So awesome.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #28532
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I'm a decade ahead of you and I suspect you're in phenomenal shape compared to me.

But, I can't reconcile our HR differences - I can hold 140-145 for hours if not days. I assume your heart is simply that much more efficient than mine but I can't see why yours won't sustain 145 with ease.

Having said that, I'm about 85% certain that my hemoglobin and hematocrit is low.... 12.5/36 versus 15/45. That could be causing my "issue" of running a slightly higher HR than someone in my shape - a simple lack of oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Again, ...

I suppose it's time to go for an annual physical. I avoided it until after the 1200...didn't want him to tell me (or MrsK7) that it wasn't a good idea to ride it based on my blood count - or lack of as the case may be.
In my mid-30s when I was racing on the track lots my resting hr was appx 33 bpm when I wasn't overtrained. These days its only in the 40s.

I'll hop on the bike waiting for 'that guy' to get ready and I'm in the upper 50s.

IOW I just happen to have a low hr

M
Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #28533
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
HR????

Try cyclocross..... HAHA

This is the file from a CX race I did last winter. It was the first and only CX race I ever did, and it was so much fun...

I was on a buddies bike, but I threw the 705 in the jersey just to record HR. Pretty intense.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248809569
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #28534
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
HR????

Try cyclocross..... HAHA

This is the file from a CX race I did last winter. It was the first and only CX race I ever did, and it was so much fun...

I was on a buddies bike, but I threw the 705 in the jersey just to record HR. Pretty intense.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248809569
Your HR looks nice and smooth. Mine always looks like a saw. I stop working and my HR drops to zone 1 in less than 30sec. Takes me some real doing to keep my HR up. (and I can't figure out what to change to share a page outta my training 'log' at Garmin Connect. )

I can get to the top of a hill at 140bpm+ and by the bottom I'm in the 80s. Sometimes less depending on the hill.

Let's see if this worked:

M
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #28535
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

disc vs rim brakes. Which is more aero?

In case you were wondering.

M
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #28536
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Speaking of heart rate monitors, I want one. I currently use a cheapo bike computer for cadence, speed and distance, and have strava running on my phone in my pocket to be able to look at when I'm done. I'd like to be able to track my heart rate, so would like something I can get on strava, but I also want to be able to watch it while riding. What's my options?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #28537
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Speaking of heart rate monitors, I want one. I currently use a cheapo bike computer for cadence, speed and distance, and have strava running on my phone in my pocket to be able to look at when I'm done. I'd like to be able to track my heart rate, so would like something I can get on strava, but I also want to be able to watch it while riding. What's my options?
strap

dongle

M
Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #28538
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ah crap. Now I remember looking in to this last year. Not a simple thing with android. Limited to a specific hrm, no way to get a secondary display so I don't have to put my phone on my bars. I should just get a cheap hrm with remote display and call it good.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #28539
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Ah crap. Now I remember looking in to this last year. Not a simple thing with android. Limited to a specific hrm, no way to get a secondary display so I don't have to put my phone on my bars. I should just get a cheap hrm with remote display and call it good.
surf on over to DC Rainmaker and look around his site. Lots of info on how to connect this with that.

M
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #28540
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:

Just get a strap/ watch monitor These are pretty cheap these days.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=3&minor=2
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #28541
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Your HR looks nice and smooth. Mine always looks like a saw. I stop working and my HR drops to zone 1 in less than 30sec. Takes me some real doing to keep my HR up. (and I can't figure out what to change to share a page outta my training 'log' at Garmin Connect. )

I can get to the top of a hill at 140bpm+ and by the bottom I'm in the 80s. Sometimes less depending on the hill.

Let's see if this worked:

M
It felt like it was about to come out of my chest. Haha that's the highest I have ever gotten it.

Hills are my weakness. Whenever I get a significant grade, I can get up, but after the effort I have to throttle back. I'm trying to do more threshold intervals to condition myself to recover faster from hard efforts, but it just isn't coming along like I hoped.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #28542
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
It felt like it was about to come out of my chest. Haha that's the highest I have ever gotten it.

Hills are my weakness. Whenever I get a significant grade, I can get up, but after the effort I have to throttle back. I'm trying to do more threshold intervals to condition myself to recover faster from hard efforts, but it just isn't coming along like I hoped.
You have no idea... I'm a trackie. Hill is a 4-letter word.

I hit the bottom of a rise of any slope, its like there's a parachute behind me as the skinny climber-types dance away up the hill.

I used to ride with a guy that weighed 135 soaking wet. I was 30-35# heavier. I'd end up towing him to the bottom of the hill and watch him ride away. I figured out I'd have to put out double his wattage to go the same speed. ...and there's only so long I can hold 600-ish watts!

I've found there's a balance point of effort and spin. If I get that right, I can get up stuff reasonably quickly.

M
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #28543
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, I bounce between 180-185 and struggle with keeping up with the stick boys too.

I make no excuses though, there's friends of mine that are similar weight that can crush hills, so I know there's hope!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #28544
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

M
Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #28545
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Wink More Strava madness

I went out to one of my favorite trails this morning to see if I could get into the 'Top Ten' placings on the only two Strava segments I haven't been able to do it on. This time I played it smart. Instead of maxing out my speed right from the get-go, I held back a bit so that I wouldn't be dying from exhaustion toward the end. It worked. With an average speed at 27.1 mph, I now have the 6th fastest time out of 455 riders. Last year I wouldn't even have thought it possible to finish in the top 50.

My attempt at a record on the last remaining segment got off to a roaring start, but didn't go as planned. About 2/3rds of the way through, an enormous tree branch fell across the trail ahead me. There was no way around it, so I had to dismount and carry my bike over it, which ruined any possibility of setting a new record. I climbed back on the bike as quickly as possible and finished the run, hoping for a miracle. It was not to be. I'll be back tomorrow to try again.

One of my friends once told me that something like this had happened on a mtb trail as he was about to grab another KOM. I doubted his story because the idea of a huge tree branch falling in front of him at precisely the wrong moment just seemed too implausible to believe. Now I know better.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: