Spies also has his own elite road team. Elbowz Racing
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #29837
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That looks way cool! How much do these things go for?
I've never priced them before but my guess is that one with nothing too crazy on the bolt-on's would be $4500-$5000.

Hurting today. Wasn't paying attention to my angle of attack relative to the highway and caught my front tire in a groove. Went down on my left side.

Bike handlebar tape is now a little ratty and I've got quite a bit of rash on my left knee, shoulder, three knuckles (left hand), left forearm and the backside of my frontside. I was probably doing just a tad over 20 at the time.

MrsK7 is gonna throw a fit when I try to ride on Sunday.

k7 screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:55 PM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #29838
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,044
Two events I forgot to mention from the 4th.
First as I was up on the top of the levee I came across a face planted rider/group. They were organized with a guy waving people around and others on cell phones. The guy on the ground had his helmet off and another was holding his head and he was shaded. I could see the fire truck on the road up ahead, no way was he fitting there, but the huge medic truck did just get there as I continued. I got to the underpass as the big ambulance turned onto the trail. The guy and vehicles were gone when I came back by later.
No idea what happened, but by the kit the group were wearing I'd guess a half-wheel incident. Straight flat and dry with good sight lines but narrow so could have had an issue if not anticipating that.

The second event/sighting was of a FWD recombant, and how poorly they turn. On my way back I saw him stopped waiting at a small bridge, he crossed ahead of me and at the far end you have to make a sharp 90 on wood down a ramp. Making that turn and pedaling at the same time looked very awkward. He quickly wound it up to 23 mph, and I spun by in the middle ring. And we both noted the cop car coming down the path on the other side of the channel. We'd just past a ranger's pick-up about a mile back.
I thought there were a lot of cops out but, then remembered it was the 4th and the migration of large people wobbling along with all manner of gear to the beach for the much later in the day fireworks, or parties.

Oh, there was a third thing... When I stopped to recover at the last park before the six mile slog home; I lean my bike against the rail fence, (no racks of any sort around) and got water, got rid of water, dumped water over my head and body to cool off, I spied as my eyes could focus and adjusted to the shade; on the ground wrappers. Those damned GU pack wrappers several of them. Within thirty feet there are a choice of two directions to walk and leave these in trash cans.
What sort of self-important fluffer figures this is OK? In what world is this OK? The only people stupid enough to buy and eat this crap at about the price of a Big Mac are supposedly health conscience folks who one might think prefer running/riding through areas not trashed? Yet here is evidence to the contrary.
I first noticed these wrappers on the trail after there was a staged event for runners. At that time I rode down the trail to the beach and saw on my way out and coming back probably a hundred packet wrappers, small juice containers and such strewn along the route. I never saw anybody from the organization out there cleaning up afterward. Though I was not monitoring the entire route all the time, I only rode through so I may have come through on a way of sorts.
As far as I'm concerned if you are not in a closed event you don't drop anything but spit and sweat on the road.
You may puke on the side of the road.
I use pre-packaged energy products. I also keep the wrapper if I'm not able to toss it in a garbage can. Those Chunks I remove from their impossible to open foil and kevlar bags and put them in zip-lock snack bags. I only eat when stopped. I see no reason to eat on the ride. I'm not in a big peleton racing or training or pretending I'm racing. I had enough eating in motion when I raced. I can afford to stop and grab a couple of Chunks. I also carry three or so NUUN tablets in the same sort of snack bag. Volume efficient. The Gu packs I squeeze out every atom of that crap. Then wash my mouth out with about a half bottle of water. I try to drink the remaining half and re-fill the bottle before I leave the stop. At what, $2.50 a pack I am going to eat all of it and I can just stand it if I'm pretty sure I'm going to die if I don't eat it.
That packet gets flattened, rolled and stowed in a pocket if I'm not at a trash can. But, I usually am. I figure if a forgetful old man can do this so can the rest of the STRAVA studs. See Rule #5.

OK, that's enough. Need to pack up here and head out into traffic. Then a nice little ride on the pushbike is in order.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #29839
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
...Hurting today. Wasn't paying attention to my angle of attack relative to the highway and caught my front tire in a groove. Went down on my left side
Oww. You have my complete sympathy, I wore out my helmet doing that about 3 weeks ago, my right thumb which got stabbed into the pavement somehow is still sore, and not quite back to full use.

I hope you'll be healing up better than me, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #29840
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Oww. You have my complete sympathy, I wore out my helmet doing that about 3 weeks ago, my right thumb which got stabbed into the pavement somehow is still sore, and not quite back to full use.

I hope you'll be healing up better than me, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Man, I thought I was the only one silly enough to go down like this! Thankfully, it isn't as bad of a fall from a diamond-frame compared to a recumbent. It all happened so quickly.

Hope your recovery accelerates and your thumb heals quickly.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #29841
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Heal fast, k7! I hear that 3M Tegaderm is the ticket for dressing road rash.

+1 on Mr. Head's litter rant. Few things torque me off more than seeing a bunch of gel and bar wrappers on the ground during a group ride. It came out of jersey pocket, it can go back in.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #29842
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

That is the first thing I hope to avoid the rest of my life is road rash.
Heal up, ice and whatever the magic stuff is should do the trick. I generally soak my ice in scotch.

Got out for a short windy ride. Wind blowing up the canyon was tough. At one point I was standing on the pedals doing 12 mph on pretty much flat ground. At that point I was thinking that if this kept up when I got to the bridge back across the river, I was going to call it a very short day and climb back up the hill if I could.

I'm closing in on 800 miles since Starting back riding on my birthday. That should get me close to a grand by the end of next weekend. Then it will be time for hills. I'm kind of looking forward to that.

Yeah I know.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #29843
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,016

Yeah, I know that feeling.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #29844
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Heal fast, k7! I hear that 3M Tegaderm is the ticket for dressing road rash.

+1 on Mr. Head's litter rant. Few things torque me off more than seeing a bunch of gel and bar wrappers on the ground during a group ride. It came out of jersey pocket, it can go back in.
On a similar note:

Was out yesterday AM on the Wed winter loop backwards. Came to the bottom of Bull Run Mtn rd and what do I see?

Bicycle inner tube laying there on the side of the road.

WTF?! I'm sure the owner 'forgot' the tube in his haste to remount and chase back on to the race that was going on at the time... Yeah. Right.

IDK how someone can justify leaving shit behind that obviously screams 'bicycles were here!' with the crappy way we're already treated on the road. Add insult to injury, now not only are we 'those damn spandex-clad [sexual preference slur deleted] on the road!' we're those 'littering damn spandex-clad [sexual preference slur deleted] on the road!' too!

So I picked up said tube and schlepped it back to the car.

Probably came from the local shop, but there's no proof. I would like to get the owner to mention to folks that ride to pack out their trash, but I doubt it'd do any good.

M
Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #29845
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,016
Last team ride prior to Death Ride today. We're out for a 35 mile climb up Mount Tamalpais, which was our first team ride this year. It should b interesting to see the difference between last January's effort and today. I can tell you that every person on my team is stronger and faster today.

Here we go!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #29846
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Last team ride prior to Death Ride today. We're out for a 35 mile climb up Mount Tamalpais, which was our first team ride this year. It should b interesting to see the difference between last January's effort and today. I can tell you that every person on my team is stronger and faster today.

Here we go!
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #29847
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Spies also has his own elite road team. Elbowz Racing
Joe Schmalz of Elbowz just took third at US Elite Nationals road race. Good friend, neighbor and fellow racer who represented US at cyclocross worlds in Kalmthout, Belgium. I know his parents well and have watched him progress as a racer from the start. Hell of a guy who has bigger things in his future.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #29848
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Rode to Corona Del Mar and back.
All I got to say is ouch!
That was hard.

Tomorrow will be a light day for certain.
I'm beat.

Yesterday I used some of the toy points/money they give us in place of raises. and ordered running watch with a HR monitor. It's a Garmin FR70. I figure for free I'll go for it.
Facebook
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:14 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #29849
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Rested the last two days, the legs have been just dead on my rides in the morning before work. Getting used to rolling out at 0430 may have something to do with it. I'm thinking about getting out early tomorrow for a 40-50 mi. mixed-surface loop out to the dam before the heat of the day sets in.

Tinkering around in the garage this morning, I was able to install and adjust the 9sp XT rear derailleur on my old CX bike. An 11-32 cassette and new chain are on their way. Once I decide on some tires, I should have a serviceable super commuter/gravel grinder.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #29850
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,265
I headed over to David's World Cycle this morning to do an introductory 'racing' class. It seems everyone else decided to sleep in and take the afternoon course, because I was the only one there.

The first part went extremely well. I was so much stronger than the instructor assumed that he had to come back four times to increase the resistance on the computer.

Then, after a brief cooldown, came the second portion which was hill climbing. Climbing is the thing I'm worst at, and I absolutely dread. On the screen in front of me were graphic depictions of five hills, each being longer and more severe than the one before. I hoped that it would be easier than it looked. Maybe those slopes weren't really as steep or as long as they appeared on the screen. My hopes were dashed when I began to feel the computer increasing the resistance with every passing minute. 13 minutes passed by the time I'd climbed over the top of the first hill, but it felt like an hour. I was out of breath and my legs were on fire from lactic acid buildup. I called the instructor over and advised him that there was just no way I could complete the remaining four climbs unless I slowed my speed to something below the target minimum, and that they'd better have a defibrillator on hand, just in case.

Fortunately he decided not to argue with me, so I skipped ahead to the last phase, which was a virtual criterium race. This one actually wasn't too bad, and I managed to meet all the targets the computer had set.

Two hours that felt like four. I was glad that it was over, and that it ended on a high note. Had the third part been as bad as the second, I don't think I'd be back for the next class.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: