Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #29311
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Today I'm still recovering from yesterdays efforts. My back is not impressed with my riding.
Couch and ice.
Mr Head: Ever consider a recumbent? Could solve the back pain.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #29312
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,729
Back pain is due to a blown up disc. I screwed it up a little over a year ago. It gets better as I improve conditioning, then I do something stupid and re-injure it.
Last Fall it was a big suit case. Same suit case a couple of months ago again. The original injury I went to the doc about since walking was barely possible by then. It got a lot worse then slowly better though the therapy was utterly useless and a waste of time and money. I stopped going, and rode and ran myself back into condition, then started traveling on business. One early morning in Wichita, I went to pick up my suitcase off the bed, and just not being lined up right tweaked it to the point I was laying on the floor for a few hours. Then long flights in crappy airline seating really did it to me again and again.
Riding the motorcycle across the desert home was easier on my back then flying.

I'm not using that damned suit case again. And I fly as little as possible.

I have tried a few recombents in my time. They were fine. Not really my cup of tea. One was nasty, one was quite good. Plus there is no room in the garage or closer to the point budget.
I'm considering selling the Adventure bike since it is one of the things that do stress my back. I hate prospect of driving a car.
The bicycle doesn't hurt while I'm riding unless I do something wrong, or hit a sharp pot hole while seated.
I spent some time working the high places in the house with a duster and vacuum. Probably shouldn't have ridden to the beach, then done quite so much of that work nonsense.
SHort easy ride here in a few I think just to loosen myself up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Mr Head: Ever consider a recumbent? Could solve the back pain.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #29313
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,149
Riding in the pouring rain...

...might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #29314
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
Ah, nothing like a little frustration to fuel a ride. Wasted the better part of the day driving 2.5 hours to buy something that didn't come close to what was described. The pictures were obviously very strategically taken to avoid the worst as well. Oh well. Got home, saw I had a few hours till the rain got here. I could either cut grass, or since I felt amazingly good after how burnt I was when I got home yesterday, I decided a short, easy ride would do.

This ride put me over 100 miles for the week. And when I got home I noticed I've got cords showing through on my front tire, so I guess I better go get me a new one tomorrow during work.

Start that ADV Strava group!

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #29315
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,431
Oh yeah! Here's mine!

I got a flat on my new rear Fusion 3 tubeless, and the only way way I knew was the sealant hit my bud Tim's glasses! Sealed with no noticable loss of pressure, and we kept going! Gotta love that!

rbrsddn screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 01:37 PM
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #29316
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Until Ridge shows up, ain't none of us gonna one-up kbasa, but when in Rome...

A good ride with one of the local clubs. Some of those Olde Phartes can really motor! A damn pit bull chased each one of us in turn out on Philips Rd. right in the middle of one of the steeper ramps. I burnt a match and made my escape (barely). Everyone else got out unscathed as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #29317
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,431
Hey Nedster, I spent a few months in 1981 inSanta Maria, and Oceano. Got me and my 74 Trident out there on a moving truck. I spent a lot of time at a bar called The Peanut Barrel right in Pismo. Had some serious laughs and played a ton of pool. Do you remember that place?
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #29318
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

So rested on ice this morning. Got restless and did some more of that housework stuff.
Then decided to loosen up on the bike a little.

The headwind was bigger today than yesterday. Ouch.
Headed east to check out the construction progress along the trail. They have dug a huge hole off the trail by the river. Deep.
The trail is no longer re-routed through the campground. New pavement too. But damn is that thing expose to the wind on the way back.

Caught up to a couple after I crossed the river and decided to head down to the park and turn there.
Well, they were riding slower than I thought I wanted to by that point so I took off on my own. Pretty soon I was on my own.
After I dropped back down by the river and was nearer the park, the wind had picked up to the point I was spinning at about 13 mph. They caught up to me so I sat on.
I am not one to turn my nose up at a free ride.
About a half mile later we come across a big snake laying across the left half of the trail with it's head about at the center and tail still in the weeds/rocks on the river side.
The woman yipped and moved to the left quickly, I followed so did the man.
I did NOT stop and get a photo. The thing was bigger around than my arm. Kinda green/yellow/ snake-belly colored. sort of an argyle diamond pattern to it.
This got us to talking for a bit.

They pulled off at the park, and I decided to put some more distance and time between me and the snake since I'd be riding past there again to get home.
Didn't want him lying in wait for me.

Anyway good hard ride back from my turn around point.

Quick pit stop at the park and back up the shallow hill to the house.
Not feeling too bad. Back is a little tighter than when I left, but a little ice should help that here in a bit. Heart rate is still not big yet. I figure once I get my thousand in I can start working my heart better. Right now I'm babying my knees, slowly building the legs back so they will tolerate a lot of hills. There are a lot of hills between home and the beach if you travel the more interesting routes.

Later all, thanks for the inspiration.
Smugmug
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #29319
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Ridge? Tap....tap.tap.tap? Ridge?

Ya... checking in and still licking my wounds. It was an epic day of physical and mental extremes.

Saturday I finished my third double century and I can honestly say that every time I've done one of these, it brings a whole new set of challenges and self-realizations. Pushing mind, body and spirit to the breaking point only to pull back just long enough to last a few more miles. It's such a delicate balance of determining how much fuel is left in the tank when every increment of speed brings new challenges to hang on, pull through and don't fade. It's equal to nothing else I've attempted to date and I am tremendously grateful to every rider that finished with me. If not for that hodge-podge, cobbled together group, there is no way I could have completed in the time that I did. As the memory of the pain from this challenge fades, I'm sure I'll find some new and fascinating way to punish mind and body in the not too distant future.

The day started off raining but mild and warm-ish. Tropical storm Andrea had moved through the state just a day prior so there were many sighs of relief and only mild concern for flooding as we transited southeast and into the low-lying areas of the North Carolina coastal plains for the last half of the ride.

My wife was lead sag for the lead group and we started off with 30 or so headstrong riders. I knew and raced with at least 9 or 10 of them and those were the ones I counted on to keep this gaggle working as a unit.

For the first 15 miles or so, we were getting our bearings, establishing faces and names to bikes along with working the legs a little bit looser. There were a couple of guys that were itching early on to push a hard pace from the beginning and they quickly went off the front of the main group. As it was about 6am, the roads were wet, dark and markings difficult to see. One of the riders came back to the group while a solo stayed out front just within sight. We started making quick lefts and rights as the route weaved out of city limits and the solo guy missed one of the turns. Despite our yelling, he pedaled on and would eventually realize the error of his impatience.

As the turns got less frequent and the road in front stretched out, I formed our group into a double rotating paceline to maximize our speed and minimize each rider's time on the front. It took a few miles to get some of the less experienced riders instructed on double pacelining and instilling confidence in the riders around them. Riding a few inches from the wheel in front of you takes immense concentration, skill and confidence in your ability to react if anything should go pear-shaped. We soon got into a good rhythm and rotation as the more experienced riders and racers tried to position themselves throughout the group to keep the speed and momentum consistent.

The rain would fade and fall along the route but finally started clearing off about 60 miles in. The roads finally dried up and we were gifted an overcast sky with about 70 degrees. It was perfect conditions for riding and we all hoped it would just stay this way for the duration. We maintained 20-25mph on most roads and only missed a few turns. GPS always saved the day as some of the riders had the route programmed and would quickly correct us if we missed a turn marking.

The route had pre-planned stops about every 30-35 miles and this worked well for our group. I hustled through each stop filling a single bottle and shoving PB&J sammiches in my mouth. I wanted to keep the group moving as much as possible so if I saw guys sitting on their top bars, or just conversing, I yelled ROLLING as loud as possible and made my way back to the route. We did an excellent job at moving through the stops pretty efficiently. Though by stop 4 and 5, we started shedding riders pretty regularly. By stop five and mile 170 or so, our group was down to a core of 12 riders all mostly active racers and very experienced cyclists. We formed a single pace line for the last 40 miles and took our turns wrestling with the wind.

By mile 170, the sun was out in full force and the winds had picked up. We were not in a full head wind, but slightly tacking and off to our right. Sometimes we would luck up and catch a tail wind if the route turned due east. The speed really ratcheted up to 26 and 27 mph on those flat roads. It was poetry in motion to see these guys pull through, check the guy behind them, throw an elbow and pull off. About mile 190, we had one rider that threw a spoke from his front wheel so we waited for sag and swapped him out a new one. By now, with a couple of detours around flooded areas, we were sitting dead on 200 miles with about 12 to go for the finish.

We had a couple of locals that knew the roads well and guided us in to the finish. The riders with just a little reserve in the tank actually stood on the pedals to cross the line in a sprint finish to a cheering crowd. It was an amazing experience and group of riders I'm glad to call teammates and friends.

A worn, weary and nearly broken me at the end...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #29320
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,136
fairly new to this whole bicycle thing.....
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this:

Wahoo Blue SC for iPhone 5

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #29321
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Build a real nice one, then ask if you can keep it!!!!! Good luck!
So first day: get there 0945 and head over to the Whole Foods place to buy myself a yogurt 'cause I forgot one. Man! I gotta spend more time in there!

2100hrs I leave.

In between was a parade of 'can you help me with this flat?' or 'my bike isn't shifting right' and 'my bike needs a tune-up.' I didn't really stop for longer'n it took to shove a sammich and some chips down my gullet.

Never did build that bike. I *did* fix a few effed up builds (don't get me started!) and did one quickie tune-up that the customer (rightfully) was complaining about his brakes not working right. Bike was filthy when it was put away AFTER being 'tuned up.' Rule #1: if you do nothing else, clean the #$%#$% bike! A clean bike says 'the mechanic did something' regardless of whether you just tweaked a derailleur adjustment or nothing at all. ...and yes... Sometimes you don't need to do anything to em but wipe em down.

I think I'm gonna have to build one today, but we'll see.

The shop is a wreck. The organization is non-existent. Its gonna be a bunch of work to get things turned around.

M
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #29322
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,627
Great report Ridge! As you noted, the memories of the difficult miles and pain fades and the pleasures of your accomplishments will replace them. In the rando world, we have a word that describes it......randoneisa! Pretty soon, you'll be planning your next one!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #29323
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So first day: get there 0945 and head over to the Whole Foods place to buy myself a yogurt 'cause I forgot one. Man! I gotta spend more time in there!

2100hrs I leave.

In between was a parade of 'can you help me with this flat?' or 'my bike isn't shifting right' and 'my bike needs a tune-up.' I didn't really stop for longer'n it took to shove a sammich and some chips down my gullet.

Never did build that bike. I *did* fix a few effed up builds (don't get me started!) and did one quickie tune-up that the customer (rightfully) was complaining about his brakes not working right. Bike was filthy when it was put away AFTER being 'tuned up.' Rule #1: if you do nothing else, clean the #$%#$% bike! A clean bike says 'the mechanic did something' regardless of whether you just tweaked a derailleur adjustment or nothing at all. ...and yes... Sometimes you don't need to do anything to em but wipe em down.

The shop is a wreck. The organization is non-existent. Its gonna be a bunch of work to get things turned around.

M
Ugh... I don't envy that situation one bit; good luck!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #29324
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Yes, great report. That sound of a group of wheels at speed is worth the effort I think. I hope I can get to where I can hear that sound live again.
Two hundred miles in one bite. Wow.
Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Great report Ridge! As you noted, the memories of the difficult miles and pain fades and the pleasures of your accomplishments will replace them. In the rando world, we have a word that describes it......randoneisa! Pretty soon, you'll be planning your next one!
Smugmug
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #29325
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Good luck. And I like rule #1. We used that when I worked on motorcycles. Only ever pissed one guy off that we cleaned up his bike, because it was caked in dirt and filth. He was a regular and the time before we told him the next time it came in that bad, we'd be charging him. We did and he was mad for a while, but because the work was good he came back and the next time it was cleaner. Only needed wiped down.
The thing I miss about that work is the fact that we knew when we were done. This engineering thing you're never really done, you just seem to run out of time and or money.
There is an art to building and maintaining machines. Some make it a routine and craft. They can work quickly and efficiently and turn out machine after machine the same as the last one. Set up and adjusted perfectly. Clean and tidy.
Those are the shops I recall from back in the day. They are certainly fewer and farther between. When I find one I stick to it. Even though parts may cost me a little more I want to preserve that quality.
That Zen and the Art thing applies to a lot of stuff. In my book it boils down to caring.
You certainly care about the machinery, the customers and the sport. That right there is the benefit to us all. The more that gets done, and rubs off on others the wider the practice and craft are spread.
You never get rich selling bikes motorcycles or bicycles, or maintaining them, but a good shop makes the community it serves richer.
Well done for a first day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

2100hrs I leave.

M
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: