Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #30136
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I'd suggest getting that 30 or 32 with the BIGGEST small gear you can get, too, like a 13. odds are you're not getting any good use out of the 11 or 12 you likely have now, by having a 13 small sprocket, all your gears are closer spaced, and all of them become useful.
Ordered the cassette today...will be able to try it for the weekend. I had no options as he said Shimano only made one 30T rear. I am going to lose a few ratios,and will only have 1 gear greater than 27- Looks like I'll learn to climb with a 26 or spin my ass off!!

We'll see how it works out. Ratios are below-

stock12 13 14 15 17 19 21 24 27
30T11 12 14 16 18 20 23 26 30
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #30137
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,381
Short ride after work, got home late.
Did a tiny amount of climbing.
I'll have to post tomorrow. Time for bed.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #30138
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
Ordered the cassette today...will be able to try it for the weekend. I had no options as he said Shimano only made one 30T rear. I am going to lose a few ratios,and will only have 1 gear greater than 27- Looks like I'll learn to climb with a 26 or spin my ass off!!

We'll see how it works out. Ratios are below-

stock12 13 14 15 17 19 21 24 27
30T11 12 14 16 18 20 23 26 30
yeah, ugh. how about sram? they make excellent cassettes too...

maybe the alternative is a triple. 30:39:52 is a standard road triple. I think you can get them in 30:39:50 too. use this with your 12-27, or even a 13-26 or whatever. a 30/27 ratio should get you up most any hill.

there's also the touring/trekking triples that are 26:36:48 ... you'd lose 2 teeth at the high end, but get way low and good mid range with a relatively compact cassette.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #30139
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,861
Last night was the third class of the VQ Racing course. This one was designed to mimic velodrome racing, and it was brutal. The previous class was tough, but this one was so grueling that one person simply left halfway through. Two others complained that they might have to vomit. One made almost all the way through, but quit on the final 30 second interval when her legs gave out.

My heart rate was consistently in the 150's, with peaks of 163 BPM. I began to experience what felt like mild stomach cramps after the first 20 minutes, which only got worse toward the end. After an hour of this hell, I had so little strength left in my legs that the only way I could dismount was to slide off the back of the seat. After looking at my results from the first two classes, the coach felt it was time to increase my Functional Power Threshold setting by 10 points. It was a decision I came to regret, and probably should have put off for an "easier" class. Once having commited to it though, I wasn't about to take a step backward. I can take comfort in the fact that my FPT is now just 60 points short of where it needs to be to partake in an actual time trial race, and who knows what the next five weeks will bring.

http://app.strava.com/activities/69364826
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 05:51 AM
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #30140
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Last night was the third class of the VQ Racing course. This one was designed to mimic velodrome racing, and it was brutal. The previous class was tough, but this one was so grueling that one person simply left halfway through. Two others complained that they might have to vomit. One made almost all the way through, but quit on the final 30 second interval when her legs gave out.
OK then, the reports from your classmates indicate that it's almost a good mimic of the track. They'd actually have vomited if it was a real track workout.

I recall being 8 laps into a 50 lap points race (20 KM), standing up to accelerate past 30 mph, and being steadily dropped by the field. It was not a bell (sprint) lap.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #30141
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
OK then, the reports from your classmates indicate that it's almost a good mimic of the track. They'd actually have vomited if it was a real track workout.

I recall being 8 laps into a 50 lap points race (20 KM), standing up to accelerate past 30 mph, and being steadily dropped by the field. It was not a bell (sprint) lap.
There's your problem! Standing to accelerate on the track is usually counter-productive. Spin faster! (...and yeah, I've BTDT too!)

So there I was... me with 2 teammates in the last race of the night... 50lap ?scratch race? (I don't remember if it was that or a points race)

3 laps to go and there was a slowing in the pack.

So I jumped.

Hard

Got a quarter of a lap. Extended it to half a lap by 2 to go. I got a little further on the bell lap: 2/3rds of a lap up!

I started thinking 'I may just have this!' Got goose bumps.

In the middle of turn 3/4 on the last lap, the entire pack freight trains me and I end up DFL.

Ah well. At least I tried!

M
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #30142
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Interesting take on US cycling from the Dutch

M
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #30143
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Back in the day...

Yes the track is tough. I think that's why the sprinters look like middle linebackers more than the Tim Burton characters we see in the grand tours.
Huge effort, you learn to relax on the real track by letting go of your legs. Since they are tied to your inertia and move as you move. You can always tell the newbs, they are the folks whose heads are snapped within inches of the stem when they try to freewheel.

I would have puked.
and fallen off the simulator.
Quote:

My heart rate was consistently in the 150's, with peaks of 163 BPM. I began to experience what felt like mild stomach cramps after the first 20 minutes, which only got worse toward the end. After an hour of this hell, I had so little strength left in my legs that the only way I could dismount was to slide off the back of the seat. After looking at my results from the first two classes, the coach felt it was time to increase my Functional Power Threshold setting by 10 points. It was a decision I came to regret, and probably should have put off for an "easier" class. Once having commited to it though, I wasn't about to take a step backward. I can take comfort in the fact that my FPT is now just 60 points short of where it needs to be to partake in an actual time trial race, and who knows what the next five weeks will bring.

http://app.strava.com/activities/69364826
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #30144
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Interesting take on US cycling from the Dutch

M
I lived in Amsterdam for two years. The reason bicycling is so popular there isn't really because Holland is 'bicycle friendly', but because it's 'car un-friendly'. Many of the roads were built centuries ago and weren't designed for automobiles. There is no room for parking by the side of the road, and there are no parking garages. If you need to get around, you walk, ride a bicycle, or a scooter. Lots of streets there are paved with cobblestones. Cobblestones are not nice to ride on, and they're slippery after the rain (it rains constantly in Holland). Winters there are miserable. Ice forms rapidly on surfaces, making two wheeled transportation a risky proposition. During that time of year, people put their bikes away and put on their ice skates. Bike theft is also a big problem. You don't dare leave your bike anywhere it can't be secured to an imovable object because it would be stolen in seconds. A Dutchman would be shocked to see the rows of bicycles parked outside in the US with no locks on them.

Some random photos I took during my last trip to Holland:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #30145
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post

Back in the day...

Yes the track is tough. I think that's why the sprinters look like middle linebackers more than the Tim Burton characters we see in the grand tours.
Huge effort, you learn to relax on the real track by letting go of your legs. Since they are tied to your inertia and move as you move. You can always tell the newbs, they are the folks whose heads are snapped within inches of the stem when they try to freewheel.

I would have puked.
and fallen off the simulator.
The problem for me is that the VQ 'Racing' course is the last of an entire series of eight week courses that takes a year to complete. Those earlier courses teach you the fundamentals like hill climbing, power, endurance, etc. Most people in the class have already completed those courses, so they should (in theory) be better prepared than I am. I didn't want to wait another eight weeks until the series started over again, so I signed up for this one. That may have been a mistake, but it's too late to do anything about that now.
One good thing about our class is that the coach is an ex-pro racer. He doesn't tolerate quitters, and if he catches anyone slacking off even a little bit, he'll come right over and yell at them.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #30146
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Last nights ride.
Man, I felt crappy. Legs felt like they were square or something. Finally got to feeling better on the second to last climb.

I intentionally went easy to ease back into riding, from two days off the bike, but way too many stairs and bending ad lifting when I should not have been lifting.
Might try some hills again tonight. We'll see how I do for getting home on time.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #30147
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
The reason bicycling is so popular there isn't really because Holland is 'bicycle friendly', but because it's 'car un-friendly'.

A Dutchman would be shocked to see the rows of bicycles parked outside in the US with no locks on them.
One thing about your postings, always an Aurelius view of things in it.

I did a lot of travel to/within the Netherlands in the '90s and early 2000s, nice place.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #30148
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

There're perils to DIY-ing carbon rims straight from china

The $100+ in spokes I ordered based on the info from the manufacturer?

Useless.

Based on the #s given and plugged into spocalc, I *should* have the right stuff. Key word being *should.*

So far: neither King hubs are matching up to the spoke lengths put out by spocalc. I'm gonna go try some of the D/A hubs on other rims to see if I'm just out $ for spokes.

M
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #30149
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 997
Got a late start yesterday and decided it was too hot and bailed after an hour. I felt bad about it so I got up early today and tried again. My local climbing route up both forks of the canyon. 8 Minutes faster than last time three weeks ago.

soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #30150
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
There's your problem! Standing to accelerate on the track is usually counter-productive. Spin faster! (...and yeah, I've BTDT too!)

So there I was... me with 2 teammates in the last race of the night... 50lap ?scratch race? (I don't remember if it was that or a points race)

3 laps to go and there was a slowing in the pack.

So I jumped.

Hard

Got a quarter of a lap. Extended it to half a lap by 2 to go. I got a little further on the bell lap: 2/3rds of a lap up!

I started thinking 'I may just have this!' Got goose bumps.

In the middle of turn 3/4 on the last lap, the entire pack freight trains me and I end up DFL.

Ah well. At least I tried!

M
Yeah, desperate times and I was standing like a Canadian Junior! Last board I saw that night was 40 to go.

Anything longer than 20 laps at Marymoor, and I was just riding to survive.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: