User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 292 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #28141
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,187
Better a busted bridge than a wire clothesline.

If this had been near Berkeley, I would figure Vandeman was back on the loose.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #28142
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Three of us went up to Medford on Saturday for the Rouge Flahute. There were 15 sections of crushed gravel/DG roads. Our group and a few others were on 'cross bikes, everyone else was on road bikes with tough 25 or 28 mm tires. We were totally beat by the time we decided to call it quits. I think maybe ten riders out of the nearly 50 that started completed the whole course. It's been raining quite a bit and all those gravel and DG roads were totally saturated. Sometimes it was like pedaling through, well, wet sand. All in all, it was a good time with plenty of suffering and Flemish tan lines to go 'round.

Quote:
For whatever reason, ever since last fall, after a couple hours into a ride, if I really push on a climb, especially if I stand, my left quad feels like it's about to cramp. I can feel it coming on and work around it, but I'd like to figure out what's going on and fix the problem. Any ideas?
Are you hydrating enough before and during your rides?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #28143
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865

I usually eat and drink enough before the ride, but during the ride it's definitely one of my weak points. My habits haven't changed though, and that's why I'm confused by this. It just started last fall, and it's happened on pretty much every ride that's been over about 25 miles or so. The only other times I had any issues with cramps were maybe five or six years ago, when I was messing around with creatine, and also I've cramped after drinking Red Bull before riding. This time it just seems to have started out of the blue, and it's been happening pretty consistently.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #28144
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Better a busted bridge than a wire clothesline.

If this had been near Berkeley, I would figure Vandeman was back on the loose.
Three news organizations were out at the trail yesterday.

From the discussion on Facebook, it seems the 'angry neighbor' responsible for the damage has already been identified. Might be time for him to double his homeowners insurance.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #28145
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
That sounds awesome. If I ever make it out there, you'll have to take me on that ride.

I only did 55mi of 'mixed surface but mostly gravel' yesterday. 6260' of climbing. Only 1 steep climb that wasn't very long, but LOTS of up and down up and down up and down. ...into a headwind till the last little bit of the ride.

So we were riding back into Warrenton and I see a car flipping us the bird coming at us. WTF lady! What did cyclists do to you?! Someone have intercourse with your dog or something?! This is the same lady that slowed down and yelled at us Friday. Yeah, yelling at us is obviously working. Keep it up!

Then I tore into the front end of the Bank Vault and changed out the wheel bearing on the passenger side. I'm chasing down a vibration and noise. I think I've narrowed it down.

@Aurelius: here's hoping that people don't take justice into their own hands. Only bad things are gonna happen if that happens.

M
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #28146
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post

I usually eat and drink enough before the ride, but during the ride it's definitely one of my weak points. My habits haven't changed though, and that's why I'm confused by this. It just started last fall, and it's happened on pretty much every ride that's been over about 25 miles or so. The only other times I had any issues with cramps were maybe five or six years ago, when I was messing around with creatine, and also I've cramped after drinking Red Bull before riding. This time it just seems to have started out of the blue, and it's been happening pretty consistently.
I spend my entire week hydrating before a ride. No alcohol during the week and a complete attention to making sure I'm consuming enough water has really helped me.

On ride day, I consume about 32oz in the hour and a half prior to ride time, pee right before we roll, then work through about 20oz/hour. I carry two bottles, which will get me from SAG to SAG on supported rides. I carry one bottle with CytoMax (some folks have trouble with it, so test at home first) and one bottle with Nuun. That seems to work for me. CytoMax has potassium in it, which helps me. Riding without it sometimes leaves me a little crampy by the time the ride is over.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #28147
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,969
OH: Nice work, Nedster!

Is anyone going to ride the Grizzly Peak Century here in the bay area on 5/5?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #28148
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,019
Got back to Phoenix late last night. In the car but, with my Roubaix. Beat my back good over the weekend with the ride Friday night across the desert and big winds at Palm Springs/desert. Why anybody would think that armpit of a hole was some resort is beyond my understanding. I've only been there when it was either too hot to stand in the sun or too damned cold to be outside. And every time it was windy. I say leave it to the fat-wallets.

Now, I need to find some after-work road riding. That may be a challenge. I've seen a fair number of folks out and there are bike lanes marked. Most of the drivers seem to be able to keep their barges out of them when they aren't staring slack-jawed into the face of their phones.

So, Bib-shorts are now made by BMW? That was one expensive tube run to the LBS Sunday morning.

I have a big shower at the hotel so I figure I'll clean my bicycle tonight while my back recovers.

I brought wax too.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #28149
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I have a big shower at the hotel so I figure I'll clean my bicycle tonight while my back recovers.

I brought wax too.
You're going to wax your back while cleaning your bicycle?

M
Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #28150
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,479
I've been building up the miles the last few weeks. We did 38 with the killer hills Saturday, and I just got back from 34 hill filled miles. We ride our age in miles on/around our birthdays each year, and it's my turn this weekend. 57 big ones. Might be a slow one... I had this wierd creaking noise today, and couldn't figure it out. Thought it was the BB, or the pulleys. Turns out it was a pine chip between the cleat and pedal! No need to break out the tools.

Mr Head, I had a puncture last summer at the end of a day's ride, and replaced the Tubeless tire, along with the sealant, in the tub at the Holiday inn! Gotta get your money's worth!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #28151
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I spend my entire week hydrating before a ride. No alcohol during the week and a complete attention to making sure I'm consuming enough water has really helped me.

On ride day, I consume about 32oz in the hour and a half prior to ride time, pee right before we roll, then work through about 20oz/hour. I carry two bottles, which will get me from SAG to SAG on supported rides. I carry one bottle with CytoMax (some folks have trouble with it, so test at home first) and one bottle with Nuun. That seems to work for me. CytoMax has potassium in it, which helps me. Riding without it sometimes leaves me a little crampy by the time the ride is over.
+1 on the Nuun tablets. I'm giving Skratch Labs' drink mix a try, we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
When Mr. Head multitasks, he doesn't screw around.

The folks that put together the Flahute are hosting the Honey Badger on 4/21. More multi-surface frivolity and self-flagellation that I just committed to.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #28152
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,019
Shhh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #28153
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,622
I see these guys out once in a while. Pretty bad ass group!

Gravel Worlds, brought to you by the Pirate Cycling League

If any of you beefcakes want to come try this event, PM me. I can help with logistics ;)

fifthcircle screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 02:43 PM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #28154
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,472
Outstanding week for Cancellara

Dream of having legs like that for just one day...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #28155
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

Thinking about it, since I've been riding in cooler temps, I drink even less then I normally do. And, as I said, eating and drinking during the ride is already one of my weak points. It just seems kind of off the wall to get dehydrated when riding in the 20-40 degree range. I'll try to remember to force myself to drink, even if I don't really feel like it, and I'll see if that makes a difference.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: