Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 267 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #28621
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You're wasting your breath....he doesn't want to race, just brag about times.
Wasn't that your little todger flapping in the breeze yesterday?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #28622
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Check this link....

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/01...wer-meter.html

This section really applied to my worst day on the brevet...it's exactly how I conserved energy and finished that day:
Using a power meter in a long steady-state race such as a triathlon or long time trial is almost like cheating. When everyone else is fighting a head wind, excitedly going too fast down wind or guessing how hard to push when going up hill, the athlete with a power meter is just rolling along at the prescribed power. He or she will produce the fastest possible ride given the conditions so long as the optimal target power has been determined through training and observed closely during the race. While something similar can be done with heart rate there are some confounding factors such as the excitement of a race, cardiac drift, the acute effect of diet and the slow response of pulse on hills, accelerating out of corners or when passing others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling it as a neccassity, but coming from training with HR and going to PM, I prefer the PM

For instance with my tri bike, my HR actually goes up when I come up out of aero, while my power goes down. Weird, and I don't know why..

Also, I find it better for pacing myself during a triathlons. during my last race (70.3 tri) my HR was jacked for the first :45 of the bike. I stuck to my plan, and the target power I was supposed to keep, but my HR was still bouncing between 155-160. After about :45 I settled in, and my HR came down to the 130's where it was supposed to be. If using HR, I would've been bagging it for almost an hour. I don't know if it was the fact that I was really hyped up about this race, or if I overdid it in the swim that caused that, but it was weird.

Also, my HR does funny crap in the cold temps.
Thanks guys. I get it now, but still won't be buying one

Mainly because I do not race, just ride for fun and exercise. Also because of cost.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #28623
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Rescued my first turtle today.

2/3rds of the way thru the 2hr loop with 3 x 5 @ 10sec CP Jumps in there. Ugh are my legs tired.

M
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #28624
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Wasn't that your little todger flapping in the breeze yesterday?
Nope. Never posted anything to Strava. Feel free to keep on digging.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 04:11 PM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #28625
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Well I competed in my first ever TT this past Tuesday evening. I came in last out of 26 riders but, it was only my 3rd time out on the new whip and I was riding with some real animals! They were really great and I had an absolute blast! I have ridden the same route over the last few days trying to better my time but the winds have not been my friend. I have to say that the bug has definitely bitten me!
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #28626
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,482
What I did last Sunday. Epic, but nothing compared to the 107/12K day coming this Saturday.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #28627
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Thanks guys. I get it now, but still won't be buying one

Mainly because I do not race, just ride for fun and exercise. Also because of cost.
I'm an endurance rider and it helps me manage effort over long distances so I can get home. If I keep my HR out of zone 5, I can ride with far less fatigue.

YMMV, but if you're maxing your HR, you're wasting your time out there.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #28628
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Check this link....

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/01...wer-meter.html

This section really applied to my worst day on the brevet...it's exactly how I conserved energy and finished that day:
Using a power meter in a long steady-state race such as a triathlon or long time trial is almost like cheating. When everyone else is fighting a head wind, excitedly going too fast down wind or guessing how hard to push when going up hill, the athlete with a power meter is just rolling along at the prescribed power. He or she will produce the fastest possible ride given the conditions so long as the optimal target power has been determined through training and observed closely during the race. While something similar can be done with heart rate there are some confounding factors such as the excitement of a race, cardiac drift, the acute effect of diet and the slow response of pulse on hills, accelerating out of corners or when passing others.
When I did the century, a couple weeks ago, right away in the morning, I could tell we had a tail wind helping us. My riding partner and I got passed quite a bit, but I was doing my best to hold back. I didn't want it to feel at all like I was working. I'm sure I conserved energy, but I blew it later on the hills. My legs felt really good and I passed long lines of riders on big hills, but later in the day I couldn't even get my heart rate to come up much. Was that because my legs were dead or my heart? I figured it was because my legs were wasted...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #28629
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
When I did the century, a couple weeks ago, right away in the morning, I could tell we had a tail wind helping us. My riding partner and I got passed quite a bit, but I was doing my best to hold back. I didn't want it to feel at all like I was working. I'm sure I conserved energy, but I blew it later on the hills. My legs felt really good and I passed long lines of riders on big hills, but later in the day I couldn't even get my heart rate to come up much. Was that because my legs were dead or my heart? I figured it was because my legs were wasted...
Dunno - it's been my experience that my HR won't plateau until the ~ 80 mile point of the second day of riding after I've ridden at least 200 miles the day before. At that point, my HR won't go above 145.

Having said that, I'd love to hear of others' experiences with their HR plateauing.

I suspect you hit the hills too hard esp if you were passing others.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #28630
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Dunno - it's been my experience that my HR won't plateau until the ~ 80 mile point of the second day of riding after I've ridden at least 200 miles the day before. At that point, my HR won't go above 145.

Having said that, I'd love to hear of others' experiences with their HR plateauing.

I suspect you hit the hills too hard esp if you were passing others.
I am DEFINITELY not you. I can gas out 15 miles in if I go too hard. A nice looooong warmup seems to keep that from happening, but I've had 40mi rides where I attacked a climb (a short 18%er near my house) just a couple miles in and wan't able to hit Z3 for the rest of the ride. Legs/lungs were done and I limped the rest of the ride.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #28631
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
What I did last Sunday. Epic, but nothing compared to the 107/12K day coming this Saturday.
I was out bicycling on a few those roads last Sunday, on my single-speed, but somehow missing the GPC crowd. We saw the spray-painted directional arrows on the roads, and kept wondering when the peloton would overtake us!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #28632
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

play on that cc commercial

Somehow, I don't think the wimmens would see the logic the same way.

M
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #28633
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I'm an endurance rider and it helps me manage effort over long distances so I can get home. If I keep my HR out of zone 5, I can ride with far less fatigue.

YMMV, but if you're maxing your HR, you're wasting your time out there.

For my age (31) I try to keep my HR around 155. I try not to let it jump up to max unless I am really pushing up a hill or something. For the most part, my rides end up being between 35 minutes to a little over an hour depending on which trail I ride, with an average HR of about 160. I wish it were a little lower, but that will come with more riding (I hope).

I'll not go into a discussion on HR Zones and aerobic vs anaerobic workouts. There are plenty of books and websites that are much more succinct at the description than I.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #28634
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and that's another reason I haven't pushed ahead with one. While I want to know, I don't want to know.

M
It is, as it turns out, a truth telling machine.

I don't like the truth sometimes.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #28635
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

For my age (31) I try to keep my HR around 155. I try not to let it jump up to max unless I am really pushing up a hill or something. For the most part, my rides end up being between 35 minutes to a little over an hour depending on which trail I ride, with an average HR of about 160. I wish it were a little lower, but that will come with more riding (I hope).

I'll not go into a discussion on HR Zones and aerobic vs anaerobic workouts. There are plenty of books and websites that are much more succinct at the description than I.
My riding buddy is consistently 20bpm higher than I am. I'll be riding along in zone 2 at 112bpm and he's in the 130s.

I've been hitting a brick wall of lactic acid at ~150bpm these days.
Having said that, I can stick it at 140-145ish bpm and hold it there for 20min.

Highest I've EVER seen has been 181. That was more'n a few years ago.

The point? HR is individual. What's going all-out for me HR-wise is barely ticking over for some other folks.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: