Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #28336
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Isn't there an APP for that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I'm going for a real ride, with real people, later, who will really kick my ass!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #28337
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Quoted - just in case someone's on ignore.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #28338
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I'm going for a real ride, with real people, later, who will really kick my ass!!!
I'll be going out on my own later on and I know for sure, the ride will kicky my ass
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #28339
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Worked overnight then slept 3.5 hours before I went out for a 19 mile ride. I had to get back home to pick up the boy from the sitter's, otherwise I would tried to go longer. Temp was upper 40s, maybe the warmest I've ridden in this year.
Got a century ride coming up on Sunday, and the weather this year has made preparing for it virtually impossible, but the forecast is for sunny and 70s on the day of the ride. I think we'll be able to manage the full ride if we pace ourselves. Looking forward to it though, longest ride I've done previously is 70ish miles.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #28340
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Best times in what? Mountain biking? Road? Long distance? Sprints? Got any particular segments in mind?

Here's my most recent one: http://app.strava.com/activities/49937868#883983773

Brad Whidden, who I'm tied for 4th place with is a road racer. So are Kyle and Christy Markel. The other three names I don't recognize.
Ok, but if brad whidden got his time in a 20mph headwind, and you got yours with a 5mph tailwind, not only would you not know, but you might get an inflated sense of your own abilities.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #28341
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Does strava keep track of facecicles?

I need to make sure I have the best facecicles on a given ride.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #28342
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
From a strictly scientific sort of perspective, racing would be the best way to gauge relative performance. If all riders are experiencing the same environmental variables, then all of the variables are controlled for. Then you can get down to comparing rider and bike performance as you've eliminated about as many variables as possible.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #28343
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,412
So day 3 of the migraine means I skipped riding today. Just about the time I was thinking of heading out I hit a wall.

Didn't think pushing on top of not sleeping on top of a headache from hell was the smart thing to do. I rode over to the MC dealer with my little brother. He bought hisself a CRF150F to play around on and it needed TLC. AKA carb rebuild parts, and 2 new tires.

M
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #28344
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Ok, but if brad whidden got his time in a 20mph headwind, and you got yours with a 5mph tailwind, not only would you not know, but you might get an inflated sense of your own abilities.
Well, I suppose congratulations are in order for at least offering a seemingly plausible objection. Most of the criticisms of Strava I've heard are so breathtakingly ignorant that it's hard to know whether to take them seriously.

So, what's wrong with what you've suggested? At least three things. First, the trail in question is in the middle of a wooded area, surrounded by tall trees. There is no wind out there. Second, someone looking to set a personal record obvious isn't going to attempt it while he's facing a strong headwind. He'll wait until conditions are right so that the results will accurately reflect his performance. Third, you fail to consider the fact that these record runs represent each rider's BEST results, not their ONLY results. If you look at the dates when these records were set, you'll see that most of them were set months ago, with mine being the only recent one. That suggests that these older runs are the very best of multiple tries at a personal record, not a one time only attempt.

So while your objection does have some initial plausibility, there are no sound reasons to think it represents reality, and several reasons to think it doesn't.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #28345
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Edit: I retract my statement, enjoy yourself.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:06 PM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #28346
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Gotta use the notes section, and upgrade to Total Master.

I've ridden hills that don't exist and still lose my KOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Does strava keep track of facecicles?

I need to make sure I have the best facecicles on a given ride.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #28347
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
From a strictly scientific sort of perspective, racing would be the best way to gauge relative performance. If all riders are experiencing the same environmental variables, then all of the variables are controlled for. Then you can get down to comparing rider and bike performance as you've eliminated about as many variables as possible.
This is mistaken for many reasons. For starters, it's far from clear how you're using the word 'performance'. When I say 'performance', I mean the shortest time in which someone can ride from point A to point B. Without being held up by other riders. Without crashing. Without equipment failures. That plainly isn't possible in a race, which makes it all the more puzzling that you describe it as an event in which "you've eliminated about as many variables as possible". A moment's reflection should tell you that precisely the opposite is true.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #28348
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Well, looks like you've thought about it quite a bit more than I have. Unique perspective indeed.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #28349
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Substitute wind for mud, sand, trail re-route, debris on trail, satellite blockages and errors, erosion, etc.
Did you think we were talking about a dirt trail? Your assumptions couldn't be further off the mark.

Quote:
And I'm not objecting to anything. Your reasoning seems, for lack of a better word, unique.
The word you're looking for is 'unassailable'.

Quote:
How you participate in cycling is up to you. Also, I'm guessing many out there aren't looking to set Strava 'records' with as much determination as you are.
That 'guess' would at best be a wild guess.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #28350
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

I try to be polite, but damn you come off as a pompous assbag. Enjoy that $10k specialized and your KOMs, Joey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: