User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #29611
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Man reading this thread for the past 4 weeks has been killing me... Docs said i cant ride right now due to health complications....hopefully they will clear me at my next appointment next monday, so i can get back in shape for the 450mi week i am signed up for in 6 weeks...
bogieboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #29612
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,472
Thanks for all the encouraging feedback. I was worried it was just me when I saw I set a new slowest time for two of the climbs on strava. Of course, there's only a handful of times on there, and seeing how they are 30 miles out of town, I guess it takes a certain kind of idiot to head out there just to ride up a hill to see if they can do it.
So, I looked in to it a bit more, and I've got a 11-26. It looks like I can go up to a 28 before having to replace my derailleur, so something 12-28 will most likely be ordered. First question, is that going to be enough of a difference to notice? Second, is it an easy, find the you tube video and do it myself swap? Third, what kind of life span do gears and chains have? I'm at about 3k miles on it, should I be considering changing front and chain as well?
I'd love to get the right gearing and attempt some longer grades as it seems once I get my heart rate up and my breathing going, I can spin out a decent rhythm and just chug along. It was only when it got too steep to be able to spin my littlest gear I got myself in trouble.
As for hydration and food on a ride, these last couple rides were the first time I've ever done more than take two water bottles and go. These routes do not lend themselves to many stops, and after this last one, I think I learned my lesson about not refilling when I had the chance. I've got two 21 oz bottles. If there's bigger ones out there, I'm going to go buy them. So far, I've stuck with a couple pb&j sandwiches in a back pocket and filling the water bottles with power aid. I may have to look in to more specific energy bars or drinks if I'm going to keep this up. And maybe, just maybe try to hook up with some of the other cyclist I see out on the road. I just never had as good of a time riding in a group on motorcycles as solo, so have never been willing to give it a try on the bicycle.
Oh yeah, who can tell me about wheel truing? Is it a do it at home project? I noticed I've got a bit of side to side runout in my front rim. Nothing like crappy chip sealed secondary roads to beat the hell out of a set of wheels.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #29613
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Thanks for all the encouraging feedback. I was worried it was just me when I saw I set a new slowest time for two of the climbs on strava. Of course, there's only a handful of times on there, and seeing how they are 30 miles out of town, I guess it takes a certain kind of idiot to head out there just to ride up a hill to see if they can do it.
So, I looked in to it a bit more, and I've got a 11-26. It looks like I can go up to a 28 before having to replace my derailleur, so something 12-28 will most likely be ordered. First question, is that going to be enough of a difference to notice? Second, is it an easy, find the you tube video and do it myself swap? Third, what kind of life span do gears and chains have? I'm at about 3k miles on it, should I be considering changing front and chain as well?
I'd love to get the right gearing and attempt some longer grades as it seems once I get my heart rate up and my breathing going, I can spin out a decent rhythm and just chug along. It was only when it got too steep to be able to spin my littlest gear I got myself in trouble.
As for hydration and food on a ride, these last couple rides were the first time I've ever done more than take two water bottles and go. These routes do not lend themselves to many stops, and after this last one, I think I learned my lesson about not refilling when I had the chance. I've got two 21 oz bottles. If there's bigger ones out there, I'm going to go buy them. So far, I've stuck with a couple pb&j sandwiches in a back pocket and filling the water bottles with power aid. I may have to look in to more specific energy bars or drinks if I'm going to keep this up. And maybe, just maybe try to hook up with some of the other cyclist I see out on the road. I just never had as good of a time riding in a group on motorcycles as solo, so have never been willing to give it a try on the bicycle.
Oh yeah, who can tell me about wheel truing? Is it a do it at home project? I noticed I've got a bit of side to side runout in my front rim. Nothing like crappy chip sealed secondary roads to beat the hell out of a set of wheels.
I'll let the bike mechanics talk about the gearing, but I'll talk about food.

PBJ sandwiches are great. A guy on my team carries some kind of avocado, banana peanut butter sandwich thing. Your body will digest that a heck of a lot more easily than PowerBars. If you do carry bars, try to find some that are made out of actual food, not extruded goo. Kind Bars work great. You can also carry a snack sized bag of nuts, beef jerky, bananas, pretzels, just about anything that's calorie and carbohydrate dense.

For fluids, I carry one bottle with CytoMax and another with Nuun. YOu can carry Nuun tablets in your jersey pocket, which means you can find a faucet and mix your own. That Powerade/Gatorade/etc. just have a ton of shit your body really doesn't need. You just want the electrolytes. If you'd like, just carry some sea salt and put a pinch in your water bottle when you fill it. YOu won't taste it and you'll be giving your body what it needs.

I like to use CytoMax because it has potassium in it. If you'd like, carry a banana or two; they're rich in potassium, which helps your body convert sugars into energy. The electrolytes help your body move sugars from your bloodstream to your muscles so you can use them.

You should be consuming about 48 oz. every two hours. Every team I've seen someone hve trouble this season, it was because they were dehydrated. I always take advantage of water opportunities right around mile 20. If my bottles are half full, I'll dump them and refill with Nuun and CytoMax at the right proportions. This is crucial.

I'm using two 25oz. insulated Camelbak bottles. I freaking love them.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #29614
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Swapping a cassette is easy, so long as you have the right tools. You'll need a chain whip and the appropriate lockring tool, but after that it is easy peasy. As for truing, you need a stand for that so thus far I've paid for wheel work. I bet it would be less than $20 to true your front wheel at a shop.

Learning to eat on a ride is something I need to work on. I've never ate in the middle of a ride, granted I haven't done many rides over 20 miles yet. I like the idea of liquid calories.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #29615
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Swapping a cassette is easy, so long as you have the right tools. You'll need a chain whip and the appropriate lockring tool, but after that it is easy peasy. As for truing, you need a stand for that so thus far I've paid for wheel work. I bet it would be less than $20 to true your front wheel at a shop.

Learning to eat on a ride is something I need to work on. I've never ate in the middle of a ride, granted I haven't done many rides over 20 miles yet. I like the idea of liquid calories.
It's easier/better to just bring a couple PBJs and some real food from home in your jersey pocket.

That's why they have those pockets on the back, man; it's a place to carry food, clothing and your water supplements.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #29616
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Got out for a short one tonight. Wind sucks.

Better hydration through the day and not so hot. I like going east first. The construction and different wildlife make it interesting.
Saw a big long brown snake on Sunday. No idea what it was, other than that. Neither of us slowed down to take a good look.

I'm guessing it was a "Racer". Fitting I guess for being on the bike trail. Wonder if I can follow him on Strava?

Mr Head screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 08:27 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #29617
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
So, I looked in to it a bit more, and I've got a 11-26. It looks like I can go up to a 28 before having to replace my derailleur, so something 12-28 will most likely be ordered.
You can go all the way to a 12-30 with a short cage rear der.

Quote:
First question, is that going to be enough of a difference to notice?
Yes
Quote:
Second, is it an easy, find the you tube video and do it myself swap?
If you have the tools, its cake.
Quote:
Third, what kind of life span do gears and chains have? I'm at about 3k miles on it, should I be considering changing front and chain as well?
The answer is 'yes.' Depends on how you ride, where you ride (dirt, roads, etc), and how often you clean things.

[quote] I may have to look in to more specific energy bars or drinks if I'm going to keep this up. And maybe, just maybe try to hook up with some of the other cyclist I see out on the road. I just never had as good of a time riding in a group on motorcycles as solo, so have never been willing to give it a try on the bicycle. [quote]Riding a bicycle is essentially a community pastime. You can while away many hours chatting about not a whole lot with your riding buddies.

afa food: I bring stuff I have in the house. Oreos. PB crackers. Nanners. Fig Newtons. etc I haven't bought 'energy food' in ages. I accumulated some gels lately. They're OK but I like my PB crackers. Ritz are better than the off-brands.

Quote:
Again, if you have the tools, it isn't hard. Takes some fiddling and messing up a bunch of wheels () to get good at it, but it isn't anything more than 'righty tighty, left loosey.'

afa water: plan on a small bottle/hr if it isn't blazing hot out. Big bottle/hr if its warm-ish. 2 bottles/hr if you can manage it. Some folks can't. I typically don't drink anything but water for rides less than 3hrs. I actually don't typically eat anything on rides less than 3hrs either, but that's me. I'm still trying to get rid of these last 10-15#. It ain't working. Probably would if I actually watched what I ate off the bike.

M
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #29618
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
I'm still trying to get rid of these last 10-15#. It ain't working. Probably would if I actually watched what I ate off the bike.
You and me both. Portion control is my problem, my stomach takes too damned long to tell my brain that it's full. I think my climbing would really improve if I could get under 200 lbs. (210 now)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #29619
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
You and me both. Portion control is my problem, my stomach takes too damned long to tell my brain that it's full. I think my climbing would really improve if I could get under 200 lbs. (210 now)

force yourself to eat slower, savor each bite.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #29620
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
force yourself to eat slower, savor each bite.
Humph. For me anyway, its either shove it in my gullet or I don't get to eat.

...and not snacking seems to be helping.

M
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #29621
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermane View Post
does anyone here ride a bmx?
earlier this year two mates and myself rode bmx's from christ church to queenstown.

set our bikes up like this.

unpacked haha.
That's what I'm talkin' bout!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #29622
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Pretty much what gummee said, but you WILL have to replace your chain if it has the correct tension right now. The addition of two teeth will make it to tight. You can fudge it if you go bigger in the rear and smaller in the front, but chains are pretty cheap......
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #29623
kbasa
Colnago!

I dunno. I went to a 12-30 with just a cassette change.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #29624
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I dunno. I went to a 12-30 with just a cassette change.
I think it'll depend on the bike.

On my GF's tri bike, I put a 12-27 in place of a 11-25. Giant is so cheap that there wasn't enough chain to bump up two lousy teeth. I totally get that a couple links times however many bikes saves money. But, WTF?! At least, allow some versatility for the end user. There aren't many women who can push a 53/11, or men, for that matter.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #29625
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
So, I looked in to it a bit more, and I've got a 11-26. It looks like I can go up to a 28 before having to replace my derailleur, so something 12-28 will most likely be ordered.
I've got a SRAM PG1050 cassette with 11-28 gearing if you're interested. It has maybe 1000 miles on it, if that. PM me if you want it. Replaced it with a 12-32 and now the real climbs are no problem.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: