Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #30001
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Question for you guys about demo saddle ethics

I got talked into taking the LHT on RAGBRAI. I'd been planning on getting a nice saddle for it at some point, and I think maybe having one for RAGBRAI would be nice. Looking around, it seems the Titanico X is supposed to be a pretty good saddle, especially for larger fellas like myself.

I got to one of the smaller local shops because I remembered the guy had one on display. Turns out it is a demo, and from what I can tell nobody has used it before. I explain to the guy my situation, and he pretty much offers to let me take it for a week. I said no then because it seemed like kind of a skeezy thing for me to do, borrow somebody's leather saddle for a week chock full of riding.

But after I left I got thinking... If I borrowed it for a week and it didn't suck, I'd pretty much have to order one, right? And that's what demos are for right? RAGBRAI would be a pretty extreme demo certainly, but now I'm wondering whether I should go back and ask about that long demo again. I can't imagine the thing cost the shop dude any money.

What say the inmates?
demos are demos, flog it for as long as they are willing to let you. I flog all the demo motorcycles i get a chance to ride

Just because you "think" it looks unused doesnt mean someone else hasnt soaked it in swamp ass for a month
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #30002
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,638
heck, if the shop guy offered, why not? do it! it's a demo; that's what they're for.

what's the worst that could happen? you try it and don't like it for no cost, or you try it and like it and have to buy one?

cheers!

Quote:

I got talked into taking the LHT on RAGBRAI. I'd been planning on getting a nice saddle for it at some point, and I think maybe having one for RAGBRAI would be nice. Looking around, it seems the Titanico X is supposed to be a pretty good saddle, especially for larger fellas like myself.

I got to one of the smaller local shops because I remembered the guy had one on display. Turns out it is a demo, and from what I can tell nobody has used it before. I explain to the guy my situation, and he pretty much offers to let me take it for a week. I said no then because it seemed like kind of a skeezy thing for me to do, borrow somebody's leather saddle for a week chock full of riding.

But after I left I got thinking... If I borrowed it for a week and it didn't suck, I'd pretty much have to order one, right? And that's what demos are for right? RAGBRAI would be a pretty extreme demo certainly, but now I'm wondering whether I should go back and ask about that long demo again. I can't imagine the thing cost the shop dude any money.

What say the inmates?

'02 GS Adv

zouch screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 02:30 PM Reason: cuz' i can't spell...
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #30003
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:

What say the inmates?
So long as you take your tried and trusted daily riding saddle with you to swap out... I don't see a problem. Ride the demo for a few days to gain a perspective. RAGBRAI is perfect proving grounds for equipment success or failure with so much infrastructure and support along the way.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #30004
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Alright, I'm letting myself get talked into it I emailed the guy at the shop and he's letting me borrow it for the week. Sweet!!,

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #30005
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,045
New saddle on your first long ride?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #30006
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Yeah, that was my thought as well. When I bought my new bike, it came with a high $ saddle, and I tried my hardest to like it, but just couldn't get used to it. I tried a handful of other pricy saddles off the buy/swap/trade thread on bike forum, and ended up going and buying another low end sella italia like I had on my first bike. I sure as heck would want a known comfy saddle for something like that ride.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #30007
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,638
i ASSuMEd it was a given that he'd take a long his known current saddle,..
of course, if he's looking at a new saddle, wouldn't it be because his current known saddle isn't working at he'd like it to?

BTW; rode past the "Go Kbasa!" pavement painting on Pinehurst while you were touring the California Alps and thought of you. sounds like it went well; congrats!

cheers!

Quote:

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #30008
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps not the most well advised thing, but I'm planning g on bringing basically all of my saddles with me. That way I can suffer in a new way each day!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #30009
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,765
OK, stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Wow.
Pinned my heart at 173 on the steep face. Hot? yes it was. No cramps so I hydrated well. Legs took a beating. I did have to pull over after bouncing off the rev-limiter.

I'm thinking we're going to be alternating spinning with some climbing. I did consider that this evening then said what the heck. Let's see what's in the tank.

When I stopped up there for a bit, I was pretty wobbly. I think if I spin tomorrow the next night I should be able to top that thing.
Oh, and there are more challenges out there we do have some steep around here. And I haven't even got to the long and steep yet. Wait till you see that stuff.
As John Stewart would have it, here's your moment of Strava,

Something I figured out, I can import the GPX from Strava to GarminConnect and get weather data that way. Still have not figured a way to merge the two files and sync them by time. But for now, a cheap trick.
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 07:01 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #30010
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps not the most well advised thing, but I'm planning g on bringing basically all of my saddles with me. That way I can suffer in a new way each day!
So you can be uncomfortable in a different spot every day?

Saddles are hard to sort, that's for sure. I love my Adamo.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #30011
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
i ASSuMEd it was a given that he'd take a long his known current saddle,..
of course, if he's looking at a new saddle, wouldn't it be because his current known saddle isn't working at he'd like it to?

BTW; rode past the "Go Kbasa!" pavement painting on Pinehurst while you were touring the California Alps and thought of you. sounds like it went well; congrats!

cheers!

I thought that would be gone by now. Yeah, DR went well, though it was tough as hell. I'm posting about it over in the You Hate Cancer. I Hate Cancer thread over in JM.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #30012
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:

What say the inmates?

I don't see why not Wallbike will sell you a saddle and you can ride it for ..I'm thinking 6 months,and then send it back for a full refund. They only sell Brooks and Berthoud though.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #30013
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
A. Most people just want to climb the bike and ride
B. Most people do not care enough to delve into knowing how the bike works
C. Why get your hands dirty when you can take the bike to a shop and get it fixed? It is about priorities.
D.........
I know it happens because I've seen it. People having a small issue mid-ride and getting off and walking home.

If you've got a smart phone, there's a bike repair app (that Mr Head linked to above) so it isn't like you don't have resources. ...even on a ride!

The whole 'WhyTF?! are you bringing this to me when the solution is obvious!' thing may be why I'm a mechanic.

From the time I got my first 'real' bike, an 87 Rockhopper, and started to ride it, I discovered that if you ride a bike things WILL go wrong. You either ride with someone that knows how to fix em or learn to fix em yourself 'cause its a freaking LONG hike-a-bike out of the national forest!

M
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #30014
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,443
Re: saddles

I've been trying to find a replacement saddle for the Selle Flite I've had for years, and finally have found one I like. It is a Selle Flite Flow 145 mm x 275, with the cutout. It turns out I was using too narrow of a saddle. I have a new 131 x 275mm Selle SLR Flow, new in package. PM if interested...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #30015
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
So you can be uncomfortable in a different spot every day?

Saddles are hard to sort, that's for sure. I love my Adamo.
I'm fairly confident that I'll like the Titanico (knock on wood) but there is certainly some risk involved...

Could be worse I figure. I hear those Brooks saddles take ages to break in. And how do you know if you like it until it breaks in?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: