Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #28411
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I think someone needs to find another hobby instead of motorcycling...

I did my first century today. I'm pretty happy with it, 15mph moving average. The weather's been so crappy this spring I only had less than 200 road miles altogether, so I increased my mileage by over 50%. I was pretty careful about eating and drinking and we made five supported rest stops with snacks and bevereages. I didn't have any problems with cramps , but there was a 15mph wind out of the south that KICKED my ass, I felt really good on the hills early on, but the wind just beat me down . The last 29 mile loop sucked, and on paper it should have been the easiest, but my ass was dragging. Anyway, I've finally got a century under my belt.

Congrats. It's a heck of an accomplishment to do a century. When I do them, I just use it as an excuse to eat non stop. I attack aide stations. Hahaha
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #28412
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,071
carbon on the cheap

Itching to get myself a carbon framed bicycle. Not wanting to spend over $1000 so it will be used. I have found the following in or near my price range locally.

2010 Cannondale Synapse 4
2007 Specialized Roubaix comp
2008 Specialized Roubaix
2012 Specialized Tarmac mid compact Apex

Not in a huge hurry. Anyone have experience with the above? Or know of a reason to run away from them ?
thanks in advance
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #28413
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Itching to get myself a carbon framed bicycle. Not wanting to spend over $1000 so it will be used. I have found the following in or near my price range locally.

2008 Specialized Roubaix

Not in a huge hurry. Anyone have experience with the above? Or know of a reason to run away from them ?
one of these things is not like the others...

IOW that Tarmac is going to be 'racier' geometry-wise than the others. I'm a fan of Roubaix-es. Magic carpet ride that's still stiff enough to race on.

Ride em. See which one YOU like. Best way to tell.

M
Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #28414
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,299
Let’s begin with the drive to the Ocoee Whitewater Center. Six hours of conversation that revolved around a central theme; “Why, oh why, could we have not raced Friday rather than Saturday? Watching the weather reports all week for Ducktown, TN and Blue Ridge, GA did not bode well for a 100 mile ultra-endurance race… especially one that was to be 95 percent off-road. Overnight storms were predicted to move through Friday evening and tapering down throughout Saturday. As the race was to begin at 7am, this meant our best hope was for a wet start and drying out as the day progressed… wishful thinking. We were teased with stunning full sun and 70 degrees for the entire drive to our destination.

Our arrival, registration confirmation and pre-ride of the first single track section just added to the insult that would come later. The trails were tacky but mostly dry for the 1 hour pre-ride and everyone seemed to be in high spirits for the following day’s event. We packed up, headed out to our hotel in Blue Ridge, GA then shuffled around the downtown area for dinner. As an aside, the quaint little burg of Blue Ridge appears to be a tourist destination for Atlanta-ites. The food was excellent, albeit a bit pricey and the selection of establishments numbers around a dozen but they roll up the streets early so get your eating and drinking done quickly. Until 3 years ago it was a dry town and their menus reflect that fact although there is a German Bier Garten on Main which we did not get to try. I highly recommend Christy Lee’s Backyard Grill and Harvest On Main for quality food. Our drive back to the hotel revealed an ominous bank of clouds looming over the hills in the distance. Nodding off to sleep, the thunder rolled off in the distance and the rain moved in heavy.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #28415
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
+1 I love the way my Roubaix rides. Bought it after a phone conversation with Gummee. A race bike might not be much fun after an hour in the saddle.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #28416
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

IOW that Tarmac is going to be 'racier' geometry-wise than the others. I'm a fan of Roubaix-es. Magic carpet ride that's still stiff enough to race on.

M
Agreed.

I wouldn't even consider the Tarmac. You're not a racer, so don't buy a race bike. The other 3 are all nice bikes. However, if those Roubaix are not carbon, then, the Cannondale would be the one I'd most likely consider. Specialized made lower-end Roubaix models that are aluminum framed and don't ride like the carbon bikes. But, as Gummee!! said, give 'em a test ride.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #28417
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
That must have been some serious mud. It splashed up a full storage compartment and a water bottle holder, and was sticky enough to keep them mounted properly!

Just kidding, great job finishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
shoot me now...

I feel like I've been beat with a , run over by a frozen like a and out to rot...

Most brutal day on a bike... ever!

Full report to follow as soon as I get my joints and brain working in unison again.

Just for a teaser; here is a before and after shot of the bike:

RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #28418
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,433
Holy crap, Ridge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #28419
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:

M
What he said. The Roubaix is super comfortable. I actually really liked the Cannondale Super Six I rode as well, if you can find one of those in your budget.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #28420
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I think someone needs to find another hobby instead of motorcycling...

I did my first century today. I'm pretty happy with it, 15mph moving average. The weather's been so crappy this spring I only had less than 200 road miles altogether, so I increased my mileage by over 50%. I was pretty careful about eating and drinking and we made five supported rest stops with snacks and bevereages. I didn't have any problems with cramps , but there was a 15mph wind out of the south that KICKED my ass, I felt really good on the hills early on, but the wind just beat me down . The last 29 mile loop sucked, and on paper it should have been the easiest, but my ass was dragging. Anyway, I've finally got a century under my belt.

Nice job!
Looks like they took you guys on a nice route.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #28421
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:

M

I put the tarmac in for consideration because it is close and relatively cheap and only a year old.

Thanks for the responses all. I will continue my search and attempt to ride numerous models prior to plunking down $$.

The Dude
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #28422
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

2008 Specialized Roubaix

thanks in advance
I bought a left over Synapse carbon rival this year and it's the bike I rode my century on yesterday. I can't really complain about it at all. I wanted a more upright position and I got it. I don't think the ride quality was significantly different than the r1000 I was riding previously, but I think Cannondale has their stuff together when talking aluminum. I prefer the SRAM group over Shimano, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Nice job!
Looks like they took you guys on a nice route.
Thanks! (and to everyone else too)

The route was nice. The Scandia and Afton loops were really scenic, but I didn't care for the loops. Or, more specifically, I didn't care for the fact that to do the whole route I needed to loop back past the starting point and then finish on a stretch (slightly hilly) that I'd already ridden once. It was the first time I've ridden it, but I've heard the previous routes weren't as nice, with a lot of city streets, etc...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #28423
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 227
2x1 drivetrain?

Just started with the singlespeeding last fall and really like it, but I got to wondering. . . . lots of 1x8 drivetrains, etc around. anyone ever seen 2 or 3 rings in front with a single cog and a chain tensioner?
nephron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #28424
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,829
I'm training toward a long ride in May, and have come to feel cramped on my moustache bars after 40 miles. After tossing around going to more upright bars (like Albatross), even flipped my M-bars up (impossible to get good brake positions), it hit me: I had a pair of 46 cm drop bars (Nitto Noodles) that came on my fixed-gear.

The wide flats on top give me the hand rest position I wanted, and the braking positions are better, especially on descents. My bar-end shifters fit perfectly, and are still an easy reach.

Funny... I have been happy with the M-bars for over a decade, but the change to drop bars feels good, feels right.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #28425
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm training toward a long ride in May, and have come to feel cramped on my moustache bars after 40 miles. After tossing around going to more upright bars (like Albatross), even flipped my M-bars up (impossible to get good brake positions), it hit me: I had a pair of 46 cm drop bars (Nitto Noodles) that came on my fixed-gear.

The wide flats on top give me the hand rest position I wanted, and the braking positions are better, especially on descents. My bar-end shifters fit perfectly, and are still an easy reach.

Funny... I have been happy with the M-bars for over a decade, but the change to drop bars feels good, feels right.
If it feels right, keep doing it. Not my quote but wholly applicable in this case.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: