User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 513 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #28831
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,833
No argument here. I had mostly 36H low flange wheels. Got a pair of 32's and thought that was risky-light.

I've broken one spoke on my Fuse, stockers on the Roubaix. At the rear. LBS doesn't stock the spokes and Specialized is the only source I've found. Hopefully I can pare off some flab and take a good bit of stress off the fancy wheels. I have no idea how few spokes there are on those funky wheels of mine. I know the front is radial as is the static side of the rear. Drive is a 2X.

BiTD, our team sat one Sunday afternoon and laced up about a dozen pairs of spare wheels for racing and a bunch of radial fronts. I had built a pair of TT wheels for myself out of close-out parts. Those wheels cost me more for spokes and nipples than the rims, tires and hubs. $5 hubs are fun. Sure they were crappy off-brand, and French, but $5 new!

Ever jump a double railroad track and just as you're airborne you remember you have two broken spokes in your front wheel?
This is that point where you go Zen-weightless for the landing.

Didn't crash, didn't die.

Had the same exact feeling the first time I jumped the Roubaix, over a downed limb. Just as I was airborne it dawned on me how few spokes these wheels have and how much heavier I am than my salad days, Back in the Day.

That exercise may have contributed to the spoke failure.
Bottom line is that someday I'll have put enough together to buy a second set of wheels and they will be 2X 28H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its Thursday and I feel like arguing.

Back 'in the day' I had buddies that would race on 35-spoke wheels. I've ridden on broken spokes for a while after breaking a spoke mid-ride. Tension the opposite spokes and keep going.

Try that on your low spoke count wheels!

I've had to re-lace my rear Ritchey Pro Aero wheel. Broke too many spokes. That's a 28-hole rear wheel!

I'm watching the uphill TT at the Giro. Ugh. That don't look like any kind of fun.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #28832
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,824
I cleaned up those hubs. They're still in the graph paper you sent em in!

Haven't done anything else with em yet.

M
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #28833
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
On the subject of wheels, i am running a set of 24h single cross lace rims, i have close to 1500 mi on them and they are still true as they were the day i put em on, havent touched a spoke nipple yet...

And i am 6'2" 250#
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #28834
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
On the subject of wheels, i am running a set of 24h single cross lace rims, i have close to 1500 mi on them and they are still true as they were the day i put em on, havent touched a spoke nipple yet...

And i am 6'2" 250#
1500 whole miles?! WOW! Get out! No effing way!

When those same wheels have been ridden for a decade or two, come back and talk about em.

M
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #28835
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,842
Performance cycling past 50......

John Hughes seems to be fairly well-regarded in cycling circles. My riding buddy was a client of John's so we met him for breakfast on the day before our CO 1200 event last year.

Despite my riding buddy not finishing the event, John seems to offer pretty solid advice. Truth be known, my buddy is a lot stronger rider than me and I think a lot of that can be attributed to John. (I'm more strategic, plan better and can tolerate a lack of sleep a lot better than my buddy - a critical difference.)

Anyway, John sells articles via the RoadBikeRider site where he offers insight and advice. I've purchased one or two in the past - pretty good advice on the cheap. His latest one, Performance Cycling Past 50 - Systematic, Focused Training to Improve Your Performance, might be of interest for some of y'all.

Standard disclaimer applies - I have no financial interest, gain nothing, etc from John's work.

Oh yeah - he has a pretty extensive cycling resume:

2009, 1998, 1997, 1995 Crew Chief, Race Across AMerica
2004 Rocky Mountain 1200 km & 8,100 meters climbing.
1999, 1995, 1991, 1987, 1979 Paris-Brest-Paris: 1200 km & 10,000 meters climbing.
1996 Race Across AMerica, 11d 15h
1995 Course record Oregon N-S, 293 miles & 10,000’ of climbing in 14 hours 23 minutes, averaging 20.3 mph.
1994 Course record Reno to Tucson, 850 miles & 23,000’ of climbing in 54 hours 17 minutes
1993 Furnace Creek 508, 1st place in 32 hours 22 minutes, two-time winner, 512 miles & 30,000’ of climbing.
1992 Course Record 1st place, Boston-Montreal-Boston, 750 miles & 35,000’ in 52 hours 35 minutes.
1989 Course Record 1st place, RAAM Open West, 508 miles & 30,000’ of climbing in 30 hours 54 minutes.
Personal
1996 Certified Sport Coach, USA Cycling
1995 Certified Personal Trainer, National Strength and Conditioning Association
1983 MBA, University of California, Berkeley
1976 MA, Stanford University
1971 BA, Stanford University
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #28836
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
1500 whole miles?! WOW! Get out! No effing way!

When those same wheels have been ridden for a decade or two, come back and talk about em.

M
Well the wheels before these were 36h double cross and i had to true them every 100 mi.... So i find them quite good compared to those....
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #28837
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Last week I saw a record number of these on the trails: a total of 4. Add that number to the others I've seen in the last two years, and it brings the total to 6.

Are they so rare because they suck for general riding duty?
Of course. It's a tri-bike. The seat to bars relationship looks like pure pain and I'm sure that rear wheel makes riding in big crosswinds a real treat.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #28838
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Of course. It's a tri-bike. The seat to bars relationship looks like pure pain and I'm sure that rear wheel makes riding in big crosswinds a real treat.
I tried out a Specialized Shiv TT bike on the trainer. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as I had assumed. In fact, it's oddly relaxing once you get used to resting your upper body on the arm pads. Neck pain from having to tilt your head all the way back might be an issue, though. That closed in rear wheel would be a serious problem in crosswinds, but you're not obligated to use a wheel like that.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #28839
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I rode a Giant Trinity, as an everyday ride. My bullhorns were about the same comfort as brake hoods. I have to use aerobars, because of elbow/wrist issues. It just depends on your flexibility and stack height. A TT bike doesn't have to be set up slammed, in the frontend. In general, my Trinity was worth an increase of ~5mph at the same effort, over my road bike.
A 5mph increase is HUGE. Even in the drops with my elbows bent, I can't seem to break through the 35 mph barrier on a flat road. Are you saying I could hit ~40 mph on a TT bike? That would be friggin' insane!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #28840
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,833
I had an aero-bar set up for TT for my Pinarello back in the day. A composite disc out back and radial 24 spoke radial front rolling on silk sew-ups.
That set up was fast. every mile I rode it the next mile was faster.
I sold off the parts after I crashed at above 40 during a loop TT our team did. I came out of the protection of some trees and got hit by a crosswind as I was putting my waterbottle away. One hand only on the aerobars equals zero torque to resist the big wind that hit me. Blew me into the square curb, and up it. As I topped the curb I left the ground and rotated about my body flying along at too damned fast. Just caught about a 3 inch tree with the left drop bar, that sent me cartwheeling into the weeds.
Bent the front brake pivot bolt on the downtube. The grounds were an office park with golf course intermingled. I slid to a muddy stop just off the soaking wet sod. My record attempt done.

Quote:
A 5mph increase is HUGE. Even in the drops with my elbows bent, I can't seem to break through the 35 mph barrier on a flat road. Are you saying I could hit ~40 mph on a TT bike? That would be friggin' insane!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #28841
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I had an aero-bar set up for TT for my Pinarello back in the day. A composite disc out back and radial 24 spoke radial front rolling on silk sew-ups.
Why do they only close up the rear wheel and not the front as well?

Quote:
That set up was fast. every mile I rode it the next mile was faster.
I sold off the parts after I crashed at above 40 during a loop TT our team did. I came out of the protection of some trees and got hit by a crosswind as I was putting my waterbottle away. One hand only on the aerobars equals zero torque to resist the big wind that hit me. Blew me into the square curb, and up it. As I topped the curb I left the ground and rotated about my body flying along at too damned fast. Just caught about a 3 inch tree with the left drop bar, that sent me cartwheeling into the weeds.
Bent the front brake pivot bolt on the downtube. The grounds were an office park with golf course intermingled. I slid to a muddy stop just off the soaking wet sod. My record attempt done.
Maybe I shouldn't book a test ride on one just yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #28842
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:

You want TWO sails on that boat?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #28843
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
You want TWO sails on that boat?
Don't boats go faster that way?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #28844
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Don't boats go faster that way?
Do they attach that sail to the rudder?

http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/aero-wheels/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #28845
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
It's all about the engine. We have some guys that hit 40+mph, with a tailwind. I don't know if they can do it on a static day and flat land, though. With a tailwind, I've sustained 35mph over ~5mi. I couldn't break 40. YMMV.

Quote:
Stability. You simply couldn't stay on the road, and in crosswinds. But, a rear disc isn't as unstable as you'd think. I went with an 808 rear and 404 front, for versatility. A rear disc is definitely faster, by a substantial margin, though.

Quote:
Yes you should. You owe it to yourself, because "to each their own". Properly set up, these bikes can be comfortable. Ironman competitors compete at 112mi, in events. Many of them train at 140-170mi distances, using a tri bike.

Also, you want to test ride the Shiv; not the Shiv TT. The Shiv is the Ironman, non-UCI legal bike. It's taller in stack height and is much more comfortable. The Shiv TT is slammed and is meant more for short-course competition.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: