that on my TCR!

The other 3/4 isn't at the moment, but they're 'working on it.' Give me challenges. NOT man-made challenges. Roots, rocks, steep pitches, etc. Stuff mother nature invented, not some dood with a bobcat.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: