Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #28501
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Speaking of Strava, the one thing I have wished it could do ever since I started using it back in July of last year, apparently it can do

And that is, list all of my times for a particular segment to see improvement over time.

A very cool feature. Especially in seeing that since I started riding last summer, the first segment of the local trail I mainly ride I have decreased my time from 16:30 to almost 10 minutes flat. Very nice improvement!

Why I also like Strava, I can see that the fastest guy listed is at 7 minutes flat, and a lot of the "really in shape" guys I know are in the 8-9 minute range. So, this tells me that I have improved greatly in the past 8 months, and it tells me where I have to go. This is very cool information, for training purposes only.
I don't have any issues using strava for that kind of tracking. Its the johnson waving crowd that gets me.

Tracking you against you is a good thing. I *should* be doing a 20min TT every 4th week, but usually say 'effit TTs hurt too much!'

M
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #28502
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,227
Might be old news to you guys; but my latest edition of Dirt Rag had a section about Gary Fischer's first mountain bikes, with a company aptly named MontainBikes. The article cited this webpage: http://mombat.org/ ... there's some interesting concepts in there, it's crazy to see how far we've come with bike tech.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #28503
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,800
For those of you in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

If I were just a little bit closer I would try it out. $15 a race seems legit to me
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #28504
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Hey guys! Just found this thread down here and thought I would check in. I have gotten back into cycling over the last 2 years and just finished building my Road bike ( I've been trail riding for the last 2 ).

I have a question ( Not wanting to start another oil debate type thread ) so here goes. What Road tire are most of you guys running for training? I currently have a set of Zipp Tangente tires mounted but after reading reviews online it looks like most don't rate them very high for durability. I was looking at a set of Conti 4000's but wanted to get opinions here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #28505
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
Hey guys! Just found this thread down here and thought I would check in. I have gotten back into cycling over the last 2 years and just finished building my Road bike ( I've been trail riding for the last 2 ).

I have a question ( Not wanting to start another oil debate type thread ) so here goes. What Road tire are most of you guys running for training? I currently have a set of Zipp Tangente tires mounted but after reading reviews online it looks like most don't rate them very high for durability. I was looking at a set of Conti 4000's but wanted to get opinions here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
For training? Pro4 Endurance or the Grand Prix (non-4000s) are going to be fine if you don't order from online shops in the UK. If you DO order from online shops in the UK, I really, really like my GP4000s-es.

I've run pretty much anything from Supercomp HDs in 19mm to 28c Gatorskins. For training tires I tend to buy things that last vs the lightest and stickiest.

HTH

M
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #28506
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For training? Pro4 Endurance or the Grand Prix (non-4000s) are going to be fine if you don't order from online shops in the UK. If you DO order from online shops in the UK, I really, really like my GP4000s-es.

I've run pretty much anything from Supercomp HDs in 19mm to 28c Gatorskins. For training tires I tend to buy things that last vs the lightest and stickiest.

HTH

M
Thanks Gummee! Yes, they would be for training. I don't plan on any races just yet. Just jumping back into Road cycling and want to get used to things again. I've been away from Cycling for quite a few years... But if you don't jump back in you never will right?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #28507
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, and here's the new training whip!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #28508
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,072
zionks ! lovely ride Mr Cajun

I am currently riding conti gran prix all seasons in 28mm , a little heavy maybe but no flats and they roll nicely.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #28509
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

I am currently riding conti gran prix all seasons in 28mm , a little heavy maybe but no flats and they roll nicely.
Thanks Zippy! She's ALLOT lighter than the Trek I had back in the day!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #28510
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,072
Fargo ?

Thought I would put a feeler out. Anybody looking for a lightly used first gen Fargo size medium ? With another joining the herd soon thinking of thinning what doesn't get ridden much. would give first cousin price to an adv'er.

sorry if this is in bad taste not being the flea market and all .....
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #28511
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
Oh, and here's the new training whip!
Niiiiiiice.

My vittoria rubino pro slicks have been very good to me on the Baltimore cityscape, which can be pretty tough on tires. to put it mildly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #28512
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

I've flatted my 28c Gatorskins. Hit a rock just wrong on a gravel ride and voila! instant pinch. S'why I went to the Tufo tubulars for the gravel rides.

Gatorskins aren't what you'd call a nice-riding tire, but they ARE durable.

M
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #28513
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again for the info guys! I sure am having a blast being back in the saddle.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #28514
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've flatted my 28c Gatorskins. Hit a rock just wrong on a gravel ride and voila! instant pinch. S'why I went to the Tufo tubulars for the gravel rides.

Gatorskins aren't what you'd call a nice-riding tire, but they ARE durable.

M
Darn tootin' they are. After 2,000 miles of uninterrupted inflation, I flatted one of my Gatorskins for the first time last night, courtesy of a 1" roofing nail. Since they're just about worn out anyways, I had the LBS order me up a pair of Clement Strada LGG in 25mm.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #28515
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
25c Rubino Pro's. I put a lot of seat time in, with very shitty roads... I can't recomend these tires enough. Especially the 25's if you have rough pavement.

Sick S-Works...
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: