Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #30166
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Couple gear questions...

Since RAGBRAI I've thought of some stuff I want for the LHT:

1st is a rack. Preferably steel so it's repairable. Tubus Cargo seems to be the way to go, anybody think otherwise?

2nd are shoes with recessed cleats. Was going to do Shimano SPD with the double-sided pedals (I know there are double pedal haters but it's what I want ), but I haven't made my mind up about shoes. There are the shoes like that are like my road shoes (so I imagine perform better) or there are the shoes that look more like normal/running shoes (which I imagine look better and are more practical off the bike but maybe not as good on the bike). Anybody have personal experience that says which way to go?
1.) I wouldn't let repair-ability affect my decision, unless you're going around the world. Tubus is great stuff. I'd, also, suggest looking at Surly's racks. They're very versatile, with a lot of bag mounting options. Plus, they're steel.

2.) I ride in those casual, kinda' shoes. Yeah, maybe they're not as efficient. Who cares? I'm not racing. I'd rather be more comfortable, on or off the bike. I'd suggest taking your bike to the shop, put it on a trainer, and try on some shoes and pedals.

Quote:
Being clipped in doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just want to have the option of not wearing bicycle shoes sometimes. We live in town and there's a lot of stuff going on nearby, and I don't want to have to put bike shoes on every time I want to ride the bike.
I'd suggest Crank Brothers Mallet 3. They're large enough platform to be universal (clipped or not). CB's system works so much smoother than Shimano's. I started on SPD, switched to Speedplay, switched to CB, and haven't looked back. I love the action of CB's stuff.

My GF has double-sided SPDs and I chuckle everytime she gets on them and is looking down, trying to get clipped in. What a PITA!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #30167
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Gang, as the local bike guru in my circle of friends, I get asked for recommendations. This latest one's a doozy - a friend of mine who is morbidly obese (300+ pounds, around 5'4") wants to start some gentle trail riding & maybe a few laps at a local park. A gateway to getting in shape.

So, yeah, high spoke count & double-walled rims. Steel frame. Any other recommendations you'd make? Thanks.
Make sure it's geared lowwwwwwwwww

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #30168
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Props, to you guys and the vintage Schwinn in the background.
That guy was a beast... Did the whole thing in gym clothes, no bike gear, had these worn out old plastic platform pedals, and still went faster than me the whole time!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #30169
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
My GF has double-sided SPDs and I chuckle everytime she gets on them and is looking down, trying to get clipped in. What a PITA!
I've thought about that but I figure it can't be any worse than the single-sided SPD-SL pedals I used all last week. At least with recessed cleats and dual-platform you can still pedal if you don't get clipped in right away

I'll take a look at the Crank Brothers stuff... I thought I heard that they needed more maintenance than SPD but I might be wrong.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #30170
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Gang, as the local bike guru in my circle of friends, I get asked for recommendations. This latest one's a doozy - a friend of mine who is morbidly obese (300+ pounds, around 5'4") wants to start some gentle trail riding & maybe a few laps at a local park. A gateway to getting in shape.

So, yeah, high spoke count & double-walled rims. Steel frame. Any other recommendations you'd make? Thanks.
Rigid front fork.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #30171
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
I'd suggest Crank Brothers Mallet 3. They're large enough platform to be universal (clipped or not). CB's system works so much smoother than Shimano's. I started on SPD, switched to Speedplay, switched to CB, and haven't looked back. I love the action of CB's stuff.

I'll second the Mallet pedals for broad-range usability... street shoes or mtb will work. You just might feel the clips through a soft-soled street shoe. IIRC, Crank Bros made a platform that could easily be installed/removed from their Candy pedals to convert them to flats.

You might look at Old Man Mountain racks as well.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #30172
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:

Hang out with these guys:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...00-lb-91-kg%29

Lots of folks there who made some impressive lifestyle changes and also have probably collectively bent or broken damn near every part on the market.

If we can't kill it, it can't be killed.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #30173
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
the 5"4" part suggests a 26" older steel unsuspended mountain bike to me. get some really strong wheels spoked up if the original ones are funky.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #30174
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
I'll take a look at the Crank Brothers stuff... I thought I heard that they needed more maintenance than SPD but I might be wrong.
Meh. Their 1 and 2 level pedals have bushings that wear out. The level 3 are full bearings, which is the only way to go. I'm somewhere around 4K miles on a set of Candys. My Eggbeaters (MTB) don't get much use, but, no problems with them, either. I've heard of guys breaking them, on rocks. But, what does a rock not break?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #30175
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Meh. Their 1 and 2 level pedals have bushings that wear out. The level 3 are full bearings, which is the only way to go. I'm somewhere around 4K miles on a set of Candys. My Eggbeaters (MTB) don't get much use, but, no problems with them, either. I've heard of guys breaking them, on rocks. But, what does a rock not break?
I've smashed my Wellgo pin platforms into some rocks pretty hard and its barely scratched them.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #30176
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I've smashed my Wellgo pin platforms into some rocks pretty hard and its barely scratched them.
Wellgo has some great prices. They make a set of pedals that look just like the Look pedals I want, but at a much lower price. Are they any good?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #30177
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,312
I have 4 pairs of their Shimano replicas, and as a 200lb cat 2, they've survived 7+ years. A bit heavy but so far, reliable. These look like but are NOT shimano compatible

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #30178
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Wellgo has some great prices. They make a set of pedals that look just like the Look pedals I want, but at a much lower price. Are they any good?

I've had MG1s on my Yeti for about a year now and LOVE 'em. I've already replaced a crumbling bottom bracket that went on at the same time, but the pedals are still silky smooth. I've lost one peg, but that's easy enough to replace. On my next big order, Ima get another set for my hardtail.

I think I paid around $45 shipped, which is much less than what the competitors are offering for comparable quality. They're light too! Great pedal!

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #30179
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I guess my question would be, why do you want the double sided pedals? Are you anticipating forgetting your cleated riding shoes and having to ride with whatever you have on? Are you less than confident about being clipped in, and want the option of riding with flat pedals on more challenging terrain?
The guys in the shop I work in LOVE the single-sided SPDs. I don't get it. If you're gonna get SPD-style pedals, you may as well go all-in. One of the big plusses to SPD-style pedals is being able to clip in on both sides. No faffing about with flipping over pedals any more, etc. Eliminate one side?

To shoes: Get the firmer soles. Your feet'll thank you. You don't need the uber-expensive racing shoes unless you get em on closeout.

HTH

M
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #30180
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:

Mtn bike with a 40-hole rear wheel. 36h at the lightest.

Room for BIG ole tires.

No QR for the seatpost. Maybe even two clamps.

I had a customer come in (taller, but the same weight range) looking to get into riding. Ended up with a Schwinn cruiser style bike. He's already been back for a seatpost clamp.

Betcha he'll be back shortly with wheel problems. The stock wheels on those bikes aren't the best-tensioned and I didn't have time to go thru and re-do the whole thing.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: