User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #28516
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Anyone interested in a non-decaled Full Tilt Boogie/Hot Buns carbon crosser?

I need a backup race frame for next cross season and like the way my FTB rides, so I went and found the original manufacturer. Order 1 its ~$500. Order 3 the price goes down. Order 5 and the price goes down again.

We can get em custom painted at the factory if y'all want. (but the price goes up slightly)

This particular model is non-disc.

M
Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #28517
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
Hey all,
I know this has been talked about, but I can't search three letters.

I am looking for a simple GPS for my bike. I primarily just want to track for later documenting.... Small is good.
I was thinking a Garmin edge 200

I don't have a smart phone.

mud screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 11:39 AM
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #28518
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for a simple GPS for my bike. I primarily just want to track for later documenting.... Small is good.

If all you want to do is track mileage and stuff, look for a forerunner series watch. More useful overall than a cycling computer.

If you want to add heart rate at a later date, stick with something in the Edge 500 series or the Bryton family The Edge 200 isn't compatible with anything. It is what it is: basic GPS-enabled cycling computer.

If you go surf slowtwitch, there was at least one Edge 500 for sale for lots off.

HTH

I just got back from a 3.5hr loop. Rode over to the Wed winter loop, did that, then rode home. First hour = tarmac. Second hour and a half = dirt. Last bit = tarmac and a headwind.

Tried to attack the hills. Got my HR to the same place as I did last Mon on Busthead Rd but the legs weren't screaming nearly as loudly. I could crest the hill and less than 30sec later, my HR's back down to zone 1. Fitness is getting back to where it used to be. Yay for fitness!

Hope y'all's rides went as well.

M
Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #28519
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Well, the 3 State 3 Mountain century was an adventure today. Im glad the wife goaded me into buying a Cannondale rain jacket last night during packet pickup, as it pissed down buckets and never exceeded 50 degrees today. Many times during the course of the ride I would say out loud "rule #5" just to push through. I witnessed several riders hobbling into the quitter bus at two of the sag stops. Those who of us who didn't give up (or take the shorter mileage options) decided to press on regardless despite conditions that proved to be deadly. At least one rider paid the ultimate price.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/4...3-State-3.aspx
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #28520
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Hey all,

I got a Garmin 200 last year..love it. I does everything I need it to do and nothing else. Connect to the Garmin community website to upload and track...or Strava, whichever your preference.

As Gummiee has said, the Forerunner might be more practical, but I know couple of people who found they lost connections when riding. Might have been earlier models, who knows.

For $150 bucks or less, it's had to beat and it really changed my training.

As always...YMMV

Alan

Mrs Maritimer on packing lunches: "Don't forget the pepper grinder. Just because we are eating cottage cheese at work, doesn't mean we need to be heathens about it."
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #28521
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,614
Texas Stampede 1200.....done gotdammit

Done at 10 pm which I believe is 87 hrs. Full report to follow. Meanwhile, here's a teaser in the form of an English football sportscast.

First, from the Man versus Animal League....it was
Wild Pigs 2
Tandem Team 0

From the Man versus Texas DOT Maintenance League
Crack Attack 1
Single Cyclist 0

And finally...from the Man versus Domesticated Dog League, this one ended in sudden death:
The Doberman 0
Ford Explorer 1

All riders are or will be ok.

k7 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 08:23 PM
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #28522
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
You da man!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #28523
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Done at 10 pm which I believe is 86 hrs. Full report to follow. Meanwhile, here's a teaser in the form of an English football sportscast.

First, from the Man versus Animal League....it was
Wild Pigs 2
Tandem Team 0

From the Man versus Texas DOT Maintenance League
Crack Attack 1
Single Cyclist 0

And finally...from the Man versus Domesticated Dog League, this one ended in sudden death:
The Doberman 0
Ford Explorer 1

All riders are or will be ok.

Glad you made it. ...tho every time you post one of these RRs it makes me feel like a complete wuss!

M
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #28524
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Century ride report

Yesterday was my fourth time riding the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge, a 100 mile century that starts and finishes at Finley Stadium on Chattanooga. At packet pickup Friday night, the wife convinced me to buy a Cannondale rain jacket, which would prove to be money well spent. Saturday morning started cold and rainy, conditions which would continue throughout the entire day. We climbed Raccoon Mountain first and it was brutal. The lap around the reservoir up top was downright creepy due to the fog and wind. Then, on the descent the rain drops got larger and pelted my face with extreme prejudice at 43 mph. The first sag stop was located at the bottom along the TN River. After stopping to refill the water bottles, I crammed a fruit bar down my throat and pedaled on toward Nickajack Lake. At this point I realized that wearing water proof Sealskinz socks was a very bad idea as water leaked down into them and stayed there. Imagine if you will, pedaling a bicycle with your feet immersed in buckets of cold water and you have a good idea of what yours truly had to contend with for 6 hours. At every sag stop for the rest of the ride, I would sit down, pull off the socks, and dump out several cups of water. At least the sag support volunteers got some comic relief by observing my sock ritual. Those folks did a great job providing us riders with food, drinks, and even holding our bikes while We refueled. At the 38 mile mark, There was a school bus at the second sag stop being boarded by the quitters, I.e. riders smarter than me. Several more smarter riders opted to cage back at the next stop in Bryant, AL. This was proving to be a ride of attrition. At the top of Hales Gap, just before the descent into Trenton, GA a county deputy had a group of cyclists stopped. He informed us that there was a crash down below involving a rider. After about ten minutes, he gave us the all clear to proceed. Naturally, being a reformed trackday addict ex sport bike rider, I passed everybody on the descent, which is punctuated by a nasty decreasing radius corner. In years past, this is where the rescue squad would park and yell, "slow down" to warn us. Apparently, this is where a woman ass packed an ambulance. She got taken to the hospital. The pics of her bike are not pretty. We descended into Trenton, where the front of the pack caught me on some rollers. By now my left knee was killing me and it was all I could to squeeze out more than 70rpm. We came to an intersection where I had to decide between turning left or right. Left was for those who wanted to take the flat Wauhatchie Pike route back to Chattanooga for a total of 83 miles. I chose to go right for the full 100 mile experience, determined to conquer Burkhalter Gap road, which is the steepest climb up the backside of Lookout Mountain. After refueling my gut with pb&j sammiches and the obligatory sock pour, I attacked the 2.3 mile climb with gusto. The gps registered between 4.5-5.5 mph for the long grind. The Dade County police had the left lane coned off for us, which made it much easier for us to concentrate on the task at hand. The last part of the climb gets steeper increasing from twelve to eighteen percent grade. I did the walk of shame on my first 3State and never want to do it again, so yesterday I stood up and gave it hell. After 29 minutes of climbing, I pulled into the ridge top sag stop, where a deputy informed me that my ride was over, due to another bicycle accident, which turned out to be fatal. Ochs highway was now closed to all traffic, which meant we were stuck. Mission accomplished, but now a group of us were huddled together trying to stave off the effects of hypothermia. People were calling their friends and spouses for car rides back to town. I just wanted to get my blood flowing again. By this point, the shivering was uncontrollable. Finally, a support driver showed up in his F150 and Four of us jumped at the opportunity to warm up in a toasty truck cab while he drove us back to the stadium. Stats: distance of 86.84 miles, time in the saddle 5 hours 51minutes, average speed 14.84mph, 7565 vertical feet climbed.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:39 PM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #28525
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
You guys who punish yourselves with epic rides, are awesome!!! It must be cathartic... Between yesterday and today, I rode 85 miles, with the usual soul sucking killer hills thrown in. Today was wicked windy, in both directions, it seemed! We started the Tuesday night 27 miler last week, with some riders from another group, who are very fast, joining in this year. So going forward, I will be sleeping very well tuesday nights... When I ride with these guys/gals, I always say "Well at least I know my way home" ! I hope everyone got home safely...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #28526
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I had a 75 mile Z2 ride to do today, but I'm stuck at work, so I tried to do it on the trainer.

Yeah.... I managed 56 miles and I tapped out.

JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #28527
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Glad you made it. ...tho every time you post one of these RRs it makes me feel like a complete wuss!

M
What Gummee said!

Quote:
Hey all,

I've used the first generation Edges and now have a 500 and I like them.

Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest you get it from REI for their lifetime warranty. I've had two first generation Edges bite the dust, I'm assuming from vibration during rides. They both lasted a little over two years and both times I returned them to REI and exchanged them for new. The second time I got the 500 because that was the current model. I think it's pretty unusual for electronics to be warrantied this way, but I'm glad to take advantage of it.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #28528
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
I had a 75 mile Z2 ride to do today, but I'm stuck at work, so I tried to do it on the trainer.

Yeah.... I managed 56 miles and I tapped out.

I really want a trainer setup like that for the off season. It's gotta be better than the mid range exercise bike I currently use.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #28529
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I really want a trainer setup like that for the off season. It's gotta be better than the mid range exercise bike I currently use.

It really has made the trainer more bearable. It also has a lot of features I tend to underutilize too. You can write interval programs for it, put in a wattage, and if you get lazy it will tighten up the motor and make you hold watts. I tend to just use it for my long trainer rides though, and do intervals on the fluid.

Trainers just suck though. Unfortunatley, I do 80% of my riding on one, just due to work/family obligations...
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #28530
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Way to tough it out fullmonte!

I spent Mexican St. Paddy's riding the Give Me Wings Century. It's an annual ride put on my one of the local cycling clubs and is their fundraiser for the year. This was my first organized century and was worth the price of admission. There was lots of thunderstorm activity in the mountains which kept the temps down. I managed to stay away from the bulk of the rain, but most of the big decents were pretty wet so I erred on the side of caution and stayed out of Banzai Mode. All in all, a good day in the saddle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: