User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #29536
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
When a couple of friends and I were riding to the beach one weekend we had this huge tail wind. I hit 38 mph on the flat on my mtb.
Of course the same tail wind pushed a fire west causing my wife and kids with the cats to evacuate our house. House was fine save a little ash and stinking like a nasty old BBQ.
No Strava back then and no GPS tracking on my part. I was still using the Droid and ANY GPS use back then would drain the battery in about an hour.
In order for me to aver age 15 mph over my usual ride along the trail and back up to the house I need to spend a lot of time at 18mph.
When I raced I could average 23 mph for hours with all the hills and traffic lights and stop signs. Of course that was a primitive cyclometer keeping track. Mileage was accurate and the clock only ran when the bike moved so it was a total of moving time not accounting for stopped at lights or for food and water. There had to be a lot of time at 28 mph in the big ring.
I've been in the big ring on the Roubaix three or four times in the almost three years I've owned it. That says a lot for my condition. I have not packed on mileage except for one good season and that didn't last long.
This year might see me back up to good fitness, and begin dropping weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
One of my friends was telling me the other day how much he hates Strava, and how he'd 'love to fuck it up for everyone.'

Looks like he's gone and done it. He's claimed a KOM while riding his mountain bike on a paved trail, posting an average speed of 29.5 mph over 4.2 miles, half of it uphill. That's 4.4 miles faster than a road racer managed it on his race bike.

Someone is bound to flag it sooner or later, but in the meantime I'll let him have his fun.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #29537
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,057
A useful site, that sells security bolts in sizes commonly used on bicycles. Both Torx and Allen, with pins in the middle of the head. I just replaced my wife's Brooks saddle after it was stolen, and I'm going to increase our odds of holding onto it with some of these.

http://www.bicyclebolts.com/collecti...ty-allen-bolts

Yes, I know that a savvy thief will also have the right wrenches to deal with these...
Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #29538
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,767
A huge effort

RAAM

2989.5 miles, 7 days, 22 hours, 52 minutes.

Christoph Strasser

Un-fucking-believable. I don't think it's final but it appears he beat the mileage and time records with this effort. The nearest competitor appears to be 250 miles or so behind him.

My friend Maria Parker was off her bike about 10-hours when her support van was rear-ended. She got back on the bike the next morning and has now passed every female rider and has picked off quite a few male riders.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #29539
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
RAAM

2989.5 miles, 7 days, 22 hours, 52 minutes.

Christoph Strasser

Un-fucking-believable. I don't think it's final but it appears he beat the mileage and time records with this effort. The nearest competitor appears to be 250 miles or so behind him.

My friend Maria Parker was off her bike about 10-hours when her support van was rear-ended. She got back on the bike the next morning and has now passed every female rider and has picked off quite a few male riders.
Hearing that about Maria is a hundred kinds of awesome.

Strasser:

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #29540
JBHD
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Besides riding my motorbike, I spend a lot of time riding this beast. Cotic Soul with full Sram X0 2x10, SID XX 120mm and some Hope and Easton goodies. Rides like a dream, too bad that we don't have any mountains here.. The local routes are nice though!

JBHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #29541
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Hearing that about Maria is a hundred kinds of awesome.

Strasser:
+1

I've got an acquaintance riding this right now:

http://tourdivide.org/

~2700 miles from Banff to southern New Mexico.

He's in 70th place. Totally self-supported, no SAG-wagons. They're 6 days in and some of the riders are on a 20-day pace. Utterly insane.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #29542
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Ultra-long distance riders are a little IMO. They're also more than a little tough.

For the mechanics on the panel: I want to make my commuter rig more gravel/forest service/fire road friendly. To this end, I'd like to run an 11-32 cassette. Will my Shimano 9-speed road shifters work with a Shimano 9-speed Shadow MTB rear der? I know the old direct mount derailleurs will work, but the only ones available now are Alivio, Acera, etc. I've got Tiagra on there now and don't want to go sideways or backwards quality-wise. Cost is another motivation, going 10-speed or switching to SRAM isn't in the budget.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #29543
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Ultra-long distance riders are a little IMO. They're also more than a little tough.

For the mechanics on the panel: I want to make my commuter rig more gravel/forest service/fire road friendly. To this end, I'd like to run an 11-32 cassette. Will my Shimano 9-speed road shifters work with a Shimano 9-speed Shadow MTB rear der? I know the old direct mount derailleurs will work, but the only ones available now are Alivio, Acera, etc. I've got Tiagra on there now and don't want to go sideways or backwards quality-wise. Cost is another motivation, going 10-speed or switching to SRAM isn't in the budget.
That depends on the ratio of the rear derailleur to the shifters. IIRC, Shimano road shifters are 1.5:1 whereas their MTB are 1:1 but I don't know if this holds true for all of their drivetrains... Gummee should chime in with more knowledge.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #29544
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,594
Another good ride for me.

I've stretched my hill ride once again. First ride with over 2k in elevation.
Not much flat on this route now, but I've been hitting some of the local bike stores web sites for ride suggestions and it looks like there's plenty of roads between the valley I went up today and the river which can really increase the ups and down.

My original hilly day route-

Today's ride, same beginning and end, with an additional 12 miles put in the middle.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #29545
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
....I want to make my commuter rig more gravel/forest service/fire road friendly. To this end, I'd like to run an 11-32 cassette. Will my Shimano 9-speed road shifters work with a Shimano 9-speed Shadow MTB rear der? I know the old direct mount derailleurs will work, but the only ones available now are Alivio, Acera, etc. I've got Tiagra on there now and don't want to go sideways or backwards quality-wise. Cost is another motivation, going 10-speed or switching to SRAM isn't in the budget.

No need for the goofy shadow units. You can still get a 'normal' Deore m591 9s rear derailleur as well as the LX t661. They call the LX a 'touring/trekking' derailleur now (?).

They will work just fine with your STI levers.

Fwiw for others with 10s STI road shifters, you can use any cheap/expensive (you pick) 8/9s mountain derailleur with those.

The 10s shimano mountain components do indeed have a different ratio for cable pull.

surly357 screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 08:08 PM
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #29546
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
+1

I've got an acquaintance riding this right now:

http://tourdivide.org/

~2700 miles from Banff to southern New Mexico.

He's in 70th place. Totally self-supported, no SAG-wagons. They're 6 days in and some of the riders are on a 20-day pace. Utterly insane.
I watched a documentary about that race or one that's similar. I'm not that tough.

Nice work, 'poser! That climb around mile 20 looks like a nice long effort.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #29547
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,977
You guys are making me jealous with all the riding you've been doing lately. I've spent more time on the trails with a chainsaw (clearing downed trees)and a pro hoe (building a new trail)the last couple of weeks than riding them.

This new flow trail is gonna be gnarly when its done.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #29548
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 506
Pinarello & New Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
So, I had a big write up and this POS Dell computer died again.

I'm not going into it again.
Went for another afternoon ride that I REALLY needed.
stupid iPhone and iPad won't connect to my wireless anymore at home. No idea why, just don't.

Sometimes I hate technology. It all seems so half-assed. Why can't this crap be like a Campangnolo Super Record Derailleur? Simple and beautiful.

Anyway the Strava crap:

I got some stuff done. My legs are sore, but my heart rate is not really up yet. Rode for a bit with a guy wearing an altitude mask. Weird deal looked like some British Zombie fighter.

That rest day thing works the trick for sure.

Still not really losing any weight, but I am stronger. Back isn't horrible either so I count that all in the win column.

Oh, and one other amazing bit of news; my new/old/original decals for the Pinarello showed up today. These are the correct bits. I've been searching high and low for these for the last 17 years or so. Finally found some when of course I was looking for something else and wandered into the eBay wasteland for a bit one Sunday afternoon, and low and behold there they were.

Now, I have to clean up that frame and get these on there. They won't bring back thirty years of legs but damn they are going to be nice.

I have a set for a post 1984 Pinarello too, that I got thinking they were right only to discover they weren't.
If anybody is interested, I could probably be talked out of them cheap.

This is what I ride now the Pinarello is in the back.

MONDONICO_GSXR_04

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #29549
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
You guys are making me jealous with all the riding you've been doing lately. I've spent more time on the trails with a chainsaw (clearing downed trees)and a pro hoe (building a new trail)the last couple of weeks than riding them.

This new flow trail is gonna be gnarly when its done.
Wow that's some serious camber!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #29550
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,139
wardrobe malfunction ?

Got in another 25 miles last night. Broke into a sweat just putting my shoes on ugh. About 3/4s into my ride I see a couple carrots up ahead. Looks like maybe a guy with his woman in his slipstream. They are cruising along a a good clip and I'm barely reeling them in. As I get closer I see it is two females front girl on hybrid back girl on drop bar road bike. They are both wearing yoga pants. As I prepare to pass the sun hits girl in the backs rearend and she has the see through pants with a black t-back on underneath.. Didn't check if front girl was see through or not, didn't want to be Aqualung.

I know the plumbing is different but that couldn't be comfortable, nice to look at butt
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: