Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #2956
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Still didn't like driving to go riding.
There's no shame in doing that around here. I drive to to the base of Mt Elden all the time to go ride up there. Riding a SS mtn bike up 180 is not easy, dangerous, and boring.
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #2957
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker
There's no shame in doing that around here. I drive to to the base of Mt Elden all the time to go ride up there. Riding a SS mtn bike up 180 is not easy, dangerous, and boring.
THAT's why I have a cross bike!! Ride to the ride. Ride the ride. Ride home.

Used to ride up to the bottom of Brush Mtn from B-burg... 30-ish min just to get to the bottom of the hill. Up the hill. Down the hill. Across to Pandapas Pond. Up the hill. Down the hill. Home. All on a 30# Rockhopper with zero suspension! Them were the days! Aaaahhhh memories! I was LOTS better in memories than I really was in real life... Amazing how that works!

'Course, them trails is why my shoulders are fucked up. Get going too fast, slow down just enough to stiff-arm trees to slow down before you REALLY go boom. Jacked my shit up I tell ya! Still had lots and lots of tho! Woot!

Right now I've got this vivid picture in my head of a specific dropoff at the bottom of one of the trails... Its already pretty farging steep, then you get to what looks like a 6' dropoff/wall. Ya gotta get that ass over the rear tire or you'll endo! Got Ground Control skidmarks on my shorts that day! Added braking by pucker factor! Made it.

...and that was ~ halfway thru the ride!

M
Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #2958
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Pulled the triiger on a size large orange Blur LT today, should be here on friday or sat as they had one in stock in santa cruz. Way better suspension then my old fisher, should be a kick in the ass on these rocky trails in the park in chico.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #2959
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Pulled the triiger on a size large orange Blur LT today, should be here on friday or sat as they had one in stock in santa cruz. Way better suspension then my old fisher, should be a kick in the ass on these rocky trails in the park in chico.
Sweet. congrats. post pics when it arrives!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #2960
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I have an issue driving to go riding. IF (and there are at the moment) off-road trails within riding distance of the house, that's what I'd rather do. One of the reasons I stopped mtn biking. Moved from B-burg to NoVA and the 'good trails' were HOURS away. Screw that! I'll ride the road instead. So I did. For lotsa years.

Now, I have a buncha FS roads in my backyard to explore (once I get over this cold!) on the cross bike. No traffic. No asshats in cages giving me shite. Should be a lot of fun! Now if only I wasn't so fat and outta shape... Oh well. I HAVE a pair of rollers here, I just don't ride em.

M
I enjoyed riding in Wisconsin. There's a bike trail, compact gravel, that runs from Milwaukee to Madison. My daughter and I were able to ride the 70 mile trail, stay at a motel, and then continue on to the Wisconsin Dells via some fairly quiet side roads. I wish there was something like that around Houston.
RobZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #2961
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,598
Hey guys, I remember this question coming up, but forgot the answer.

I've been told that a set of Campy or Sram shifters won't work with Shimano comps....but as far as shifters go (I need a set for my new rig when it's built) I wonder why?

I would think it would be the opposite (shimano shifters not working with Camp/Sram derailleurs.

I'll have Shimano comps, but the Dura Ace shifters are way too $$, have seen great deals on some Campy Ultra shifters for almost half the price, same with Sram's.

ANy thoughts?

Thanks - (off to work but will respond tonight)
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #2962
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,443
Cool2

How many speed cassette are you using?
What are the front and rear derailleurs?
What kind of chain?

Shifter/derailleur compatibility is also highly depended on above factors.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #2963
achiral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Hey guys, I remember this question coming up, but forgot the answer.

I've been told that a set of Campy or Sram shifters won't work with Shimano comps....but as far as shifters go (I need a set for my new rig when it's built) I wonder why?

I would think it would be the opposite (shimano shifters not working with Camp/Sram derailleurs.

I'll have Shimano comps, but the Dura Ace shifters are way too $$, have seen great deals on some Campy Ultra shifters for almost half the price, same with Sram's.

ANy thoughts?

Thanks - (off to work but will respond tonight)
The shifters pull a different amount of cable per shift detent, the rear derailleur parallelogram requires different cable pull to move a certain distance, and rear cog spacing is also slightly different. Off-hand, I can't tell you what the numbers are, especially for the SRAM equipment.

You may be able to find out some way to mix and match. The problem is that since 10-speed gearing is so finely spaced, it is very easy to have chain-cog alignment issues and poor shifting.

Campy and Shimano used to have about a 0.4mm spacing difference between cogs on 9 speed drivetrains. That 0.4mm propagates the more cogs off you are; by the time you have shifted four gears, you have a 2mm offset and associated poor shifting even with a floating derailleur pulley.
achiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #2964
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiral
The shifters pull a different amount of cable per shift detent, the rear derailleur parallelogram requires different cable pull to move a certain distance, and rear cog spacing is also slightly different. Off-hand, I can't tell you what the numbers are, especially for the SRAM equipment.

You may be able to find out some way to mix and match. The problem is that since 10-speed gearing is so finely spaced, it is very easy to have chain-cog alignment issues and poor shifting.

Campy and Shimano used to have about a 0.4mm spacing difference between cogs on 9 speed drivetrains. That 0.4mm propagates the more cogs off you are; by the time you have shifted four gears, you have a 2mm offset and associated poor shifting even with a floating derailleur pulley.
There's ways to bodge things together, but at minimum you'll need a set of shifters and rear derailleur for whatever system yer gonna use.

Buddy of mine had Record 10 stuff on his bike when it flew off the roof rack. Didn't get the rear wheel rebuilt in time, so I tossed in a Shimano 9sp wheel 'just to see what'd happen.' He lost a gear, but it shifted fine. I've been meaning to do this 'cause Campy cassettes and chains are SPEN-DEE!

I also hear that you can get 10sp Shimano shifters, cassette, & chain and it'll work with S9 rear derailleurs, etc. Haven't tried this yet.

SRAM only works with SRAM 'cause they've got a proprietary amount of cable pull.

Good luck!

M
Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #2965
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
I think Sheldon Brown has a section on this whole subject on his site.

RW
Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #2966
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
I think Sheldon Brown has a section on this whole subject on his site.
isn't his stuff mostly retro/old school? everything you never wanted to know about Sturmey Archer, etc etc?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #2967
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
Gummee, when I ran campy 10 I used Sram chains, worked great. I'm not even sure what Perry's question is... but I bet someone here has the answer, we'll just need a bit more detail.

I haven't had a chance to try the Sram road stuff yet but I sure would like to, I've heard nothing but good things about it and it seemd to hold up really well on the cross circuit this past season. The truth is it's all damn good stuff.....I just wish my bikes would arrive here, I'm going crazy to ride but 'stuff' has been held up in customs...

wait, someone is knoking at the door...............

hmmmm

what's this........?

oooh oooh ooooh! boxes, lots of boxes!

I gotta go get the kids from school....more pics later............
Old 03-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #2968
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Hey Plan B,

Where's the 'Plan B in NZ' report you promised?

Flaco
Old 03-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #2969
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B
Gummee, when I ran campy 10 I used Sram chains, worked great. I'm not even sure what Perry's question is... but I bet someone here has the answer, we'll just need a bit more detail.

First off, thanks guys for all the advice.

I'll try and fine tune my question. I've got Shimano Dura Ace rear derailleur, chain, and 10 speed cassette, with a Shimano Ultegra front derailleur.

I've got a set of Dura Ace shifters, but the left hand is a Triple, which I never liked using with a double chainring (too much adjusting/trimming).

I'd like to get a set of double shifters but the Dura Ace doubles are really pricey, so are the Ultegra set (shifters). But I've seen great deals on the Campy shifters, and some Sram shifters, so I was wondering if I could mate what I have, with either of them (Sram of Campy).

Doesn't sound like a great idea though, does it (?)
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #2970
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,032
ah for the days of friction shifters and 5 speed clusters.

fwak, who needs more than 8 or so usable gears??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: