Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,368
Good post Head

Some stuff the all carbon generation could learn
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #29417
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,861
So, I had a big write up and this POS Dell computer died again.

I'm not going into it again.
Went for another afternoon ride that I REALLY needed.
stupid iPhone and iPad won't connect to my wireless anymore at home. No idea why, just don't.

Sometimes I hate technology. It all seems so half-assed. Why can't this crap be like a Campangnolo Super Record Derailleur? Simple and beautiful.

Anyway the Strava crap:

I got some stuff done. My legs are sore, but my heart rate is not really up yet. Rode for a bit with a guy wearing an altitude mask. Weird deal looked like some British Zombie fighter.

That rest day thing works the trick for sure.

Still not really losing any weight, but I am stronger. Back isn't horrible either so I count that all in the win column.

Oh, and one other amazing bit of news; my new/old/original decals for the Pinarello showed up today. These are the correct bits. I've been searching high and low for these for the last 17 years or so. Finally found some when of course I was looking for something else and wandered into the eBay wasteland for a bit one Sunday afternoon, and low and behold there they were.

Now, I have to clean up that frame and get these on there. They won't bring back thirty years of legs but damn they are going to be nice.

I have a set for a post 1984 Pinarello too, that I got thinking they were right only to discover they weren't.
If anybody is interested, I could probably be talked out of them cheap.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #29418
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Hairnets,

What year(s) were those pictures taken?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #29419
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
My first cycling shoes that actually fit correctly were Diadora toe straps and cleats. They had plastic soles. I had one pair of Sidi wooden soled shoes, but if these get wet they would crack. The grain ran along the length of the shoe so as you put weight on the shoe, the crack opened. Then as you lifted the crack took a little nip out of your instep. Generally left a blood blister. Real painful and it never happened hopping distance from home. Piece of cardboard into the shoe, and ride on.
My foot slid around in the wide lasted Sidi so much traded them for something and bought the Diadora's. Got some Look's much later, then we got Time sponsorship and that was the real end of toeclips.
Now, I ride an old set of RIchie clipless MTB pedals even on my Roubaix. I take a little crap for them from my LBS, but I like my Sidi MTB shoes for standing or walking a bit. Much more stable on the ground than road shoes. The shoes are about worn out after about 6 years of wear. And the pedals could do with replacing. I'll likely swap to more modern walkable MTB shoes and pedals some time soon.

I also had a Cinelli and Kucharick leather/hair/foam helmets when I started. The Cinelli I only wore a few times, then got the more advanced Kucharick. The last time I wore the leather hairnet we got caught in big hail on a mountain pass. We all got to shelter with knots on our heads from the hail. And we were still 50+ miles from my house.
I got a Bell tourlite I think it was called, had a removable sunshade thing. Heavy too. No more hail bumps after that.
Then we began getting helmet sponsors. Giro's and ProTec. We even had Oakley sunglasses as s sponsor.
Those were the days.
I ran folding clinchers when everybody else on the team has sew-ups. I had two pairs of sew-up wheels, one was my TT set with silk and a rear disc. The others I'd built as race wheels, but rarely used. I sold them to a guy after a race.
Then we went and bought some beer.
Sold the TT set up as well.

My first multi-speed bike I bought in college from Western Auto in Lindsburg Kansas. Sold it to my brother, who re-sold it for $20 more than I sold it to him for.
Then I got an Itoh from Woolco for $50 on sale, and after happening into a real bicycle shop where the owner began showing me the way, and we fixed the bike up nicely. (I'd come in looking for lights. Finding a very cool set of spun aluminum lights that had a good generator), I lost that bike to thieves. Never leave a bike outside even behind solid fences.
I replaced it with a Motobecane Mirage that had hand painted gold pinstripes Horrible geometry, pressed steel dropouts and ultra crap groupo, I destroyed all the pieces of the groupo, folded two rims and replaced everything down to the sleeved seat post. I even sheared off a bolt in the crank, allowing the 42 tooth ring to fold onto the frame as I cranked over the top on a climb. I beat it back sort of straight with a rock and rode the five miles back home in the big ring.
That bike went away and I bought my first closer to a racing bike that I raced. Another Motobecane, but a Grand Record which I learned to ride/race and train on, wearing out the entire groupo in the process and finally bending every tube in it and shearing the seat tube in a crash during a road race when I was run into from behind as I was attempting to stop and avoid the waist-high human hedge of bikes and bodies built after a crash at the front. I was driven into this by two riders sprinting with their heads down full tilt at about 35 mph into my back. I got off with a broken finger and a rideable but destroyed bike.
I quit riding French bikes after that.
The Ciocc Mocba 80 came next and was fed to the garage door when my wife drove into the garage while I was busy trying to comfort our oldest daughter who was about 5 months old at the time in the back seat. That destroyed the bike rack on the roof of the car, the bicycle and broke the wooden garage door. Didn't even scratch the car. The bicycle was worth about twice as much as the car.
Then I bought the team Pinarello Record, but my 55 was called into duty as we were assembling it due to the women's team having an accident with their transport van, destroying the team's bikes.
I finally got my Pinarello a month later, but was mislabeled 55 and is a 57 I think.
That was the last of the road bikes until the Roubaix. I almost pulled the trigger on a few others along the way, but never quite got it done.
I'm certain I'll never buy another steel handmade bike, no room for it to hang. No need really. I can get done what I want to get done with the one plastic bike.
Mountain bikes are another story.
And I quit the track well before I stopped racing. My track bike went away when I came to realize I just didn't have the time to burn up drive between Denver and the Training center in the Springs.
I don't miss toe straps or cleats, or wool shorts or jerseys. I don't miss the hot and basically unprotective leather helmets. I always had to wear some form of eye protection since early on I had 20/800 vision. And later after surgeries nearer 20/20 I protect that with good sunglasses.
It turns out that bicycle sun glasses work very well on motorcycles.
Another hour I can ride the motorcycle home and go for a bicycle ride.
Awesome! Man I wish I had an influence like that when I was younger. No one cycled around here when I was growing up. Found out WAY too late how cool this sport is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Just a reminder that RAAM is underway. The individual riders started yesterday and the team riders start on Satuday.

Leaderboard

I have two acquaintances in the event: Seana Hogan and Maria Parker. Seana is a legend and has won RAAM a record six times....but the last one was 1998. She's ...uh....well over 50, has two kids over 20....and she'll probably win her 7th if........

Maria Parker, on a Cruz recumbent, doesn't win. Maria already holds quite a few ultra cycling records but this her first RAAM. Maria's well over 50 and is a great person. She riding to raise funds for brain cancer which has hit her sister. I made a donation and got a hand-written thank you note from Maria. Pure class.

Homey.....I'm guessing you know Seana as well as some of the others in the event?

Edit: the 50+ women are kicking the under 50 women's asses at this point.
Very cool, I'm following it, but have no idea about the riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Good post Head

Some stuff the all carbon generation could learn
+1
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #29420
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

First one is likely 1983, the second is maybe 1981, or 82.
About 35 pounds ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What year(s) were those pictures taken?
Facebook
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 07:04 AM
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #29421
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
First one is likely 1983, the second is maybe 1980, or 81.
About 35 pounds ago.
I had wondered, because the second picture reminded me of the 1970's. In those days though, I don't recall ever seeing a cyclist wearing a helmet.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #29422
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I was younger, but not young exactly when I learned about real cycling and racing.
That education began with the Coors Classic bicycle race.
I was in my late twenties.
Our daughters grew up at bicycle races, usually when I was working them as an official on a motorcycle. Their first bicycles were made in Italy.
We as a family learned about France and Italy through bicycle racing. We made a lot of friends, covered a lot of ground and went places we probably never would have otherwise. Cycling changed not only our little families perspective of the world but influenced our extended families.
We were lucky to be in Colorado at a time when cycling boomed.

When I came to the sport was just before the end of the mom and pop pro shops. We had several really good pro shops around town. You wanted to visit every one of them because any time you stopped by you were welcomed into a world where there was so much to learn and so much history. Wooden rimmed wheels hanging on walls, Shop owners with thick accents who could tell you tales of racing when men were men and bikes didn't have five speeds.
You have not lived until you have been trounced by some old pot-bellied Dutchman in an afternoon impromptu sprint.
I once stood on a corner in Vail Colorado, working the Coors Classic criterium there, watching as the European riders all pedaled through the corners making up places, as the American riders pointed their inside knees and coasted. That day I learned to ride through corners, and apply what I'd learned from cornering motorcycles to cycling.
I taught myself to push the front of my bicycle and ride through the pedal touching, managing to impress an Olympic track coach when I touched a pedal in the corner and caught the bike without breaking stride.
Cycling made me fit enough to out-skate guys while playing hockey when I had started decades later than them, but I could skate a 30 minute shift and still be fast.
I miss that.
I lived in a place where I commuted so much on my bicycles that the batteries in my beater car and motorcycle would go flat.
If it was snowing that meant I ride the mountain bike. If it was raining that meant I wouldn't be hot.
We were crazy, and having a ball.
Every ride I get to take now brings back a little bit of that old feeling. I'll never be that fast or fit again, but I can get close.
The best part is I learned a fun way to fitness. No boring gym walls, just a bike and a place to go.
Like Willie said, "...it's all practice..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Awesome! Man I wish I had an influence like that when I was younger. No one cycled around here when I was growing up. Found out WAY too late how cool this sport is.

Very cool, I'm following it, but have no idea about the riders.

+1
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #29423
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

On my ride last night, crossing the only busy street on my route, with a crossing light. Two cars ran the red. The first jumped on the gas when the light turned yellow about 200 yards out, crossing the line on his side of the "T" intersection under the red. The following pick up was about a hundred yards behind him and I missed him because I was flipping off the first asshat in the Prius. As I started off to cross, I looked out of habit, and had to roll back toward the curb. The pickup was doing more than the speed limit, 50mph and not caring at all.
There were maybe eight cars and trucks as traffic. Nobody really on the street yet these two people decided it was much more important to not stop than me maybe getting hit. I have enough of a hearing impairment so I did not hear them coming. If I had not looked a second time, I would be dead. That pick up was traveling at a very high rate.

Then this morning on the freeway I'm riding the Adventure to work, and a Benz rolls up along side me. He slows, and I look over to see him holding his iPhone below the radio with the backlight off texting with one hand!
He looks up at me and I shake my head, to which he flips me off!

This is the point where I have to go to my happy place so I don't kick the right side mirror off his E350 with my boot.

Events like the above make me think that GoPro and a headset might not be a bad idea for both bicycle and motorcycle. Just hit "RECORD" when I come upon the morons I usually just navigate my way around. I wonder if there is a means to send that sort of recording to the cops so the principals get the recognition they seem to be seeking.

Kids use that crosswalk all the time, skateboards, those razor things and bikes and walkers/runners/and even us cyclists.
What is it that makes a person think that shortening their commute is somehow more important than possibly ending somebodies life? Or that ANYTHING on that fucking phone is worth looking at while driving?

Rant off.
Still, I ain't gonna let them harsh my buzz.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #29424
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I've thrown away a ton of possessions over the years and have very few regrets but throwing away my 1977 Detto Pietro's is one that I'll always regret. Classic shoes.

I found these in the back of my closet last year...

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #29425
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,755

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #29426
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Man you guys have some old crap laying around.

When we moved out here in 97, I found a box full of old motorcycle helmets. Smelled like hockey gear.

I tossed the whole thing.

Anyway, went out for another ride .Felt tired. I'm not sleeping great, and going to bed late and waking every hour or so isn't a big help.
But, I got a ride in and that's what counts.

Strava goo:

Hard ride and I was / am tired.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #29427
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Then this morning on the freeway I'm riding the Adventure to work, and a Benz rolls up along side me. He slows, and I look over to see him holding his iPhone below the radio with the backlight off texting with one hand!
He looks up at me and I shake my head, to which he flips me off!

This is the point where I have to go to my happy place so I don't kick the right side mirror off his E350 with my boot.

Got Stebel?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #29428
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,413
Just rolling home. It was a nice day, though we had the typical Crissy Field headwinds. Set a couple nice PRs, too.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #29429
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I was thinking more along the lines of an ESD event. Something that disables the toy for a bit. MAybe I can get the collective working on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Got Stebel?
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #29430
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of an ESD event. Something that disables the toy for a bit. MAybe I can get the collective working on it?
ESD... where cyclists are kings!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: