Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #29971
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
+1 on Skratch.
I've got a bag, but have only used it once. Tastes OK so far.

Since I only use mixes for rides lasting longer'n 3hrs, it may be a while before I get thru this bag o' stuff.

Another alternative that's really easy to find (cough cough wally world) is Gatorade mix. Look back in the aisle with the pre-mixed stuff and they'll probably have a tub o' the stuff. You can mix it as strong or as weak as ya want.

M
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #29972
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So, a question for you racers, when you do get to the top of a hill legs are full of LA, on the downhill is it better to pedal (slowly or otherwise) or just rest your legs
Try it both ways. You'll find that lactic acid burn lasts quite a bit longer if you stop pedaling.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #29973
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Best ride this season last night and I really wasn't going for it - 25 miles @ 17.5.

Something Kbasa said the other day stuck in my head - something about going into the red zone on hills and then never being able to really recover. Yesterday I went up the hills as slowly as I could - all the time trying to keep my legs from hurting (too much). I then hammered it on the downhill and flat. Worked a treat I was tired at the end but I only bonked about a mile from home and then not too badly.

Need to try it a few times to see if this theory holds up but it sure did yesterday.

So, a question for you racers, when you do get to the top of a hill legs are full of LA, on the downhill is it better to pedal (slowly or otherwise) or just rest your legs
Kbasa is going at it from an endurance POV. For those of us who are riding with guys that can really climb, it becomes a matter of 'keep it just below the red zone as long as you can without going over.'

...and hope that by the top of the hill you can still see the pack ahead of you.

AFA going down the hill: you're really only going 10% or so faster if you really try going downhill. So spin out the legs and recover for the next uphill.

...AND... its better to attack the giant at the head, not the feet. IOW start a little slower than you *can* go up the hill with the intention of getting faster at the top. If you really want to demoralize someone attack just before the crest of the hill. Many people consider the climb 'over' when they can see the top. DAMHIK that it sucks to get to that last bit and see some SOB going full-bore over the top.

Still sick. No riding since Mon. I may try and toodle for an hour or so this PM 'cause this cold doesn't seem to be migrating to my lungs.

Oh, and updates: ordered 3 pair of rims from china the other week. Got word that they're shipped out. Ordered many many spokes yesterday AM. So far, I'm into 3 pair of wheels for appx $850. $1k if you include the 2 tubulars I ordered with the spokes.

M
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #29974
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:

I grind up a hill slowly (well, I'm slow no matter what, but we'll say slow for *me*) and then try to put in more effort the further up the hill I go. I don't stand up on the pedals until I'm halfway up it or feel like I"m gonna die, whichever comes first.

I read a lot about Team Rwanda, whom I'm a huge fan of, and one thing their coach said over and over was 'never ever stop pedaling' so even if I'm just coasting, I still spin a little. It seems to be beneficial in keeping my legs warm & my muscles activated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #29975
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
They've (Osmo) got that hyper hydrytion (sic),have you also tried that ?
Not tried that yet. I'm really cost-conscious on my hydration powders since i use so much of it. The tailwind is $39.99 for a 3lb bag and lasts me for about a month +/-. Osmo is great for the recovery but just too expensive for their other products.

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #29976
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
always pedal.

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #29977
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
Had a big long reply all but complete and touched who knows what and poof! Gone. not real happy with that.

Short versioin: Thanks for the pointers.

Did some more research;
Garmin FR70 is the low end of the totem scale which I did know, and fond it only plays with Garmin stuff.
The right ANT+ tools are Wahoo Sports. Though the new kid on the block are the lower power BT 4.0, called Blue SC by them. These sensors interface to BT on a smartphone, just not my old iPhone4. Looks Daddy will get the upgrade come Fall.

Things I like to look at are cadence, speed, maps, and HR now that I've done that.
I found it interesting how I could pop my HR up to 167 near the end of an almost 2 hour ride. My long ride today got postponed to Sunday. So this afternoon will be another spinner for a couple hours, to loosen up.
I'm going to begin looking into stuff for editing GPX files/merging. For now I'll keep using my now antique phone and the basic HRM. It still irritates me I am forced to use Garmin's site to view my HR data.

That old 2610 with the high zoot mount on the adventure will end up being just another part of the vintage bling when I sell the thing.

Thanks again Gummee!
I looked at some old training diaries the other evening, I'm less than 30 pounds heavier, and about 7 mph slower on average than when I was at my peak. Not too bad for a cube-dweller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
There really isn't much else GPS computer-wise that uploads unless you hit up the UK shops and get a Brighton.Garmin blocked em from selling em in the US. Even more reason to buy one!

...and you don't HAVE to upload to either strava or garmin connect. There's several other sites: Golden Cheetah, Training Peaks, etc

M
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #29978
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
OK, back from the ride.
Felt good. Never used the granny, and even had to shift up a gear to stand on the pedals for the first of the return hill.

HR stuff:

Raised my average a bit, and maxed at 169.

The wind worked me a bit at the start, but shifted around some mostly to my advantage.

Finally.
The Strava,

My speeds are getting up there it's time to start hills.
I need to map out a road route to the beach and back. I know part of it, and I know it involves a hell of a lot more hills than I want.
Oh, well so much for gaining more PR's on the weekends.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #29979
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Thanks again Gummee!
I looked at some old training diaries the other evening, I'm less than 30 pounds heavier, and about 7 mph slower on average than when I was at my peak. Not too bad for a cube-dweller.
You're not doing too bad for an olde pharte.

I'm still in the 175-ish range despite the waistline still going down slightly. That's still 20# heavier than at my lightest, but only 10# heavier than any time after I graduated college.

I think all the hefting of lawn furniture bikes into and out of my workstand is adding muscle while keeping my metabolism higher than just sitting around surfing the innerwebs

[blows nose]

Colds suck

M
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #29980
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
Well, we can put a check mark next to the Death Ride entry on my to do list.

What a truly epic ride. By the end of the day, I was pretty wasted, but the ice cream on Carson was tasty. I'm pretty wasted today, so I'll put together a fuller report tomorrow.

Summary: 120+ miles. 15K. 5 passes finished. A new high speed for me: 50mph.

Yeah. I think I'm good on this one. No need to do this again.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #29981
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,745
Sweet.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #29982
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,478

Good job.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #29983
Alchemist76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I climbed a cat 4 the other day, my first ever and thought I was a badass...

Incredible.

Congratulations.

Alchemist76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #29984
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
It is slightly better to keep the legs turning. But often in a race you are going fast down hill too. Which usually means either going fast around corners or being in an aerodynamic tuck, or both. You can't pedal while tucked and you don't get much pedalling done while cornering fast.

As soon as the grade lessens to where you can pedal, you will be pedalling as hard as is required to be in the race.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #29985
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Yeah. I think I'm good on this one. No need to do this again.
Good job finishing! It is quite an accomplishment.

When I did my first one I suffered terribly from hyponatremia (knowledge about electrolyes was not as plentiful then and I had no idea I might need them). On the drive back to the motel I told my wife I was never ever going to do that again. Two weeks later I'd forgotten the misery and was planning for next year.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: