User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 512 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #28321
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
As I passed the aid station and entered the loop, I could feel the toll of the cumulative miles wearing me down. My body and mind were not as sharp or responsive as they were just a few hours prior. Suddenly, small errors would lead to over corrections and I’d take a spill in the mud or graze a tree just a little close for comfort. The final loop of rooty single track finally signaled that I needed to back off pushing my current pace. I could sense myself spiraling down to an inevitable meeting with an immovable object that would have no mercy on my transgression. This would mean abandoning my goal of 10 hours but I felt it necessary to avert any prideful attempts at grandeur and settle for simply finishing the course in one piece. Mother nature had plotted against us from the very first moment and I wasn’t about to challenge her any further…

Exiting the single track and outer loop gave me a veiled sense of relief as I could finally sense that I was on the return leg. At every aid station I would see riders sitting along the sidelines or loading up in vans as they had reached their breaking point. It was so tempting to simply stop pedaling… roll to a stop and dismount. Hang the bike on the rack and bask in the warmth of a dry van with heat and other like-minded souls weary from the day’s onslaught. No… I cannot bring myself to stop spinning. My legs ache, my back screams in revolt and my mind roils with every turn of the cranks. The hill seems to go on forever as I pedal squares at every turn. I stand to relieve my backside, then sit to ease my thighs and calves. Nothing is comfortable, nothing is enough to mitigate the ache that permeates every fiber… every muscle and tendon. Every rider I encounter shows the same grimace of determination and sheer mind-over-body willpower that can be called on in a time like this.

The hill finally eases off to a flat-ish road and we are immediately directed left into an overgrown, grassy and muddy descent into the bowels of a muddy hell. The path we are laid upon does not appear to have been traveled by anything for some time. It is not worn, has no evidence of use and simply degrades into a mixed slop that any pig would see as a veritable mecca of mud. It has the consistency of peanut butter and every revolution of the tire packs it thicker and heavier on the bike. Every component in the drive train is crushing and grinding through the muck. At the bottom of every hill lies a swamp of mud that grips the front tire like Velcro and attempts to wrench the bars from my hands. It is draining what energy I have left to maintain control and direction of the bike while slipping and spinning the rear tire through the mire. Habitual body English from years of riding motorcycles is keeping me upright in the bogs and low spots. Finally, I crest a hill and splash through a river that rises to the hubs. The mud almost rinses clean but the damage has been done and my legs are groaning worse than ever.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #28322
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Dude! WTF?!

M
Fuck. After watching that, I can't BS myself any longer. I need to buy a helmet.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #28323
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,297
go ridge go !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #28324
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
go ridge go !
+1

Really appreciating the race report.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #28325
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Fuck. After watching that, I can't BS myself any longer. I need to buy a helmet.

Please.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #28326
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The hill finally eases off to a flat-ish road and we are immediately directed left into an overgrown, grassy and muddy descent into the bowels of a muddy hell. The path we are laid upon does not appear to have been traveled by anything for some time. It is not worn, has no evidence of use and simply degrades into a mixed slop that any pig would see as a veritable mecca of mud. It has the consistency of peanut butter and every revolution of the tire packs it thicker and heavier on the bike. Every component in the drive train is crushing and grinding through the muck. At the bottom of every hill lies a swamp of mud that grips the front tire like Velcro and attempts to wrench the bars from my hands. It is draining what energy I have left to maintain control and direction of the bike while slipping and spinning the rear tire through the mire. Habitual body English from years of riding motorcycles is keeping me upright in the bogs and low spots. Finally, I crest a hill and splash through a river that rises to the hubs. The mud almost rinses clean but the damage has been done and my legs are groaning worse than ever.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #28327
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Got the mtb out for 20 mi today... Man am i outta shape on the mtb......LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #28328
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Quote:
The new ones are very light and very vented. Unlike what I started riding with in the late 80s.

I've been riding with a helmet on so long, it feels weird to not wear one.

Oh, and no matter what your Mom sez, your head is NOT as hard as a rock. I've got the scars to prove it.

M
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #28329
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The new ones are very light and very vented. Unlike what I started riding with in the late 80s.

I've been riding with a helmet on so long, it feels weird to not wear one.

Oh, and no matter what your Mom sez, your head is NOT as hard as a rock. I've got the scars to prove it.

M
I bought a cheapie when I started road riding, but it sucked so bad to wear, I tossed it on day one. I've got all the excuses down, don't ride in traffic, don't ride real fast(I did hit 40 on a downhill last week, first time for that! ), never ride dusk till dawn, etc. But, that might just not be enough some day.
Worst part is, I've been making a mental list of things I need for a year now. New shoes would be nice, but new cleats are really needed. I could use a new pair of riding shorts or bibs since the damned dog chewed up a pair last fall. Hell, who knows what else I'll find I need when I get to the store.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #28330
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Get a good lid. Safety is one thing, but quality helmets are so much easier to ride in.

I forget mine is even there when I ride.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #28331
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 32,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Aaaaaaand I'm back on bikeforums.net.
Did you get banned?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #28332
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 32,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This is mistaken for many reasons. For starters, it's far from clear how you're using the word 'performance'. When I say 'performance', I mean the shortest time in which someone can ride from point A to point B. Without being held up by other riders. Without crashing. Without equipment failures. That plainly isn't possible in a race, which makes it all the more puzzling that you describe it as an event in which "you've eliminated about as many variables as possible". A moment's reflection should tell you that precisely the opposite is true.
Racing is the only way to determine the winner of a race though, and that's what racing is all about.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #28333
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Get a good lid. Safety is one thing, but quality helmets are so much easier to ride in.

I forget mine is even there when I ride.
What ya got?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #28334
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
What ya got?
Well, I had a Giro Aeon, but someone decided that they needed it worse than me one day. I was running after my bike ride, and my bike was locked in the truck, but the helmet was just sitting in the bed and someone plucked it.

I have the Bell Array now. Both helmets were stupid light, and very comfortable.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #28335
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
I have a Specialized Max helmet I got a few years ago, XXL... fits me WAY better than most any other moderate priced helmets. In motorcycles, I wear an Arai Signet in XL, thats the long oval shape, as my crown is quite large front to rear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: