Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 268 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #29581
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
This was something I misunderstood until I looked at more of the photos. I didn't realize they were being followed so closely by their support vehicle. Is that pretty standard for all of the riders or do any manage it without the vehicle?
My impression is that support is mandatory....I'm about 95% certain of that.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #29582
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
My impression is that support is mandatory....I'm about 95% certain of that.
Absolutely correct.

I believe it was Jay Petervary who rode the bicycle Iditarod dealio, the Great Divide MTB race, and RAAM all in the same year. RAAM disqualified him because he rode without support. That's OK. He's still the baddest cyclist on the planet.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #29583
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 506
Finally Back on the Bike

After a 5 month absence because of work got in a good ride, nice and hot here. Ranked 14th on the snake the descent to the Rock Store, riding a motorcycle makes for a better biker.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #29584
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,069
You guys work harder than I do, but sure I got a taste of it today... 75 miles on the San Francisco Randonneur's 115k ride (The Populaire) from Golden Gate Bridge to Point Reyes Station and back. About 5000 feet of climbing overall.

http://sfrandonneurs.org/summer-2013-115k-populaire.htm

I hit empty a couple of times, but just kept going, nibbling on some clif bars and drinking water, so much water. I'm ready for more. The SFR put on a great ride, and even FEED the riders at the end, so nice.

Lots of steel bikes, even a healthy batch of Rivendells, including one that was the twin to my Custom.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #29585
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,595
Todays fun......

Hills. Ugh. You guys can keep them.

Today I decided to go all in. Headed out to the big hills along the river valley. Why, some of them are so massive they are categorized!

Yeah, this one hurt. Damned near broke me. I was ready to call it in with ten miles to go. First screw up, I looked it up on strava and google maps and had anticipated a three hour 45 mile ride. Whoops. Second screw up, I passed through the one town with a place to buy any kind of drink or snack while in a rare spot of feeling fresh, so didn't stop and top off my bottles, or buy an extra snack. I paid for that later at the end of the ride.
Good karma for the day - found a rider who got separated from her group ride. No phone, no map, no idea where she was. I asked where she needed to get and took her to the end of to the road that would take her back there. Just a mile or so out of my way, but it was the first temptation point to bail on the ride and just head back in. I turned around, went back up the hill I didn't have to come down and got back on track.
Stupid move of the day - descending one of the steep, lane and a half wide rural roads, I come up on a bobcat tractor parked in the middle of the road. Plenty of room on both sides for a bike, so I only slow down a little and zoom right on past. Just as I get next to it, I realize the farmer is actually about 15 feet in front of it with his chainsaw in the process of dropping a dead tree that is going to fall right across the road! No time to stop, and thankfully my timing was good enough that it wasn't in the process of falling already. I didn't bother slowing down or looking back at that point, so have no idea how close I cut it. Sad part is, I heard the damned chainsaw for a good quarter mile before I got there and it just never registered that it had anything to do with a tractor blocking the road.

Today, I found my limit. it's anything over 6% grade that's more than a 1/4 mile long. Anything more than that, and I just don't have the power or correct gearing for it. The big climb at mile 35 was .8 miles at 10%+ grade. I can honestly say that is the most I've ever sweated in my life. I made it without stopping, but had nothing left in my tank after that. I run a compact crank, 50/34, and my rear is a 10-26. I don't know if that should be acceptable for hills like that and I'm just a weakling, or if changing out to something better suited is called for. Or really wuss out and go back to a triple like my Jamis had. I won't be tackling that, or the one descent I did that was a 12% grade until I change something.
The last three hills were a matter of convincing myself as soon as I got over the top, I would stop and ask anyone I could find for water, then take the flattest route home possible. After the last hill, I finally broke down and with two miles to go, took a half mile detour on the bike trail to get to a drinking fountain. I poured the first two bottle fulls over my head and drank one before getting back on the bike and rode the slowest two miles home evar.
Out of curiosity, when I got home, cooled off and went to hop in the shower, I stepped on the scale. It's part of my morning routine every day, so I knew where I had been when I woke up. Add breakfast, a couple bottles of poweraid, two PB&J sammiches on the ride, and a 24oz bottle of V8 when I got home, and I still managed to have sweated out 4.8 lbs on the ride.
It may be a bit before I decide to take that on again.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #29586
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Awesome rides Motocicletta, Andrew, and ImAPoser!

Today's frivolity? The inaugural Castle Crags Century.

As Mt. Shasta is only about an hour's drive north of me, I'm a little ashamed to admit that this was my first time riding in the area. The scenery and roads make all the climbing worth it. The entire event was very well organized and executed. Hard to believe that this was the first one.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #29587
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The "wilds of Herndon"? When I lived in Reston as a child, I can remember going to the hardware store in Herndon with the parents. They had peacocks roaming the main street and there weren't any roads wider than 2 lanes. This was the late 70's. Rt7 was a rural backroad in that era too. It was a clogged 4 lane highway last time I drove it in the 90's. Does it have bike lanes on it now?
Not really any bike lanes you'd want to ride on anyway. There's a separate bike path along the side of the roads we're on, but its more for 'Mom, Pop, and/or little kids' kind of riding and/or walking the dog. Doing 40mph down em isn't gonna happen.

I had to channel my inner Jens a lot yesterday. Starting at about the halfway point of the race. Legs felt like complete poo. That ride on Thurs night didn't do me any favors.

IOW the Hilly Billy Roubaix was the hardest thing I've done on a bicycle in a looonnnnngggggg time. Officially my time was 5:56. My riding buddy beat me across the line by 4 min.

Found out a few things:
1. I need to ride more mountains. There's some long AND steep hills in West-by-doG that I wasn't ready for!

2. run a 12-30 (or bigger) cassette no matter what your ego says.

3. Bring 2 bottles of liquid with you. Its a longer ways/time between stops than the 20, 38, and 58mi on the ride email would suggest. I *thought* I could get by with just one big bottle. Wrong answer private! I had to beg a bottle from some corner workers. Filled up again at an unofficial stop between stops 2 and 3. Thank doG for volunteers! I woulda been in a world of hurt without em. Its an amazing feeling going from 'I'm just about out of water and there's another 8mi left to ride to the next stop' to 'I can make it!'

4. You can remain upright on your bicycle at 4kph.

More later.

M
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #29588
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,482
Seeing some serious effort out here. 'Poser, I roll with a 12-30, but I'm pretty tightly focused on climbing this year. I don't know if I could get up a 10% with a 26, to be honest, so don't feel bad at all.

Yesterday, we were down on the peninsula, starting on the east side of the mountains. We rode up and over Page Mill, then down Alpine, over Pescadero Creek Road, around the coast and back up and over Skyline via Tunitas Creek and King Mountain Road. There were plenty of Cat 2,3 and 4 climbs.

The climb up Tunitas Creek had long stretches of 15%+, but man, oh man, it was beautiful. It cuts up through a giant redwood grove that's back in this little valley. The road just goes up and up with switchbacks on switchbacks, but once you hit the ridgeline at the top, you get to traverse it. When we got to the top at Skyline, the first thing I saw go by was an old black Cobra. Oh, hell yeah.

And a first for roadkill for me: a bobcat. Also, a red headed woodpecker of some type. If there's one thing I've seen a lot of while training, it's roadkill.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #29589
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Found out a few things:
1. I need to ride more mountains. There's some long AND steep hills in West-by-doG that I wasn't ready for!

2. run a 12-30 (or bigger) cassette no matter what your ego says.

3. Bring 2 bottles of liquid with you. Its a longer ways/time between stops than the 20, 38, and 58mi on the ride email would suggest. I *thought* I could get by with just one big bottle. Wrong answer private! I had to beg a bottle from some corner workers. Filled up again at an unofficial stop between stops 2 and 3. Thank doG for volunteers! I woulda been in a world of hurt without em. Its an amazing feeling going from 'I'm just about out of water and there's another 8mi left to ride to the next stop' to 'I can make it!'

4. You can remain upright on your bicycle at 4kph.

More later.

M

Welcome to my world. I've been rolling with two 25oz Camelbak insulated bottles and they're the best solution for me ever. I never run out of water and it stays cool. They're tall, so if you get them, check to make sure they'll fit in your seat post cage.

I carry one of those dorky top tube bags, but it lets me add fuel while riding. On the way up Tunitas Creek, I had chocolate covered pretzels from the Bike Hut in there. Salty, chocolatey crunchy. The Bike Hut. Best invention ever.

And yeah, all the guys on my team are rolling 12-30, 11-29, 12-32 and one guy's rolling a 12-34. I was thinking 12-32, but I'd have to replace my rear derailleur with one with a longer cage.

Going up Fort Ross Road a few weeks ago, I learned that I can ride my bike at 2.1mph and not fall over.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #29590
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

Welcome to my world. I've been rolling with two 25oz Camelbak insulated bottles and they're the best solution for me ever. I never run out of water and it stays cool. They're tall, so if you get them, check to make sure they'll fit in your seat post cage.

I carry one of those dorky top tube bags, but it lets me add fuel while riding. On the way up Tunitas Creek, I had chocolate covered pretzels from the Bike Hut in there. Salty, chocolatey crunchy. The Bike Hut. Best invention ever.

And yeah, all the guys on my team are rolling 12-30, 11-29, 12-32 and one guy's rolling a 12-34. I was thinking 12-32, but I'd have to replace my rear derailleur with one with a longer cage.

Going up Fort Ross Road a few weeks ago, I learned that I can ride my bike at 2.1mph and not fall over.

The bike I was riding doesn't have one cage mount, much less TWO of em. So I made do with what I had to work with. The strap on cage holder doesn't hold on well on gravel descents, so I x-ferred the bottle from the cage to my pocket every time I hit dirt.

Compact rings rawk. I don't think I could've gotten up some of them hills without one. 34x27 was still too big for some stuff. I'm a spinner, not a masher. Didn't want to buy a cassette for one ride... Now I know better!

My riding buddy got off and walked more'n a few times. Only time I walked was one hill in the very beginning when every other swinging richard was off and walking and there wasn't room to get by em all.

M
Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #29591
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My riding buddy got off and walked more'n a few times. Only time I walked was one hill in the very beginning when every other swinging richard was off and walking and there wasn't room to get by em all.

M
I saw that on AMBBR on the climb to Emerald Bay. All the flat landers were diving off their bikes right in the middle of the road. Also saw it on Levi Leipheimer's Gran Fondo on the big King Ridge climb. Some folks were straight up falling over and some were jumping off. It was total mayhem in either case.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #29592
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
You guys work harder than I do, but sure I got a taste of it today... 75 miles on the San Francisco Randonneur's 115k ride (The Populaire) from Golden Gate Bridge to Point Reyes Station and back. About 5000 feet of climbing overall.

http://sfrandonneurs.org/summer-2013-115k-populaire.htm

I hit empty a couple of times, but just kept going, nibbling on some clif bars and drinking water, so much water. I'm ready for more. The SFR put on a great ride, and even FEED the riders at the end, so nice.

Lots of steel bikes, even a healthy batch of Rivendells, including one that was the twin to my Custom.

I know those roads! What an awesome ride that was!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #29593
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,775
RAAm, Maria has finished!

Official time: 11 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes. Way to go Maria!

Keep in mind that about 23 hours of that was dealing with her support van being destroyed. Sure, technically speaking, she didn't have to stop but she did what any sensible human being would do.

Any now, she's finished one of the toughest cycling events! One word: champion!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #29594
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,243
Hot ride

Went out and did 30 miles today, just to see if I could stand riding in the blistering Florida heat. Definitely doable, but it really sapped my strength.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #29595
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Hills. Ugh. You guys can keep them.

Today I decided to go all in. Headed out to the big hills along the river valley. Why, some of them are so massive they are categorized!

Yeah, this one hurt. Damned near broke me. I was ready to call it in with ten miles to go. First screw up, I looked it up on strava and google maps and had anticipated a three hour 45 mile ride. Whoops. Second screw up, I passed through the one town with a place to buy any kind of drink or snack while in a rare spot of feeling fresh, so didn't stop and top off my bottles, or buy an extra snack. I paid for that later at the end of the ride.
Good karma for the day - found a rider who got separated from her group ride. No phone, no map, no idea where she was. I asked where she needed to get and took her to the end of to the road that would take her back there. Just a mile or so out of my way, but it was the first temptation point to bail on the ride and just head back in. I turned around, went back up the hill I didn't have to come down and got back on track.
Stupid move of the day - descending one of the steep, lane and a half wide rural roads, I come up on a bobcat tractor parked in the middle of the road. Plenty of room on both sides for a bike, so I only slow down a little and zoom right on past. Just as I get next to it, I realize the farmer is actually about 15 feet in front of it with his chainsaw in the process of dropping a dead tree that is going to fall right across the road! No time to stop, and thankfully my timing was good enough that it wasn't in the process of falling already. I didn't bother slowing down or looking back at that point, so have no idea how close I cut it. Sad part is, I heard the damned chainsaw for a good quarter mile before I got there and it just never registered that it had anything to do with a tractor blocking the road.

Today, I found my limit. it's anything over 6% grade that's more than a 1/4 mile long. Anything more than that, and I just don't have the power or correct gearing for it. The big climb at mile 35 was .8 miles at 10%+ grade. I can honestly say that is the most I've ever sweated in my life. I made it without stopping, but had nothing left in my tank after that. I run a compact crank, 50/34, and my rear is a 10-26. I don't know if that should be acceptable for hills like that and I'm just a weakling, or if changing out to something better suited is called for. Or really wuss out and go back to a triple like my Jamis had. I won't be tackling that, or the one descent I did that was a 12% grade until I change something.
The last three hills were a matter of convincing myself as soon as I got over the top, I would stop and ask anyone I could find for water, then take the flattest route home possible. After the last hill, I finally broke down and with two miles to go, took a half mile detour on the bike trail to get to a drinking fountain. I poured the first two bottle fulls over my head and drank one before getting back on the bike and rode the slowest two miles home evar.
Out of curiosity, when I got home, cooled off and went to hop in the shower, I stepped on the scale. It's part of my morning routine every day, so I knew where I had been when I woke up. Add breakfast, a couple bottles of poweraid, two PB&J sammiches on the ride, and a 24oz bottle of V8 when I got home, and I still managed to have sweated out 4.8 lbs on the ride.
It may be a bit before I decide to take that on again.
You seem to be making excellent progress. I can't push the kind of gearing you have up hills either. I don't have any hills to train on and my knees are bad from so much surgery. I have dumped over 5 pounds on rides in the summer heat down here.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: