User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #29506
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,472
I noticed that my times are usually mid pack for times on climbs, with anywhere from 20-30 riders on each. There's two climbs that stood out to me. Both of them have over 80 riders recorded, and my times are in the bottom five on both. I finally looked at them and noticed all the times were from the same date. It appears there was a race held in the area last year, and both of those were on the route. There's certainly no threat of me ever being a bike racer.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #29507
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Over one year of commuting, zero flats

but now you know whats going to happen right?

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #29508
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Schwalbe makes some awesome tires. IIRC, I had zero flats commuting on my last set of Big Apples before they wore out. Now running the new version of the same tire.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #29509
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,225
Got out for 18 miles on a family member's CX bike today, legs and lungs were fine but the bike doesn't really fit me so my back, wrists and ass were sore after 15 miles or so.

Are Strava speeds remotely accurate? 47mph!? I knew I was hauling ass but damn. I wonder how well nylon MTB shorts do against pavement at those speeds.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #29510
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Are Strava speeds remotely accurate? 47mph!? I knew I was hauling ass but damn.
Strava displays the data supplied by your GPS, so the question is how accurate is your GPS? On roads, or when traveling in relatively straight lines, I've found my Garmin Edge 800 to be dead on when compared to a speedometer reading from a wheel sensor. For a while I had them mounted side by side to check for any discrepancy. When none materialized, I got rid of the speedometer. Mtb trails consisting of tight turns, and/or where different trail segments are in close proximity, are a different matter entirely.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #29511
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Over one year of commuting, zero flats

but now you know whats going to happen right?
+1. Absolutely bulletproof.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #29512
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,415
Little 90-ish min ride today on what I call my '4 Dirt Roads' loop. As the name implies, there's 4 sections of gravel on the route. None are more'n a bout a mile or two long. Snuck in a ride before heading to the shop to turn wrenches for people like Panda-boy that don't know enough to check their stuff.

For example. I get there at 1300 with a bike waiting for me. Strapped to the handlebars with mini bungee cords is a rechargeable light. ...like you get from Sears, NOT a bicycle light. Definitely bodged. So the boss sez 'this guy is a commuter. Let's try and take care of them...'

So I measured the chain the old fashioned way. Center of one link to the center of another link should be 12" exactly. If the chain goes over 12 1/8" its time for replacement. Weellll the chain had gone past 12 1/4". So I called the guy. 'You'll probably need a new cassette because the new chain will probably skip. blah blah blah.'

I get back 'well you just put a new cassette on 2mos ago!'

Since this chain's worn well past the limits, the new chain will probably skip. They wear together blah blah blah

Try putting on the chain.

Will do. It'll be ready in an hour or so (we get lots of walk-in stuff from the MUT that runs not 1/2mi away and I wanted to have time to get it done)

So I pull the old, dry as a bone chain off and toss it on the bench to measure the new one against the old. Hmmm I need 2 more links. So I pulled the usual 2 links off another new chain and added em on. (and co-incidentally installed that pre-shortened chain on another repair a little later )

Ticket's written for 'replace chain' and 'replace brake cable.' ...except the guy that wrote the ticket didn't remember WHICH cable needed it. (and I forgot to ask when telling the customer about his chain )

So he comes to get the bike and takes it out.

Comes back in. Front brakes are squealing and the rear isn't working at all. Every time I use the rear brake, the cable pops out. So THAT was the cable that needed replacing. Great. 'Don't you think you should adjust the pads when you install a new cable?' Eff you buddy! You just done crossed the line. No more above and beyond for your ungrateful ass. If you want a tune-up, check the bike in and wait like everyone else. While I *can* do a tune up in 20-30min, I'm NOT going to for the simple fact that there are 40-ish bikes in front of your sorry ass that don't want special treatment for their hybrid.

Now, I normally don't have a problem helping people out. I'll typically go above and beyond what the ticket calls for *if* the person is for lack of a better term 'nice.' This bike was worked. Derailleurs were coated in a layer of filth that took some serious scrubbing to get off. Brake pads weren't worn as far as Panda-boy's, but they were on the way.

Pointed out that he needed brake pads and was met with a 'I only ride 4mi each way! I don't need brake pads! What?! Were they cheap pads?!' OK you don't need pads. You're OBVIOUSLY the expert here.

Aaah well.

Oh, one clueless triathlete story. Woman comes in with her tri-bike in tow. I was riding my trainer () and the chain just got locked up! What did I do?!

So I looked the bike over. Not chain-sucked (common). No freehub body problems... Hey! What's this?! The cassette is a little wobbly on the body.

Tightened the lockring on the cassette and all's well. I was so dumbfounded over the complete cluelessness over the whole thing that I didn't even write up a repair ticket or charge her.

M
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #29513
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,828
^^^ I feel your pain, and the only other bike I work on is my wife's Bridgestone.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #29514
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Oh, one clueless triathlete story. Woman comes in with her tri-bike in tow. I was riding my trainer () and the chain just got locked up! What did I do?!

So I looked the bike over. Not chain-sucked (common). No freehub body problems... Hey! What's this?! The cassette is a little wobbly on the body.

Tightened the lockring on the cassette and all's well. I was so dumbfounded over the complete cluelessness over the whole thing that I didn't even write up a repair ticket or charge her.

M
Here's one from the other side of the counter. Friday I brought my tri-bike in to swap out the stock wheels for the Zipp 808's. The mechanic decides it would be best to swap out the cassette as well, rather than mixing and matching Shimano parts with SRAM parts. Saturday morning rolls around, and then I notice that the bike isn't shifting properly. At a certain point, the chain would just skip over the gear teeth without engaging. It turns out that the mechanic had flipped one of the gears around the wrong way when putting the Shimano cassette back together so that it was flush with the neighboring gear, leaving no space between them for the chain to fit into. So I called the shop to get it fixed, and was told they might have it back to me by the end of the day. Maybe. "That's not going to work for me," I said. "There's a Strava KOM waiting for me to claim it, and I've got to get out there before it gets too hot. This is serious business!" So he reluctantly agrees to bump my bike to the head of the line, but by the time I got it back, it was already mid morning and hotter than hell. The stifling heat sapped my energy and caused me to miss getting the KOM by ONE lousy second. All because the mechanic messed up my bike.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #29515
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,361
Learn to work on your own bike, and those problems disappear...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #29516
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Learn to work on your own bike, and those problems disappear...
Think of all the poor starving mechanics we'd be putting out on the street.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #29517
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Think of all the poor starving mechanics we'd be putting out on the street.
You have no clue how many on the spot flat fixes we do.

Call me a cheap SOB but $10 to put in a tube?!

M
Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #29518
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You have no clue how many on the spot flat fixes we do.

Call me a cheap SOB but $10 to put in a tube?!

M
The wife of one of my riding buddies is a bicycle racer. I noticed how perfectly manicured her fingernails were and asked her if she wasn't worried about breaking one if she had to fix a flat. She said, "I've never had to fix a flat in my life. I just wait for a man to come along and do it for me."

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #29519
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

TT racing - anyone here done it?

I just found out they're having monthly TT races in my area. I think I might give it a try. Judging by the photos, they're all a bunch of fat bastards. I think I could kick this guy's ass.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #29520
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,065
When I got involved with the local cycling scene in St Petersburg I would every now and then cross paths with an elderly gentleman of color. He was kind of portly I thought but good for him to continue pedaling. One day he was at my favorite bike shop when I showed up. He and a female riding partner were getting tubes or gels I forget. After they leave shop owner turns to me and says "Ever been in the same room with a rainbow stripes jersey holder"? No I say. "You have now that was Earl Henry" says shop owner.

don't judge a book by its cover as they say

http://www.usacycling.org/results/?compid=45449

zippy screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 07:15 AM
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: