Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #29911
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Hmmmm. Heading to the national BMW rally with my iPad. Lets see what I can do. Throw it in here, you think?
Yes please, it belongs here too. Been looking forward to your RR from the DR.

edit: Did Ridge do this ride as well?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 11:42 AM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #29912
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
You'll have to give us a review on those... I'm still half-considering them for the LHT. I like the bar-end shifters better than I thought I would, but in case I get sick of them I still have my eye on the retroshifts.

I was entertaining the idea of getting CX and trying something like that.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #29913
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
edit: Did Ridge do this ride as well?
Negative Ghost Rider... I'm on the other coast. No huge rides lately, but I have Wilderness101 coming up in a couple of weeks.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #29914
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Why not? You're a member here and it's bicycle related. I think everyone would enjoy it, just like everyone else's cycling adventures.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #29915
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
New goodies for the Moots...

You know, I slagged these a bit when someone mentioned them a while back. Now I'm looking at getting some Shimano 9sp shifters that aren't Tiagra/Sora and aren't bar ends. These would work and don't cost a mint.

Mea culpa.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #29916
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
You know, I slagged these a bit when someone mentioned them a while back. Now I'm looking at getting some Shimano 9sp shifters that aren't Tiagra/Sora and aren't bar ends. These would work and don't cost a mint.

Mea culpa.
See also:

Paul's Thumbies

M
Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #29917
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Another day of work, another ride after. Rode flatish rather than hills.
I'm tired.

Pounded on the heart pretty good. The wind was a rough one. And they are working on a bridge so we get a nice rest at a light.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #29918
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
See also:

Paul's Thumbies

M
I didn't know that those guys were out of Chico. Looks like I'll be taking a short drive to see if they have a storefront. A visit to the Sierra Nevada taproom will probably be in the offing, too. Damn the luck.

Like our own kbasa, some of my riding buddies were also in on the Death Ride. Here's Mike's video:

Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #29919
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
That's awesome. He's a lot faster than I am.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #29920
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,672
He was so fast I had to pause some of it to read the captions.

Nice video.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #29921
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Fast old guy ride

I finally got out for the Tuesday night ride. Between work. and the crap weather, I haven't made too many of them. For a bunch of old guy's, this group is pretty fast.

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #29922
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Got out for the first ride in a week yesterday AM!

1:23 of easy 'cause this cold's still lingering.

I'm probably dropping back to the B ride tonite at Haymarket. I don't have the oomph to keep up with the fast folks right this second

M
Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #29923
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I finally got out for the Tuesday night ride. Between work. and the crap weather, I haven't made too many of them. For a bunch of old guy's, this group is pretty fast.

Bunch of old guys would smoke my ass
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #29924
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
N.C. State Criterium Championships

Last Friday was our state criterium championships. Being that the heat index is somewhere currently between OMG and WTF, the races were to be held at night. The original course was to be downtown Lexington with pubs and spectators to cheer us on. At the last minute, the organizer had to pull the plug on the city since our benevolent state DOT decided to resurface the downtown streets a couple of weeks before the race. Of course this left gravel, tar and rough surfaces everywhere, so a new venue was located.

The old Dell manufacturing facility (I say old, but it's only been there for about 5 years...) has been purchased by Herbalife and they graciously offered to let the parking lot be used for the races! Normally, I'm not a fan of parking lot racing, bu this is a BIG parking lot. Just to give you an idea, you can see a pre-ride video of the course here.

After seeing the video and watching the race before my category, I knew this was going to be a fast, zone 5 race of attrition. Wind them up and watch them go folks.

Our race was to start at 8:30pm under the lights. The front straight is slightly downhill and long. We were usually hitting 30+ every lap through there. Ending the straight was a left sweeper up a short grade into a sharper left to the upper level. A fast, hard right around some safety bollards put the pack on the back straight by the loading docks and set everyone up for the last turn. This was a doozy... had I been wearing knee pucks, I truly believe I had enough lean angle to touch a knee. We were hitting that curve at some intense speed every lap!

As the race progressed, I sat about 1/3 of the way back and watched who pulled, who tried to break and getting a general idea of how the pack was reacting to the course. I usually excel at multi-turn crits from my motorcycling experience between track days and a brief stint in WERA, so I patiently waited for the lull...

The peloton heaved and subsided lap after lap. I found that I could go to the outside of the last turn and gain 4-5 positions just by cornering smoothly off the brakes. Most guys were packing themselves into the apex and feathering the brakes while I could hear a couple of pedal strikes as they attempted making speed in the turn. The real trick was transitioning from outside to inside as you exited the turn onto the straight. As the racers exited, they would use the momentum to carry them to the right side of the course and leave an open gap on the left. A few inspired guys would attempt an attack here, but we're carrying so much speed that absolutely nothing could stay away. The pack would bunch up again as we entered the sweeper and I found the best line was from the inside apex to the outside of the pack to set up for the sharper left and throwing it into the hard right. After about 30 minutes of the 50 minute race, I saw the opportunity.

The pack would really bunch up after cresting the hill into the sharp left. They would slow even further into the hard right and sprint out of the turn to make up speed on the back straight. I waited until the next lap and moved into attack position about fifth wheel from the front. As we reached the peak of the hill, I clicked down and stood on the pedals. Leaning with every confidence I could muster in my tires, I pedaled through the left, then right turns and onto the back straight. As I set up for the sharp rounder to transition to the front straight, I glanced back to see if my bold plan had worked and it had! The pack was just entering the back straight from the hard right and I had put about 200 yards on them with my move. My only problem was that I went solo and had zero help to stay away from a seething monster of angry pedals and gear clicks... I put my head down and buried my legs enough to stay away from the pack for a full lap. I redlined the entire time and could hear them steadily gaining ground on me. I had inflicted a solid blow to the pack and made them work their collective asses off to catch me but had no help to stay away. Had a few others made the move to bridge, I believe we could have held off the pack and made a winning break but not this time.

I settled back in the pack to recover for what seemed an inevitable field sprint at the finish. Noone else attempted a break as the course was just sooo fast and the pack would have none of it after my shenanigans. The officials rung the bell for the final lap and the pace picked up another few notches. Position is everything in that last lap and I was in a bad one. Having just recovered from my solo run, I made my way up as far as I could but just out of reach from the front guys pulling. The final turn sweeping hard left, pedals scraping and brakes burning just sealed it that I was going to have to dig deep for this one. Exiting the turn put us about 200 meters from the finish line and I was scrambling for position. I stood on the pedals again and pulled past a few guys to the line but not enough for a top ten. I finished 13th this time but still proud of my efforts and strategy. What amazed me most was our average speed of 27mph for a 50 minute crit. This was by far the fastest race I've done to date.

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #29925
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

@Ridge: Awesome that you gave it a go. Bummer you didn't have help.

...but I don't think that was a good course for a break. The pack could see anyone out front the whole time. You being a carrot dangling in front of em woulda made em chase you down regardless.

Coupla corners around a downtown circuit? Different story. Out of sight, out of mind.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: