User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 262 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #30046
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Wait a minute, your hearts don't go above 190?

I've seen a couple posts about people's hr's here and they seem low to me.

I do my long races @ 170-175, short races at 180+ vs. my max I've seen on my Garmin of 193 (also during a race). I'm 34.

I posted this in the other thread but should've posted here:
Here's mine on the rack after this weekend's race. I'm loving the scalpel, its a blast. Well over 500mi this year now so far. Rode in the clydesdale class and beat everybody in my heat, but I was a lot less clydesdale-y than the rest of them at 215# and 6'4. Not sure I'll do that again vs. just running my age group.

And here's the strava from that race:
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #30047
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,187
I'm 48 and I redline @185 BPM
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #30048
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
Wait a minute, your hearts don't go above 190?

I've seen a couple posts about people's hr's here and they seem low to me.

I do my long races @ 170-175, short races at 180+ vs. my max I've seen on my Garmin of 193 (also during a race). I'm 34.
It varies by age. A rough estimate of a person's max. heart rate is 220 minus their age in years, so in your case it would be around 186 BPM, while for me it would be 168 BPM.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #30049
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Don't believe those numbers. Strava has no way to accurately read power output, unless you have a power meter on your bike. Strava gives my average power output as 297 Watts, which is nonsense.

I know that was being a bit sarcastic.

I'm not riding far enough to training for anything so sensors and whatnot aren't really a high priority for me.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #30050
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,187
Yup.
I figured this bicycle stuff turned my clock back almost 15 years.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #30051
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,551
Maximum HR is not so much a measure of a person's fitness level as is their reserve heart rate and length at which they can maintain exertion throughout their threshold. I'm 38yo and typically max out at 180-185 on really hard efforts. That said, I can maintain my output at 170-175 for quite a long time because I've trained my fitness to those thresholds. We have a local racer that is 62 years old and regularly thrashes guys 1/3 his age. A lot of that is skill, tactics and strategy, but he also has a threshold level that most athletes envy.

HR can be a finicky mistress if used for training purposes. Much more so as one progresses into racing competitively and trying to peak for certain periods and/or specific races. Power is a much better metric to use for training as it encompasses all of the variables and is much more stable.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #30052
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Maximum HR is not so much a measure of a person's fitness level as is their reserve heart rate and length at which they can maintain exertion throughout their threshold. I'm 38yo and typically max out at 180-185 on really hard efforts. That said, I can maintain my output at 170-175 for quite a long time because I've trained my fitness to those thresholds.
Sounds about right. My max. HR is supposed to be around 168 BPM, using the 220-age calculation, but I average in the mid to upper 150's on my rides.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #30053
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
To put things in perspective HR-wise, I get on the bike and the Garmin says ~55bpm.

I start riding and I can tootle down the road in the 80s. I get going at 100. I'm working at 130. I've seen 159 this season, but that's as high as its gotten.

I can maintain 140-145 for a long time, but get higher than 145 or so and I'm in trouble.

M
Old 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #30054
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Fun riding with the fast guys, huh?
How do you like the 550?
Once I get some more real road miles under my belt I figure I can ride with the shops early morning rides some weekends.
Last night I got caught by three young, semi-fast guys, and sat it for a bit until the masher at the front slowed down to slower than I wanted to go. I went to the front since the other two guys seemed to be just hanging out and wound it back up to where I had been when they caught me.
Dropped them.
So into the wind I figured I'd see what I had, and wound it to 20 mph and hung there until I got to the construction.Long light let me recover quite well. When they caught me out in the wind again, I spun up to the back, and just sat.
That's what those young guys are for. Motors to tow us old fat guys around.
It's a great feeling to see marked improvement over time! You sound like you are getting stronger by the day... 550? Do you mean the Garmin? It is a 500, and I like to be able to see my total mileage, average speed, routes, etc. VT in 2 weeks!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #30055
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,847
Yes, the 500.
I'm thinking eventually of migrating to one device.
One ring to rule them all...
As far as I got myself out of shape daily improvement with regular workouts is easy at this stage.
Though today I am beat a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
It's a great feeling to see marked improvement over time! You sound like you are getting stronger by the day... 550? Do you mean the Garmin? It is a 500, and I like to be able to see my total mileage, average speed, routes, etc. VT in 2 weeks!!!
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #30056
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Heart rate.
For me my resting pulse has always been low. at times low enough that some would think there was a problem.
In high school when they first took notice of this during a pre-season physical, (Our team doctor was one for the Denver Bronco's. No, we were not that good, the workout facility was near our school and one of our coaches and the doc were buddies.). Anyway they noted my pulse at 23. I was 15 or 16.
After getting married 7 or 8 years later it was measured again when the company I worked for had a big company-wide physical. Two things I recall from that, first they had us blow into a tube and hold a ball at the top of a column. I blew into the tube and held the ball there more than twice as long as anybody else had. And second, they tried to retire me on medical because my heart rate was too low along with my blood pressure. My family doctor who had known me since I was 3 or so said nope, normal for me.

Now the BP isn't that low. I forget what it is, but it isn't real low, thanks to work and inactivity.

My heart rate is coming back down. Resting I'm normally around 45 to 50. When I warm up I figure I'm warm when I'm spinning with little effort at 120-ish.
I currently easily work hard and average 140 bpm for two hours. That is probably about as hard as I can sustain for that period on average. My max so far seems to be 173.
The last day I climbed I noticed it was there and I had about 200 feet to get to a level, shaded stopping point. When I stopped I was wobbly, not light-headed yet, but definitely worked.

Last night I noticed I could push into the 150's and hold my effort there for a while, maybe a minute, which felt like five.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #30057
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Last night I noticed I could push into the 150's and hold my effort there for a while, maybe a minute, which felt like five.
. I don't understand how someone of my age and physical condition can maintain a higher heart rate than you and Gummee.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #30058
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Obviously Gummee! and I are incredible physical specimens in some sort of beyond category level of conditioning.

I just finished a hard workout where STRAVA says I hit over a Kilowatt of output no less.
And my pulse here at the computer after about 20 minutes is 67 bpm.
I averaged 130 for an hour 44, and bounced off the max a bit at 173.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
. I don't understand how someone of my age and physical condition can maintain a higher heart rate than you and Gummee.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #30059
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
You should see my HR charts in Garmin Connect. No straight lines anywhere. I can go from 'full gas legs on fire!' to 70-bpm in the space of a downhill.

Highest I've EVER seen was 181. That was right after college down at Haynes Pt. ...and that was 1994

M
Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #30060
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
What are you guys using for heart rate monitors?
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: