Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Ok give up the secret stuff you use or your favorite

I want brand names and why you like it

Hydration, protiens, carbs etc

I use nitric oxcides when i go to the gym occasionally
but thats about it, now i'm starting to cycle i need the low down

Good luck kbasa
I take a multivitamin every day and am always concious of my hydration levels.

Food:

Night before a big ride is usually a double serving of pasta with meat sauce or sausages or something.

Morning of the ride, I eat more than an hour before rollout and have hash browns, 2 strips bacon and 2 scrambled eggs with coffee.

Water, of course, the whole way. I want my urine to be flowing clearly and copiously.

During the ride, I'll eat peanut butter sandwiches, bananas, oranges, pretzels, chips, or whatever they've got in the SAG stops. I also bring along Honey Stinger Waffles because they're easy to eat and pack about 190 calories each. I also carry bars, but I like bars like Kind or some of the all natural ones that are easy to digest. No Clif bars, PowerBars or other types of extruded glop. No GU gels or similar, though I like Orange Stinger energy drops.

Fluids:

I carry two 25oz. Camelbak insulated bottles. Insulated because testing shows that consuming chilled fluids during a workout results in 10% better performance.

I carry one with Nuun and the other with CytoMax. I like the CytoMax because it contains both electrolytes and potassium. This combination helps fuel get to my muscles so I don't cramp or bonk, as long as I'm eating enough.

At a SAG, I may consume a small Coke if it's later in the event, but consuming too much caffeine early makes my HR too high, which makes it harder for me to endure over the course of the day.

Lunch during a longer ride is always an issue, but in general, I try not to consume a large amount as it makes me sluggish. In general, I've found that something about the size of a 6 inch Subway sub will work best.

My general goal for caloric intake is right about 4 to 500 calories per hour of ride time. Bottles should last about 2 hours or so, maybe less if it's hot or we have a big gnarly climb.

I hope that's helpful.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #29942
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Before when i cycled water maybe cytomax
and that was it....i was alot younger.

Have not heard of nuun so i will look into that

Thanks

So far...
Epo
Bastard ale
Nuun
Cytomax
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #29943
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Nuun's great. It's a little tube of tablets you add to your waterbottle.

They're kind of effervescent, which can be nice when you've been drinking stuff that tastes like fruit flavored anti-freeze all day.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #29944
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

They're kind of effervescent, which can be nice when you've been drinking stuff that tastes like fruit flavored anti-freeze all day.
I thought of your upcoming ordeal in the mountains as I was on my trainer tonight. 20 minutes of pedaling with my heart rate in Zone 4, and I'm beat.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #29945
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I thought of your upcoming ordeal in the mountains as I was on my trainer tonight. 20 minutes of pedaling with my heart rate in Zone 4, and I'm beat.
Take a drill into the Suffer Score tab on this one.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #29946
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Took about two weeks off from cycling due to a conference followed immediately by a week long visit from my in-laws. Back to commuting and I don't seem to be much slower but I feel like I have lead in my legs.

The wife and I (and our "team") have RAGBRAI in a little over a week now. Had a friend drag us put for a few miles tonight but I still haven't done any rides as long as one day of RAGBRAI I'm going to take the faster Klein road bike but the gearing is too high for me when I'm tired. Seems like most rides find me in my lowest gear combo and trying to downshift I just got that Long Haul Trucker and love the wide range gearing on that but I thought I had the Klein better set up. Now I'm thinking of putting my road pedals on the Surly and riding that, but I'll probably man up and take the Klein.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #29947
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,135
Well, the FR70 came in the mail today, so I wired myself up and went out for a ride.
Getting everything hooked up to the computer and talking was a bit fiddly. Mostly thanks to my POS Dell. Man I hate the thing.

Anyway I maxed at 167 and averaged 135 for around an hour fifty. I don't feel too bad. I never dropped to the granny even.
I'll edit the Strava stuff in here later, I'm iPadding so can't embed the code from Strava.
I suck at typing anyway.
No big happenings along the ride I did have another asshole run the red light at the cross walk. I swear I'm going to buy a goPro just for those butteads. He was probably doing about 65 in the 45 there so yeah he had the level pushed to the full douche setting. Of course the first one charged the red/yellow and this bag of hair comes from way, way back everybody else was stopped. We don't have any town cops anymore thanks to our crack city council, they contracted with the county for sheriff coverage. I've seen two out here in the months since that move.

Anyway, down off my soap box for now. I did manage 16.5 mph average so I was moving right along. only about a 7 mph wind that moved around. Humid and overcast, made for cool running. Though there was sweat dripping off me as I rode. I am beginning to feel I'm going in the right direction. Not a lot of weight is leaving the building but I'm getting stronger and my pants and belt are looser at the waist. The thighs are getting tight now.

I recall back when I was racing and training hard, I bought an interviewing suit. the guy at the shop was amazed. He had to get a 34 waist to fit over my thighs.
That was cool. What wasn't so cool is fifteen years later growing out of that waist.

Hence the return to the pedals.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 10:14 PM Reason: Strava Blah, blah, blah
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #29948
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,076
If one were to ride 20 miles in 1hour and 8 seconds, then why does the Garmin think that equates to a 19.8 mph average speed? Damn that piece of inaccurate junk, I'm gonna round up... just this once.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #29949
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Quote:

The Camelbak stuff that's very similar tastes better. IMO of course

I'll say it again: knock em dead, Killer!

M
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #29950
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Took about two weeks off from cycling due to a conference followed immediately by a week long visit from my in-laws. Back to commuting and I don't seem to be much slower but I feel like I have lead in my legs.

The wife and I (and our "team") have RAGBRAI in a little over a week now. Had a friend drag us put for a few miles tonight but I still haven't done any rides as long as one day of RAGBRAI I'm going to take the faster Klein road bike but the gearing is too high for me when I'm tired. Seems like most rides find me in my lowest gear combo and trying to downshift I just got that Long Haul Trucker and love the wide range gearing on that but I thought I had the Klein better set up. Now I'm thinking of putting my road pedals on the Surly and riding that, but I'll probably man up and take the Klein.
I really hate I'm missing it this year! Although, I heard Lance is riding, so maybe he'll give out some free EPO samples to give you that pep in your pedal when you need it...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #29951
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
recall back when I was racing and training hard, I bought an interviewing suit. the guy at the shop was amazed. He had to get a 34 waist to fit over my thighs.
That was cool. What wasn't so cool is fifteen years later growing out of that waist.
That's me too. I've actually gotten back to a 32ish in waist, but still buy the 34s for the thigh room.

...and I had outgrown MY jeans too. Hence the getting back on the bike.

BUT I'm still racing.

M
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #29952
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,769
Quote:
Take a drill into the Suffer Score tab on this one.

11,000 feet climbed......yeah, no.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #29953
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Before when i cycled water maybe cytomax
and that was it....i was alot younger.

Have not heard of nuun so i will look into that

Thanks

So far...
Epo
Bastard ale
Nuun
Cytomax
I would add Tailwind Nutrition to that list. I've tried all make and manner of hydration mixes and each person should do the same to discover what works best with their body over many miles. The Cytomax was okay for me but it was absolutely necessary to keep it cold. If it heated up, it would outgas in my bottles and created a bloating problem for me on long days in the saddle. It also makes for a rather gross science project in your bottles if not cleaned out immediately post-ride. I don't have to worry with any of that since switching to Tailwind.

I use Osmo nutrition recovery powder mixed with almond milk immediately post-ride and/or a Coke or Sprite. I know this will flare up some of the rec riders... but you should really avoid any alcoholic drinks post-ride for at least a few hours while your body replenishes and recovers. (more so on very intense rides or training sessions than a group social ride or rec ride)
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #29954
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I just got that Long Haul Trucker and love the wide range gearing on that but I thought I had the Klein better set up. Now I'm thinking of putting my road pedals on the Surly and riding that, but I'll probably man up and take the Klein.
LOL! You might end up pissed at the "man-up" part of your brain. Get that LHT setup squared away.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #29955
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
LOL! You might end up pissed at the "man-up" part of your brain. Get that LHT setup squared away.
That's my plan, but I got the Klein from an inmate with the intention of taking it on RAGBRAI and I've spent the last six months getting it ready (though I won't say if it's been done correctly ). The LHT was an unexpected purchase so I haven't had time to play with it much. If I had a few hundred extra dollars on me I would be tempted to run around town to get the shoes and saddle and pedals etc but I have to make sure I have money for the trip!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: