Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 517 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #29221
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
You ever see Carson Blume up there? He's a bicycle photographer and also has an F800GS he carries his MTB on. If you see him, tell him I said Hi. We're connected on Strava. He's local for a bit, but is heading to CO this summer to shoot pictures and ride his bicycles.

And nice ride. Those roads up there are pretty wonderful.
Yep, I know Carson. I've ridden with him a few times, strong rider and a lot of fun to have in the group. I'm bummed that he's moving back to Santa Barbara. He was kind enough to chase around a few of the local club rides and do the motophoto thing. A few examples of his stuff (all photos courtesy of and copyrighted by Carson Blume Photography):

Yours truly in this one

This is my wallpaper on the desktop @ work

Next time I see him and Sarah, I'll tell them you said hi.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #29222
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
The Garmin 810 with the usual bike stuff runs about $700 from REI, likely cheaper elsewhere. Though I wonder what happens when I want to add a powermeter device. If that has to be added to the phone alone.
I do like a multi-tasker over several specialized devices.
I use the Edge510 and only used about 65% of battery life with this past Saturday's double century. It was constantly on and recording HR, speed, cadence, GPS and my powertap FWIW. I've not tried using the mapping abilities of it yet, but that's most likely due to human error at the interface point (ie... I ain't figured out how just yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Great job Ridge, over 200 miles in a pop wow!!, Were you able to finish with the time you were shooting for?

Yeah, I was aiming for about 10 hours moving time. I would have liked to made the stops a bit less frequent and more efficient but there's only so many way to herd cats (racer types) away from food and pee breaks. Any time you get 20-30 individuals all running on their own motivations, it becomes difficult to control timing. I finished where I wanted and with the guys that I knew would be there in the end.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #29223
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Damn! Go Ridge! Go Kbasa!

Well done to both of you.

I snuck in a 4 hour, 62miler on Sunday by riding from my house to a friends' for their son's 2nd bday. My wife drove down with our little one and some fresh clothes for me.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #29224
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Hey Nedster, I spent a few months in 1981 inSanta Maria, and Oceano. Got me and my 74 Trident out there on a moving truck. I spent a lot of time at a bar called The Peanut Barrel right in Pismo. Had some serious laughs and played a ton of pool. Do you remember that place?
Never been there. I live way up at the far northern end of the state. I've done some work in that area, though. There's awesome cycling in and around San Luis Obispo. Next time, I'm taking the bike!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #29225
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Yep, I know Carson. I've ridden with him a few times, strong rider and a lot of fun to have in the group. I'm bummed that he's moving back to Santa Barbara. He was kind enough to chase around a few of the local club rides and do the motophoto thing. A few examples of his stuff (all photos courtesy of and copyrighted by Carson Blume Photography):

Next time I see him and Sarah, I'll tell them you said hi.
On the last couple Levi's Gran Fondos, he's ridden with my buddy Colby. He shot a pic of me that I really like and was using as my FB avatar for a while. He's got a pretty infectious laugh, to say the least.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #29226
kbasa
Colnago!

And holy crap, Ridge. What a gut check that must have been.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #29227
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
And holy crap, Ridge. What a gut check that must have been.
The real gut check was about mile 180. Every time I would pull through to the front, both of my inner thighs would start locking down. They felt like someone was cranking down the tendons like a piano string being tightened. I could feel it progressively coming on and would promptly finish my pull, stand up to ease the tension and roll to the back. Only once did it get so bad I thought I would not pick up the end of the train, but standing seemed to ease it "just" enough. Amazingly still had enough to attempt a "sprint" finish for my three nephews waiting at the line. Paid for that later on with the random bent leg cramps, but I'd do it just the same for their grins.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #29228
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The real gut check was about mile 180. Every time I would pull through to the front, both of my inner thighs would start locking down. They felt like someone was cranking down the tendons like a piano string being tightened. I could feel it progressively coming on and would promptly finish my pull, stand up to ease the tension and roll to the back. Only once did it get so bad I thought I would not pick up the end of the train, but standing seemed to ease it "just" enough. Amazingly still had enough to attempt a "sprint" finish for my three nephews waiting at the line. Paid for that later on with the random bent leg cramps, but I'd do it just the same for their grins.
I get that when I'm not hydrated enough. I have no idea how guys like you and Gerry stay hydrated on these really long rides. I usually consume about 50 ounces of Nuun/CytoMax every two hours or so.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #29229
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
I have no idea how guys like you and Gerry stay hydrated on these really long rides.
I can't speak highly enough about this company and their product. Found them completely by chance when checking out XXCmag.com one day but have been a loyal customer ever since.

http://www.tailwindnutrition.com/
Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #29230
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
I can't speak highly enough about this company and their product. Found them completely by chance when checking out XXCmag.com one day but have been a loyal customer ever since.

I might have to try some of their sampler packs. I've been using Skratch Labs drink mix and liking it. It's nice to not have to carry as much regular food as compared to when I'm drinking nuun. However, my inner miser winces a bit ever time I buy another package of the mix. Tailwind is considerably more affordable.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #29231
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,853
Quote:
I get that when I'm not hydrated enough. I have no idea how guys like you and Gerry stay hydrated on these really long rides. I usually consume about 50 ounces of Nuun/CytoMax every two hours or so.
Pheh - don't mistake me for Ridge...or even yourself. I have to pace myself for the distance/multiday rides which is a different objective that trying to set a personal best for 200 miles.

For me, 3-5 fig newtons an hour, Nunns with water in one bottle, straight water in the other, as much as I can jam in my mouth at the controls and then head out again at a 15-17 mph pace.

I'm the tortoise. I get there at my own pace and take it as it comes. My only objective is to finish under the max time limit.

Having said that, I've toyed with the idea of a 24-hour race. I'm not gonna win or anything like that but I'd be interested to see how close to 400 miles in a day I can come. My max is around 256-257 or so in 18:26 this year. (It was supposed to be a 400-km ride - we rode some bonus miles when we missed a turn. I wasn't running a GPS so it's a best guess.)

I think, on the right course, the right weather, with a little support, I might easily break 300-330 miles. If I were to actually train with the input of a real coach, who knows.....400 miles would be a huge accomplishment for me....or ...most of us mere mortals.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #29232
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
This thread is making me really self conscious given my longest ride this year was about 25 miles

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #29233
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
I've been figuring out my nutrition needs and hydration, by riding in the mornings when it is cool and afternoons when it is hot. I've found I blow through a 20 oz bottle in about 45 minutes on average. About 30 if it is hot. At over 100 F, I burn through 2 liters in under an hour of running. So I figure less than that 2L riding in heat like that.
I use NUUN for electrolytes in one bottle every two bottles of water. I prefer carrying the tablets to the mix envelopes for that Skratch stuff, but I only tried one packet of it on my Beach ride. I didn't like having to mess with the packaging.
I carry NUUN tablets and aspirin in a zip-lock snack bag. Very easy to deal with. I also only mix one tablet to 20 or so ounces of water.
Another bag has Chomps in it. Then I carry two packets of GU Rocktaine, and a Cliff bar should do me for about 70 miles or more.
I'm not riding real fast and definitely not looking to make any speed trials. I just go out to set my pace and burn up some fat. I do stop and find food if need be on longer rides. I am after all riding around Orange County California. Not exactly the hinterlands.
I've found I'm more hydrated in the mornings on weekends than after work during the week. That tells me what I already know, I'm not drinking enough of my water at work.

Back when I raced I always carried one bottle of water and one of electrolyte replacement. Then I'd have some bar thing to eat.
I think we had Powerbars back then, (I never liked those things). Bananas, fig newtons and baked potatoes were about all we ate on longer rides.
The spuds were winter "treats".
We'd tried orange slices and apples too. Messy.
I always preferred things that were not too sweet, or wet. Still the same, but now we have these packets of stuff.
I rarely use the Rocktaine stuff it is expensive and I save it for emergencies. Works like magic as long as you down about 20 oz of water along with it. For me it seems good for about 15 miles.
On Saturday on the way to the beach I stopped and re-filled a bottle with water adding the Skratch to that.
Once at the beach I ate two chomps and drank a bottle of water re-filled both. I stopped at mile 40 or so and refilled one bottle that was down, had another chomp and headed to the park I think, then one or two more chomps at the park, a bottle of water, re-fill both bottles and ride home. I got home with half of one bottle left.
56 miles.
As I gain fitness I've found I require more electrolyte replacement. I think that is because I can push harder and work harder.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #29234
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #29235
kbasa
Colnago!

I carry one bottle with CytoMax, since it has calories, Nuun in the other. I'm using 25oz. Camelbak bottles that are insulated. Some of our SAG stops have ice, so I top up with ice.

I also try to eat foods that are like the food I normally eat. That means no extruded stuff with a long list of ingredients. I'll pack a couple PBJs, quartered, into my jersey, along with stuff like Fig Newtons, red vines and the like. For bars, I like the Naturally bars, which are made of stuff I can identify, Kind bars, and some other ones I forget the name off. Mostly, though, I want real food that won't upset my stomach.

For hydration, I'm an absolute fiend about it. I don't drink during the week, save a beer on Thursday night and post ride, and focus on water ingestion all the time. It's like I'm contantly monitoring my hydration by paying attention to color of my pee, whether my skin tents and the like. I've found that if I'm dehydrated, my performance is really poor.

I try to consume a couple hundred calories an hour, plus whatever I can cram in my mouth at a SAG stop. Ours typically have PBJs, orange slices, watermelon, potato chips, pretzels, hydration stuff like CytoMax, etc., Pringles, V8 (huge amounts of potassium and sodium!) and those little Cokes. Let me tell you that if they're iced, I roll them around on the back of my neck on a hot day and cool off.

That said, I'm always looking for better ways to hydrate, so I'm always watching to see what other folks are using. Some guys on my team swear by perpetuum, though I haven't tried it. I figure that with 5 weeks to Death Ride, it's too late to change much.

But next year, if I pursue the California Triple Crown (three doubles!), I'm going to need to make sure I'm using best practices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: