Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #29506
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
I'm still trying to get rid of these last 10-15#. It ain't working. Probably would if I actually watched what I ate off the bike.
You and me both. Portion control is my problem, my stomach takes too damned long to tell my brain that it's full. I think my climbing would really improve if I could get under 200 lbs. (210 now)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #29507
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
You and me both. Portion control is my problem, my stomach takes too damned long to tell my brain that it's full. I think my climbing would really improve if I could get under 200 lbs. (210 now)

force yourself to eat slower, savor each bite.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #29508
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
force yourself to eat slower, savor each bite.
Humph. For me anyway, its either shove it in my gullet or I don't get to eat.

...and not snacking seems to be helping.

M
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #29509
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermane View Post
does anyone here ride a bmx?
earlier this year two mates and myself rode bmx's from christ church to queenstown.

set our bikes up like this.

unpacked haha.
That's what I'm talkin' bout!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #29510
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Thanks for all the encouraging feedback. I was worried it was just me when I saw I set a new slowest time for two of the climbs on strava. Of course, there's only a handful of times on there, and seeing how they are 30 miles out of town, I guess it takes a certain kind of idiot to head out there just to ride up a hill to see if they can do it.
So, I looked in to it a bit more, and I've got a 11-26. It looks like I can go up to a 28 before having to replace my derailleur, so something 12-28 will most likely be ordered. First question, is that going to be enough of a difference to notice? Second, is it an easy, find the you tube video and do it myself swap? Third, what kind of life span do gears and chains have? I'm at about 3k miles on it, should I be considering changing front and chain as well?
Pretty much what gummee said, but you WILL have to replace your chain if it has the correct tension right now. The addition of two teeth will make it to tight. You can fudge it if you go bigger in the rear and smaller in the front, but chains are pretty cheap......
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #29511
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
I dunno. I went to a 12-30 with just a cassette change.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #29512
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I think it'll depend on the bike.

On my GF's tri bike, I put a 12-27 in place of a 11-25. Giant is so cheap that there wasn't enough chain to bump up two lousy teeth. I totally get that a couple links times however many bikes saves money. But, WTF?! At least, allow some versatility for the end user. There aren't many women who can push a 53/11, or men, for that matter.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #29513
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
So, I looked in to it a bit more, and I've got a 11-26. It looks like I can go up to a 28 before having to replace my derailleur, so something 12-28 will most likely be ordered.
I've got a SRAM PG1050 cassette with 11-28 gearing if you're interested. It has maybe 1000 miles on it, if that. PM me if you want it. Replaced it with a 12-32 and now the real climbs are no problem.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #29514
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Swapping a cassette is easy, so long as you have the right tools. You'll need a chain whip and the appropriate lockring tool, but after that it is easy peasy. As for truing, you need a stand for that so thus far I've paid for wheel work. I bet it would be less than $20 to true your front wheel at a shop.

Learning to eat on a ride is something I need to work on. I've never ate in the middle of a ride, granted I haven't done many rides over 20 miles yet. I like the idea of liquid calories.
chain whip?i jsut keep a length of old chain laying around...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #29515
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

On my GF's tri bike, I put a 12-27 in place of a 11-25. Giant is so cheap that there wasn't enough chain to bump up two lousy teeth. I totally get that a couple links times however many bikes saves money. But, WTF?! At least, allow some versatility for the end user. There aren't many women who can push a 53/11, or men, for that matter.
The only time I ever have to use that gear combination is when I hit ~35 mph, and there's only one place I can do that. Not much use for it otherwise.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #29516
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Here is this weeks effort. Had to stop and recover too many times to only get a mile further up the canyon than last week.

I wish I had lower gearing still but I will live with what I have for now.

I think next week I will take a break from the climbing and practice for the upcoming century ride around Utah lake.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #29517
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
It's easier/better to just bring a couple PBJs and some real food from home in your jersey pocket.

That's why they have those pockets on the back, man; it's a place to carry food, clothing and your water supplements.
My buddy carries EVERYTHING in his jersey pockets. No underseat bag for him once he joined a local club and they mocked it.

I love my seat bag and still throw a bento box on the top tube for anything above 50-60mi. It's a great place to keep the phone/wallet/keys so the food can stay in the pockets.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #29518
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

my hybrid came with a 11-32, combined with a 48-38-28 triple front. 28-32 is a ludicrous low gear for an around-town bike, and 48-11 is insanely high for any human. I replaced this with a 13-26 and am /way/ happier with my gearing (its an 8 speed rear, btw).
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #29519
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
My Roubaix is a compact. I went from Ultegra 12-25 to Ultegra 11-28 and didn't have to touch a thing other than swap the cassette. I don't use the 28 rear often, but I like having it when it's time to put it to work. I get a bit of use out of the 11 since I could spin out the 50-12 on the downhills on my commute. It's good for a few mph.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #29520
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Well there you go...... Worth a shot I guess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: