ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #30121
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,045
So I was putting the pedal wrench back into its tool case the other day when I noticed the name on the case for the first time.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #30122
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
I just wanted to note for everybody that my first ride on the Selle Anatomica yesterday was pretty nice! That's good but it also means I'll have to buy one when I get home
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #30123
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I just wanted to note for everybody that my first ride on the Selle Anatomica yesterday was pretty nice! That's good but it also means I'll have to buy one when I get home
Well shit - other than that, how's Ragbrai so far?
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #30124
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can
 
DLdeano's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: N. Georgia, USA
Oddometer: 949
Looking at getting a bit more serious...

Bought my Giant Defy 3 June 10 and have been using it regularly...~450 miles so far. Started slowly, for fitness, but am getting hooked and a typical week is becoming ~80 miles/ week. Not as awesome as some, but I am happy with it

I want to do a century in Florida in early September, as well as the 3 gap 50 ride in late September in the GA mountains. It is ~ 60 miles with lots of elevation...it is a pretty serious ride and will be challenging as hell for me.

Questions-
1. I do not believe the Defy 3 (Good frame, carbon fork w/ Sora group) is holding me back at present, but I can get a good trade in at the shop- is it worth upgrading? Will I notice a difference by getting a "better bike?"...I do like the Giant, but it has heavy wheels, is a 9 speed with entry level bits all around.

2. For the mountain ride, I think I want to swap from the stock 12-27 cassette to a 12-30. Are there other, better options? I can climb with the stock gears, but cadence goes down and heart rate goes up!

Appreciate the advice I have already gotten on this thread; it has been helpful.

My initial plan was to use the Defy 3 for fitness, and get back on a mountain bike seriously...but all of the opportunities to ride a roadie have become addicting.

Thanks

DLdeano screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 05:45 PM
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #30125
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Oddometer: 326
if the contact points (seat, bars, pedals, levers) all work for you then the gains from upgrading are marginal at best.
A better bike might feel better but a good part of that is the placbo effect, along with the lighter wallet effect- anything you lay out a lot of money for must be awesome.

That bike is perfectly fine for what you have planned.

I agree that the 12-30 cassette is a good idea. Shimano's spec is a 27t or 28t max cog but they are conservative. I have used 30t cogs with 7700 and 7900 derailleurs. Simiarly the wrap spec is conservative. I've been able to run a 50/34 front and 12-30 rear with 7900 (which has a wrap spec a few teeth more than older Shimano road derailleurs).

When pushing the limits like this with gearing you need to be careful with chain length. Make it JUST long enough to go over the big/big combo. You're not supposed to use that but it's on long climbing rides where your brain checks out and you are likely to make mistakes. If the chain is too short you will break the derailleur and your ride will be done.

Finishing a big hilly ride is all about training beforehand, pacing on the day, and making sure you eat and drink. If you can learn to eat and drink while climbing that will help a lot.

The MTB racers I know do a lot of training on road bikes.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #30126
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Still riding the Salsa El santo right now. I ordered a SuperX Carbon with Rival group, should be in Thursday or Friday. Will get a couple of good rides in this weekend with it hopefully. Temps are suppose to drop back down into the low 80's this week
If you wander on over to Morgantown, my riding buddy is out with the guys that put on the Hilly Billy Roubaix again. ...and I'm not.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #30127
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
if the contact points (seat, bars, pedals, levers) all work for you then the gains from upgrading are marginal at best.
A better bike might feel better but a good part of that is the placbo effect, along with the lighter wallet effect- anything you lay out a lot of money for must be awesome.

That bike is perfectly fine for what you have planned.
If it ain't wore out, don't bother. You paid for it, use it up, THEN upgrade.

Besides. Except for the top of the line TCR w the ISP frame, all the Giant frames are pretty darn similar if not the same (I'm too lazy to go google what carbon they're using in each).

Quote:
I agree that the 12-30 cassette is a good idea. Shimano's spec is a 27t or 28t max cog but they are conservative. I have used 30t cogs with 7700 and 7900 derailleurs. Simiarly the wrap spec is conservative. I've been able to run a 50/34 front and 12-30 rear with 7900 (which has a wrap spec a few teeth more than older Shimano road derailleurs).

When pushing the limits like this with gearing you need to be careful with chain length. Make it JUST long enough to go over the big/big combo. You're not supposed to use that but it's on long climbing rides where your brain checks out and you are likely to make mistakes. If the chain is too short you will break the derailleur and your ride will be done.
Exactly. Make sure the chain you have will wrap than many gears BEFORE you go adding that pie plate the day before the big ride.

Quote:
Finishing a big hilly ride is all about training beforehand, pacing on the day, and making sure you eat and drink. If you can learn to eat and drink while climbing that will help a lot.
+1 If there's no hills, then intervals help. They don't replace climbing, but they help.

Quote:
The MTB racers I know do a lot of training on road bikes.
That's because you can ride a road bike day in and day out without beating up you OR your bike. ...As well as fitness gains from pedaling pretty consistently, unlike the 'anaerobic interval up the hill then coast down the hill' of mtn biking.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #30128
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I just wanted to note for everybody that my first ride on the Selle Anatomica yesterday was pretty nice! That's good but it also means I'll have to buy one when I get home
I have one point.
Make sure you keep the tension up on it.... It may loosen over the ride.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #30129
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
FYI Strava does NOT support a garmin Montana 650t
Are you able to import a .gpx file from the GPS? If so, you can manually upload the file to Strava.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #30130
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
Questions-
1. I do not believe the Defy 3 (Good frame, carbon fork w/ Sora group) is holding me back at present, but I can get a good trade in at the shop- is it worth upgrading? Will I notice a difference by getting a "better bike?"...I do like the Giant, but it has heavy wheels, is a 9 speed with entry level bits all around.
You should certainly notice a difference, but getting a test ride on the "better bike" will do a much better job of answering your question than anything you'll read here. Just be aware that there is a point of diminishing returns. Carbon fiber costs a fortune compared to aluminum, and a bike costing twice as much is certainly not going to be twice as good as the one you have. It may only be marginally better.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #30131
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rider_WV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Leon, WV
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Are you able to import a .gpx file from the GPS? If so, you can manually upload the file to Strava.
yes sir thats what I ended up doing but I had turned the gps on here at work to connect to PC to upload the gpx and it added a giant straight line from home to work so it added like 11 miles to the file

I havent had the 650t very long so I am still learning it. Guess I will have to save up and get an edge 510. garmin has to love me by now.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #30132
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
Bought my Giant Defy 3 June 10 and have been using it regularly...~450 miles so far. Started slowly, for fitness, but am getting hooked and a typical week is becoming ~80 miles/ week. Not as awesome as some, but I am happy with it

I want to do a century in Florida in early September, as well as the 3 gap 50 ride in late September in the GA mountains. It is ~ 60 miles with lots of elevation...it is a pretty serious ride and will be challenging as hell for me.

Questions-
1. I do not believe the Defy 3 (Good frame, carbon fork w/ Sora group) is holding me back at present, but I can get a good trade in at the shop- is it worth upgrading? Will I notice a difference by getting a "better bike?"...I do like the Giant, but it has heavy wheels, is a 9 speed with entry level bits all around.

2. For the mountain ride, I think I want to swap from the stock 12-27 cassette to a 12-30. Are there other, better options? I can climb with the stock gears, but cadence goes down and heart rate goes up!

Appreciate the advice I have already gotten on this thread; it has been helpful.

My initial plan was to use the Defy 3 for fitness, and get back on a mountain bike seriously...but all of the opportunities to ride a roadie have become addicting.

Thanks
1. Even if you have thousands of $$$ screaming to be released from your wallet, a bike upgrade to something "better" at this early stage won't necessarily make you faster. Instead, concentrate on getting in shape and dialing your bike to fit your needs. A 9 speed is all you need. I don't ever use the top 2 gears on my 10 speed because at speeds above 35mph, I'm tucked in with the crank arms horizontal... coasting. I find that at those speeds, its more about aerodynamic efficiency than pedaling.

2. You're gonna want at least a 30T on the back for those brutal climbs. At 4-5 mph it is better to be spinning than walking the bike up Wolf Pen Gap. I switched from a 11-28 to a 12-32 and find it to be ideal for the steep stuff. At least you're smart enough NOT to climb Brasstown Bald.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #30133
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can
 
DLdeano's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: N. Georgia, USA
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
1. Even if you have thousands of $$$ screaming to be released from your wallet, a bike upgrade to something "better" at this early stage won't necessarily make you faster. Instead, concentrate on getting in shape and dialing your bike to fit your needs...

2. You're gonna want at least a 30T on the back for those brutal climbs. At 4-5 mph it is better to be spinning than walking the bike up Wolf Pen Gap. I switched from a 11-28 to a 12-32 and find it to be ideal for the steep stuff. At least you're smart enough NOT to climb Brasstown Bald.
Appreciate the advice;that is what I was thinking and the exact conclusion I came too. I do NOT want to get a new bike as I really like the Defy, but being new didn't know how much "entry level" really was sorted to carrying my girth to the next level. I figure it is stupid to spend more money to finish in the back of the pack!!

I stopped by the shop today and he said the stock Sora stuff will support up to a 32 on the rear. I am going to order a new cassette in a few weeks. Not too sure if I'll go 30 or 32, but I have never heard anybody complain, "I had too low a gear!!"

I'll probably switch to the 32 for the event, and then the 30 for everyday stuff so I can push my rides out a bit farther. I live in the foothills, so there are plenty of opportunities to climb and work on my fitness and technique.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #30134
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
Appreciate the advice;that is what I was thinking and the exact conclusion I came too. I do NOT want to get a new bike as I really like the Defy, but being new didn't know how much "entry level" really was sorted to carrying my girth to the next level. I figure it is stupid to spend more money to finish in the back of the pack!!

I stopped by the shop today and he said the stock Sora stuff will support up to a 32 on the rear. I am going to order a new cassette in a few weeks. Not too sure if I'll go 30 or 32, but I have never heard anybody complain, "I had too low a gear!!"

I'll probably switch to the 32 for the event, and then the 30 for everyday stuff so I can push my rides out a bit farther. I live in the foothills, so there are plenty of opportunities to climb and work on my fitness and technique.
I'd suggest getting that 30 or 32 with the BIGGEST small gear you can get, too, like a 13. odds are you're not getting any good use out of the 11 or 12 you likely have now, by having a 13 small sprocket, all your gears are closer spaced, and all of them become useful.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #30135
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I have one point.
Make sure you keep the tension up on it.... It may loosen over the ride.
Yup... After about 100 miles the ride was not so nice. A little more tension made it feel much nicer. I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop some serious coin on one of these once I get home...
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014