Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #28171
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I thought cramp was due to lack of potassium (hence bananas are good for that) ?

Yes. And no.

http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/page2.htm

Bananas are great as a preventative or for very mild cramping, but not so good when your buddy is writhing on the ground and can't straighten his hamstring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I'll bring some along when we attempt our century at the end of the month.

My problem is that I don't feel hungry or thirsty at all while I'm on the bike unless it's really hot out, so I put off drinking, and especially, eating until the last minute. Usually, by the time I eat, I have to choke it down because my mouth is pretty dry. I like Cytomax and usually bring a bottle of that as well as a bottle of plain water. Lately, in the cooler temps, they both come home barely touched...

Funny thing is that during a 45 minute spinning class I'll kill a large water bottle, but I'm a sweaty mess in those.
Seriously, you need to manage your water and your food. It'll only take one good bonk before you make a more conscious effort.

Short (under 35mi) rides, I usually just take one large bottle and no food or chews. 35-60mi I've got one large bottle of water, one large bottle with watered-down Accelerade, a LaraBar and a pack of Clif ShotBlox. (Orange with caffeine)

That all changes depending a terrain and weather, but it's my baseline for most rides.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #28172
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I thought cramp was due to lack of potassium (hence bananas are good for that) ?
A number of riders in my area have done several '42 mile Epic' rides at Santos, getting cramps each time. They claim that when a cramp does occur, the cure is to eat a packet of mustard. Don't know why it would work, but apparently a lot of riders know about it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #28173
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
A number of riders in my area have done several '42 mile Epic' rides at Santos, getting cramps each time. They claim that when a cramp does occur, the cure is to eat a packet of mustard. Don't know why it would work, but apparently a lot of riders know about it.
I've heard pickle juice works too but haven't needed to try any of them.

M
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #28174
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I'll bring some along when we attempt our century at the end of the month.

My problem is that I don't feel hungry or thirsty at all while I'm on the bike unless it's really hot out, so I put off drinking, and especially, eating until the last minute. Usually, by the time I eat, I have to choke it down because my mouth is pretty dry. I like Cytomax and usually bring a bottle of that as well as a bottle of plain water. Lately, in the cooler temps, they both come home barely touched...

Funny thing is that during a 45 minute spinning class I'll kill a large water bottle, but I'm a sweaty mess in those.
I was doubled over on the shoulder of the road in agony approximately 50 miles into my first century. It's in this thread somewhere. A nice lady stopped and gave me some Tums to get rid of the cramps. It worked and got me through the rest of the ride, even though it was not easy or fun. Gotta train yourself to eat and hydrate on the bike at regular intervals. If you remind yourself to have a sip every 8-12 minutes by glancing at the timer on your computer/Garmin, it makes it easier. Works for me.

edit: found the old post from 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I finished the 3State 3Mountain Challenge century today in 6:25. The climbs were brutal, but the downhills were kickass. Experience honed during years of riding sportbikes helped while flying down the curvy bits. I found out quickly its almost impossible to quickly eat MetRX Colossal 100 bars while riding a bike. The first one made me choke almost to the point of suffocation. About 52 miles into the ride, during the second climb, I suffered massive leg cramps. Had to dismount. A woman (who was more prepared than me) stopped and gave me 2 TUMS, which allowed me to complete the climb and nurse leg cramps the rest of the day. The third climb was the worst with a 18-20% grade at the end. I gotta say the sag support (food stations) and logistics were excellent. The cops shut the roads down and let us through all of the intersections at full speed. At the end we all got a free sac of Krystal Burgers and two free beers. Overall, a great experience.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #28175
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I was doubled over on the shoulder of the road in agony approximately 50 miles into my first century. It's in this thread somewhere. A nice lady stopped and gave me some Tums to get rid of the cramps. It worked and got me through the rest of the ride, even though it was not easy or fun. Gotta train yourself to eat and hydrate on the bike at regular intervals. If you remind yourself to have a sip every 8-12 minutes by glancing at the timer on your computer/Garmin, it makes it easier. Works for me.

edit: found the old post from 2010
We just got another inch or so of white crap overnight so no riding today. I definitely need to focus on the eating and drinking part of the ride, though.

Trading cramp stories, a few years ago, my calf knotted up so bad it looked like a golf ball was under the skin. I blamed that one on some RedBull I had drank at work before the ride...I wasn't in the middle of a century, at least.
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #28176
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,550
So the chain problem on my e bike is still there but I'm not worried about that, I just took it off and tried to put the thing together and it is missing some bits from shipping, if they can't find them (it has been months now so I wouldn't be shocked) any idea where to get the following at a good price:

I have the front wheel but not the quick release parts.

I need pedals.

And a kickstand like this one:

I hope it's not a custom job....

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 07:26 AM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #28177
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
So the chain problem on my e bike is still there but I'm not worried about that, I just took it off and tried to put the thing together and it is missing some bits from shipping, if they can't find them (it has been months now so I wouldn't be shocked) any idea where to get the following at a good price:

I have the front wheel but not the quick release parts.

I need pedals.

And a kickstand like this one:

I hope it's not a custom job....
Any LBS with a J&B account should be able to get you one of those kickstands.

AFA QRs: that same LBS *should* have a stash of em in the back that are at least semi-used. If you want a little more security for parking the bike in a public spot, get a 'bolt-on QR.' You can get em with a 5mm allen bolt in place of the lever. Keeps casual thieves at bay 'cause you're bike is a bigger PITA than the one next to it.

M
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #28178
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Any LBS with a J&B account should be able to get you one of those kickstands.

AFA QRs: that same LBS *should* have a stash of em in the back that are at least semi-used. If you want a little more security for parking the bike in a public spot, get a 'bolt-on QR.' You can get em with a 5mm allen bolt in place of the lever. Keeps casual thieves at bay 'cause you're bike is a bigger PITA than the one next to it.

M
Cool, I know a good shop that'll hook me up so I might just give it to them to get running. I've got a U and thick cable lock so security isn't an issue (this bike was in ABQ so I went all out on that stuff).

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #28179
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Not quite my neck of the woods, but I've ridden this road a bit when training for longer rides. At 8am, 90% of the drivers are rural and friendly. 9% are just trying to cut between two suburbs and use the backroads. They'll buzz you, but it's not malicious. The remaining 1% are drunks too high to pass out trying to get home. I've ridden too many memorial rides out there for victims of the those jackasses.

This group ran into a 1%er.

http://www.theavtimes.com/2013/04/09...ng-bicyclists/

One of the riders described the event on Facebookt:

Quote:
I’m thanking my guardian angel…again…way too close to tragedy. Met 6 friends at Ave L and 20 St West for today’s ride. Today’s cast of characters were Roger, Bob, Randy, Javier, Scott and Brian.

I was hoping for a recovery ride after yesterday’s hard effort in the wind. Brian was the only other rider who rode the 70 miles yesterday. Brian was also feeling the effects of yesterday’s ride. Randy rode the 44 mile loop. The plan was to ride up Godde Hill Rd (60 St West) to get out of the wind which was again strong today. (FOX@8AM: 56deg; WNW22G29. Poppy Park@9AM: 57deg; W29G44. FOX@11AM: 63deg; W30G36.) Then make a right on Elizabeth Lake Rd (ELR) to Munz Ranch Rd back to the valley floor and get pushed home by the wind. Bob and Roger were going to 3 Points.

The 7 of us were riding in a paceline on ELR just west of Bouquet Cyn Rd when a car suddenly sideswiped all of us except Roger who just rotated to the back of the group. I was at the front of the paceline on my aerobars when (seemed like instantaneously) I was hit by something hard on my left cheek-bone, felt a car brush my shoulder, heard yelling and crashing sounds behind me. I don’t know how I didn’t crash. After the car passed me, it drifted further into the shoulder and kept going. We were doing about 20mph, the car about 40mph.

Roger saw the entire incident unfold. Javier and Randy went down hard (3rd and 4th in line). Randy slid a long way on his backside – lots of road rash. Javier went down hard on his hip – very fortunate that he was ok. Scott who was behind Randy was hit on his ass by the car’s mirror and the passenger’s hand and arm. He doesn’t know how he didn’t crash. Roger saw the passenger put his arm out of the window. The mirror broke off and remained at the scene of the accident. The car also hit the back side of Brian – he also didn’t crash.

I called 911 – response was very fast. The paramedics checked out Randy then took him to the hospital for observation. He was obviously in shock. Turns out Randy is ok and back home. The Sheriffs got all of our personal info and each of our accounts of what happened. We all said that it was a small black sedan like a Ford Focus or a Honda. Other Sheriffs came then left to look for the car. Javier got picked up by his mom who was rightfully upset.

Before all of our info and accounts were taken, the car was found at a house in the hills above Elizabeth Lake golf course. The sheriff came back and wanted 2 of us to go with him to officially ID the car (easy without the sideview mirror). Roger and Scott went. The perps were two 20-year olds and not too bright. One of the 20-year olds had a cut above his eye. The 1st question the officer asked him was “How did you get that cut?” The reply was a bicycle mirror. Not sure what the officer then said but essentially it was “say no more” and they were both handcuffed.

It took awhile for Roger and Scott to return to the accident scene where we were. The sheriff then wanted 2 more of us to go to the house for official ID so Bob and Brian went. We then found out that the passenger gave a full confession. After drinking all night they went to Palmdale to McDonalds for some food. On the way back they saw us and thought it would “be fun” to slap the back side of us cyclists. The driver being drunk swerved too close and wound up hitting us. Over an hour after the incident, the driver was tested at 0.16 – twice the legal limit. So, the driver is facing 3 felony counts: 1) Assault with a deadly weapon with injuries; 2) Hit and run; 3) DUI. The passenger is facing 1 felony – not sure if it’s assault with a deadly weapon or “hit and run”.

After more than a couple of hours, we finally headed home. Bob and Roger continued west to go down Munz; Brian, Scott and I turned around and rode to 25 St West to get back home on 30W. After Scott got home and took a shower, he noticed that not only did he get hit by the mirror but he had an arm and hand imprint (all 5 fingers) on his butt. He’s sending a picture to the deputy tomorrow.

Don’t know what else to say except that I’m very thankful that no one was seriously hurt (could’ve been so much worse), the perps were caught, and justice will be served!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #28180
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,645
...and this is why I just bought a helmet cam.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #28181
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,248
JHC! Good thing nobody got seriously injured!!!! Yeah, it might be time for a Go Pro!!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #28182
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,645
Too much money.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876182
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #28183
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
After Scott got home and took a shower, he noticed that not only did he get hit by the mirror but he had an arm and hand imprint (all 5 fingers) on his butt. He’s sending a picture to the deputy tomorrow.
Daaaaaaaamn!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #28184
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
JHC! Good thing nobody got seriously injured!!!! Yeah, it might be time for a Go Pro!!
After my right-hook hit-n-run last year, I run the GoPro on every commute.

Today:

I was thinking of putting something like this on the seat post looking backward, just in case...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DV-Hidd...723#vi-content

At $9, I think I'll give it a shot.

YakSpout screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:32 PM
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #28185
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,868
You all are making me paranoid.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: