Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #27886
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
And i also dissagree on softening the trails... Theres only one way to get better at riding, and thats to push yourself...
Just to be clear, the bumpy trail isn't necessarily more difficult to ride than the others. Even beginner riders can make it through without falling; it's just that bouncing over all those roots for an hour (typically one lap) is like riding a jack hammer.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #27887
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just to be clear, the bumpy trail isn't necessarily more difficult to ride than the others. Even beginner riders can make it through without falling; it's just that bouncing over all those roots for an hour (typically one lap) is like riding a jack hammer.
Stamina/endurance building....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #27888
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I disagree on principles that trails should be for the common enjoyment. IOW mtn biking shouldn't be about lowest common denominator fun.

The roots and rocks are what give trails character.

M

I'll have to disagree, mtn biking is all about fun for me anyhow.

The roots , rocks , climbs , skinny ledges ...etc are all apart of said fun .

choose the trails you enjoy , ride your ride
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #27889
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

I'm confused. Are you actually agreeing with me or disagreeing with me?

M
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #27890
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,314
Quote:

It's interesting to see that all the local racers avoid the bumpy Snow Hill trail. All their Strava training runs are done on smoother trails.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #27891
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you actually agreeing with me or disagreeing with me?

M
It depends maybe I misinterpreted your earlier statement , if so my bad and apologies.

"IOW mtn biking shouldn't be about lowest common denominator fun"

biking is all about having fun , sure sometimes suffering is involved but that makes it all the more rewarding/fun .

If it's not fun and you aint getting $$$$ for it, why put yourself through it ?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #27892
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
It's interesting to see that all the local racers avoid the bumpy Snow Hill trail. All their Strava training runs are done on smoother trails.

It's a rare occasion for me to race. Different mindset I guess.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #27893
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It depends maybe I misinterpreted your earlier statement , if so my bad and apologies.

"IOW mtn biking shouldn't be about lowest common denominator fun"

biking is all about having fun , sure sometimes suffering is involved but that makes it all the more rewarding/fun .

If it's not fun and you aint getting $$$$ for it, why put yourself through it ?
I think what he meant there is that we shouldnt have to settle for a nice smooth walking path (lowest common denominator fun) but instead we should be able to have a fun challenge to ride
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #27894
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
I think what he meant there is that we shouldnt have to settle for a nice smooth walking path (lowest common denominator fun) but instead we should be able to have a fun challenge to ride

ok, in that case I'll STFU as I do agree
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #27895
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
ok, in that case I'll STFU as I do agree
LOL
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #27896
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,077
Quote:
My riding buddy refers to those guys as roadies. He said it's fun to watch them carry their bikes through the technical rocky sections during the annual Raccoon Mtn race. I will say there is a fine line between challenging and dangerous. I enjoy riding at Raccoon Mtn, but will NOT ride there alone. A local doc who used to refer patients to my wife is now permanently wheelchair bound from going over the bars up there late last year. Lots of others have broken legs, collarbones, arms, etc. as a result of messing up on the tough sections of those trails. I'll admit there is one boulder section I always carry the bike through, because the risk is not worth it. Clint Eastwood was spot on...
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #27897
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
+1

There's what's called the Cross County Trail up in Fairfax Co. VA. They're steadily paving the whole thing. Right now, its appx 3/4 singletrack. Lots of fun in a VERY suburban area. Its about a 3.5hr lollipop from Oak Marr Rec Ctr to Rt 7 at Tyson's Corner and back.

...but you can tell they really, really want it to be a MUT that's a paved (road) lane wide for the lowest common denominator to enjoy.

They've managed to pave a bunch in the last few years. Some was needed, the rest? see above.

I don't go off-roading solo. I've seen too many 'whoops!' moments to not want someone around 'just in case.'

M
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #27898
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,859
I hate to quote myself, but this post being at the bottom of the page I think got missed

Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So, at a demo the other day the bike I rode had tires that were 2.3 inch diameter. Mine are 2.1 inch. Other than the fact this bike was a full suspension compared to my hard-tail, the tires were immediately noticeable on the trail.

Question is, I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I liked them, but I don't know enough about riding in general to know if I should pursue getting a set for my bike (or if they would even fit )

Anyway, why would someone want slightly larger tires? Pros and cons of a 2.3 over my current 2.1.

Ready, GO!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #27899
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
+1

I don't go off-roading solo. I've seen too many 'whoops!' moments to not want someone around 'just in case.'

M
I really need to stop going alone so often, but the place I frequent is heavy use with parking lots full of hikers and mountain bikers. I always feel if I had a bad crash, someone would be along sooner or later to scrape me off the rocks. I also wear more protection than I probably need, including shin guards, pressure suit and new full face helmet Santa in brown will be dropping off tomrrow! Oh well, too much fun to not go when no one else is down to ride. Joined IMBA to find more people who want to ride regularly, this spring I'm going to attend a couple meets.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #27900
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I hate to quote myself, but this post being at the bottom of the page I think got missed

Any advice?
Larger tires = lower pressure without pinching.
Larger tires = bigger contact patch
Larger tires = heavier

Were they the same tread pattern as what you've been riding? Some tires just work better in certain areas than others.
Tubeless?

If you liked em, buy a set and try em longer term Only way to find out.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: