Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #3001
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
LeMond is a fine old name in bikes. I have no idea what they are like now, but they made quite good roadbikes in the 60s/70s

edit: oops, confusing them with someone else :) Greg LeMond started LeMond cycles in the late 80s when he was a world champion road racer.
Lemond is owned by Trek, but builds bikes with a more classic stretched out geometry. It's far from a chic boutique brand, but neither of us cares enough to pay the premium for a boutique bike.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #3002
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
Lemond is owned by Trek, but builds bikes with a more classic stretched out geometry. It's far from a chic boutique brand, but neither of us cares enough to pay the premium for a boutique bike.
ah, I suspected such a connection, due to the use of Bontrager components (another company acquired by Trek).
Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #3003
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,411
Cool2

Trek owns the following: Bontrager, Klein, Gary Fisher, Lemond.. did I miss anything?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #3004
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Trek owns the following: Bontrager, Klein, Gary Fisher, Lemond.. did I miss anything?
Coke, Ford, Kleenex, and Microsoft. Trek owns everything.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #3005
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
and people bitch about Specialized, heh. Trek shut Bontrager (a santa cruz local high end bike maker) down, and now just uses it as a brand name on a bunch of different stuff (tires, forks, yada yada).

AFAIK, Specialized has designed all their own stuff and not acquired anyone. Per a bit of googling, they are still majority owned by the founder, although they sold a significant minority interest to Meridia of Taiwan, who has been one of their principal suppliers all along.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #3006
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
and people bitch about Specialized, heh. Trek shut Bontrager (a santa cruz local high end bike maker) down, and now just uses it as a brand name on a bunch of different stuff (tires, forks, yada yada).

AFAIK, Specialized has designed all their own stuff and not acquired anyone. Per a bit of googling, they are still majority owned by the founder, although they sold a significant minority interest to Meridia of Taiwan, who has been one of their principal suppliers all along.

Trek shut bontrager down?
I was under the impression that Keith Bontrager sold the name and his skills to Trek and moved out of frame production. His choice.

Somebody's getting a bit defensive.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #3007
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Trek shut bontrager down?
I was under the impression that Keith Bontrager sold the name and his skills to Trek and moved out of frame production. His choice.

Somebody's getting a bit defensive.
Trek bought Bontrager Cycles, made and sold Bontrager branded frames and bikes for a few years, then shut down the frameshop, and just continued to use the brandname on wheels and assorted components. I gather Keith still works for Trek (per wikipedia bio). BTW, Santa Cruz Cycles is a spinnoff of Bontrager Cycles, was cofounded by Keith's ex-partner.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #3008
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Trek bought Bontrager Cycles, made and sold Bontrager branded frames and bikes for a few years, then shut down the frameshop, and just continued to use the brandname on wheels and assorted components. I gather Keith still works for Trek (per wikipedia bio). BTW, Santa Cruz Cycles is a spinnoff of Bontrager Cycles, was cofounded by Keith's ex-partner.

I just had a conversation yesterday with a supposed friend of Keith's. She relayed the story as being pretty benign. Keith was struggling to stay afloat, making great parts and bikes, but being a shitty business person. Trek came in and asked if they'd like to be part of Trek, designing parts, but not building frames. Keith said yes and is still the head of Bontrager.

Am I being hypocritical for not liking Specialized because I know of very specific shit they pulled (having your lawyers go after a company for using "stumptown" in the name of a bike made in stumptown is bad enough for any sane person to say "fuck you Specialized"), and not disliking Trek for stuff I don't know that they might have done?

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #3009
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
A 2005 Klein Attitude XV.

It's Very Niiiiice.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #3010
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,160
So, I am now officialy in the group "The Horribles". Been riding my fixed gear every day. Getting pretty good on it. We went out the other night and did a 35+ mile ride at a killer pace. That was after riding around Seattle for the day. 2 days later and I'm still sore.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #3011
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
The Horribles? Are they anything like The Warriors?
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #3012
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
Eek

Quote:

I just had a conversation yesterday with a supposed friend of Keith's. She relayed the story as being pretty benign. Keith was struggling to stay afloat, making great parts and bikes, but being a shitty business person. Trek came in and asked if they'd like to be part of Trek, designing parts, but not building frames. Keith said yes and is still the head of Bontrager.

Am I being hypocritical for not liking Specialized because I know of very specific shit they pulled (having your lawyers go after a company for using "stumptown" in the name of a bike made in stumptown is bad enough for any sane person to say "fuck you Specialized"), and not disliking Trek for stuff I don't know that they might have done?
Part A. That's the story. Many of the Bontrager employees now work at Santa Cruz and SC is actually in the same location that Bontrager used to be in. Keith now rides a ton and is in really good shape. He puts in Mega-miles riding and testing all through the Santa Cruz Mountains and races 24 hour events (often with the Dirt Rag crew) and does several multi-day MTB stage races like the Trans-Rockies and Trans-Alps. The sale was a good thing, but it was still hard to take. Keith didn't get rich off of it but he has a great job now (and he didn't know then that the frame shop would be shut down so soon) and doesn't have to not pay himself to keep the payroll going.

Part B

You got me Knary. That lawyer shit can be harsh and I know Specialized has had some heavy handed moments. Man did they ever get screwed with some recent sponsorships. First golden boy MTB racer Filip Meirhaeghe gets popped for Epo and then they sponsor Quick-Step (Tom Boonen) and a fire storm erupts involving Patrick Lefevere past present and future indiscretions. When Johan Museeuw finally admitted drug use this past January (he had been caught and banned and had retired but kept denying it. His change of heart came when the prosecutor convinced him to plea bargain - a confession - Apparently they told him they had enough evidence to send him to jail.) Any way, Musseuw's confession opened up a can of worms and a lot of fingers are pointed at Lefevre. Specialized must be going not again! I think they make pretty nice bikes though.
What indiscretions are you worried about over at Trek?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #3013
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
So, I am now officialy in the group "The Horribles". Been riding my fixed gear every day. Getting pretty good on it. We went out the other night and did a 35+ mile ride at a killer pace. That was after riding around Seattle for the day. 2 days later and I'm still sore.

Cool I just did my biggest fixed ride last wknd (36m) and I feel pretty good. It's amazing, my avg speed really hasn't suffered from when I rode gears.

Still haven't mastered trackstands, or skidstops (tires are expensive anyway). I'm doing the 5boro bike ride in May (I think it's the largest bike ride in the world) where they shut down half of NYC and the outer boro's to bicycles. Gonna take the Fixed this time (45mile course, approx.).

Fixed is fun.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #3014
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I just got my new fixie on the road. It's been about 5 years since I've had one and all I can say is a 46x16 is too big!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #3015
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B
Part A. That's the story. Many of the Bontrager employees now work at Santa Cruz and SC is actually in the same location that Bontrager used to be in. Keith now rides a ton and is in really good shape. He puts in Mega-miles riding and testing all through the Santa Cruz Mountains and races 24 hour events (often with the Dirt Rag crew) and does several multi-day MTB stage races like the Trans-Rockies and Trans-Alps. The sale was a good thing, but it was still hard to take. Keith didn't get rich off of it but he has a great job now (and he didn't know then that the frame shop would be shut down so soon) and doesn't have to not pay himself to keep the payroll going.

Part B

You got me Knary. That lawyer shit can be harsh and I know Specialized has had some heavy handed moments. Man did they ever get screwed with some recent sponsorships. First golden boy MTB racer Filip Meirhaeghe gets popped for Epo and then they sponsor Quick-Step (Tom Boonen) and a fire storm erupts involving Patrick Lefevere past present and future indiscretions. When Johan Museeuw finally admitted drug use this past January (he had been caught and banned and had retired but kept denying it. His change of heart came when the prosecutor convinced him to plea bargain - a confession - Apparently they told him they had enough evidence to send him to jail.) Any way, Musseuw's confession opened up a can of worms and a lot of fingers are pointed at Lefevre. Specialized must be going not again! I think they make pretty nice bikes though.
What indiscretions are you worried about over at Trek?
Thank you for the additional info.

I don't know what Trek may or may not have done. I was responding to Pierce's comment...
Quote:
... that was spurred by a response to my saying that my wife might be getting a Lemond.

I believe in making at least an effort to support companies with 'better' business practices. I'm not naive about what's involved in running a large business, but, again, Specialized's involvement in the shutting down of a local and much loved bike company (Mountain Cycle) makes me not want to give them any of my money.

Portland, as you know, takes its bicycles very seriously - too seriously, IMHO. So this topic is a very sensitive one around here and all the more amusing with Trek's and Specialized's number one dealers (or #2 or #3 depending on who's counting what year) both here in Portland. Trek's is The Bike Gallery. The owner of which is very involved in the local cycling scene and actively supports organizations like the Community Cycling Center (great place a couple blocks from my house). Specialized's is River City Bicycles, the other big bike shop in town. These two current giant brands of the industry are clearly well represented here, the land of the anti-corporate boutique bike shop and builder. If we could sell disdain, we'd be the richest city in the world.

p.s. disdain is best served while drinking Starbucks and wearing a pair of Nike sneakers.

Goodbye Toolfan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: