User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #28321
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,829
Just wanted to point out that as regards visibility, a recent study stated that it was the narrow width of bikes/ cyclists/ motorcyclists that caused the cage drivers to "not see" them, not the height. This would render the whole "i'm lower so they can't see me" argument moot. They can't see you period.

The study noted that if, however, there was something unusual (a recumbent (not your everyday sight,) or a motorcyclist standing on the pegs, etc) then the motorists were "forced" to see them as their eyes would literally look directly at the subject and focus, versus just sweep over.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #28322
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There are far too many random variables in racing which contaminate the results: bad weather, equipment failures, accidents, getting stuck behind slower riders, etc. Strava eliminates all these, making it a much better indicator of performance.
How does Strava eliminate bad weather , equipment failures and accidents ?

Mighty powerful software if it indeed does ...
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #28323
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,734
Lovely, target fixation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Just wanted to point out that as regards visibility, a recent study stated that it was the narrow width of bikes/ cyclists/ motorcyclists that caused the cage drivers to "not see" them, not the height. This would render the whole "i'm lower so they can't see me" argument moot. They can't see you period.

The study noted that if, however, there was something unusual (a recumbent (not your everyday sight,) or a motorcyclist standing on the pegs, etc) then the motorists were "forced" to see them as their eyes would literally look directly at the subject and focus, versus just sweep over.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #28324
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
How does Strava eliminate bad weather , equipment failures and accidents ?

Mighty powerful software if it indeed does ...
Lemme see if I can explain it to you. When you participate in a race, you are leaving it up to chance what the result will be: all sorts of variables outside your control will determine when (or if) you cross the finish line. Not so with Strava. With Strava, there are no racers in front of you to either slow you down or take you out in a crash. If you suffer an equipment failure, you repair it and start over. If it's raining or extremely windy out, or if you're not feeling well, you pick another day. Only by eliminating all these random variables can you get an accurate picture of your ability and that of your bike. Strava makes that possible; racing doesn't.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #28325
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,701
I got nuthin.

M
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #28326
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I got nuthin.

M
No surprise there.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #28327
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Lemme see if I can explain it to you. When you participate in a race, you are leaving it up to chance what the result will be: all sorts of variables outside your control will determine when (or if) you cross the finish line. Not so with Strava. With Strava, there are no racers in front of you to either slow you down or take you out in a crash. If you suffer an equipment failure, you repair it and start over. If it's raining or extremely windy out, or if you're not feeling well, you pick another day. Only by eliminating all these random variables can you get an accurate picture of your ability and that of your bike. Strava makes that possible; racing doesn't.
and no other racers to beat your ass.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #28328
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Yer killin' me here

Post up your best times, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't wait to see them
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #28329
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
and no other racers to beat your ass.
On the contrary. Any racer has the opportunity to beat my Strava records at any time, just like I have the opportunity to beat theirs at any time.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #28330
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Yer killin' me here

Post up your best times, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't wait to see them
Best times in what? Mountain biking? Road? Long distance? Sprints? Got any particular segments in mind?

Here's my most recent one: http://app.strava.com/activities/49937868#883983773

Brad Whidden, who I'm tied for 4th place with is a road racer. So are Kyle and Christy Markel. The other three names I don't recognize.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #28331
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Best times in what? Mountain biking? Road? Long distance? Sprints? Got any particular segments in mind?

Here's my most recent one: http://app.strava.com/activities/49937868#883983773

Brad Whidden, who I'm tied for 4th place with is a road racer. So are Kyle and Christy Markel. The other three names I don't recognize.
In what, dick-swinging
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #28332
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In what, dick-swinging
I see. You challenged me to:

Quote:
And when I did, you accuse me of 'dick-swinging'. Rest assured, you won't be wasting any more of my time in future.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #28333
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:

And when I did, you accuse me of 'dick-swinging'. Rest assured, you won't be wasting any more of my time in future.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #28334
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,628
Quote:

Quote:
Quoted - just in case someone's on ignore.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #28335
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,434
I'm going for a real ride, with real people, later, who will really kick my ass!!!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: