Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #29881
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Climbing is never easy, that's for sure, but I've had amazing progress this year by doing lots and lots of goblet squats. Technique is key, so keep that weight back on your heels. Good glutes and hamstrings are the key to climbing, as is a solid core. When your legs are throwing a couple hundred watts down through the pedals, you need to be able to keep those hips from rocking and directing that power where it's needed.
I've been doing leg presses at the gym for a couple of months. I went from a miserable 3x10 with 200 lbs to 3x10 with 400 lbs. Doubling my leg strength didn't seem to help my cycling at all. There has been no noticeable improvement in top speed or endurance.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #29882
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yep, did spin class yesterday due to the shoe shortage. I wish the shops around here carried shoes in size 13 Wide. Those are pecial order only. The Lake MX165 shoes are no longer in production and are out of stock. Gotta find something that fits my hobbit feet as well as my current pair. Anybody have suggestions for shoes that are truly wide fitment as in EE?
I've got some Shimano Mtb shoes.in size 50 they are wider by a long shot than the Sidis wide I used to have. I got them at Zappos.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #29883
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

[QUOTE=Aurelius;21820011]I've been doing leg presses at the gym for a couple of months. I went from a miserable 3x10 with 200 lbs to 3x10 with 400 lbs. Doubling my leg strength didn't seem to help my cycling at all. There has been no noticeable improvement in top speed or endurance. [/QUOTNo, really the best training for Cycling is ,You guessed it. Cycling. You can do other things, but nothing replaces it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #29884
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
So I just did a practice run on my trainer after synchronizing the heart rate monitor with my GPS. Damned thing nearly killed me. The goal was to maintain a steady speed of 20 mph for as long as I could at a cadence of 80 rpm. On the road, that's well below my 'cruising speed', but the steady resistance offered by the trainer (which I can't lessen) makes it much harder. After only 10 minutes, my heart rate had climbed to 158 bpm. Not knowing how much higher it can go, I got concerned that it might stop working altogether, so I decided to call it quits and jumped into the shower. I need to find out what my Max heart rate is before I attempt this again.
You are gonna have play with it ,and find out. the rule of thumb is 220-age=max HR.Having said that every one is different. A sports performance practice may help with this.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #29885
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
So I just did a practice run on my trainer after synchronizing the heart rate monitor with my GPS. Damned thing nearly killed me. The goal was to maintain a steady speed of 20 mph for as long as I could at a cadence of 80 rpm. On the road, that's well below my 'cruising speed', but the steady resistance offered by the trainer (which I can't lessen) makes it much harder. After only 10 minutes, my heart rate had climbed to 158 bpm. Not knowing how much higher it can go, I got concerned that it might stop working altogether, so I decided to call it quits and jumped into the shower. I need to find out what my Max heart rate is before I attempt this again.
http://www.lactate.com/lactate_threshold.html

Start doing some research on LT training and "testing" work an interval routine into your training once you figure out your HR zones. When I'm in shape I LOVE interval training.

Also look into exercises that are more targeted for fast twitch growth since you are into TT. Diversify your workouts to reduce boredom and keep it fun. I like mixing kettle bells in, little lighter weight and higher reps. Works a TON of core. Take it all with a grain of salt I'm no expert. Everyone's body is different and needs different methods.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #29886
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,724
So, I got out of the house late, into work later than usual, which meant since it was Monday lunch was way later than usual. Then I left work later than I had planned because I just wanted to complete this one last thing that would not work.
So, home late, decided to face into the wind and ride until 6-something, and turn around. I ended up turning at the Pond.
On the way back I come past a couple who seem familiar to me and the guy yells.

Hahaha It was some good friends. Funny how not seeing friends in a long time except at work you have no idea who they are out and about. Then add bicycle gear and some fatigue, and they disappear.

Turned around and they soft pedaled. We talked for about ten-ish miles. I ran out of water, so the last bit back to the park was a toughy.

Anyway, Strava-blah,

I had gotten going pretty good on the way out and after I finally got wound up after the turn around. All that socializing kinda put a dent in my Strava.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #29887
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I did swap out my cassette yesterday to give me a 28 instead of a 26 for my biggest gear(thanks monte).
Hope it is enough to get you up those climbs with gusto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I've been wanting to get one of those for winters in my basement for years now. I'm betting this would be the time of year to look for one and get it set up. I always wait until christmas time, and obviously, that's a real idiotic thing to go buying then.Off to scan ebay and craiglist for one.....
For some reason, I just now noticed your sigline.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #29888
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Joe Friel
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/
he has an excellent Blog and tons of charts and info available on the web. He specializes in training for endurance athletes. He has a very good receipe.

train your strengths, race your weakness.
Gummee will have a completely different analogy or perspective I am sure, but to me this always meant be a monster at what your good at first, then the rest will come. I havent raced a bicycle in 12+ years but for dirtbikes and harescrambles I followed the same logic. I always had good cardio and I live in a very hilly area. I would train the hell out of cardio and hill climbs, I started riding dirtbikes late and im not very good at it, so a lot of the technical stuff I gloss over. When I was racing, the strong cardio and hill climbs skills would push me through the stuff I was bad at. I could pass tons of people on the hills and late in the race, when you face a weakness during a race the drive to win will push you through it. Sometimes removing a weakness takes a TON of time and practice, often times you can make bigger strides in less time when training your strengths. I am just a dumb hillbilly so that probably didnt make any sense

Gummee probably meant something a little different but thats my take on it. I guess I would say it more like "Excel at your strengths, race through your weakness"
I can't climb to save my life. I can train to be a so-so climber, OR I can train what I'm good at: sprints and 'manage' the hills.

In the first instance, I'm neither a good climber nor a good sprinter (see Tyler Farrar last spring) in the latter, I still suck at climbing, but am faster when it counts.

I know I'm not build to ride RRs, so I don't bother. Crits? Track? Cross? Sure! Sign me up. Road races? Nope. If I have a team that needs a support rider, I'll help as long as I can. ...which pretty much means till the first time the road tilts upwards.

Fits change over time. The position I ride now, I couldn't when I first started out. As you ride more, you can get longer and lower.

M
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #29889
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Spin faster. Try doing that same test at 100-120rpm

Getting on top of the gear helps

M
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #29890
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Spin faster. Try doing that same test at 100-120rpm

Getting on top of the gear helps

M
I actually had it up to 156 rpm at one point, just to see how fast I could pedal.

A riding buddy of mine advised me to 'ride as hard as possible for five minutes' to determine my max heart rate. He says the rule of thumb method of starting with 220 and subtracting your age isn't that reliable.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #29891
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I actually had it up to 156 rpm at one point, just to see how fast I could pedal.

A riding buddy of mine advised me to 'ride as hard as possible for five minutes' to determine my max heart rate. He says the rule of thumb method of starting with 220 and subtracting your age isn't that reliable.
the 220-age crap is a bunch of hooey. You need to do a lactate threshold field test. Everyone's fitness levels and body are different so a generic formula can be off significantly.

LT field test "how-to"

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=633
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #29892
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Oh, there was a third thing... When I stopped to recover at the last park before the six mile slog home; I lean my bike against the rail fence, (no racks of any sort around) and got water, got rid of water, dumped water over my head and body to cool off, I spied as my eyes could focus and adjusted to the shade; on the ground wrappers. Those damned GU pack wrappers several of them. Within thirty feet there are a choice of two directions to walk and leave these in trash cans.
What sort of self-important fluffer figures this is OK? In what world is this OK? The only people stupid enough to buy and eat this crap at about the price of a Big Mac are supposedly health conscience folks who one might think prefer running/riding through areas not trashed? Yet here is evidence to the contrary.
I first noticed these wrappers on the trail after there was a staged event for runners. At that time I rode down the trail to the beach and saw on my way out and coming back probably a hundred packet wrappers, small juice containers and such strewn along the route. I never saw anybody from the organization out there cleaning up afterward. Though I was not monitoring the entire route all the time, I only rode through so I may have come through on a way of sorts.
As far as I'm concerned if you are not in a closed event you don't drop anything but spit and sweat on the road.
You may puke on the side of the road.
I use pre-packaged energy products. I also keep the wrapper if I'm not able to toss it in a garbage can. Those Chunks I remove from their impossible to open foil and kevlar bags and put them in zip-lock snack bags. I only eat when stopped. I see no reason to eat on the ride. I'm not in a big peleton racing or training or pretending I'm racing. I had enough eating in motion when I raced. I can afford to stop and grab a couple of Chunks. I also carry three or so NUUN tablets in the same sort of snack bag. Volume efficient. The Gu packs I squeeze out every atom of that crap. Then wash my mouth out with about a half bottle of water. I try to drink the remaining half and re-fill the bottle before I leave the stop. At what, $2.50 a pack I am going to eat all of it and I can just stand it if I'm pretty sure I'm going to die if I don't eat it.
That packet gets flattened, rolled and stowed in a pocket if I'm not at a trash can. But, I usually am. I figure if a forgetful old man can do this so can the rest of the STRAVA studs. See Rule #5.
I volunteer, with another guy, a 3mi section of my local rail-trail. We're ~7mi from one end and ~5mi from the other, in between two tiny towns. There aren't a lot of users out there. But, I'm constantly picking up "energy" wrappers. I get the frivolous crap from the kids/losers/drunks/whatever. There simply is no excuse for a cyclist to be throwing down their trash. There are trash cans, at various points along the trail.

The section we maintain has been, at times, completely grown over. We started working on it, last summer, and worked through the winter so long as it was over 30 degrees. This is what some of it looks like, now.

How I maintain the one crossing we have. I hope that its appearance will entice others to come out to the trail.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #29893
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The section we maintain has been, at times, completely grown over. We started working on it, last summer, and worked through the winter so long as it was over 30 degrees. This is what some of it looks like, now.

How I maintain the one crossing we have. I hope that its appearance will entice others to come out to the trail.
AWESOME keep up the great work
Old 07-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #29894
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Went to a couple of LBS yesterday. I'm pretty torn between building a steel Gunnar or buying a left over superx carbon with SRAM rival group at a huge discount. The Cdale will be cheaper and I can get it sooner. Gunnar will have a wait but it's a true made in the USA frame. The Gunnar frames I looked at were top notch. A 14 Cdale cx is prob out due to the only SRAM offering being the high end stuff.

My head says super sexy carbon bike that I can have next week but my heart says build the steel Gunnar.
Dare I say you'll be happier with what your heart wants. Also, you can choose the color, frame options, and components that YOU want. Just take your time, look at all component options. Ride or try different things that are on other shop bikes. The Gunnar Fastlane looks like the ideal, all-around bike.

IMHO, the drivetrain of the SuperX isn't going to suit you. It's a CX (46/36) crank and short-cage rear derailleur. That'll limit your low gear (28T or 30T cassette). You could swap on an Apex mid-cage RD and 32T/34T/36T low-gear cassette.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #29895
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Anybody have suggestions for shoes that are truly wide fitment as in EE?
Stumbled onto these:
http://www.rocket7.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: