Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #27901
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I disagree on principles that trails should be for the common enjoyment. IOW mtn biking shouldn't be about lowest common denominator fun.

The roots and rocks are what give trails character.

For example: Fountainhead here in the DC area was re-designed a few years ago. The first quarter of the trail system is now an IMBA-style banked, smooth(ish), flowy kind of trail. That ain't mtn biking! I could ride that on my TCR!

The other 3/4 isn't at the moment, but they're 'working on it.' Give me challenges. NOT man-made challenges. Roots, rocks, steep pitches, etc. Stuff mother nature invented, not some dood with a bobcat.

M
If it wasn't for man made, we would not have technical sections here.....

If it wasn't for IBMA-style terrain, we would not have the mountain bike community here we do now.

Before the whole IMBA era, hard here was a slight hill that went on for ever. Totally legs and lungs riding, the only thing tricky was if we had had a rain storm and part of the trail washed out a little and it was hidden in knee deep grass.

SO, I guess I disagree with you.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #27902
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I really need to stop going alone so often, but the place I frequent is heavy use with parking lots full of hikers and mountain bikers. I always feel if I had a bad crash, someone would be along sooner or later to scrape me off the rocks. I also wear more protection than I probably need. Oh well. Joined IMBA to find more people who want to ride regularly, this spring I'm going to attend a couple meets.
I'll modify what I wrote: in your situation, I'd go alone too. Busy parks usually have *someone* riding around where you're riding. Wakefield and Fountainhead here in DC are examples.

Get off the beaten track? Elizabeth's Furnace, Gambrill?

M
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #27903
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,161
Gotchya. My place has a frequently used area, then a back side of the mountain that goes deep in presevred forest. I don't go out that way alone.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #27904
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Gotchya. My place has a frequently used area, then a back side of the mountain that goes deep in presevred forest. I don't go out that way alone.

One of the first times I went into Cockaponset SF, I got lost, and just kept riding around until I found the fire road. It's probably a good idea to tell someone that you are going, so they can send a search party if you don't come home...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #27905
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
One of the first times I went into Cockaponset SF, I got lost, and just kept riding around until I found the fire road. It's probably a good idea to tell someone that you are going, so they can send a search party if you don't come home...
Yes, I do that, always a good idea. My area is surrounded on all four sides by major roads, the only issue is it can take you a long time to get to either one. Last year I was a little further off the beaten path than I normally travel alone. As I was making the bend to start the summit climb, my rear hub failed unexpectedly and I had to walk the 4-5 miles back out to the trailhead. Even though it was a beautiful morning for a walk, it was absolutely a wakeup call.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #27906
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Larger tires = lower pressure without pinching.
Larger tires = bigger contact patch
Larger tires = heavier

Were they the same tread pattern as what you've been riding? Nope. Some tires just work better in certain areas than others.
Tubeless? Yep, my current tires are not.

If you liked em, buy a set and try em longer term Only way to find out. Probably have to do this

M
HAHA! Yeah, everything about this bike was different than mine. Full-suspension vs hard-tail, tubeless vs tubed, different tread pattern, larger tires, lower air pressure, better grip no doubt due to larger tires and maybe the tread pattern, probably heavier than my tires but I could stand to loose forty pounds or so and my bike is 32 pounds so I don't think I will notice the tire weight that much

Now to find a set... Anyone know what tires come stock on a Trek Rumblefish? I think it is these, but I am not positive. And I kinda hope not; 50 bucks a *bicycle* tire seems like a lot for someone not racing.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #27907
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Now to find a set... Anyone know what tires come stock on a Trek Rumblefish? I think it is these, but I am not positive. And I kinda hope not; 50 bucks a *bicycle* tire seems like a lot for someone not racing.
$50 is pretty average around here for a good quality mtb tire.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #27908
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 45,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Man, I really have to get down and check out the demo.

It's right at a year since I moved to the Bay Area. I've done a good bit of road biking -- the fun factor for road biking is way higher here than back east.

But my mountain bikes are gathering dust. It's just been too much easier to hop on my road bike, rather than having to load up the mountain bike and drive a pretty good distance to a trail. And I haven't been that excited by the few trails I've been on. Not that much actual tight singletrack, and not much technical challenge. (Huge aerobic challenge getting up these bigger mountains, though.)

I've been starting to think about paring the stable way down, to just a road bike and a beater commuter. The thought makes me sad; I've had a ton of good times on my mountain bikes.
There is some great road and mountain bike stuff all around you.

Granted the M/B stuff may take a load up to get to but it's so damn nice out there that it's worth the effort.

That said, it's always nice to hook up with like minded folks to ride the M/B with. Whereas I prefer to ride my road bike by myself without trying to coordinate anything beyond tire pressure and water.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #27909
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 45,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
yeah, OK; i think ECdM isn't what so many people seem to make it out to be, especially since i know what it was like before MidPen took it over and closed down all the best single-track,...
still, it's very pretty in spots for a place that isn't really Old Growth, and you should make sure that you find someone who will show you around the best places there before you dismiss it.
then, make a day in Marin of it, go get your ticket and go check out Tamarancho. i think you'd have a hard time not liking it. i think it's as cool as the Demo forest, but in a different way.

and welcome to the 'hood. you're in a great spot for the kind of stuff you mentioned.
As you can see Tamarancho kicks ass.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #27910
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Found this in the WTF thread via a link
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #27911
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
If it wasn't for man made, we would not have technical sections here.....

If it wasn't for IBMA-style terrain, we would not have the mountain bike community here we do now.

Before the whole IMBA era, hard here was a slight hill that went on for ever. Totally legs and lungs riding, the only thing tricky was if we had had a rain storm and part of the trail washed out a little and it was hidden in knee deep grass.

SO, I guess I disagree with you.....
+1

Here in the FarNorCal, the vast majority of trails are on public lands (BLM and NPS, mostly). If they ain't built to be accessible to the hikers, trail runners and horsies, they don't get built. Luckily, there's lots of graded and paved stuff in town, so there's no push to sanitize the good stuff outside city limits.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #27912
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
$50 is pretty average around here for a good quality mtb tire.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I found out these are the tires. $75 a tire

If you get what you pay for, no wonder I liked them
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #27913
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I found out these are the tires. $75 a tire

If you get what you pay for, no wonder I liked them
You don't HAVE to get the top of the line model to try em.

Just sayin

M
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #27914
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It's interesting to see that all the local racers avoid the bumpy Snow Hill trail. All their Strava training runs are done on smoother trails.
The term "racer" doesn't mean anything, other than they compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
A local doc who used to refer patients to my wife is now permanently wheelchair bound from going over the bars up there late last year.
Adam Boothby used to live on the side of Raccoon Mountain and was always up there. I'm thinking he posted on FB about this guy. Seems they were riding in a group, guy flipped, and had to be airlifted out. I can't remember if it was for sure him, though.

Quote:
I hate to quote myself, but this post being at the bottom of the page I think got missed

Any advice?
In addition to what Gummee listed, usually you'll find the narrow tires on XC bikes because they want a "fast" tire. The 2.3" is considered more of a trail tire, as opposed to a race tire. In addition to what he said, if you pick on the "details" dropdown, they offer a $45 option.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #27915
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The term "racer" doesn't mean anything, other than they compete.
True enough. It's their Strava times that really matter.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: