User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #29686
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,854
Got home last night fairly tired form the day. Left work later than I'd planned so the traffic was epic.
Got off the freeway for the back roads and stopped by the LBS for food for the next week.
Damn this stuff is expensive. But, it works for me so I pay. Looked at helmets and shoes.
$250 for the Giro. Ouch! At least it's not the motorcycle helmet I wear that is breaking $600.
Shoes, I'm waffling on. I like the Specialized mtb for road, but I've been considering powermeters lately.

I'm going to have to get some research done.

Anyway, got home, fed the cat, ice and water into bottles and what the heck; headed east on the trail. Light spin I figured.
Loosen things up and break a little sweat.
Got that done.
Strava tape:

When I got home my wife was home so we decided to order pizza and chill. Watched MotoGP qualifying off the iPad to the big screen. Amazing!

Later night began with the late getting out of work, then home.
Sat in the hot pool for a bit, real late and finally to bed before midnight.

Not the best start to a big ride early the next day.

... This morning I woke late for me, way late. At 7. Hmm, down and make a cup of coffee, feed the cat, fire up the steel cut oats on the stove and stream morning warm up for MotoGP on the iPad while I cook.

By the time I got the oats done, I could stream the MotoGP race. Wow! That was a race.
Excellent.
Once the house is up and eating I go out to the sticky warm garage and clean up the bike. Lube the chain and back inside to gear up. Water bottles iced the back one is full of ice and a nuun at the bottom, with water taking up any room.

When I 'd come downstairs I'd rolled the slider open to check on the weather. While it wasn't the pizza oven Phoenix is or the breathing through a warm wet towel Houston is, it was warmer than usual for this time of day and plenty humid.

I was pretty sure my ride to the beach was going to use up whatever I had in the tank.
Round trip is about 55 miles or so. Trouble was I only brought bullets enough for 40.

I headed west on the trail, warm but only a slight breeze off my side.
Something about riding in wind, you get used to a certain level of effort such that when faced with less wind, you ride faster.
Awesome.
I'll take what I can get.
Down past the park the first bottle goes dry, into the second with the single nuun tablet. The ice is no longer in evidence, but it is still cool-ish.
At the Santa Ana fill/park I refill my bottles and add a nuun tablet, it feels hotter now that I'm not moving. Drain some ballast, and I'm back on the trail. This is at about ten miles from the beach. The wind has shifted, and feels like it's picked up a bit.
It's in my face.
But, I can still hold a fair pace. All that big wind training the last couple of weeks.
At least I got that. At about 6 miles from the beach the air temperature drops a bit, and I can see the marine layer froth in the air.
Cooler riding nice.
I guy shoots past and I ignore the urge to catch. I got my own fish fry on and I ain't taking any bait.
After the detour as I ride up to re-enter the path the guy who flew past and another guy have seen fit to stop dead center of the entrance; as usual in this part of the world completely oblivious to where they are and that maybe, just maybe there are other people populating the world.
Fucktards. I ride around one of them and brush past. I'm willing to be rude to idiots.These two are likely poster children.

I am back on the trail and working my way back up to easy spinning. Oh, and back there when I came under that marine layer? Yeah the wind did kick up a good bit. But, the air temps are cool, and comfortable.

A stop to fill the bottles again, a Gu, another nuun into the bottle and I'm back at it.
Tailwind!
Wind it up to where I feel comfortable, and wait.

Rides like this for me are a discovery rides. I'm out seeing if I can ride hard, for how long and if I can kick it up a bit more.
How long I could keep it rolling easy was answered at about mile 40. Mile fifty had me re-filling bottles at the park and dumping water over my body to cool down in the shade. Shade; something that is in short supply this time of day.

At mile six from the beach on the way back the temp jumped enough to feel it like opening the car door. At mile 40 the heat ticked up a few more notches. No idea how hot it was, but when I stopped at 50 at the park to dump water over me my arms, back and head were on fire, and felt hot to the touch. The sport sunscreen 50 level I'd doused myself with served to keep the sun damage at bay. My late afternoon/evening rides don't really need much sunblock with as much shade as I have to ride in.
On my way up the hill I know I've used up everything in the tank. I stop at the last bit of shade large enough to hide from the sun in on the last kick, and of course there is nothing but dead air here. It feels every bit as hot in the shade as in the sun. A few big gulps of what now is very warm water while dumping more of it over me to cool me down, I'm back at it. The last bit.
And then it's over, spin up past the school a short climb up tot he stop sign, then descend turn, another short little burst climb, and I'm rolling around the corner to home.
I am done, beat, hot and need some ice water, and lay down on my cold pack and rest a good while.
Once I've garaged the bike rinsed the bottles and out of the soaking salt-stained gear, I park myself on the cold pack, legs elevated and just before dozing off check my pulse. 90 bpm. Yeah I finally get a good workout in.
ONce I've cooled down enough I do a leg massage, and drink more ice water. Get up and type this.
My legs don't feel exactly fresh but they aren't stones either.
Awesome!

Strava drivel:

As I finish typing this up, my pulse has dropped back down to closer to normal at 61. Not that big of a workout but good enough.
Tomorrow I may just take a short run early to beat the heat and be back so we can maybe run out to breakfast.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #29687
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
A number of local Stravaletes and I have been concerned about the inherent danger of various timed segments. Lord only knows what the people who created them were thinking, but having to cross dangerous intersections, business entrance driveways, etc., in search of a KOM is 'beyond stupid' as one crit racer put it. Most irritating of all are segments that end only inches away from the curb, so that someone intent on bettering his record had better hope he has good brakes, or he'll run right off the sidewalk into the path of a car.

This morning I corrected one of these dangerous segments by simply moving the starting and ending points to safer locations. The change in distance is only 0.2 miles, but it may save some dumbass from getting killed.

Speaking of running into a car (or vice versa) came across a coupla cop cars and a black Suburban in the middle of a 4-lane road on tonite's mtn bike ride. 50' down the road was a mangled bicycle.

The W&OD trail crosses a few 'major but not really' roads and it looks like a cyclist got broadsided in/near the crosswalk.

IDK any more details, but be VERY careful out there folks.

M
Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #29688
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Met a TT bike rider on the trail this afternoon going the same way I was. He looked totally exhausted, but explained that he was on the last leg of his 100 mile journey. He said he wanted to match the distance the guys in the TDF were capable of doing in one day.

I thought of you when I saw his bike, Gummee. It was so ancient that I couldn't even guess at the manufacturer, let alone the model. The frame looked nothing like the TT bikes you see today. It had obviously been painted black with a spray can, and part of it looked like it was being held together with duct tape.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #29689
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Met a TT bike rider on the trail this afternoon going the same way I was. He looked totally exhausted, but explained that he was on the last leg of his 100 mile journey. He said he wanted to match the distance the guys in the TDF were capable of doing in one day.

I thought of you when I saw his bike, Gummee. It was so ancient that I couldn't even guess at the manufacturer, let alone the model. The frame looked nothing like the TT bikes you see today. It had obviously been painted black with a spray can, and part of it looked like it was being held together with duct tape.
Gee thanks. I think!

There's a Softride bike in the shop. It was given to a guy that knows absolutely nothing about it. Poor fella.

M
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #29690
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Gee thanks. I think!
My point is that no one could accuse this guy of being a 'Fred'. This is the bike he'd been racing for 12 years, and he saw no need to get a newer one.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #29691
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
My point is that no one could accuse this guy of being a 'Fred'. This is the bike he'd been racing for 12 years, and he saw no need to get a newer one.
aaah. Yeah. Them's the guys ya gotta watch out for. The guys on the 'next year's bikes' with all the bling? Slow as molases in Jan (unless they're given to them, then watch out!)

M
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #29692
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
aaah. Yeah. Them's the guys ya gotta watch out for. The guys on the 'next year's bikes' with all the bling? Slow as molases in Jan (unless they're given to them, then watch out!)

M
He must have been one of the fast ones, 'cause he didn't seem at all impressed when I casually mentioned owning most of the KOM's on the trail we'd just ridden.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #29693
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,752
Well, I just had to go for a short ride today just to experience riding in temps of 118F/47.8C. I only rode for about 30 minutes and I certainly don't see riding in temps that high as becoming a habit. It was tough since my normal cutoff is around 100F but it was interesting to experience these kind of temps.

Up for about 45 miles tomorrow - will be finished well before 8 AM though.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #29694
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I'd mercifully forgotten how badly live tv sucks compared to innerweb feeds.

Enough with the baseball updates already!

M
Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #29695
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,197
$14.99

NBC app for my iPad
Best 15 bucks spent.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #29696
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

cyclingfans and sporthill.tv

both free

M
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #29697
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,854
On Friday a young guy came by me at the park when I was headed back home, he was on an S-Works TT bike, but turning over a big gear. ONce he was out about a football field, I decided he wasn't going fast.
He had gone by while I was getting my legs going again, so I spun the gear up on top, shifted up and got on top of that one. Caught him just at the short jump up to the street level. He saw / heard me and jumped on his pedals. Mashing a good sized gear, a bit too big too. I hung right with hem, and just at the top he tried for a lower gear and ground them.
I didn't need a gear and spun by him, shifted up , took the street exit and spun it up to the big ring middle ofthe block. Hit over thirty when I descended back onto the trail.
This is what I see a lot out here; guys buying and riding the latest fast TT bike, yet knowing next to nothing about how to make those bikes go fast.
I guess most figure you get it into the big gears and just rock and mash. That ain't fast. A rider has to put that initial thousand miles in spinning the small ring and managing the pressure with the rear block. If a rider does that then he can get the big ring spinning and work his way up to the big gears.
And that is the foundation of why roadies think Tri-guys can't ride.

The Tri boys who learn to spin, win. Those who don't get pain and gnashing of teeth.

This is also part of the "old age and treachery" thing.

Today is a self-declared rest day for me.

To feel what a TDF climb is like go find a big hill and use a real GPS tool to measure the grade, I like "Motion-X GPS". Cool iPhone app. Then you get an idea of what a couple mile long 10% grade is like. Of course riding 75 miles and finishing at the top of that would REALLY simulate that.

Club racing or training with a well organized team can give you a great feel for what life in the peleton is like, as well as what spinning along at 35 mph is like. Doing that in the rain on gravel will really let you get a feeling for some of those Spring classics.
A great way to get ready for the tour coverage.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #29698
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
On Friday a young guy came by me at the park when I was headed back home, he was on an S-Works TT bike, but turning over a big gear. ONce he was out about a football field, I decided he wasn't going fast.
He had gone by while I was getting my legs going again, so I spun the gear up on top, shifted up and got on top of that one. Caught him just at the short jump up to the street level. He saw / heard me and jumped on his pedals. Mashing a good sized gear, a bit too big too. I hung right with hem, and just at the top he tried for a lower gear and ground them.
I didn't need a gear and spun by him, shifted up , took the street exit and spun it up to the big ring middle ofthe block. Hit over thirty when I descended back onto the trail.
This is what I see a lot out here; guys buying and riding the latest fast TT bike, yet knowing next to nothing about how to make those bikes go fast.
I guess most figure you get it into the big gears and just rock and mash. That ain't fast. A rider has to put that initial thousand miles in spinning the small ring and managing the pressure with the rear block. If a rider does that then he can get the big ring spinning and work his way up to the big gears.
And that is the foundation of why roadies think Tri-guys can't ride.

The Tri boys who learn to spin, win. Those who don't get pain and gnashing of teeth.
It's hard to believe that any rider, even a relatively new one, wouldn't already understand that. I'll bet that what really happened was something I've both witnessed and done myself. If you're a reasonably fast rider and you have the natural competitive traits that most males possess, you don't want to see someone passing you. But you also don't want them to know that you don't want them passing you, because that would look a bit childish. Incresing your speed by downshifting would be an open admission that you're trying to beat him. You don't want that, so the only thing you can do in that situation is to push harder on the pedals and pretend it has nothing to do with staying ahead of the rider behind you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

By the way, this kind of behavior is something I've seen much more often on mountain bike trails than I have on the road. A mtb rider will be going at a pace he feels comfortable with, but the moment he hears you approaching from behind, he immediately picks up the pace, rather than moving over to let you by.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #29699
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,752
40 miles....hot, damn hot.

Up at 0430, out the door at 0450. Made a quick stop at McD's for a bite to eat and then met a group at a local shop for a 0545 departure. This group is a no-drop, 15 mph group so I generally ride at the rear for about half the ride and once we make the turn home, I go at my own pace. Today, that pace was 24-25 mph. The heat was building and it got pretty miserable for the last five miles which was into the wind. Just over 40 miles total.

Usually, several in the group will try to jump on my wheel when I take off. Two Sunday's ago, the ride leader posted a note after the ride, "Great pace line on Queen Creek today." Yep - that was the same pace line that I dropped after they tried to follow me out.

Today, no one tried to follow me - I guess it was too hot to play. When we got to the regroup, it was 15 minutes before the next rider arrived.

As I arrived at home, the Garmin was reporting 103.4 but it tends to read 3 degrees high so I'll go with an even 100F upon arrival.

I think I'll hide inside for the rest of the day.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #29700
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 998
Finally a day without OT at work let me get a ride in before the temps broke 100. Figured I would stay close to home so I did some climbing up the local canyon. Three hours of fun and I am ready for bed. I think my Tuesday ride is going to be long flattish miles. My legs are toast!

soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: