User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #30001
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,417
I squeezed in 16.5mi(9 of that gravel) with 1400ft of climbing in 1hr 33min yesterday. Lots of gravel/mud high water from the morning storms. I seen more Side by Sides than cars. I hit a nice little downhill gravel section with exposed sandstone, i was jumping off them and laughing the entire time, felt like I was 12 years old again.

When I was a kid we had an awesome gravel hill fairly close to town with big bedrock sticking out of it, about 1.5 miles all down. You could hit those rocks and fly for a LONG ways on a BMX bike. We would have to ride 8 miles out through the country to get to the top. We would do that 3-4 times during the day in the summer and when dad got home from work he would haul us to the top one more time in the evening. Good Times

my wife is baffled as to why I am buying another bicycle when I have a few motorcycles. Its just a different type of fun and reminds me of a lot of great times I had as a kid. My entire childhood revolved around riding bikes. Thats ALL I did until I discovered chasing girls was easier in a car

FYI Strava does NOT support a garmin Montana 650t

little bit of solitude is good for you, the ergon knock offs have helped reduce some of my wrist pain.

IMG_2007 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

Rider_WV screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 05:59 AM
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #30002
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Don't hold your breath. Seems that we get rain most rides.

M
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #30003
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I squeezed in 16.5mi(9 of that gravel) with 1400ft of climbing in 1hr 33min yesterday. Lots of gravel/mud high water from the morning storms. I seen more Side by Sides than cars. I hit a nice little downhill gravel section with exposed sandstone, i was jumping off them and laughing the entire time, felt like I was 12 years old again.

When I was a kid we had an awesome gravel hill fairly close to town with big bedrock sticking out of it, about 1.5 miles all down. You could hit those rocks and fly for a LONG ways on a BMX bike. We would have to ride 8 miles out through the country to get to the top. We would do that 3-4 times during the day in the summer and when dad got home from work he would haul us to the top one more time in the evening. Good Times

my wife is baffled as to why I am buying another bicycle when I have a few motorcycles. Its just a different type of fun and reminds me of a lot of great times I had as a kid. My entire childhood revolved around riding bikes. Thats ALL I did until I discovered chasing girls was easier in a car

FYI Strava does NOT support a garmin Montana 650t
outstanding! Is this the CAADX?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #30004
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
outstanding! Is this the CAADX?
Still riding the Salsa El santo right now. I ordered a SuperX Carbon with Rival group, should be in Thursday or Friday. Will get a couple of good rides in this weekend with it hopefully. Temps are suppose to drop back down into the low 80's this week
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #30005
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Still riding the Salsa El santo right now. I ordered a SuperX Carbon with Rival group, should be in Thursday or Friday. Will get a couple of good rides in this weekend with it hopefully. Temps are suppose to drop back down into the low 80's this week
Rock on!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #30006
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,113
Quote:
Holy hell that SuperX is nice.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #30007
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Holy hell that SuperX is nice.
I hope it rides as good as it looks I was hesitant to go carbon but the frame has lifetime warranty for original owner and the '13 model had a good discount.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #30008
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Daddy daycare today:

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #30009
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
So I was putting the pedal wrench back into its tool case the other day when I noticed the name on the case for the first time.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #30010
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I just wanted to note for everybody that my first ride on the Selle Anatomica yesterday was pretty nice! That's good but it also means I'll have to buy one when I get home

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #30011
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I just wanted to note for everybody that my first ride on the Selle Anatomica yesterday was pretty nice! That's good but it also means I'll have to buy one when I get home
Well shit - other than that, how's Ragbrai so far?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #30012
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Looking at getting a bit more serious...

Bought my Giant Defy 3 June 10 and have been using it regularly...~450 miles so far. Started slowly, for fitness, but am getting hooked and a typical week is becoming ~80 miles/ week. Not as awesome as some, but I am happy with it

I want to do a century in Florida in early September, as well as the 3 gap 50 ride in late September in the GA mountains. It is ~ 60 miles with lots of elevation...it is a pretty serious ride and will be challenging as hell for me.

Questions-
1. I do not believe the Defy 3 (Good frame, carbon fork w/ Sora group) is holding me back at present, but I can get a good trade in at the shop- is it worth upgrading? Will I notice a difference by getting a "better bike?"...I do like the Giant, but it has heavy wheels, is a 9 speed with entry level bits all around.

2. For the mountain ride, I think I want to swap from the stock 12-27 cassette to a 12-30. Are there other, better options? I can climb with the stock gears, but cadence goes down and heart rate goes up!

Appreciate the advice I have already gotten on this thread; it has been helpful.

My initial plan was to use the Defy 3 for fitness, and get back on a mountain bike seriously...but all of the opportunities to ride a roadie have become addicting.

Thanks

DLdeano screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:45 PM
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #30013
ericm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
if the contact points (seat, bars, pedals, levers) all work for you then the gains from upgrading are marginal at best.
A better bike might feel better but a good part of that is the placbo effect, along with the lighter wallet effect- anything you lay out a lot of money for must be awesome.

That bike is perfectly fine for what you have planned.

I agree that the 12-30 cassette is a good idea. Shimano's spec is a 27t or 28t max cog but they are conservative. I have used 30t cogs with 7700 and 7900 derailleurs. Simiarly the wrap spec is conservative. I've been able to run a 50/34 front and 12-30 rear with 7900 (which has a wrap spec a few teeth more than older Shimano road derailleurs).

When pushing the limits like this with gearing you need to be careful with chain length. Make it JUST long enough to go over the big/big combo. You're not supposed to use that but it's on long climbing rides where your brain checks out and you are likely to make mistakes. If the chain is too short you will break the derailleur and your ride will be done.

Finishing a big hilly ride is all about training beforehand, pacing on the day, and making sure you eat and drink. If you can learn to eat and drink while climbing that will help a lot.

The MTB racers I know do a lot of training on road bikes.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #30014
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
If you wander on over to Morgantown, my riding buddy is out with the guys that put on the Hilly Billy Roubaix again. ...and I'm not.

M
Old 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #30015
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
if the contact points (seat, bars, pedals, levers) all work for you then the gains from upgrading are marginal at best.
A better bike might feel better but a good part of that is the placbo effect, along with the lighter wallet effect- anything you lay out a lot of money for must be awesome.

That bike is perfectly fine for what you have planned.
If it ain't wore out, don't bother. You paid for it, use it up, THEN upgrade.

Besides. Except for the top of the line TCR w the ISP frame, all the Giant frames are pretty darn similar if not the same (I'm too lazy to go google what carbon they're using in each).

Quote:
I agree that the 12-30 cassette is a good idea. Shimano's spec is a 27t or 28t max cog but they are conservative. I have used 30t cogs with 7700 and 7900 derailleurs. Simiarly the wrap spec is conservative. I've been able to run a 50/34 front and 12-30 rear with 7900 (which has a wrap spec a few teeth more than older Shimano road derailleurs).

When pushing the limits like this with gearing you need to be careful with chain length. Make it JUST long enough to go over the big/big combo. You're not supposed to use that but it's on long climbing rides where your brain checks out and you are likely to make mistakes. If the chain is too short you will break the derailleur and your ride will be done.
Exactly. Make sure the chain you have will wrap than many gears BEFORE you go adding that pie plate the day before the big ride.

Quote:
Finishing a big hilly ride is all about training beforehand, pacing on the day, and making sure you eat and drink. If you can learn to eat and drink while climbing that will help a lot.
+1 If there's no hills, then intervals help. They don't replace climbing, but they help.

Quote:
The MTB racers I know do a lot of training on road bikes.
That's because you can ride a road bike day in and day out without beating up you OR your bike. ...As well as fitness gains from pedaling pretty consistently, unlike the 'anaerobic interval up the hill then coast down the hill' of mtn biking.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: