User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,363
Anyone have any experience with a fixed gear track bike...?

They seem like a whole new animal, no brakes except to slow pedaling?

I like a challenge, but will I kill myself on one?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #17
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
I was just shopping for a new bike yesterday. I just ride around town and pull a Burley with my kids in it so I wasn't looking for anything too expensive or with any suspension. This is the bike that stood out most for me:

Trek 7.3 Disk. $600.
I saw one of those in the shop the other week. Sweet.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:13 AM   #18
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Anyone have any experience with a fixed gear track bike...?

They seem like a whole new animal, no brakes except to slow pedaling?

Start with a dual-braked singlespeed, then switch to a fixed gear wheel (they fit in the same frame), and remove the rear brake when you're comfortable. For your area, I would leave the front brake on regardless.

You may not kill yourself, but maiming and permanent scarring is quite likely.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:18 AM   #19
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
There is a good chance you'll struggle. Stiff hub bikes are super fun but take a special kind of personality.

I'd say the cyclecross style could be for you. I just saw a nice Bianchi on ebay last night. Or, if you're super tall, I have on I can sell cheap. I built a Bridgestone (now Rivendale as suggested earlier) X0-2 up for my brother who lives in Brooklyn. Drop bars (like a road bike) but mountain bike sized wheels, road gearing in the front with a 12-32 tooth cassette in the back.

Putting a 50 or 52 tooth chain ring on your mountain bike is not a good idea. The chain will struggle to ramp up to that big of a plate.

Getting a TT bike with the clip on bars is also a tough idea. Those bikes are for riding fast in a straight line.

Flaco

Flaco screwed with this post 07-11-2006 at 07:48 AM
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #20
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Perry:

I made a road bike out of an older mountain bike and I love it. The ergos on moutain bikes are more back friendly than road bikes...at least that's my experience. You can do the gearing change significantly cheper than that 400 bucks. Hit Nashbars, Performances, Cambrias, etc clearance pages. If you do decide to go for a road bike, google closeout bikes, discount bikes, clearance bikes and the like. There are some killer deals to be had on last years uncool models. You can get an awesome bike for well under a grand and I recently viewed some quality clearance rides in the 5-6 hundred range.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #21
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
www.rscycle.com Road Bikes
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #22
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error
Start with a dual-braked singlespeed, then switch to a fixed gear wheel (they fit in the same frame), and remove the rear brake when you're comfortable. For your area, I would leave the front brake on regardless.

You may not kill yourself, but maiming and permanent scarring is quite likely.

So when you say singlespeed, that means I can stop pedaling i.e. coast?

Then when if I switch to fixed gear I will not be able to coast.

I agree, I'd never remove the front brake, especially in city. I guess I'd rather flip on myself than slam into a cab anyday
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #23
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Perry:

I made a road bike out of an older mountain bike and I love it. The ergos on moutain bikes are more back friendly than road bikes...at least that's my experience. You can do the gearing change significantly cheper than that 400 bucks. Hit Nashbars, Performances, Cambrias, etc clearance pages. If you do decide to go for a road bike, google closeout bikes, discount bikes, clearance bikes and the like. There are some killer deals to be had on last years uncool models. You can get an awesome bike for well under a grand and I recently viewed some quality clearance rides in the 5-6 hundred range.

Good advice, thanks Paul.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #24
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Or, if you're super tall
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #25
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,445
I don't get your gearing problem. I regularly ride my Trek mtn bike (hardtail, with slicks) in DC. When I'm in the top gear, I'm hitting close to 30 mph, which needless to say, is rare. This is with the stock Shimano 27 speed drivetrain.

Anyway, I find the mountain bike to be much mo' betta for the riding I do in the city than my road bike. The front fork sucks up the curbs, potholes, and tourists. Compared to my road bike, the upright position of the mountain bike is more comfy and gives me a great view and a lot of control when splitting traffic, etc.

All for what it's worth, of course...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #26
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
There is a good chance you'll struggle. Stiff hub bikes are super fun but take a special kind of personality.

I'd say the cyclecross style could be for you. I just saw a nice Bianchi on ebay last night. Or, if you're super tall, I have on I can sell cheap. I build a Bridgestone (now Rivendale as suggested earlier) X0-2 up for my brother who lives in Brooklyn. Drop bars (like a road bike) but mountain bike sized wheels, road gearing in the front with a 12-32 tooth cassette in the back.

Putting a 50 or 52 tooth chain ring on your mountain bike is not a good idea. The chain will struggle to ramp up to that big of a plate.

Getting a TT bike with the clip on bars is also a tough idea. Those bikes are for riding fast in a straight line.

Flaco

That's what I was told, that changing what already is a great MTN bike into a road is silly because of the ergos. My Klein is a really small frame (like 16") already.

Thanks (RE THE tall bike, but I'm 5'8".... ).

Basically I'll be riding pretty straight, no traffic as it will only be in the Park circuits or the riverside bike paths around city.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #27
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis
I don't get your gearing problem. I regularly ride my Trek mtn bike (hardtail, with slicks) in DC. When I'm in the top gear, I'm hitting close to 30 mph, which needless to say, is rare. This is with the stock Shimano 27 speed drivetrain.

Anyway, I find the mountain bike to be much mo' betta for the riding I do in the city than my road bike. The front fork sucks up the curbs, potholes, and tourists. Compared to my road bike, the upright position of the mountain bike is more comfy and gives me a great view and a lot of control when splitting traffic, etc.

All for what it's worth, of course...

I dunno, I rode my MTN bike on saturday, and I had it in the highest gears, and was pedaling way too much, like I was a gerbil on a treadmill. I have a 40 somethin large chainring.

I just want a road bike for cardio in the park at night, no commuting/city roads type riding. That I'll keep the MTN bike for (which I never do anyway since you can't lock one up here)
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #28
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek

F. U Andy, just for that I'm not paying my dentist...
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #29
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,430
Quote:
F. U Andy, just for that I'm not paying my dentist...
nobody else does, why should you.

how was the best man thing?
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #30
reorx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thumb Cross Bikes rule!!

Cyclocross bikes are the GS of the bicycle world... they're built tough and can handle just about anything you can throw at it. Its not the optimum choice for a road race or a serious trail ride but it can handle anything in between.

My personal suggestion would be to go for a steel frame (a little more forgiving) and get a good saddle. I picked up a steel Soma Fabrications for my wife this spring and she loves it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: