Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #29491
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

wasn't meant as a dig at you man. Everyone is posting their strava routes , I do not have that ability. Or I probably do, just have never been to stravas website. I could take a picture of my garmin showing miles, time and my sweat but who wants to see that ?
I already attempted to upload my garmin rides to ifit for historical reference but ifit couldn't see my rides.?
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #29492
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
wasn't meant as a dig at you man. Everyone is posting their strava routes , I do not have that ability. Or I probably do, just have never been to stravas website. I could take a picture of my garmin showing miles, time and my sweat but who wants to see that ?
I already attempted to upload my garmin rides to ifit for historical reference but ifit couldn't see my rides.?
Just kidding zippy. Strava is just a convenient training tool. I used to track my performance on sheets of paper. Strava's software makes that task effortless, and it gives me lots of additional data that a speedometer, odometer, and stop watch can't provide.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #29493
HondaBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Awesome! Talk about mad skills.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe.../iceman2058,94
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #29494
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,950
Quote:
Just kidding zippy. Strava is just a convenient training tool. I used to track my performance on sheets of paper. Strava's software makes that task effortless, and it gives me lots of additional data that a speedometer, odometer, and stop watch can't provide.
Pretty much. It's helpful for motivation on regular routes you struggle on. There's a little bump on my way home that's like 10%+. It's only a couple hundred yards, but when I hit that thing, I start thinking that I should dump everything and try to set a new personal record on it.

Over time, I've been able to see my avg. speed go up, heart rate go down and elapsed time drop. It's super motivational and is a great way to keep me motivated.

Since I ride mostly longer rides these days, Strava also helps me understand that I'm not really all that far behind the "fast team" in my group. I also like to link my Instagram with Strava, so if I take pictures of my team mates on a ride, those photos actually show up with the ride infor in Strava. Kinda cool.

I also like to follow some of the pros that are on there and see how they train. It's kind of cool to get insight into how fast they are and how much time they invest in riding.

YMMV, of course, but those are the things that have kept me on Strava and actually convinced me to cough up the money for premium.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #29495
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Pretty much. It's helpful for motivation on regular routes you struggle on. There's a little bump on my way home that's like 10%+. It's only a couple hundred yards, but when I hit that thing, I start thinking that I should dump everything and try to set a new personal record on it.

Over time, I've been able to see my avg. speed go up, heart rate go down and elapsed time drop. It's super motivational and is a great way to keep me motivated.

Since I ride mostly longer rides these days, Strava also helps me understand that I'm not really all that far behind the "fast team" in my group. I also like to link my Instagram with Strava, so if I take pictures of my team mates on a ride, those photos actually show up with the ride infor in Strava. Kinda cool.

I also like to follow some of the pros that are on there and see how they train. It's kind of cool to get insight into how fast they are and how much time they invest in riding.

YMMV, of course, but those are the things that have kept me on Strava and actually convinced me to cough up the money for premium.
There has been a lot of criticism aimed at Strava and Strava users for it's competitive element, but for me, this has been nothing but positive. At 52, I'm one of the oldest riders on the trails, and it gratifying to see that my times compare pretty well to all the local racers who are 30 years younger and 30 pounds lighter than I am. I was and still am very suspicious about how KOM's are achieved, but there's no question that seeing my name climb to the top of the leader boards has motivated me to train much harder than I ever would have, even if it's just to shave off 1 second to win the coveted crown.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #29496
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,431
If Strava helps track your progress, thats a good thing. I use Garmin Connect mostly, but prertty much use it to post my routes/miles on here...:
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #29497
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
I used to like tracking my commutes because I kept getting faster. Eventually I was getting worn out so started taking it easier, and now I'm just getting slower and slower

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #29498
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,429
and back down the rabbit hole we go...
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #29499
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Did someone mention Strava? Here is today's effort...

soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #29500
kbasa
Colnago!

I love it. Yeah, there are days when I'm rolling home after a rough day and my general thought is "No PRs today."

Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #29501
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
There has been a lot of criticism aimed at Strava and Strava users for it's competitive element, but for me, this has been nothing but positive. At 52, I'm one of the oldest riders on the trails, and it gratifying to see that my times compare pretty well to all the local racers who are 30 years younger and 30 pounds lighter than I am. I was and still am very suspicious about how KOM's are achieved, but there's no question that seeing my name climb to the top of the leader boards has motivated me to train much harder than I ever would have, even if it's just to shave off 1 second to win the coveted crown.
I'm the oldest guy on my team. I like to see how much hurt I'm putting on the youngsters.

kbasa screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:51 AM
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #29502
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I love it. Yeah, there are days when I'm rolling home after a rough day and my general thought is "No PRs today."
My riding style is pretty erratic. There are times when I'm out there simply enjoying the scenery, practically coasting along. Then, suddenly I'll come across an otherwise uninspiring section of trail and feel the need to put the hammer down and go for broke. Other riders only seem to know one speed. One local rider who is following me on Strava actually accused me of deliberately taking it easy on much of the trail, just so I could conserve my energy to beat his Strava records.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #29503
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
My riding style is pretty erratic. There are times when I'm out there simply enjoying the scenery, practically coasting along. Then, suddenly I'll come across an otherwise uninspiring section of trail and feel the need to put the hammer down and go for broke. Other riders only seem to know one speed. One local rider who is following me on Strava actually accused me of deliberately taking it easy on much of the trail, just so I could conserve my energy to beat his Strava records.

I'm the same way. I usually start most rides by going easy, then after I'm warmed up, it's time to start pushing, but that's not consistent. Sometimes, I just want to roll at a decent clip in HR zone 3, enjoying the scenery, the day and talking with my team.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #29504
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I'm the same way. I usually start most rides by going easy, then after I'm warmed up, it's time to start pushing, but that's not consistent. Sometimes, I just want to roll at a decent clip in HR zone 3, enjoying the scenery, the day and talking with my team.
I forgot to mention that the rider I referred to earlier became so incensed when I beat his PR on his favorite trail that he changed his Strava setting to Private so that I could no longer see his records, and then unfriended me on Facebook.

I've never seen a head explosion like that over something so trivial.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #29505
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,728
Awesome!
I don't think I've ever noticed anybody elses numbers on any of the segments that make up my normal route.

By tracking with Strava I had a graphical means to see for myself how I'm doing. When I got to where I could ride 30 miles in two hours or so, that was a personal milestone.

Strava didn't notice.

Last night I didn't ride because I had a doctor's appointment for my back that I'd all but forgotten about. The appointment not the back pain.

After one night on the relaxer meds I was barely able to walk this morning and riding in here on the big Adventure was painful.
I finally got to take the first course of anti-inflammatories about 8:15 thanks to a load of meetings and emails.
After about an hour I felt not too bad.

None of that can be tracked via Strava.

If I feel up to it tonight I'll go for an easy spin. Unfortunately there is always a hill to climb to end any of my rides. When I take it easy that means slow there. And that blows up my Strava average for the day.

My work is in the annual fitness freak out now so I have a pedometer strapped to me. Cycling minutes are converted based on average speed. Of course there is zero accounting for headwinds or hills.
I could account for this on my own by recording different rides for the same workout, say the out ride is my slow ride, so that goes in the slow column, and the new fast ride with the wind at my back goes down as the fast ride and mucho points!
The hill would be the uber slow and short ride so almost no points. Looks like I'm window shopping along the beach with a boat drink in my hand.

But, I'm lazy and take the attitude that to push my lumpy body into the 17 mph zone for an average of the whole route is a better goal/feeling than working the system.
The work fitness software monster hounds me every few hours asking me if I've got off my ass lately and to post or my daily average is down for the week and I need to pick up the pace.
I'd like to unfriend it, but can't even get outlook to see it as spam.

After I hit my thousand spinning miles I'll start training on hills and my averages will go into the dumpster for sure.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the rider I referred to earlier became so incensed when I beat his PR on his favorite trail that he changed his Strava setting to Private so that I could no longer see his records, and then unfriended me on Facebook.

I've never seen a head explosion like that over something so trivial.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: