Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #29521
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
When I got involved with the local cycling scene in St Petersburg I would every now and then cross paths with an elderly gentleman of color. He was kid of portly I thought but good for him to continue pedaling. One day he was at my favorite bike shop when I showed up. He and a female riding partner were getting tubes or gels I forget. After they leave shop owner turns to me and says "Ever been in the same room with a rainbow stripes jersey holder"? No I say. "You have now that was Earl Henry" says shop owner.

don't judge a book by its cover as they say

Lot of truth in this...

I race pretty regularly with a World RR champion. He's now 62 and will ride away from guys 1/3 his age. Extreme technical and strategic proficiency. Watching him race is like watching art in motion. When he makes his move, you better stick his wheel and hang on!

http://www.colibrisa.com/cycling3.html
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #29522
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,210
Quote:
When I got involved with the local cycling scene in St Petersburg I would every now and then cross paths with an elderly gentleman of color. He was kid of portly I thought but good for him to continue pedaling. One day he was at my favorite bike shop when I showed up. He and a female riding partner were getting tubes or gels I forget. After they leave shop owner turns to me and says "Ever been in the same room with a rainbow stripes jersey holder"? No I say. "You have now that was Earl Henry" says shop owner.

don't judge a book by its cover as they say

http://www.usacycling.org/results/?compid=45449
I've ridden with the guy in the picture. If he's as slow on a TT bike as he is on a mountain bike, I can guarantee you I won't be finishing last.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #29523
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday's TT race

Just checked the results of yesterday's time trials. Very encouraging.

Based on the average speeds posted, it looks like I could have won first place on my road bike, and finished a comfortable second on the TT bike. That's assuming there were no hill climbs involved, which I suck at.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #29524
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
nope at this point I ride to maintain sanity and some semblance of physical fitness.
Me too...my dick is small enough I don't feel the need to wave it around in public.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #29525
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,640
excellent.

nicely bent elbows, but his head is tipped back a bit; have you checked to make sure he doesn't have a visor or something else forcing him to tip his head up to look under it? (could even be the fit of his glasses,.. worth a check to avoid a pain in his neck later.)

also notice he's pretty much a brick in the saddle until the very end; can you encourage him to try to keep his pedals turning more, even when he's not trying to gain speed? keeping the pedals moving will keep him loose and better positioned to deal with bumps, and keep him from listing off to one side,...

i know, he's young; but best to try to build some of these practices early, since it looks like he's off to such a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
The younger boy turned 12 yesterday, and has been given the freedom to roll about. Here he's descending in the local city forest (click for vid):

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #29526
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Based on the average speeds posted, it looks like I could have won first place on my road bike, and finished a comfortable second on the TT bike. That's assuming there were no hill climbs involved, which I suck at.
I thought you didn't race though
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #29527
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I thought you didn't race though
These are time trials, no different than my Strava runs. Except there's a $25 prize for winning first place.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #29528
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,767
Yesterday was my first full day on the little magic pills that are reducing the swelling in my disc. They are working. The bad news is they make me drowsy. When I got home yesterday afternoon, semi-early, I decided to just lay down for a bit before going back out to the garage and check the tires on the bike and fill the waterbottles.

About an hour and a half later I woke, real groggy. So much for that ride.
More little pills, ice and laying around then bed, and up early this morning. The back is noticeably better. Tuesday morning it hurt bad enough I wasn't sure I'd be able to stay at work, let along try and get to the motorcycle and ride home.
I guess my work in the garage Sunday didn't help things.

Maybe tonight I can get that little spin in. As long as I don't push I can get by spinning and even work the hill seated with that third ring.

This is killing my averages.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #29529
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Eh? Strava terrorist

One of my friends was telling me the other day how much he hates Strava, and how he'd 'love to fuck it up for everyone.'

Looks like he's gone and done it. He's claimed a KOM while riding his mountain bike on a paved trail, posting an average speed of 29.5 mph over 4.2 miles, half of it uphill. That's 4.4 miles faster than a road racer managed it on his race bike.

Someone is bound to flag it sooner or later, but in the meantime I'll let him have his fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #29530
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Time to put up, or shut up.

mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #29531
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 953

Just getting into the road bike thing...trying to get out 3 or 4 days a week for 15-20 miles a ride. All riding solo until I get my fitness up... Averaging ~15mph but these N. Ga hills are a mother

Still not as fun as my first love...had her since '96

DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #29532
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post

Just getting into the road bike thing...trying to get out 3 or 4 days a week for 15-20 miles a ride. All riding solo until I get my fitness up... Averaging ~15mph but these N. Ga hills are a mother
[/IMG]
Welcome to the thread.

If you flip your bottles around and put the caps on, you'll have a better chance of staying hydrated.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #29533
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Time to put up, or shut up.

Just got an e-mail response from a TT racer who tells me the course they used is flat as a pancake. Perfect for me.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #29534
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,767

Welcome to the silliness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Welcome to the thread.

If you flip your bottles around and put the caps on, you'll have a better chance of staying hydrated.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #29535
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Welcome to the thread.

Good advice That is why I love ADV; folks are always willing to help
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: