Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 512 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #29071
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
What would be the equivalent bicycle to say a tuono or KTM SM? I consider my current road bike, a look 566, to be the VFR of the pedaling world. But, even with it being way softer than the race bikes some of ya'll are putting tons of miles on, it still is too aggressive for me to ride slowly. I'm looking for something I can take to the park and ride at kids pace on, and as they get older, be able to pick up the pace to near road bike speeds as I hope to encourage my boy to get in to riding road bikes. Does anything exist, or do I just go for the harley equivalent pedal bike for now?

And as a side thought, what bike progression is there to get a youth in to road riding? My son had the typical first bike, followed up by a BMX style bike, which he has outgrown now as well. I'm not sure what to buy him next other than the sporting good store hybrid/poser mountain bike offerings.
Look at monster cross bikes as well. I have a Gravity Zilla from BikesDirect.com that is comfortable geometry, low geared, and squishy tired yet will go near road bike speeds.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #29072
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
my hybrid fits that bill nicely.

its a 2010 Specialized Globe Vienna 3, with a few mods to suit me.

with 700x32 tires, it can traverse quite a bit of dirt as long as its not soft mud or deep sand, its quite comfortable on bike paths etc, I can puttz along at as slow a speed as I care, or I can lay down a 15 mile ride in about an hour if I'm motivated. it has sufficient gearing to climb most any non-insane hill. with fenders, I don't care if the road is wet, and the rack + rack bag rocks for carrying the sorts of stuff I might want to carry. I'm loving the BMX style 'pin platform' pedals I put on it, big wide foot platform for my 12-E's and totally nonslip.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #29073
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
That's a totally awesome bike, man. I really love it. I believe you can get side bags for that rack, too, right?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #29074
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
That's a totally awesome bike, man. I really love it. I believe you can get side bags for that rack, too, right?
sure, or grocery baskets for that urban shopper look.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #29075
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Well, I'm wired a skeptic, sorry.
Always a good thing. But to be consistent, you should apply that same skepticism to beliefs that you currently hold as well.

Quote:
And, these wheels are going to be better than about any generic, "aero-profiled" wheel. The OEM stuff just needs to look aero.
Specialized spent five years in development to make the Venge as aerodynamically efficient as possible, knowing that it would be tested against aero-bikes from other manufacturers. I don't think they wouldn't have gone to all that trouble and then slapped on a set of wheels that only look aerodynamic, but really aren't.

Quote:
There's no doubt those wheels really up the badass-ed-ness of your bike. You gotta' get a set, now.
Personally I think it looks weird with those two big 'dunuts' on either end. The funky aesthetics are definitely not a reason for me to buy them.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #29076
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
The best way to learn the right way to ride is still riding with those who know. And that is still hard to find as it ever was. You have to find that one shop, or one person whose focus is healthy habits over ultimate performance.

I found her. My special lady friend is Outside Magazine's authority on carrying beer on your bicycle.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...With-Beer.html
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #29077
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. Look, if you want to spend $10k on a rig, have at it. Many people put most of their energy into the bike equipment, and invest very little in learning correct form & fit, basically the things that will make you fast. I have issues with shops selling $10k rigs & retul fit to people who don't understand the basics.
If someone does spend a lot of money on a bike, it's not an indication that they're not going to invest the time and energy learning how to use it. To the contrary. Having made a large financial investment would only be additional inducement to make it pay off.

Quote:
Again, just my opinion but 808's won't make you a faster rider.
But they will allow me to ride faster, longer, and more efficiently. And should I decide to buy them, you can bet that I'll be riding that much harder in order to capitalize on the performance benefits they confer.

Quote:
They won't allow you to endure pain any more than my GP4's, they will drain your wallet & convey a high level of Fredness.
'Fredness'? Your continued use of that term suggests that you think others ought to be concerned about how they appear to you. Do you really imagine that anyone loses a moment's sleep wondering whether you'll approve of the way they spend their money or the level of equipment you think is appropriate for them? If these things really bother you on some deep emotional level, I would say the problem here is yours, not theirs.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #29078
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
And now for something completely different...

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #29079
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #29080
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Wed nite worlds tonite. If my 96 Allez was built, I'd ride that just to eff with people.

Its not the bike

M
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #29081
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Finally found some time to ride last night - but I'm having real trouble with motivation. Ever since I got clipped by a cager at 35mph I've been a little nervous. Plus my girlfriend is out of the country right now, so if I get really hurt, I'm kind of upgefuct.

So it was kind of an achievement to get out & do a measly 12 miles at a 17mph pace.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #29082
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,297
yep motivation is down. All week 70% chance of rain with afternoon ( prime riding time) thunderstorms for many days now.

But I did dust off the TDF trainer and rode the Col Du Tourmalet , The Hautacam and the Pla d'Adet this week instead. Grueling long climbs. The street views are awesome !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #29083
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
I'm on a rest week preparing for a 207 mile ride this Saturday. My club is organizing the double century challenge and I'm part of the planning committee (aka peanut gallery). We are stoked that this is only our second year hosting this ride and we've doubled the entries as well as tripled the scholarships awarded.

http://doubledown2thebeach.com/
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #29084
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I'm on a rest week preparing for a 207 mile ride this Saturday. My club is organizing the double century challenge and I'm part of the planning committee (aka peanut gallery). We are stoked that this is only our second year hosting this ride and we've doubled the entries as well as tripled the scholarships awarded.

http://doubledown2thebeach.com/
Damn Ridge! You and K7 need to get together and compare notes. 207mi? NOT km?!

Strava lawsuit dismissed

M
Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #29085
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 570
[/Quote]'Fredness'? Your continued use of that term suggests that you think others ought to be concerned about how they appear to you. Do you really imagine that anyone loses a moment's sleep wondering whether you'll approve of the way they spend their money or the level of equipment you think is appropriate for them? If these things really bother you on some deep emotional level, I would say the problem here is yours, not theirs.[/QUOTE]

You've clearly missed the point, probably because you're too close. It's never about the equipment, especially as a novice cyclist. Every time I lined up at a race and saw Shaklee, L.A. Sheriff's, Montgomery Subaru, etc; I thought I'd be lucky to not get pulled, or at best a back of the field finish & a wasted entry fee. I never thought some bit of equipment would change my position in the race on my cobbed together rig. And that's what most of us rode, cobbed together, albeit solid rigs, but defienetly franken bikes.

Results were accomplished by hard, smart training; nothing else. You seem obsessed with holding top speed, or KOM awards, or some strange competitive drive that never results in actually going wheel to wheel.

I don't care what you buy, gold plated 808's? Go for it. But when people post on a forum, you subject yourself to divergent opinions from people who may have decades of experience to support their positions. You seem like a good guy, caught up in the equipment arms race. Try riding you bike without your GPS, just ride it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: