Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #28696
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Long descents and rain? I would recommend discs.
Me too actually. Certainly NOT carbon clinchers.

M
(and yes, I know you're being sarcastic)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #28697
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Me too actually. Certainly NOT carbon clinchers.

M
(and yes, I know you're being sarcastic)
Did you think I was referring to wheels and not brakes? Oops. The fatality and other bad crashes of the century ride a week ago had me thinking DISC BRAKES might have saved the day.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #28698
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,674
Quote:
Long descents and rain? I would recommend discs.
Yeah, definitely. The Volagi is really interesting to me. They're made in Santa Rosa, about a half hour from my house. I saw a guy riding one on the Grizzly Peak Century last week and he was talking about how he just loves it. He says that he can sail up to a corner and brake with greater finesse, which I thought was interesting. The seat stays on that bike are pretty spectacular, too. He had an earlier model, but was going to trade up for one of the new ones, just moving all his running gear over to the new frame.

It's kind of late in the season for me to swap bikes, given that I'm two months from the Death Ride, but I think a disc brake equipped bike, built more for endurance riding than racing, is going to be in my future. I love my Colnago Ace, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it's kind of like Triumph at the end of the 60s. Great stuff, but something big is going to change here really quickly. Maybe not next year, but likely the year after I'll be looking at a new bike. My decision will be whether to go with another CF bike or look at a custom fab titanium frame like a Seven, Strong or Moots. A guy on my team has a CF/Ti Seven and it's absolutely artwork. On the GPC, I saw a CF/Ti frame that had a latticework Ti toptube with a CF tube inserted inside of it. OMFG.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #28699
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Did you think I was referring to wheels and not brakes? Oops. The fatality and other bad crashes of the century ride a week ago had me thinking DISC BRAKES might have saved the day.
I've never felt like I had one whit of excess braking capacity, whether I was using the dual pivot Ultegras on my Trek or the Colnago double pivots on my Ace.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #28700
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Carbon rims are notoriously bad for braking in wet weather. Carbon clinchers used to essplode on long downhills. Manf got the resin thing right and they don't seem to do that as much any more

M
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #28701
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,097
SRAM & Campy

I have taken the wheelset off the pistola and put them on the Roubaix. The wheelset is built on campy record hubs with a 10 speed cassette. The roubaix is SRAM apex. I noticed the drivetrain makes more noise now. I put the bike on the park stand and adjusted the rear derailleur in attempt to quiet things down. Still makes more noise than it did sram on sram. So my question is this -

Maybe get a new wipperman chain , hoping to quiet things down ?
Get the adapter to allow me to run sram cassette on this wheelset ?

anybody got experience with this ?
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #28702
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,540
Al Fritz, Inventor of the Sting-Ray Bike, Dies at 88

Link

Pop a wheelie of respect to Al -

k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #28703
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Carbon rims are notoriously bad for braking in wet weather. Carbon clinchers used to essplode on long downhills. Manf got the resin thing right and they don't seem to do that as much any more

M
On last year's Levi Leipheimer Gran Fondo, I watched a guy's rear wheel explode on the Myer's Grade descent. It was his rear, which then jammed in the seat stays and sent him off the road. He was probably rolling on the far side of 40mph on that thing.

His comment when we pulled him out of the wild rose bush: "This is the third year in a row I've crashed out!"

No CF wheels for me.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #28704
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Link

I had a green Fastback, exactly like that one in the picture.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #28705
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I had a green Fastback, exactly like that one in the picture.
My parents thought the design was too dangerous - instead, I got a 10-speed called a "Londoneer". Within a few months, I was spotted in the next county over... 25 + miles away. I was maybe 12-13 years old.

Yep, I started cycling at a young age.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #28706
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,040
Quote:

M
By 'carbon rims', do you mean the kind without the metal braking strip on the edge? I test rode a Cervello S5 a few weeks ago that had those. Almost had a heart attack when I tried to use them for the first time at a busy intersection. I don't understand how they can legally sell these to customers.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #28707
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I have taken the wheelset off the pistola and put them on the Roubaix. The wheelset is built on campy record hubs with a 10 speed cassette. The roubaix is SRAM apex. I noticed the drivetrain makes more noise now. I put the bike on the park stand and adjusted the rear derailleur in attempt to quiet things down. Still makes more noise than it did sram on sram. So my question is this -

Maybe get a new wipperman chain , hoping to quiet things down ?
Get the adapter to allow me to run sram cassette on this wheelset ?

anybody got experience with this ?
The spacing between the gears is slightly different Campag vs SRAM/Shimano. If you want quiet, you'll need Campag shifters and rear derailleur.

Try American Classic for cassettes. I know they do a Shimano to Campag spaced cassette but IDK if they go the other way

Alternatively, I *think* Miche still has separate cogs. You may be able to sand down the spacers to get the spacing right. You'd have to do some digging on that one.

M
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #28708
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
By 'carbon rims', do you mean the kind without the metal braking strip on the edge? I test rode a Cervello S5 a few weeks ago that had those. Almost had a heart attack when I tried to use them for the first time at a busy intersection. I don't understand how they can legally sell these to customers.
You get used to it.

M
Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #28709
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Link

Another icon from my youth, gone.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #28710
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Yeah, definitely. The Volagi is really interesting to me. They're made in Santa Rosa, about a half hour from my house. I saw a guy riding one on the Grizzly Peak Century last week and he was talking about how he just loves it. He says that he can sail up to a corner and brake with greater finesse, which I thought was interesting. The seat stays on that bike are pretty spectacular, too. He had an earlier model, but was going to trade up for one of the new ones, just moving all his running gear over to the new frame.

It's kind of late in the season for me to swap bikes, given that I'm two months from the Death Ride, but I think a disc brake equipped bike, built more for endurance riding than racing, is going to be in my future. I love my Colnago Ace, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it's kind of like Triumph at the end of the 60s. Great stuff, but something big is going to change here really quickly. Maybe not next year, but likely the year after I'll be looking at a new bike. My decision will be whether to go with another CF bike or look at a custom fab titanium frame like a Seven, Strong or Moots. A guy on my team has a CF/Ti Seven and it's absolutely artwork. On the GPC, I saw a CF/Ti frame that had a latticework Ti toptube with a CF tube inserted inside of it. OMFG.
Get something the same size as what you're running now and x-fer over the dimensions of what you have. Easy peasy. I swap between 3 different bikes all the time. Contact points at the saddle are essentially the same but the bar height changes between bikes. FTB being highest. TCR is the lowest.

Oh, and if you surf on over to Velocipede Salon, there's a bitchen 'Dean' made by Crumpton that I'd LOVE to have if I had the $

I like the fact that Volagi rubbed Specialized's nose in the dirt with their new line. Not that I have anything major against the big S, but they get kinda heavy-handed with lawsuits and shit.

Something closer to home: Holland exogrid

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: