Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 275 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #28351
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I try to be polite, but damn you come off as a pompous assbag. Enjoy that $10k specialized and your KOMs, Joey.
Aurelius is the offspring of forbidden love between a Conehead and a Vulcan. Dont take it personally, he is just being logical.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #28352
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
I try to be polite, but damn you come off as a pompous assbag. Enjoy that $10k specialized and your KOMs, Joey.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #28353
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Dont take it personally, he is just being logical.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #28354
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And to think that you'd gotten off to such a good start by posting the first seemingly rational criticism of Strava. Looks like you need to work on your endurance.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #28355
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Stinky bait is stinky. Can we go back to talking about bicycles and cycling now?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #28356
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Just wanted to point out that as regards visibility, a recent study stated that it was the narrow width of bikes/ cyclists/ motorcyclists that caused the cage drivers to "not see" them, not the height. This would render the whole "i'm lower so they can't see me" argument moot. They can't see you period.

The study noted that if, however, there was something unusual (a recumbent (not your everyday sight,) or a motorcyclist standing on the pegs, etc) then the motorists were "forced" to see them as their eyes would literally look directly at the subject and focus, versus just sweep over.
I read a study recently about idiot cagers ramming into parked police cars, you know, when they've pulled over someone or are stopped to help a motorist and some dumbfuck rams into the parked cop car with lights blazing, out of the travel lane, etc. This happens all too regularly here in Virginia; I saw one story where a driver smashed over/through a police car and hit the tractor-trailer rig he'd pulled over. WTF?!?!?!? Apparently the on-coming motorist sees all the blazing lights, fixates on them, and plows into the ass end because they think the car is moving in the same direction (or some such thing ). So, the police decided that if they park their cars at an angle to traffic so that it looks out of place or unusual in the rest of the traffic stream, this will help.

I don't know if they've come to any conclusion yet, but I have: The vast majority of people driving cars are fooking idiots who are paying attention to anything and everything EXCEPT actually driving their damned car safely. It apparently doesn't matter to a large portion of the motoring public what you wear/drive/ride, how big or small you are, whether you are emblazoned with visually toxic colors, waving flags or brilliant flashing lights, you just don't exist to these idiots. I really don't know of anything you can do except ride "paranoid aggressive" - watch like a hawk, keep your radar on constantly, be prepared to take aggressive action to protect yourself (i.e. get out of the way - they don't see you!). I do this on my bike, on my motorcycles, and in my car or truck. So far, so good but I will not relax my vigil for a second.

On a happier note:

Glorious and gorgeous! But dude, you need to farkle that thing, it's lookin' a bit nekkid.

Doug
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #28357
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,306
I always wondered my the cops around here pulled off the road diagonally, it makes sense now. Beautiful hard tail, is it steel?
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #28358
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

Some people just have this need to show off. It seems, his vehicle of choice (pun intended) is a bicycle just as with the Gay Pirate brigade, it's a chopper...

Oh well...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #28359
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There are far too many random variables in racing which contaminate the results: bad weather, equipment failures, accidents, getting stuck behind slower riders, etc. Strava eliminates all these, making it a much better indicator of performance.
You have no idea of what you're talking about. You are a Fred.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #28360
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
You have no idea of what you're talking about. You are a Fred.
Wow. Clearly no response would be adequate against the power and subtlety of that argument.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #28361
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,578
T minus 1 day until I enter the most physically and mentally demanding race I have to date. Saturday kicks off the Cohutta 100 ultra endurance race and, if the weather report is any indicator, this promises to be a memory making event. The body is as ready as it will ever be, the mind is awash with "what-ifs" and the 29er is woefully under-utilized to this point. I've been meticulous and consistent with my road training to maintain the cardio base, but am mildly concerned with switching over to a 10+ hour dueling match with the MTB and 160 or so other testosterone-fueled personalities.

This should be an epic day. Hopefully I'll have a chance to snap some pics for you hooligans.

Trying to calculate the calories I'll need for the race consumes most of my thoughts right now. At roughly 10 +/- hours in the saddle, I'm figuring approximately 400-450 calories per hour that my body can absorb. Obviously the greatest source of these calories are simple carbs with a few long-chain carbs for slow burn and aiding digestion. I really love the Tailwind Nutrition liquid calories. Each 39cc scoop yields approximately 100 calories and, since it is so light on taste, that can easily be doubled up or even tripled. Each Camelbak fill will net me 800 calories in addition to the hydration of 70oz/fill. I'm staging those fills about every 3 hours.

This is what 4830 calories looks like just in case you're curious:

Ridge screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 08:39 AM
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #28362
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
T minus 1 day until I enter the most physically and mentally demanding race I have to date. Saturday kicks off the Cohutta 100 ultra endurance race and, if the weather report is any indicator, this promises to be a memory making event. The body is as ready as it will ever be, the mind is awash with "what-ifs" and the 29er is woefully under-utilized to this point. I've been meticulous and consistent with my road training to maintain the cardio base, but am mildly concerned with switching over to a 10+ hour dueling match with the MTB and 160 or so other testosterone-fueled personalities.

This should be an epic day. Hopefully I'll have a chance to snap some pics for you hooligans.

Trying to calculate the calories I'll need for the race consumes most of my thoughts right now. At roughly 10 +/- hours in the saddle, I'm figuring approximately 400-450 calories per hour that my body can absorb. Obviously the greatest source of these calories are simple carbs with a few long-chain carbs for slow burn and aiding digestion. I really love the Tailwind Nutrition liquid calories. Each 39cc scoop yields approximately 100 calories and, since it is so light on taste, that can easily be doubled up or even tripled. Each Camelbak fill will net me 800 calories in addition to the hydration of 70oz/fill. I'm staging those fills about every 3 hours.

This is what 4830 calories looks like just in case you're curious:
good luck & make sure you get onto Strava... as it's the only true measure
but seriously.. good luck & go fast

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #28363
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Wow. Clearly no response would be adequate against the power and subtlety of that argument.
I wish you guys would take this shite to JoMamma or maybe PM, your personal e-mail, Twitter, or FaceBook accounts and give the rest of us a break, eh? C'mon, play nice or just please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

Dude, I can only look on with envy and wish you the best of luck! At 55 y.o. and wife's private business, full-time demanding job, a shit-load of kids and grandkids, a small farm to take care of, etc. the best I can hope for is time to enjoy about 50 to 100 miles a week on the bicycles (long lunch breaks) and a few 100 on the motorcycles (including riding to work and back, ho hum but better than a cage). I did some racing when I was younger and it was fun, but after coming close to harking up a lung at the top of a massive hill in a mountain bike race I decided I wasn't going to do any more of that. I won my class that day, but I was holding up the "kids" in their 20's and 30's and 40's... Now I cycle for fun only, sometimes with a group of road animals (I have a friend who is 67 and I can not keep up with him) but that's as close to racing as I want to get these days.

Do your best, come back with lots of fun memories, and don't blow a lung or hurt yourself! Best wishes.

Doug
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #28364
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,152
Best of luck Ridge !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #28365
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,879
Quote: