User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #29281
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,407
I started using tire liners back when I was a messenger in the late 80s early 90s.
The have been a staple on all my functional bikes since.

Functional vs sporty bikes.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #29282
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
With the new puncture resistant tires, I havent had a flat in a long time. Currently running Vittorria Randonneur Hypers, have run them over lots of hard pack dirt as well as pavement and gravel, haven't had a thorn or glass flat in a long time. my son runs gatorbacks on his skinny tire bike, same thing.

i ran tire liners for awhile in the 90s, never much cared for them, they are kinda heavy, and they are hard to get exactly straight, so they can leave your tires a little off balance. maybe they've improved them? these had a black and colored layer, of different materials, you installed them black layer out. I was using them on 26" stumpjumper and crossroads tires.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #29283
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
It's like they've never heard of user testing or thought about how people are actually going to use it. I think that at one point, a guy from Garmin was a regular on the GPS forum here for a while.
The UI on their PC software is absolutely awful. Makes Notes look sophisticated... As an ex product manager/owner/architect, I'd love to have a chat with the Garmin guy and ask them what the hell they were thinking
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #29284
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I started using tire liners back when I was a messenger in the late 80s early 90s.
The have been a staple on all my functional bikes since.

Functional vs sporty bikes.
Specialized Armadillos or Conti Gatorskins should be in your vocabulary. Both really tough tires that ride 'acceptably.'

They even make a GP 4-Seasons for training.

Haymarket's Wed ride is tonite.

M
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #29285
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The UI on their PC software is absolutely awful. Makes Notes look sophisticated... As an ex product manager/owner/architect, I'd love to have a chat with the Garmin guy and ask them what the hell they were thinking
The guys actually writing the stuff are probably as frustrated as you are. I bet its the brass that make it impossible for em to do anything to fix things.

M
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #29286
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,825
I've been on the Armadillos since slicing my first tire on the Roubaix. I've only killed one by slicing it open on a ride.
I've pulled a number of tubes fillers out though. I'd really like to find Clement latex tubes again. Those things rocked back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Specialized Armadillos or Conti Gatorskins should be in your vocabulary. Both really tough tires that ride 'acceptably.'

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #29287
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M

I'll second the GP4000-4 season. I've switched to those in a 25C exclusively for training and racing. Paired with Vittoria latex tubes and the ride is immensely improved over butyl rubber tube/tire combos. 275g combined for any weight weenies and I can typically get 3-5,000 miles out of a single set. Could probably get more if I rotated the front and rear, but I'm lazy that way... I just change them both once per year and don't worry with 'em unless something drastic happens.

Only had one blowout and that was not preventable from a shard of metal shredding my sidewall on a downhill. No way to react in time to avoid. Complete tube egress from the rear tire and wrapped around the hub/skewer... luckily I was only a couple miles from home when it happened.

Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #29288
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
When you look at Google Maps and how easy it is to play with routing and then you look at Garmin's reliance on Waypoints, it's clear that the nav model has moved on and Garmin has missed the boat.

I should be able to put an origination point and a terminus in place by clicking on a map, then dragging the "out" and "back" legs to suit my desires. For bike folks, it would be great it it modeled elevation and was able to forecast a ride time for me based on the stuff I've loaded up into Garmin Connect. The data's there to do it - "on a typical 6% grade, kbasa is typically able to go 10mph", "on a flat section of up to 2% grade, kbasa is typically able to go 22mph". The data is there, but they're too stuck at the micro level to see this as a potential big data exercise.

You know why we have Strava, RidewithGPS and Maymyride? Because the Garmin products are so kludgy.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #29289
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

cycling's top 10 influencers... part 1

M
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #29290
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,816
from Gummee's link...

I've thrown away a ton of possessions over the years and have very few regrets but throwing away my 1977 Detto Pietro's is one that I'll always regret. Classic shoes.

k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #29291
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I've thrown away a ton of possessions over the years and have very few regrets but throwing away my 1977 Detto Pietro's is one that I'll always regret. Classic shoes.

I started riding right after plastic soles were innerduced. Still had clips and straps for my first few years.

Then I went big time and got me some 7401 D/A 'Look style' pedals. Haven't looked back since!

I recently 'found' those first shoes: Nike CC-Xes and tossed em.

M
Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #29292
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Ugh. 92, humid as hell, windy with scattered rain moving in to the area. Last two days were rain out(sorry, not riding during active thunderstorms), next four days, I'm on call, so have to be somewhat available. Isn't there a rule about this.....

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #29293
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,950
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #29294
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
When you look at Google Maps and how easy it is to play with routing and then you look at Garmin's reliance on Waypoints, it's clear that the nav model has moved on and Garmin has missed the boat.

I should be able to put an origination point and a terminus in place by clicking on a map, then dragging the "out" and "back" legs to suit my desires. For bike folks, it would be great it it modeled elevation and was able to forecast a ride time for me based on the stuff I've loaded up into Garmin Connect. The data's there to do it - "on a typical 6% grade, kbasa is typically able to go 10mph", "on a flat section of up to 2% grade, kbasa is typically able to go 22mph". The data is there, but they're too stuck at the micro level to see this as a potential big data exercise.

You know why we have Strava, RidewithGPS and Maymyride? Because the Garmin products are so kludgy.
I have a copy of Streets and Trips from over 15 years ago that has a better UI than BaseCamp which is Garmin's current PC mapping application. I simply cannot understand how they persist with the terrible UI that BaseCamp has - it's awful (modal dialogs and no ability to drag and drop for example).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #29295
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Not me by the way
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: