User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #28216
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,975
Just rode my Full Tilt Boogie with 'aero' wheels on it for a sprint workout. Won about half of em against my riding buddy. 'Course, when one of you knows where the town/county lines are better than the other, its not *quite* fair sometimes.

He managed to get me by half a wheel at the final town line sprint. I was in a gear one cog too big. He picked right. Oh well. Next time!

Tomorrow: 3ish hrs on the road bike
Sun: 4hrs or so on the cross bike on a mixed surface ride. Same ride as last Sun actually, just with 2 more guys in the group.

M
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #28217
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

M
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #28218
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Do you guys cook with sea salt or table salt? I wonder if switching to KNO3 from NACl a few years back was enough to get rid of the leg cramps I used to get at night.
KNO3, isn't that saltpeter?!?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #28219
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
"Iconic" is the new "epic".

Now comes the Rapha Iconic Line. You heard it hear first.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #28220
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

There's weight weenies and there's weight weenies

I'm neither. Just ride the darn thing!

M
Old 04-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #28221
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,479
We just got back from the annual birthday ride. 58 miles in a wind gust filled ride. At times I thought I was stopped completely. Lots of fun, and cold beer topped it off!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #28222
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
We just got back from the annual birthday ride. 58 miles in a wind gust filled ride. At times I thought I was stopped completely. Lots of fun, and cold beer topped it off!
Good job!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #28223
rbrsddn
3banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Good job!
Thx! With the crappy weather we've been having, it was a more difficult effort than years past. I'm really looking forward to some mid 60's and 70 degree weather around here!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #28224
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Go man go!

M
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #28225
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

We did 53mi of mixed surface roads yesterday. 3:22 or so of moving time. 2 flats: mine ($50 tubular) and a buddy's ($3 tube). In the defense of the tubulars, he's had half a dozen flats already where I've had one.

M
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #28226
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to some mid 60's and 70 degree weather around here!!!
For a second, I thought you were referring to upcoming birthday rides.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #28227
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
There's weight weenies and there's weight weenies

I'm neither. Just ride the darn thing!

M

I was starting to get the "shiny new part" syndrome a couple of weeks back when I serendipitously(sp?) read an article by some guy who has been riding for four years. His thoughts on buying a new bike or part for this new thing you want to do... Ride what you have until it breaks, and by then you will know how that part excels and how it comes up short and can buy the next part accordingly.

Perfect timing reading that. I have put about 300 miles on my MTB since buying it this previous summer, and honestly I don't think I know it or me well enough to go out buying new parts.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #28228
rbrsddn
3banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
For a second, I thought you were referring to upcoming birthday rides.

We're getting there!!!! My buddy Tim is going to be 62 in November. That should be an easy one, with a few thousand miles ridden...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #28229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

I was starting to get the "shiny new part" syndrome a couple of weeks back when I serendipitously(sp?) read an article by some guy who has been riding for four years. His thoughts on buying a new bike or part for this new thing you want to do... Ride what you have until it breaks, and by then you will know how that part excels and how it comes up short and can buy the next part accordingly.
I keep trying to tell people the exact same thing. Too bad no one listens to me.

Quote:
Perfect timing reading that. I have put about 300 miles on my MTB since buying it this previous summer, and honestly I don't think I know it or me well enough to go out buying new parts.
In 300mi if you haven't eaten a stick, dropped it on the wrong side, or done anything else wonky, the parts you have should be darn near new. Ride it. Clean it/lube it. Repeat. Things last longer and work better that way.

M
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #28230
k7
Ancien cyclist

The art of the "long ride"

Someone once said that 60% of every brevet is 90% mental. I suppose that means that with the proper tools, you can convince yourself that you can ride 750-miles in less than 90 hours.

Looking at the numbers always helps me over this mental hump. The picture below is a spreadsheet that someone set up for another event and I modified for this one. There are only three places to modify data, all indicated in blue: your average rolling speed, the minutes off the bike between controls and the time that you stay in the control itself.

The controls are points where you need to be at a certain time. If you're late, you're done. If you're early, you can rest until the controls "opens". Getting there early is a problem I usually don't have. Both your min and max speeds are determined by the overall length. For a 1200-km, the min is 8.3 miles per hour and the max is 16.2 mph.

Yes, 8.3 mph sounds easy but keep in mind to ride that speed and finish, you'd need to ride 8.3 mph for 90 hours in a row, no sleep, no food....nada.

So, here's a good idea of what I anticipate - steady and predictable:

Recumbents - at least my recumbent with my fat a$$ on-board is slow on the hills and they don't call it the Texas Hill Country 'cause it's flat. We once did a 600 mile tour there... over a week. That was 35 years ago.

Most of us start out strong and taper off over the next nearly four days. I shoot for a 16-17 overall average and then take what the road, the conditions and my body allows. Under the right conditions, I can kick it to 23 mph easily on the flats - even late on the third day. That's not typical though.

Once I'm on the ride, I never worry myself with the times on the controls. At a 15 mph overall, every two hours on the bike gives me an hour off at some point.

Contingency plan? Yep, if the hills are too much and I'm too slow, sleep will be sacrificed. Not having a support car works to your advantage. The first group of six riders at last year's Last Chance made it to the first control together. Of that six, four quit the ride there. They all had their own support and the temptation of a warm car on a wet cold day was impossible for them to ignore. I can hear them now, "Forget this. I'm done." These were some very, very experienced and fast riders.

I didn't have that choice - so I kept riding. I got around 8 hours sleep over 84.5 hours. Compare that to the numbers above - 84 hours total of which 19 hours in the controls. That allows for about 15 hours of sleep. That'd be super - but I doubt it'll work out that way. Either way, I hope I'm mentally tough enough to gut it out. All I'm doing is riding to the next control. Once I'm there, I eat a bit and set off for the next control.

17 days until the Texas Stampede 1200!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: