Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #28741
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
PS: I did get to "enjoy" biopace on my first mtb. Not the same thing at all.
My first mtn bike had bio-pace on it too. Outer 2 rings felt weird. Inner worked for me.

@Aurelius: try em. You may like em, you may not.

M
Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #28742
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My first mtn bike had bio-pace on it too. Outer 2 rings felt weird. Inner worked for me.

M
My 'pedaling in a circle' technique falls apart when my legs get very tired. I'm hoping these Q-Rings can fix that.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #28743
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
My 'pedaling in a circle' technique falls apart when my legs get very tired. I'm hoping these Q-Rings can fix that.
Even the pros pedal squares when they're tired. Nothing mechanical is going to fix something biological.

M
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #28744
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

if you were wondering:

M
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #28745
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
If you spent half the time on your bike as you do ordering shit for it...
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #28746
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:

M
What I remember was trying to get restarted on a slope with a 24t biopace ring driving a 30t cog - was how all your effort seemed to be wasted as you got the crankarm near vertical. Like pushing hard on something that moves way too easy. When I did get moving, the surge in effort seemed to be exactly opposite what I wanted - giving way when I could put in more power. I could feel the surges in mid range in the same way, but since I wasn't putting out as much power then...... Couldn't tell in high ring.

RotoRs, even adjusted away from the sweet spot, do not give that effect.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #28747
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Don't forget telling us all about it....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #28748
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The air must be very thin where you live. Aside from the pedals which it didn't come with, the bike is bone stock.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #28749
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Yeah, we have some mountains here. Just busting balls, you're making some bike shop's year(s). At least you're supporting the industry!

Does anyone have experience in starting/owning a bike shop, or know of anyone who's done it? I've only read the negatives, and how hard it really is to succeed with one. I'm moving to a small, artsy and health-conscious town up North that could really use a bike shop... an area packed full of outdoorsy types, with epic MTB trails all around. Little voice in my head is saying 'there's a reason there isn't a bike shop in town'. I have a business admin degree, sales experience and lots of experience with how a small business runs day to day. I'd desire to simply make a living doing something I care about, which is, getting people on bikes. Not looking to get rich and am under no illusion this will be a remotely easy task either. Any good reading on the topic?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #28750
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Yeah, we have some mountains here. Just busting balls, you're making some bike shop's year(s). At least you're supporting the industry!

Does anyone have experience in starting/owning a bike shop, or know of anyone who's done it? I've only read the negatives, and how hard it really is to succeed with one. I'm moving to a small, artsy and health-conscious town up North that could really use a bike shop... an area packed full of outdoorsy types, with epic MTB trails all around. Little voice in my head is saying 'there's a reason there isn't a bike shop in town'. I have a business admin degree, sales experience and lots of experience with how a small business runs day to day. I'd desire to simply make a living doing something I care about, which is, getting people on bikes. Not looking to get rich and am under no illusion this will be a remotely easy task either. Any good reading on the topic?
Bicycle Retailer and Industry News (BRAIN) is a good bet.

How's this? Start small. Start with the smallest square footage you can rent and start with just wrenching and accessories. Special order stuff on a pre-paid basis. Be prepared to suffer days/weeks of no work till word gets around. If you're a member of RBR, PM PlatyPius for info. He did what you're thinking of doing.

You won't be able to order from QBP or most of the other wholesalers till you have an ad in the yellow pages, have a storefront, a shop, a display area, and send em pics. They don't want 'amateurs' ordering from em. AMHIK

Its a tough row to hoe and you'd better love it or you'll have 'issues.'

Old joke: how do you make a small fortune in the bicycle business? Start with a large fortune.

M
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #28751
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Old joke: how do you make a small fortune in the bicycle business? Start with a large fortune.

M
no no... that's sailmaking
"how do you make a million in sailmaking? start with two million"

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #28752
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Bicycle Retailer and Industry News (BRAIN) is a good bet.

You won't be able to order from QBP or most of the other wholesalers till you have an ad in the yellow pages, have a storefront, a shop, a display area, and send em pics. They don't want 'amateurs' ordering from em. AMHIK

M
That's just for Quality...... BTI, J&B and Merry sales are more relaxed.

Quality is more of a one stop shop though.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #28753
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Good stuff over at BRAIN, thanks. Part of the inspiration for this is a row of small commerical spaces in a blossoming area of this town. Think breweries, pubs, rustic-type coffee shops and you get the idea.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #28754
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Does anyone have experience in starting/owning a bike shop, or know of anyone who's done it? I've only read the negatives, and how hard it really is to succeed with one. I'm moving to a small, artsy and health-conscious town up North that could really use a bike shop... an area packed full of outdoorsy types, with epic MTB trails all around. Little voice in my head is saying 'there's a reason there isn't a bike shop in town'. I have a business admin degree, sales experience and lots of experience with how a small business runs day to day.
?
I know two people who tried to make a go of it locally. One lasted about a year. The other maybe 18 months. Make sure you or your number one employee is a good mechanic. I don't mean just turning wrenches on road bikes. Competency on fixing MTBs is key, because if ridden properly, they break more often. Pay attention to that voice in your head.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #28755
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A friend of mine quit his stressful job in IT and opened his own bike shop two years ago. He seems to be doing quite well with it, from what I can see. His store usually has as many customers in it as the well established and much better financed chain stores in the area, although much of that could be due to its excellent location. The big downside is that he has almost no time to himself, since the shop is open seven days a week from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM.

One thing he did tell me that I found interesting was that he makes very little profit on bike sales: the big money is in parts, which he typically makes 70% profit on. I've been trying to interest him in capitalizing on that by selling parts on line, but so far he hasn't shown any interest.

Another possible downside is that none of the major manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.) seem interested in doing business with small shops. In the case of Trek and Specialized, it required a major financial commitment which he wasn't prepared to make. In reality that may not matter much, because Trek & Specialized have saturated the area with dealerships, and it's questionable whether trying to sell what everyone else in the area is already selling is a good business strategy. Many customers go to him precisely because they're NOT interested in any of the big brands.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: