Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #29986
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,722
Great job!
Looking forward to the play by play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Well, we can put a check mark next to the Death Ride entry on my to do list.

What a truly epic ride. By the end of the day, I was pretty wasted, but the ice cream on Carson was tasty. I'm pretty wasted today, so I'll put together a fuller report tomorrow.

Summary: 120+ miles. 15K. 5 passes finished. A new high speed for me: 50mph.

Yeah. I think I'm good on this one. No need to do this again.

Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #29987
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
Great job, kbasa!!!!! That is fooking mental! This mere mortal has been putting in some decent efforts, getting ready for our 3 day trip to Vermont 1st week in august, which will be a blast as always...

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #29988
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:

What a truly epic ride. By the end of the day, I was pretty wasted, but the ice cream on Carson was tasty. I'm pretty wasted today, so I'll put together a fuller report tomorrow.

A hardman's ride.

Chapeau.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #29989
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
A hardman's ride.

Chapeau.
+1. Freakin' awesome
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #29990
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Ouch.

First day of hills, ugly yes.

At least it was hot and windy.

I kept my effort down so I could last for maybe 2 hours. Missed that. I was toast on the last bit past the school.
The percent grades calculated by STRAVA may be a little weird.
Sure felt hard though. On the steep climb form the bottom to the top of our hill I did have to pull off onto a side street in the shade and grab a drink. I was pumping at about 156 at that point. My rate dropped down to 112 and I headed up the last kick to the flat. Dropped down Kodiak to the house and re-iced the bottles and topped them up with water, and out on the course again. This time I rode over past the school and up a little hill behind it, over to another small hill big descent then up past the school and up Kodiak. Man, that is one long hill.

Very hot this afternoon.
Average heart rate was 127 and only maxed at 163. Hills kill my average speed. 11.3, but these are hills.
Check the Bryant piece and the Kodiak some steep be there.

This is going to feel better after work.

I hope.
Smugmug
Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #29991
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Ouch.

First day of hills, ugly yes.

At least it was hot and windy.

I kept my effort down so I could last for maybe 2 hours. Missed that. I was toast on the last bit past the school.
The percent grades calculated by STRAVA may be a little weird.
Sure felt hard though. On the steep climb form the bottom to the top of our hill I did have to pull off onto a side street in the shade and grab a drink. I was pumping at about 156 at that point. My rate dropped down to 112 and I headed up the last kick to the flat. Dropped down Kodiak to the house and re-iced the bottles and topped them up with water, and out on the course again. This time I rode over past the school and up a little hill behind it, over to another small hill big descent then up past the school and up Kodiak. Man, that is one long hill.

Very hot this afternoon.
Average heart rate was 127 and only maxed at 163. Hills kill my average speed. 11.3, but these are hills.
Check the Bryant piece and the Kodiak some steep be there.

This is going to feel better after work.

I hope.

That Bryant climb looks to be a real SOB...good onya.

In all the TDF/Death Ride excitement, I managed to get out for the first time in a week. It wasn't too dismal. I'm gonna be out of town for work towards the end of the week, so I'll be getting out before work Mon/Tues/Wed.

I made like a bear at the top of the climb and foraged for blackberries.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #29992
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Tales from the bike shop volume X+1:

So I'd just gotten reamed for something that happened in the shop 2 mos before I took over and was wandering back to the back of the shop to clock out and go home.

Guy's in line at the service counter with his bike and a receipt.

So I go punch out and come back to get ready to ride the K-RS home. Guy's now at the head of the line and is complaining that we just did an $80 tuneup and now his bike isn't shifing in the big ring.

So I take a cursory look at the bike and notice that the front derailleur cable is hanging loosely.

Tighten that cable back up and its good as gold.

Mentally I'm scratching my head that someone can't diagnose a minor issue like a cable swinging in the breeze and doesn't think to tighten it up before schlepping the bike all the way back to the shop.

I get that it was our fault that the bolt wasn't tightened enough. I get that we need to make it right. Both are either done or in the process of being done. I'm going to go over the bike with a comb on Monday.

What I don't get is the basic knowledge that you need to ride a bicycle has been lost somewhere in the aether. Stuff like knowing how to change a flat. ...like knowing that cables aren't supposed to swing loosely in the breeze. ... like knowing that if a pedal feels loose to stop effing riding on it ASAP or you'll end up buying a new crankarm (happened more than once last week). ...like how to adjust your stem. Not up and down. Side-to-side. Oh, and its not like you can't go on youtube or Park Tools' site and find eleventy billion 'how to adjust your stem' videos.

I have some SERIOUS job security. That's both a blessing and a curse.

M
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #29993
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,113
Home trainers

I've started using an inexpensive CycleOps trainer to make up for days when I can't ride. Anyone who has used one knows that the biggest challenge is fighting off boredom, so the trick seems to be to get a good workout in the shortest possible time. According to the sales guy, who also happens to be a Cat 3 racer, 1 mile on a trainer is worth about 2 miles on the road, due to the fact that you're constantly pedaling against resistance. Does this mean I can condense my usual 1 hour 'maintenance' rides into 30 minutes on the trainer?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #29994
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:

Outstanding accomplishment!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #29995
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
got a out for a short ride Saturday morning. I had done a 6 mile run/jog Friday night so my legs were a little yucky. Strava app puked on me because it kept losing signal. I had my GPS tucked in my camel back. 14.75 miles in 1hr 11min with 1189ft of climbing.thats on a full suspension 30+lb MTB with 1x9 gearing(36 with a 11-32 cassette) That is the flattest route I will be able to find. Everything else will have a lot more hills.

The damn climb right out of the gate is hurting me. its short(.25mi) and very steep, hard to get a cadence going so the LA is hurting me. I have a long long long way to go. The smooth skinny tires helped the rolling resistance a ton, topped out at 39.5mph on one decent. The FLEX on the frame seriously sucks, I was always a die hard for hardtails now I remember why. Out of the saddle attacks on a climb feels like I am on a very wet sloppy noodle.

Going to call to order the Cdale CX bike this week. Probably spend more time running until I can get it.

awesome job kbasa!!
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #29996
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
The FLEX on the frame seriously sucks, I was always a die hard for hardtails now I remember why. Out of the saddle attacks on a climb feels like I am on a very wet sloppy noodle.
That is why I got a hard tail.

Plus I'm 210lbs, I don't think they make full sussers that can handle me in full mash mode....and if they do I refuse to pay motorcycle money for them.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #29997
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:

Congrats! I knew you were up to it.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #29998
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Yes, Bryant is a tough climb. Back when I was running in the winter on that it took me about three tries to run the whole thing and not have to stop and rest.
The Kodiak climb has spots that are steep, but is quite long and normally out of the wind until you just crest the top. Climbing out of the wind would be nice except in the heat. That feels like trying to move around in an oven.

- Back when I was a machinist we would occasionally get farmed out to other departments when we ran out of work. Getting farmed out to heat treat was one of the lower levels of Dante's Inferno, without doubt. Loading an induction salt furnace with powdered salt is about as close as you can get to a controlled volcano vent or geyser. Exposed flesh gets "tanned". You learn to breathe when you are looking away. The front of your body gets hot. You learn to wear that apron over brass belt buckles or take the belt off.
Opening the door to furnace and pulling out a basket of treated parts for quench makes opening a pizza oven seem like a hair dryer set on low. If the flame curtain doesn't come on a fireball comes out at you. This is why you stand to the side to open the door.
The guys that worked in there all the time were "different".

Back in 1984 when BMW brought out the K-Model liquid cooled in-line fours, I was a BMW motorcycle mechanic, and engineering student/bicycle racer.
We found that the new bike was drawing a lot of people into our crusty little shop who would not have otherwise ever been in that part of town and certainly never would have stopped anywhere other than a red light with all doors locked and windows up.
Motorcycle shops used to not be located in fashionable parts of the planet, low-rent was the watch-phrase.
Pretty much 100% of these folks couldn't tell a Kawasaki Ninja from a Harley. Yes, we had a guy call and argue with us that Tom Cruise was riding a BMW K-model in "Top Gear", and even came in to look at them and continued to argue.
No internet so we had nothing other than our collective wisdom. Which we withheld so he could be happy with his purchase.
We had a customer buy an airhead model these still required one to turn the fuel taps on and off. he rode his home, turned off the petcocks and a few days later called up irate that the bike would not start and now he had run the battery flat trying in vain to get it going.
He lived in the way, way upscale side of tow so we hustled over there with the sidecar, tools, spare fuel, battery chargers and jumpers.
Under his watchful eye, I hooked up my jumper cables to the bike, turned on the petcocks, and was about to hit the starter when he interrupted me, asking what I had just done.

I told him.

Turned on the fuel.

.... Oh.

Sheepishly admits he had failed to recall this.
We charged up his battery, and fired it up, checked the sync and left him to his further musings.

I think he brought us some very nice bagels and cream cheese as an apology.
We did get some stuff wrong or miss things every once in a while but quickly made things right.
One of my favorites was the guy who owned a benz repair shop and bought a Sears battery on a trip to Mardi Gras.
These had the terminals backwards, so you had to flip the battery around.
he didn't. Hit the starter. The current lit up the wiring loom, which managed to set the bike on fire and burn it to the pavement in the light rain in the parking lot of a motel.
Two other customers did similar things at their own homes, though managing to turn off the ignition so only the $$$$ loom was all that melted.

We've all probably watched people pinch tubes fitting them. I've seen a guy do it three times, using up all his spares and insisting they were faulty as he lectured us on how it was done properly.
We were 60 miles from my house, I patched one of his tubes, took the wheel away from him and installed them correctly and they held air.
I've since learned even more tricks with tires and tubes, that even works on a motorcycle. Go watch Neduro or Pyndon change tires. There is video around here some place. Same idea works on bicycle tires.

And one last...
A group of racers and promoters and parents in Northern Colorado came up with this great idea to expose kids to racing in a controlled way. They had loaner gear too. Bikes, shoes and what not.
I picked up a loaner bike for my oldest daughter who expressed interest. I think she got out of part of her school day and wrote a report on the experience. It lasted a month meeting a a road race track north of town in the early afternoon once a week. It was fun.
Now, the weird part. The loaner bike had been re-built by a group of trainee mechanics. I began checking the bike out to fit it to my daughter and noticed things didn't seem all that good. I pulled the front wheel and the bearings seemed bad. Pulled the cones and what do you know the bearings were in backwards. Caged rollers, in fact every bearing on the entire bike was in backwards.
I converted them all to lose ball, and greased and adjusted everything so the bike shifted and stopped and steered.

Yeah my daughter was the only girl in the bunch of kids and the youngest, but she was also one of the tallest and her dad had lectured her on spinning, and we'd practiced that. She beat most of the boys and was annoyed she couldn't beat all of them. Just a little bit competitive maybe.
That one boy was about 2 years older and on a full aero tubed and Campy bike. I'd only seen a few of those around and very few real ones on the road.

Last time we raced was a foot race in the sand, in the dark on a beach. I tripped but she was out running me before that.
I bet she can't beat me now though. I'm training.
Smugmug
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #29999
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
What I don't get is the basic knowledge that you need to ride a bicycle has been lost somewhere in the aether. Stuff like knowing how to change a flat. ...like knowing that cables aren't supposed to swing loosely in the breeze. ... like knowing that if a pedal feels loose to stop effing riding on it ASAP or you'll end up buying a new crankarm (happened more than once last week). ...like how to adjust your stem. Not up and down. Side-to-side. Oh, and its not like you can't go on youtube or Park Tools' site and find eleventy billion 'how to adjust your stem' videos.

M
A. Most people just want to climb the bike and ride
B. Most people do not care enough to delve into knowing how the bike works
C. Why get your hands dirty when you can take the bike to a shop and get it fixed? It is about priorities.
D.........
Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #30000
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Question for you guys about demo saddle ethics

I got talked into taking the LHT on RAGBRAI. I'd been planning on getting a nice saddle for it at some point, and I think maybe having one for RAGBRAI would be nice. Looking around, it seems the Titanico X is supposed to be a pretty good saddle, especially for larger fellas like myself.

I got to one of the smaller local shops because I remembered the guy had one on display. Turns out it is a demo, and from what I can tell nobody has used it before. I explain to the guy my situation, and he pretty much offers to let me take it for a week. I said no then because it seemed like kind of a skeezy thing for me to do, borrow somebody's leather saddle for a week chock full of riding.

But after I left I got thinking... If I borrowed it for a week and it didn't suck, I'd pretty much have to order one, right? And that's what demos are for right? RAGBRAI would be a pretty extreme demo certainly, but now I'm wondering whether I should go back and ask about that long demo again. I can't imagine the thing cost the shop dude any money.

What say the inmates?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: