ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 505 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #29521
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think it'll depend on the bike.

On my GF's tri bike, I put a 12-27 in place of a 11-25. Giant is so cheap that there wasn't enough chain to bump up two lousy teeth. I totally get that a couple links times however many bikes saves money. But, WTF?! At least, allow some versatility for the end user. There aren't many women who can push a 53/11, or men, for that matter.
do new bikes arrive at the bike shop with the chain already installed? or are they punched to length and installed by the bike assembler in the shop?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #29522
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,921
Thanks to all again! Went to performance bike today and picked up a chain whip, lock ring tool, a couple 25 oz water bottles and tablets. I'll order a cassette online in the next day or two. I spent a good 45 minutes talking to the mechanic there. It's funny how I had perceived PB to be the walmart of the biking world and tried all the LBS instead of going there, and end up with what appears to be the most knowledgeable and helpful mechanic at the big store. He gave me all kinds of helpful tips, and probably the best was to just bring my wheels up there and have him true them for me. I'll give a 28t a try for the rest of the year, and if it's still not enough, I'll change the derailleur and go even bigger. Or, I'll use this as an excuse to buy a second bike.

Unlike most, the three weeks the TdF is on, I pretty much take off from riding. It's the hottest part of the summer, I'm on vacation out of town for two of the weeks, and if I'm up in the morning, I want to watch it live. My bike will get a mid season tuneup and I'll get back at it in a few weeks.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #29523
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,828
And again,


Hot and windy. I burned through the first big bottle in about 35 minutes. Second one lasted about the same.
Stopped at the park to re-load.
Both bottles.
Took one and a half more to get back up the hill.

2 Chomps too. At about 40 minutes my leg was thinking about cramping. One Chomp put an end to that.
At 57 minutes Chomp number two took the call.

I'm real glad tomorrow is my rest day, or I'd be skipping riding a ride day.

Yes, I am tired. And sore. But, my back feels fine.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #29524
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
do new bikes arrive at the bike shop with the chain already installed? or are they punched to length and installed by the bike assembler in the shop?
Probably depends on the brand and/or bike. All the bikes I've unpacked had the chains installed.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #29525
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
my hybrid came with a 11-32, combined with a 48-38-28 triple front. 28-32 is a ludicrous low gear for an around-town bike, and 48-11 is insanely high for any human. I replaced this with a 13-26 and am /way/ happier with my gearing (its an 8 speed rear, btw).
When I was young dumb and full of piss and vinegar I rode a 52/11 even tried a fiddytree.

Directly related to that I now swapped out my 28 inner for a 22 with a 32 on the back and I'm fixing to downsize the other two chain rings as well.
__________________
On vacation for a spell
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #29526
kbasa
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 69,813
Bike nerds unite!
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #29527
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,779
This will be the last time I ride after sunset with a tinted visor.

__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #29528
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,779
Wtf??




__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #29529
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,189
Looks like the driveline and the fork/steerer were flipped.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #29530
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,189


New road sharing awareness campaign in Norway tackles the self-centered cyclist using the God of Thunder.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #29531
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,828
Nice!
They have a road sharing campaign going on here on the freeways for motorcycles and the rest.
Nobody sees me on the Adventure either. Must be I'm invisible.
Sure wish that had worked a few times on sportbikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
... New road sharing awareness campaign in Norway tackles the self-centered cyclist using the God of Thunder.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #29532
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Looks like the driveline and the fork/steerer were flipped.
guessing its just for giggles, maybe stunt riding. sure gonna have some awesome cornering clearances!
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #29533
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
guessing its just for giggles, maybe stunt riding. sure gonna have some awesome cornering clearances!

That bike must be brutal for a while, until the muscles get built. No sitting on that rig!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #29534
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
do new bikes arrive at the bike shop with the chain already installed? or are they punched to length and installed by the bike assembler in the shop?
already installed

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #29535
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Thanks to all again! Went to performance bike today and picked up a chain whip, lock ring tool, a couple 25 oz water bottles and tablets. I'll order a cassette online in the next day or two. I spent a good 45 minutes talking to the mechanic there. It's funny how I had perceived PB to be the walmart of the biking world and tried all the LBS instead of going there, and end up with what appears to be the most knowledgeable and helpful mechanic at the big store. He gave me all kinds of helpful tips, and probably the best was to just bring my wheels up there and have him true them for me. I'll give a 28t a try for the rest of the year, and if it's still not enough, I'll change the derailleur and go even bigger. Or, I'll use this as an excuse to buy a second bike.

Unlike most, the three weeks the TdF is on, I pretty much take off from riding. It's the hottest part of the summer, I'm on vacation out of town for two of the weeks, and if I'm up in the morning, I want to watch it live. My bike will get a mid season tuneup and I'll get back at it in a few weeks.
Since I work for PBS, its mostly true that they/we are THE 'big box store' in the cycling world. PBS aims at the newer cyclist, not the 'expert.' It shows in the equipment/clothing we sell.

Finding someone that knows WTF they're talking about is a hit/miss situation. Even in my shop. There's me, one other guy that knows his rear end from a hole in the ground, and a PTer that not only has an attitude, but his work sucks. I have to go re-check everything he does before it leaves the shop. I think even the store manager is taking official notice of the problem child.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015