Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #28246
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
When a hammer is the only tool you own, all the world's a nail.
The funny part is, I can't remember the last time I used a hammer to hit a nail. Just like tires, they have MANY other uses.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #28247
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The guy who re-introduced me to bicycling has since traded in his bicycle for a recumbent. He says he can no longer tolerate the physical discomfort of riding a bicycle for hours. It's ironic because he used to speak very disparagingly about recumbents and the people who rode them, but now denies ever having said those things.

I don't know why they aren't more popular in Florida. I've been dying to test ride one of those two wheeled recumbents someone posted a video of. Unfortunately all they sell around here are the three wheeled type, which probably aren't as fast or as much fun.
I suspect that if you dig deeply enough on ADV, you mgiht find a negative comment by me regarding recumbents. I can't deny it - it's out there on the record.

Some of the fastest recumbent riders in the US are based in FL. Kent Polk is a phenomenal rider and a heck of a nice guy. Link
He’s one of those unsung athletes that you don’t hear much about, but Kent Polk’s success within the ultracycling world is what many dream of. Seemingly more comfortable out of the limelight, Polk routinely teams with other racers to help maximize the result for both. Nevertheless, he’s still competing solo and during the four Bike Sebring 24 RAAM Qualifiers he’s raced (2010 – 2013), Kent has averaged 475 miles per race with a high mileage mark of 505 miles last year. Despite putting up some very large numbers, Kent has never won the event, that is until this year. Here’s Kent Polk’s winning 2013 Bike Sebring 24 race report.
Kent's in his late 50's/early 60's I believe.

John and Jacquie Schlitter also come to mind - they've both ridden over 400 miles in a single day on many occasions. Here's a story from last year's Sebring event. Linky
Team Bacchetta’s Jacquie Hafner competed in the 2011 12hr Sebring race and set a new overall women’s 12 hr record with a 254.7 mile race. She went on to have great results throughout the 2011 season at the 12hr distance, but managed to avoid racing a 24hr. Enter the 2012 season. Jacquie raced the Sebring 24hr Drafting event to an overall women’s record of 516.4 miles. She’s also racing on a 4-person Race Across America (RAAM) team this June. Here is Jacquie’s Sebring 24hr record ride story:
The Schlitter's run Vite Cycles in Sarasota - new shop, website. Trust me, they know fast recumbents.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #28248
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
The funny part is, I can't remember the last time I used a hammer to hit a nail. Just like tires, they have MANY other uses.
I used to own (and subsequently work) on old Land Rovers. It's always been said that with old Landies, it always comes down to a hammer and an adjustable wrench. BTDT.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #28249
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
I used to own (and subsequently work) on old Land Rovers. It's always been said that with old Landies, it always comes down to a hammer and an adjustable wrench. BTDT.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #28250
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,036
Quote:
I don't know why they aren't more popular in Florida. I've been dying to test ride one of those two wheeled recumbents someone posted a video of. Unfortunately all they sell around here are the three wheeled type, which probably aren't as fast or as much fun.
a coworker who's a former road racer, rides one of these and LOVES it.

http://www.easyracers.com/toureasy.html

He says the full sized rear wheel really helps on long road rides, and the small front doesn't matter. he's got a bubble screen on it. His older one has spoked wheels front and rear.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #28251
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,986
I'll go on record saying 'recumbents are fun to ride, but they're not for me at this time in my life.'

I'm trying real hard to lose the aerobelly and can't for the life of me grow a beard. Looks like I'm doomed to ride a diamond frame bike.

M
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #28252
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'll go on record saying 'recumbents are fun to ride, but they're not for me at this time in my life.'

I'm trying real hard to lose the aerobelly and can't for the life of me grow a beard. Looks like I'm doomed to ride a diamond frame bike.

M
I have just the one word for recumbentists:

NNNNEEEERRRRRDDDDD!!!!!!

My FIL took up recumbentism around age 70. I asked him, "How's the beard growing in?"

But the absolute truth is, he's having a great time, and riding more than I did when I was still racing. We visited the inlaws in the desert a few years ago, and went for a couple rides. FIL says, "Wait 'til we're going downhill, then I'll really show you something." He didn't seem aware that I outweighed him by 40ish pounds at the time.......
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #28253
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

M
Interesting. I'm not quite sure what to make of "at this time in my life" but I have a good idea.

I was talking to Coach John Hughes last year in CO and I asked why recumbents had such a stigma attached to them. He opined that most DF riders seemed to think that only riders with ailments rode recumbents.

Of course, there are dozens of exceptions. Those I mentioned above would likely still kick my butt, DF or tricycle. None of them have absolutely any physical issues. They ride 'cause they want to go fast and far.

Fast Freddy Markham is another legend. Here's one citation:
In 2006, Fred Markham, a 1976-80 US Olympic team member, set a record distance of 85.99 km (53.43 mi) on the track at the Nissan Technical Center, near Casa Grande in Arizona.[5] Markham won $18,000 as a share of the $25,000 Dempsey-MacCready One Hour Prize that was to be awarded to the first HPV to surpass 90 km. Although Markham had not exceeded 90 km, the prize time limit had expired and its shares awarded to those that traveled furthest.[6] Both Markham and Whittingham rode vehicles called Varna designed and built by the Bulgarian sculptor George Georgiev, who lives in British Columbia, Canada. Sam Whittingham won back the record one year later at the Nissan Technical Center with 86.75 km, and went on to set a distance of 90.60 km (56.30 mi) in 2009, at the Ford Michigan Proving Grounds.

But for the UCI banning recumbents from racing in the 1930's, I suspect they'd be more mainstream today.

Oh, Freddy is still fast. This video is pretty cool.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #28254
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
But the absolute truth is, he's having a great time, and riding more than I did when I was still racing.
At the end of the day, this is all that matters. Good on him.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #28255
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
How to build a bike: The revival of a British craft
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #28256
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
I was talking to Coach John Hughes last year in CO and I asked why recumbents had such a stigma attached to them. He opined that most DF riders seemed to think that only riders with ailments rode recumbents.
Not hard to figure out. Take a look at who rides recumbents around here and you come away with the impression that they're only designed for over the hill fat people. Take a look at the average road bike rider, on the other hand, and you'll see relatively young people at their physical peak, clad in lycra racing suits. If you swapped those groups around, it wouldn't take any time at all for recumbents to become 'cool' and bicycles to be perceived as vehicles suited only for older couch potatoes.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #28257
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Not hard to figure out. Take a look at who rides recumbents around here and you come away with the impression that they're only designed for over the hill fat people. Take a look at the average road bike rider, on the other hand, and you'll see relatively young people at their physical peak, clad in lycra racing suits. If you swapped those groups around, it wouldn't take any time at all for recumbents to become 'cool' and bicycles to be perceived as vehicles suited only for older couch potatoes.
Many cyclists who switch to recumbents do so because they can't handle the diamond frame/race/road bike position anymore. I've known 2 guys who were adamantly against recumbents - until they couldn't handle the racer crouch anymore, but didn't want to give up biking.

I gave up bicycling in my youth because my body absolutely hated the road bike position. After I outgrew my StingRay, that was the end of that. MTB's brought me back, but when my buddies kept trying to get me out on the road I got a recumbent. After 3 years they had all converted too. The most serious biker buddy still has his road bike, and rides it for certain rides/training.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #28258
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,657
that road is a good example of some of the reasons i choose to live here.
kinda' like Patron is to tequilas, Page Mill Road's not the best by a far cry, but a good stable benchmark, and nice to have in the backyard.
you can see @ ~12:26 where they turn right onto Moody, which has more of the characteristics more similar to what's to be found on the roads in the area that i prefer.

as for 'bents? i don't care what they look like or who's riding them. as low as they are relative to traffic, i'm afraid i'd be sucking the underside of a bumper in less than a week due to not being able to see or be seen.

cheers!

Quote:

Oh, Freddy is still fast. This video is pretty cool.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #28259
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,037
+1
The only recombant I've ridden was one of those enclosed tube shaped HPV things. Doing 56mph across dark parking lot with what amounted as a maglite flashlight for lighting it was different. That thing cost $6K back then and I certainly wasn't going to buy one. But, I was willing to try it out.
One guy I knew who bought one and toured with it said it was Hell climbing but fun on the flats. In Colorado that would translate to Hell.

I got the beard, but maybe when I'm older and I'm too fat to bend?

Quote:

M
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #28260
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
as for 'bents? i don't care what they look like or who's riding them. as low as they are relative to traffic, i'm afraid i'd be sucking the underside of a bumper in less than a week due to not being able to see or be seen.

cheers!
actually, with the head up and back position, its EASIER to see behind you etc than on a bent over road bike.

they aren't actually /that/ much lower than a road bike, although your butt isn't up in the air like a red flag.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: