Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
and back down the rabbit hole we go...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #29387
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Did someone mention Strava? Here is today's effort...

soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #29388
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813

I love it. Yeah, there are days when I'm rolling home after a rough day and my general thought is "No PRs today."

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #29389
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There has been a lot of criticism aimed at Strava and Strava users for it's competitive element, but for me, this has been nothing but positive. At 52, I'm one of the oldest riders on the trails, and it gratifying to see that my times compare pretty well to all the local racers who are 30 years younger and 30 pounds lighter than I am. I was and still am very suspicious about how KOM's are achieved, but there's no question that seeing my name climb to the top of the leader boards has motivated me to train much harder than I ever would have, even if it's just to shave off 1 second to win the coveted crown.
I'm the oldest guy on my team. I like to see how much hurt I'm putting on the youngsters.

kbasa screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:51 AM
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #29390
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

I love it. Yeah, there are days when I'm rolling home after a rough day and my general thought is "No PRs today."
My riding style is pretty erratic. There are times when I'm out there simply enjoying the scenery, practically coasting along. Then, suddenly I'll come across an otherwise uninspiring section of trail and feel the need to put the hammer down and go for broke. Other riders only seem to know one speed. One local rider who is following me on Strava actually accused me of deliberately taking it easy on much of the trail, just so I could conserve my energy to beat his Strava records.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #29391
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
My riding style is pretty erratic. There are times when I'm out there simply enjoying the scenery, practically coasting along. Then, suddenly I'll come across an otherwise uninspiring section of trail and feel the need to put the hammer down and go for broke. Other riders only seem to know one speed. One local rider who is following me on Strava actually accused me of deliberately taking it easy on much of the trail, just so I could conserve my energy to beat his Strava records.

I'm the same way. I usually start most rides by going easy, then after I'm warmed up, it's time to start pushing, but that's not consistent. Sometimes, I just want to roll at a decent clip in HR zone 3, enjoying the scenery, the day and talking with my team.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #29392
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

I'm the same way. I usually start most rides by going easy, then after I'm warmed up, it's time to start pushing, but that's not consistent. Sometimes, I just want to roll at a decent clip in HR zone 3, enjoying the scenery, the day and talking with my team.
I forgot to mention that the rider I referred to earlier became so incensed when I beat his PR on his favorite trail that he changed his Strava setting to Private so that I could no longer see his records, and then unfriended me on Facebook.

I've never seen a head explosion like that over something so trivial.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #29393
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,832
Awesome!
I don't think I've ever noticed anybody elses numbers on any of the segments that make up my normal route.

By tracking with Strava I had a graphical means to see for myself how I'm doing. When I got to where I could ride 30 miles in two hours or so, that was a personal milestone.

Strava didn't notice.

Last night I didn't ride because I had a doctor's appointment for my back that I'd all but forgotten about. The appointment not the back pain.

After one night on the relaxer meds I was barely able to walk this morning and riding in here on the big Adventure was painful.
I finally got to take the first course of anti-inflammatories about 8:15 thanks to a load of meetings and emails.
After about an hour I felt not too bad.

None of that can be tracked via Strava.

If I feel up to it tonight I'll go for an easy spin. Unfortunately there is always a hill to climb to end any of my rides. When I take it easy that means slow there. And that blows up my Strava average for the day.

My work is in the annual fitness freak out now so I have a pedometer strapped to me. Cycling minutes are converted based on average speed. Of course there is zero accounting for headwinds or hills.
I could account for this on my own by recording different rides for the same workout, say the out ride is my slow ride, so that goes in the slow column, and the new fast ride with the wind at my back goes down as the fast ride and mucho points!
The hill would be the uber slow and short ride so almost no points. Looks like I'm window shopping along the beach with a boat drink in my hand.

But, I'm lazy and take the attitude that to push my lumpy body into the 17 mph zone for an average of the whole route is a better goal/feeling than working the system.
The work fitness software monster hounds me every few hours asking me if I've got off my ass lately and to post or my daily average is down for the week and I need to pick up the pace.
I'd like to unfriend it, but can't even get outlook to see it as spam.

After I hit my thousand spinning miles I'll start training on hills and my averages will go into the dumpster for sure.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the rider I referred to earlier became so incensed when I beat his PR on his favorite trail that he changed his Strava setting to Private so that I could no longer see his records, and then unfriended me on Facebook.

I've never seen a head explosion like that over something so trivial.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #29394
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,933
I noticed that my times are usually mid pack for times on climbs, with anywhere from 20-30 riders on each. There's two climbs that stood out to me. Both of them have over 80 riders recorded, and my times are in the bottom five on both. I finally looked at them and noticed all the times were from the same date. It appears there was a race held in the area last year, and both of those were on the route. There's certainly no threat of me ever being a bike racer.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #29395
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,422
Over one year of commuting, zero flats

but now you know whats going to happen right?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #29396
Lujo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Schwalbe makes some awesome tires. IIRC, I had zero flats commuting on my last set of Big Apples before they wore out. Now running the new version of the same tire.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #29397
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,488
Got out for 18 miles on a family member's CX bike today, legs and lungs were fine but the bike doesn't really fit me so my back, wrists and ass were sore after 15 miles or so.

Are Strava speeds remotely accurate? 47mph!? I knew I was hauling ass but damn. I wonder how well nylon MTB shorts do against pavement at those speeds.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #29398
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Are Strava speeds remotely accurate? 47mph!? I knew I was hauling ass but damn.
Strava displays the data supplied by your GPS, so the question is how accurate is your GPS? On roads, or when traveling in relatively straight lines, I've found my Garmin Edge 800 to be dead on when compared to a speedometer reading from a wheel sensor. For a while I had them mounted side by side to check for any discrepancy. When none materialized, I got rid of the speedometer. Mtb trails consisting of tight turns, and/or where different trail segments are in close proximity, are a different matter entirely.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #29399
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Over one year of commuting, zero flats

but now you know whats going to happen right?
+1. Absolutely bulletproof.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #29400
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Little 90-ish min ride today on what I call my '4 Dirt Roads' loop. As the name implies, there's 4 sections of gravel on the route. None are more'n a bout a mile or two long. Snuck in a ride before heading to the shop to turn wrenches for people like Panda-boy that don't know enough to check their stuff.

For example. I get there at 1300 with a bike waiting for me. Strapped to the handlebars with mini bungee cords is a rechargeable light. ...like you get from Sears, NOT a bicycle light. Definitely bodged. So the boss sez 'this guy is a commuter. Let's try and take care of them...'

So I measured the chain the old fashioned way. Center of one link to the center of another link should be 12" exactly. If the chain goes over 12 1/8" its time for replacement. Weellll the chain had gone past 12 1/4". So I called the guy. 'You'll probably need a new cassette because the new chain will probably skip. blah blah blah.'

I get back 'well you just put a new cassette on 2mos ago!'

Since this chain's worn well past the limits, the new chain will probably skip. They wear together blah blah blah

Try putting on the chain.

Will do. It'll be ready in an hour or so (we get lots of walk-in stuff from the MUT that runs not 1/2mi away and I wanted to have time to get it done)

So I pull the old, dry as a bone chain off and toss it on the bench to measure the new one against the old. Hmmm I need 2 more links. So I pulled the usual 2 links off another new chain and added em on. (and co-incidentally installed that pre-shortened chain on another repair a little later )

Ticket's written for 'replace chain' and 'replace brake cable.' ...except the guy that wrote the ticket didn't remember WHICH cable needed it. (and I forgot to ask when telling the customer about his chain )

So he comes to get the bike and takes it out.

Comes back in. Front brakes are squealing and the rear isn't working at all. Every time I use the rear brake, the cable pops out. So THAT was the cable that needed replacing. Great. 'Don't you think you should adjust the pads when you install a new cable?' Eff you buddy! You just done crossed the line. No more above and beyond for your ungrateful ass. If you want a tune-up, check the bike in and wait like everyone else. While I *can* do a tune up in 20-30min, I'm NOT going to for the simple fact that there are 40-ish bikes in front of your sorry ass that don't want special treatment for their hybrid.

Now, I normally don't have a problem helping people out. I'll typically go above and beyond what the ticket calls for *if* the person is for lack of a better term 'nice.' This bike was worked. Derailleurs were coated in a layer of filth that took some serious scrubbing to get off. Brake pads weren't worn as far as Panda-boy's, but they were on the way.

Pointed out that he needed brake pads and was met with a 'I only ride 4mi each way! I don't need brake pads! What?! Were they cheap pads?!' OK you don't need pads. You're OBVIOUSLY the expert here.

Aaah well.

Oh, one clueless triathlete story. Woman comes in with her tri-bike in tow. I was riding my trainer () and the chain just got locked up! What did I do?!

So I looked the bike over. Not chain-sucked (common). No freehub body problems... Hey! What's this?! The cassette is a little wobbly on the body.

Tightened the lockring on the cassette and all's well. I was so dumbfounded over the complete cluelessness over the whole thing that I didn't even write up a repair ticket or charge her.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: