Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #28486
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Sounds like dick waving to me.
Now, did I say I posted it on Strava....I could give a shit what someone else could do the same route in but then, I'm not some form of pseudo-racer now am I....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #28487
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Now, did I say I posted it on Strava....I could give a shit what someone else could do the same route in but then, I'm not some form of pseudo-racer now am I....
Nope. Just a dick waver.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #28488
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Nope. Just a dick waver.
Right, because everyone in this thread is super impressed with my sad little effort...and I could give a shit about that, I was impressed with my effort and I certainly don't feel the need to publish my MapMyRide workout as proof...unlike some....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #28489
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
My ride report of the Texas Rando Stampede 1200 is available. Thanks!
Very well done! I miss my Texas roots and can't wait to return later this year.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #28490
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Right, because everyone in this thread is super impressed with my sad little effort...and I could give a shit about that, I was impressed with my effort and I certainly don't feel the need to publish my MapMyRide workout as proof...unlike some....
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #28491
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,488
Here we go again - reason why I deleted my post.

Got out again last night, I was dying and took a few minutes to just hang out in the woods and look around a bit while recovering. Damn I love this sport, almost more than moto.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #28492
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Here we go again - reason why I deleted my post.

Got out again last night, I was dying and took a few minutes to just hang out in the woods and look around a bit while recovering. Damn I love this sport, almost more than moto.
That's the best part, being part of what's going on around you, instead of roaring by at 70 mph. I've been on two 200+ mile bicycle trips to VT the last 2 summers, and seeing it bicycle speed is a whole different experience. I can't wait to do it again this year!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #28493
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
That's another one of my criticisms concerning Strava. After a ride, I always click on the 'Performance' tab to see fast or slow I went in certain sections. A green line represents the elevation changes for that particular segment. You would think that this line would look the same no matter who rode that particular segment, but it doesn't! There are in fact HUGE differences visible when comparing the shapes of the elevation curves. Some of them don't remotely resemble the section of road they're supposed to represent. I've mentioned this to other Strava users, but I've never heard an explanation for it.
If you're using something like a Garmin Edge series, then elevation is sensed via an altimeter. Changes in barometric pressure due to atmospheric conditions will cause errors in elevation tracking. I did a ride through a series of thunderstorms last month, and the uploaded elevation profile bore absolutely no resemblance to reality. You can enable elevation correction if this is the case. If you're using the Strava iPhone or Droid app, I dunno what to tell you.

Here's a link to Strava's knowledge base that explains it better: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...-your-activity

TheNedster screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 01:13 PM Reason: Added linky
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #28494
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
If you're using something like a Garmin Edge series, then elevation is sensed via an altimeter. Changes in barometric pressure due to atmospheric conditions will cause errors in elevation tracking. I did a ride through a series of thunderstorms last month, and the uploaded elevation profile bore absolutely no resemblance to reality. You can enable elevation correction if this is the case. If you're using the Strava iPhone or Droid app, I dunno what to tell you.

Here's a link to Strava's knowledge base that explains it better: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...-your-activity
I'm using a Garmin Edge 800, so hopefully that correction will work.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #28495
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
That's another one of my criticisms concerning Strava. After a ride, I always click on the 'Performance' tab to see fast or slow I went in certain sections. A green line represents the elevation changes for that particular segment. You would think that this line would look the same no matter who rode that particular segment, but it doesn't! There are in fact HUGE differences visible when comparing the shapes of the elevation curves. Some of them don't remotely resemble the section of road they're supposed to represent. I've mentioned this to other Strava users, but I've never heard an explanation for it.
Compression. You can't have the ride laid out as long as it should be on the computer screen.

M
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #28496
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Where Strava gets it wrong is on tight, twisty mountain bike trails, especially where two different trails run close together. In conditions like that, it sometimes confuses one trail with another. I have on rare occasions gotten credit for segments I did not ride, while not getting credit for segments I did ride. I have also noticed that when taking shortcuts on a trail, Strava will still give me credit for having ridden every inch of it.
This bugs me as well. For instance, last night I got out for a ride and actually had my fastest time ever on the local trail My Garmin measured every inch of the trail (as accurate as GPS can be anyway) and like you said my total distance was the exact same as it always is. However, Strava only gave me credit for one out of four sections and did not register that I rode the entire trail. The section it gave me credit for, it only used my elapsed time for about half of the segment So, I shot up the leader-board thingy, but its all a rouse. That said, my total time was faster than ever, and this was without many workouts lately due to a multitude of reasons, so I am happy.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #28497
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Compression. You can't have the ride laid out as long as it should be on the computer screen.

M
No, he's right on this one. A segment is not always the same length for whatever reason. I have ridden several half segments on the local trails, and get credit for the whole thing using my time for a fraction of the trail as my time for the whole trail. I have seen no explanations either on the Strava site or elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #28498
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
PM is no more that a lie detector I've added to my bike. It keeps me honest when my mind is telling me I'm going hard, and it's saying "you're being a pussy".
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #28499
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
PM is no more that a lie detector I've added to my bike. It keeps me honest when my mind is telling me I'm going hard, and it's saying "you're being a pussy".
Honest question... How is that different from heart rate?

Although, I suppose you could shift up a few gears and really mash. That would increase the power you put down, but with fewer revolutions at the crank. Is that more what the power meters are measuring?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #28500
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Honest question... How is that different from heart rate?

Although, I suppose you could shift up a few gears and really mash. That would increase the power you put down, but with fewer revolutions at the crank. Is that more what the power meters are measuring?
Check this link....

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/01...wer-meter.html

This section really applied to my worst day on the brevet...it's exactly how I conserved energy and finished that day:
Using a power meter in a long steady-state race such as a triathlon or long time trial is almost like cheating. When everyone else is fighting a head wind, excitedly going too fast down wind or guessing how hard to push when going up hill, the athlete with a power meter is just rolling along at the prescribed power. He or she will produce the fastest possible ride given the conditions so long as the optimal target power has been determined through training and observed closely during the race. While something similar can be done with heart rate there are some confounding factors such as the excitement of a race, cardiac drift, the acute effect of diet and the slow response of pulse on hills, accelerating out of corners or when passing others.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: