User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #29386
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
I haven't had issue one (knocking on wood) with my 500. Bought it in Jan.

Got the upgraded HR strap. as well

100 years of TdF bikes

M
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #29387
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Put a 2X2 Cycles carrier on one of 'em and take it to the CTC events of your choice! An epic bicycle ride sandwiched between two motorcycle rides, what could be better?

Re: Garmin issues, I have an Edge 500. The main unit has been solid, I've no complaints. The speed/cadence sensor and HR strap...not so much. I get cadence data, but no speed (based on sensor data, GPS-derived speed works OK) and HR is all over the map due to a bad strap. Both are common issues. I've yet to get a hold of Garmin to see what they can do for me, if anything. Reportedly, the Polar ANT+ HRM strap works with the Garmin HRM transmitter and is cheaper and more robust than the Garmin version.
Definitely give their support line a try. They had a replacement 500 out to me in a couple days.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #29388
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,040
Thanks,
I've never liked Garmin's stranglehold lock of their data. I don't mind the codes I need, but I'd really like to be able to more easily transfer from one old computer to a new computer without all the hassle. Last time it took me a few days of calling to get it working.
That and in the time I've had GPS 2006 and on, the exit to my house from the freeway has never been correct. Google has it wright. Even my Nissan navigation is correct. Garmin is still wrong.
I do trust the Garmin to find it's way back to my home set waypoint over my iPhone though. I didn't trust my Droid phone though either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Here are some sample thread titles from the Garmin 810 forum.

Live Track Disconnection / Re Connection
Speed Spikes - inaccurate speed
810 stopped recording cadence and heart rate 6km into a spin today*
GSC 10 and Heart Rate Monitor Problems
Does anyone know how to send a formal complaint to Garmin?
Who's course navigation works on their 810?
Power Readings Issue

* The 810 is clearly having Ant+ connectivity issues. The last firmware update appears to have resolved my issues but I haven't "brevet-tested" it recently.

I'm not happy with mine but I trust that Garmin will get it 99% corrected sooner... or later.

Dcrainmaker should have been more forthcoming in IMHO.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #29389
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Thanks,
I've never liked Garmin's stranglehold lock of their data. I don't mind the codes I need, but I'd really like to be able to more easily transfer from one old computer to a new computer without all the hassle. Last time it took me a few days of calling to get it working.
That and in the time I've had GPS 2006 and on, the exit to my house from the freeway has never been correct. Google has it wright. Even my Nissan navigation is correct. Garmin is still wrong.
I do trust the Garmin to find it's way back to my home set waypoint over my iPhone though. I didn't trust my Droid phone though either.
I detest Garmin software with a passion I normally reserve for Lotus Notes - I have been in the SW industry for many years and I have written more SW specs than I care to remember and Garmin software and all their controls etc. flat out suck - it was designed by idiots.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #29390
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I detest Garmin software with a passion I normally reserve for Lotus Notes - I have been in the SW industry for many years and I have written more SW specs than I care to remember and Garmin software and all their controls etc. flat out suck - it was designed by idiots.
It's like they've never heard of user testing or thought about how people are actually going to use it. I think that at one point, a guy from Garmin was a regular on the GPS forum here for a while.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #29391
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,061
Ok just to post something that is not GPS related... just to prove that this is still the velo thread.

Here's a new one for me. I have a cyclocross bike that currently is running Pannaracer Tservs
With mr tuffy tire liners.

Well I finally got a flat in the rear and in pulling the tube from the tire I've found that the tube bonded with the inside of the tire just at the edge of the tire liner. and pulled the tube apart like expanded metal, or a net like pattern.

Granted these tires, tubes and liners have been in their for about five years, I don't get/make much time to ride.
And with the liners I've never flatted on this bike so I've had no need to pull the tube.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #29392
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Ok just to post something that is not GPS related... just to prove that this is still the velo thread.

Here's a new one for me. I have a cyclocross bike that currently is running Pannaracer Tservs
With mr tuffy tire liners.

Well I finally got a flat in the rear and in pulling the tube from the tire I've found that the tube bonded with the inside of the tire just at the edge of the tire liner. and pulled the tube apart like expanded metal, or a net like pattern.

Granted these tires, tubes and liners have been in their for about five years, I don't get/make much time to ride.
And with the liners I've never flatted on this bike so I've had no need to pull the tube.
I used to run Mr Tuffy's on my wifes commuter. We lived in the city and she rode through glass and metal and shit all the time. The first set the tube rubbed through at the point where the belt overlapped. The tire looked like swiss cheese, you could see light through it..... No flats after three years of solid commuting. The next set of tires I used a ton of talc. We just put new tires on it after I don't know how many years or miles. The tire was just mush. Never a flat. It is now pretty much retired.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #29393
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,061
I started using tire liners back when I was a messenger in the late 80s early 90s.
The have been a staple on all my functional bikes since.

Functional vs sporty bikes.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #29394
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,038
With the new puncture resistant tires, I havent had a flat in a long time. Currently running Vittorria Randonneur Hypers, have run them over lots of hard pack dirt as well as pavement and gravel, haven't had a thorn or glass flat in a long time. my son runs gatorbacks on his skinny tire bike, same thing.

i ran tire liners for awhile in the 90s, never much cared for them, they are kinda heavy, and they are hard to get exactly straight, so they can leave your tires a little off balance. maybe they've improved them? these had a black and colored layer, of different materials, you installed them black layer out. I was using them on 26" stumpjumper and crossroads tires.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #29395
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
It's like they've never heard of user testing or thought about how people are actually going to use it. I think that at one point, a guy from Garmin was a regular on the GPS forum here for a while.
The UI on their PC software is absolutely awful. Makes Notes look sophisticated... As an ex product manager/owner/architect, I'd love to have a chat with the Garmin guy and ask them what the hell they were thinking
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #29396
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I started using tire liners back when I was a messenger in the late 80s early 90s.
The have been a staple on all my functional bikes since.

Functional vs sporty bikes.
Specialized Armadillos or Conti Gatorskins should be in your vocabulary. Both really tough tires that ride 'acceptably.'

They even make a GP 4-Seasons for training.

Haymarket's Wed ride is tonite.

M
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #29397
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
The UI on their PC software is absolutely awful. Makes Notes look sophisticated... As an ex product manager/owner/architect, I'd love to have a chat with the Garmin guy and ask them what the hell they were thinking
The guys actually writing the stuff are probably as frustrated as you are. I bet its the brass that make it impossible for em to do anything to fix things.

M
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #29398
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,040
I've been on the Armadillos since slicing my first tire on the Roubaix. I've only killed one by slicing it open on a ride.
I've pulled a number of tubes fillers out though. I'd really like to find Clement latex tubes again. Those things rocked back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Specialized Armadillos or Conti Gatorskins should be in your vocabulary. Both really tough tires that ride 'acceptably.'

M
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #29399
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M

I'll second the GP4000-4 season. I've switched to those in a 25C exclusively for training and racing. Paired with Vittoria latex tubes and the ride is immensely improved over butyl rubber tube/tire combos. 275g combined for any weight weenies and I can typically get 3-5,000 miles out of a single set. Could probably get more if I rotated the front and rear, but I'm lazy that way... I just change them both once per year and don't worry with 'em unless something drastic happens.

Only had one blowout and that was not preventable from a shard of metal shredding my sidewall on a downhill. No way to react in time to avoid. Complete tube egress from the rear tire and wrapped around the hub/skewer... luckily I was only a couple miles from home when it happened.

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #29400
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,016
Quote:
When you look at Google Maps and how easy it is to play with routing and then you look at Garmin's reliance on Waypoints, it's clear that the nav model has moved on and Garmin has missed the boat.

I should be able to put an origination point and a terminus in place by clicking on a map, then dragging the "out" and "back" legs to suit my desires. For bike folks, it would be great it it modeled elevation and was able to forecast a ride time for me based on the stuff I've loaded up into Garmin Connect. The data's there to do it - "on a typical 6% grade, kbasa is typically able to go 10mph", "on a flat section of up to 2% grade, kbasa is typically able to go 22mph". The data is there, but they're too stuck at the micro level to see this as a potential big data exercise.

You know why we have Strava, RidewithGPS and Maymyride? Because the Garmin products are so kludgy.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: