Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 262 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #29371
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For all your electronical bike geek type questions, start with www.dcrainmaker.com

M
After his review of the 810 - and failure to mention all the issues with it - he's lost a bit of credibility in my eyes.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #29372
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,364
Is it wrong that I'm thinking about going for the California Triple Crown next year?

My poor motorcycles. They get no love.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #29373
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Is it wrong that I'm thinking about going for the California Triple Crown next year?

http://youtu.be/VZ2HcRl4wSk
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #29374
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,847
Since I'm sort of looking, what are the issues?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
After his review of the 810 - and failure to mention all the issues with it - he's lost a bit of credibility in my eyes.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #29375
k7
Ancien cyclist

Think longer.

Quote:
Why stop there? You're perfect for the brevet world. Think about it - the shortest ride is 200-km and then it's 300, 400 and 600-km. A 400-km is roughly 250 miles...not much more than a double. A 600 is usually broken into effectively two loops - one at 250 miles and the balance is the second look.

There are enough guys who really push it hard to make it competitive, if you want, and others who are out for a nice long ride. The camaraderie is amazing.

Once you finish the series, you're qualified for a 1200-km event. The granddaddy of them all is Paris-Brest-Paris and the next version is in 2015.

Imagine riding through the French countryside with 5,000 other riders from nearly every country in the world! It really is supposed to be quite the experience.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #29376
k7
Ancien cyclist

Garmin 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Since I'm sort of looking, what are the issues?
Thanks
Here are some sample thread titles from the Garmin 810 forum.

Live Track Disconnection / Re Connection
Speed Spikes - inaccurate speed
810 stopped recording cadence and heart rate 6km into a spin today*
GSC 10 and Heart Rate Monitor Problems
Does anyone know how to send a formal complaint to Garmin?
Who's course navigation works on their 810?
Power Readings Issue

* The 810 is clearly having Ant+ connectivity issues. The last firmware update appears to have resolved my issues but I haven't "brevet-tested" it recently.

I'm not happy with mine but I trust that Garmin will get it 99% corrected sooner... or later.

Dcrainmaker should have been more forthcoming in IMHO.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #29377
kbasa
Colnago!

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it here.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #29378
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:

Power Readings Issue

* The 810 is clearly having Ant+ connectivity issues. The last firmware update appears to have resolved my issues but I haven't "brevet-tested" it recently.

I'm not happy with mine but I trust that Garmin will get it 99% corrected sooner... or later.

I have a 705, which has been terrific. The only issue I've had is when it stopped calculating grades and capturing elevation last weekend. It still recorded mileage and the route, which was fine.

Tina's looking for a new HR/speed/cadence gadget, so I think we're going to try and find her a 705. My team mates have 500s and 800s and seem to have trouble with them pretty regularly.

And, of course, Garmin software is a hodgepodge of programs that should rightly be integrated into one. For example, if you have a Garmin Connect account, why can't you just load your stuff up to Garmin Connect from BaseCamp? Why do I need a separate map management tool? Why isn't all that stuff in one application that works as easily as iTunes or similar?

And don't get me started on their map policies. Let's say we buy another GPS for Tina. If so, I need to buy another set of maps that are only for that specific unit. Why can't I buy a household license and put those maps on the GPS in my truck/moto/bicycles? Charge me another hundred dollars and we'll call it a day. With DRM where it is now, having a dedicated Serial Number linkage between maps and units is outrageous.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #29379
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:

sell me one. my r1100rs is on its last legs, the gearbox is making nasty moaning sounds in 2nd and 4th.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #29380
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:

Power Readings Issue

I had similar problems with my 510 and localized it to the Bluetooth/ANT+ fighting each other. After I turned the BT feature off, no more data problems. I'll now turn it on only after a ride is completed to do the upload through my phone, then it's off again.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #29381
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
sell me one. my r1100rs is on its last legs, the gearbox is making nasty moaning sounds in 2nd and 4th.
You're STILL riding that thing?!

M
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #29382
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You're STILL riding that thing?!

M
It's his first bike, too. :wow

Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #29383
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I had similar problems with my 510 and localized it to the Bluetooth/ANT+ fighting each other. After I turned the BT feature off, no more data problems. I'll now turn it on only after a ride is completed to do the upload through my phone, then it's off again.
Yep - I've done that also and it seems to have corrected many issues. Mine didn't typically appear until in the middle of a "long" ride so I can't say w/ any certainty that it's resolved but I'm slowly gaining confidence.

Every Garmin I've ever owned has had its own set of "particularities". I think Kbasa nailed it in that they keep trying to plug and play disparate parts of different programs into one unit without a common operating system that's been brought up to modern standards. Too much hodgepodge... too much cowbell.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #29384
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Yep - I've done that also and it seems to have corrected many issues. Mine didn't typically appear until in the middle of a "long" ride so I can't say w/ any certainty that it's resolved but I'm slowly gaining confidence.

Every Garmin I've ever owned has had its own set of "particularities". I think Kbasa nailed it in that they keep trying to plug and play disparate parts of different programs into one unit without a common operating system that's been brought up to modern standards. Too much hodgepodge... too much cowbell.
Ran into some weirdness with our Edge 500s as well. Mine was replaced under warranty about six months after I bought it. My wife's is still running pretty well, but I haven't updated hers to the latest firmware either.

I usually 'sleep' my PC rather than turning it off and I've noticed that after a few rides, I'll have to reboot before I can get a working data connection to the Garmins. They charge through the cable, but won't link to the PC. Looks like a Garmin USB issue so far, but I'm not certain.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #29385
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:

Put a 2X2 Cycles carrier on one of 'em and take it to the CTC events of your choice! An epic bicycle ride sandwiched between two motorcycle rides, what could be better?

Re: Garmin issues, I have an Edge 500. The main unit has been solid, I've no complaints. The speed/cadence sensor and HR strap...not so much. I get cadence data, but no speed (based on sensor data, GPS-derived speed works OK) and HR is all over the map due to a bad strap. Both are common issues. I've yet to get a hold of Garmin to see what they can do for me, if anything. Reportedly, the Polar ANT+ HRM strap works with the Garmin HRM transmitter and is cheaper and more robust than the Garmin version.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: