Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #28726
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
On last year's Levi Leipheimer Gran Fondo, I watched a guy's rear wheel explode on the Myer's Grade descent. It was his rear, which then jammed in the seat stays and sent him off the road. He was probably rolling on the far side of 40mph on that thing.

His comment when we pulled him out of the wild rose bush: "This is the third year in a row I've crashed out!"

No CF wheels for me.
...and now we know why the folks that put Levi's Gran Fondo together used to hate on carbon clinchers.

As far as road calipers are concerned, try a muddy, wet descent in the dark on a CX bike with cantis. You will be begging for DP calipers...coaster brakes...a drogue chute...ANYTHING. My hands hurt just thinking about it. For the type of multi-surface rides we do around here in the fall/winter, a carbon CX wheelset would be suicidal.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #28727
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The spacing between the gears is slightly different Campag vs SRAM/Shimano. If you want quiet, you'll need Campag shifters and rear derailleur.

Try American Classic for cassettes. I know they do a Shimano to Campag spaced cassette but IDK if they go the other way

Alternatively, I *think* Miche still has separate cogs. You may be able to sand down the spacers to get the spacing right. You'd have to do some digging on that one.

M
thanks Gummee ! Waiting on a call back from LBS as to whether or not campy makes an SRAM/Shimano freehub body for the record hubs.

zippy screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:38 AM
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #28728
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I'll give that a try, thanks!
If you're unsure on anything wrenching-related on bicycles, check Park Tools' site for 'how to' videos.

M
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #28729
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
thanks Gummee ! Waiting on a call back from LBS as to wether or not campy makes an SRAM/Shimano freehub body for the record hubs.
I can tell you the answer is going to be 'no.' Just did a check and the biggest wholesaler out there doesn't have anything listed.

If you're running aftermarket hubs, you can typically get both freehub bodies, but like Shimano doesn't make Campag-compatible freehub bodies, Campag doesn't make Shimano-compatible freehub bodies.

M
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #28730
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
If you're unsure on anything wrenching-related on bicycles, check Park Tools' site for 'how to' videos.

M
I have this lying around here somewhere too: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...19&category=49

But you did a nice job explaining what to do.
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #28731
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I have this lying around here somewhere too: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...19&category=49

But you did a nice job explaining what to do.
If it doesn't move and should: lube it up with TriFlow.
If it does move and shouldn't: park tools' site for 'how to' videos. Most typically that's headsets, BBs, and hubs. Used to be you needed special tools for all 3. These days?

M
I've been a bicycle mechanic for going on 20 years now
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #28732
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
If it doesn't move and should: lube it up with TriFlow.
If it does move and shouldn't: park tools' site for 'how to' videos. Most typically that's headsets, BBs, and hubs. Used to be you needed special tools for all 3. These days?

M
I've been a bicycle mechanic for going on 20 years now
I don't mind doing basic stuff, but things involving cables intimidate me, particularly derailleurs, especially if one or both cable ends need to be disconnected. I figure I'll never get the baseline set-up correct again...
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #28733
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I don't mind doing basic stuff, but things involving cables intimidate me, particularly derailleurs, especially if one or both cable ends need to be disconnected. I figure I'll never get the baseline set-up correct again...
The way I learned was the the same way you're learning: take it apart, screw it up, get at the LBS, have em show me what I did wrong, repeat till I got it right.

If you don't mess with set screws, there's a lot of wiggle room in the cable adjustments.

M
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #28734
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
I can tell you the answer is going to be 'no.' Just did a check and the biggest wholesaler out there doesn't have anything listed.

If you're running aftermarket hubs, you can typically get both freehub bodies, but like Shimano doesn't make Campag-compatible freehub bodies, Campag doesn't make Shimano-compatible freehub bodies.

M
dammit

campagnolo used to - part # WH-KX1 for record hubs. Guess I need to keep an eye on ebay. thanks again Gummee
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #28735
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,303
Q-Rings anyone?

I've only met one competitive rider so far who has these on his road bike (a Specialized Venge), and he says he'd never go back to conventional round rings. Anyone here used them?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #28736
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

they called it "bio-pace" back in the day. My first carbon bicycle - 1991 Giant Cadex 980c had them. I remember the first group ride dude looked over and his eyes got huge "hey I think you broke your chainrings" .

I read the design is much improved now. I think Bradley Wiggins uses them or did at one time.?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #28737
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've only met one competitive rider so far who has (RotoR Q Rings) on his road bike (a Specialized Venge), and he says he'd never go back to conventional round rings. Anyone here used them?
I have not used the Q-Rings, but I have used their original RotoR crankset. This used a mechanical offset system to achieve similar leverage variation. Here's a graphic from those:

I run this on a fixed gear mtb (29er), and found I could run 1 tooth less in the back (34x20 vs 34x21). The concept does work for me.

Q Rings change the leverage radius of the ring in a similar pattern to get the same ergonomics, but don't give you the "no pedal at dead spot" that the cranks do. But it looks like they are not making the crankset anymore - just the rings.

OTOH, they do feel strange. At least until you get used to them. The cranks have an odd "smoothness" to them - less like a 2 cylinder engine and more like an electric motor.

I did try different settings on the cranks, and you could really tell you were changing something. I mostly noticed that moving away from the central "sweet spot" made the spin feel "lumpy" or rather less smooth. Running on the fixed gear, I noted a tradeoff between forward power and resisting/slowing. Mid setting was the best.

PS: I did get to "enjoy" biopace on my first mtb. Not the same thing at all.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #28738
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/qu...d-rotor-cranks

interesting read
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #28739
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
they called it "bio-pace" back in the day. My first carbon bicycle - 1991 Giant Cadex 980c had them. I remember the first group ride dude looked over and his eyes got huge "hey I think you broke your chainrings" .

I read the design is much improved now. I think Bradley Wiggins uses them or did at one time.?
I'd never heard of these before, but a bit of research revealed that quite a few serious racers use them. Christoph Sauser and his teammates, for instance.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #28740
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I have not used the Q-Rings, but I have used their original RotoR crankset. This used a mechanical offset system to achieve similar leverage variation. Here's a graphic from those:

I run this on a fixed gear mtb (29er), and found I could run 1 tooth less in the back (34x20 vs 34x21). The concept does work for me.

Q Rings change the leverage radius of the ring in a similar pattern to get the same ergonomics, but don't give you the "no pedal at dead spot" that the cranks do. But it looks like they are not making the crankset anymore - just the rings.

OTOH, they do feel strange. At least until you get used to them. The cranks have an odd "smoothness" to them - less like a 2 cylinder engine and more like an electric motor.

I did try different settings on the cranks, and you could really tell you were changing something. I mostly noticed that moving away from the central "sweet spot" made the spin feel "lumpy" or rather less smooth. Running on the fixed gear, I noted a tradeoff between forward power and resisting/slowing. Mid setting was the best.

PS: I did get to "enjoy" biopace on my first mtb. Not the same thing at all.
The lingering association with the old Biopace system is definitely not helping Q-Ring sales. The Biopace seems to have been an example of taking a sound concept and ruining it through bad execution.

The guy I met who has Q-Rings on his race bike mentioned that it took several rides to get used to them, but once he did it actually felt more natural than traditional round gears. In his experience, the biggest benefit they confer is on hill climbs and sprints. Not many hills to climb around here, but I love them sprints.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: